Recycling response lines is ruining this for me...

TheRealDestian

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my trooper has said "Dangerous jobs are what I do best. I'm in!" about 30 times now.

Likewise, my smugger has said "You're about to see a real live hero in action!" more times than I can count.

In a game that touts full voice acting, this is heavily immersion-breaking. Every time one of my characters reuses a line, I cringe.

Why is my character resorting to what may as well be a "catch phrase"? :(

I don't recall Han Solo saying "I have a bad feeling about this..." 30 some odd times...

He's dead Jim.

I have to agree with the OP. Hearing the same lines again and again like that just screams "We're cutting corners!" It gets even worse if the delivery of the line in question sounds cheesy or simply makes it seem out of place (ie it appears like your character has a very sudden and brief mood swing).

"I'll get right on that"

"It's already finished"

"I don't see the problem here"

"This is going to be an issue"

"Mornin"

"See you tomorrow"

All lines that I tend to reuse with impunity when I'm working. No one ever told me it breaks immersion, though.

But this is no different than real life, where you repeat certain lines over and over again.

In real life, I've never said the same thing twice with identical inflection and timing unless I was doing it to be ironic.

My trooper once said the "dangerous jobs" line twice within the span of 5 minutes. I half expect him to go off like "Rainman" and start saying "Dangerous jobs" as a nervous tick like Rainman said "definitely".

It'll be random, and there'll be a lot of responses. Some you may hear often, some not so often.

To be honest, this is an issue that they really couldn't improve upon unless they made a such a ridiculous number of responses for each class' side-quest dialogue that you hardly ever had a chance of getting two of the same.

I think they've done enough on the voice-over part of the game at this point. Probably better that they focus their attention elsewhere.

Edited by Compression

"I'll get right on that"

"It's already finished"

"I don't see the problem here"

"This is going to be an issue"

"Mornin"

"See you tomorrow"

All lines that I tend to reuse with impunity when I'm working. No one ever told me it breaks immersion, though.

A. That's real life (and see my previous point about inflection and timing).

B. TOR cutscenes are, let's face it, supposed to be emulating the SW movies. The whole point of "cinematic cutscenes" is that they're comparable to what you'd see in a cinema.

Like I said, if Han Solo said, "I have a bad feeling about this..." 10X in every SW movie, there would be a precedent for this kind of line reuse.

I'd be less irked by it if there were 5-10 different TAKES of the voice actor saying the line, like...

"Dangerous jobs are what I do best. I'm in!"

"I've never said no to a dangerous job. Count me in!"

"Sounds dangerous. Consider it done."

etc.

Or if they even recorded the same line 10 times and randomly picked one of the 10 samples so at least your character wasn't saying the EXACT SAME CLIP EVERY TIME.

Well you can only make so many responses, to where you can't spend hours on them.

But the text is different each time, just the response is the same. I generally hate that the response is often so far different from the text i selected.

"Yippee Ki-Yay, (melon farmer)"

"Give me the keys, you (fuzzy sock sucker)"

"Watchoo talkin about, Willis?"

"Cowabunga"

"D'Oh"

"Did I do that?"

At least, in this game, repetition is a by-product of production constraints inherent in the genre rather than some attempt to create easily recognizable platitudes.

If this is causing that much of a problem for you, you may need to re-evaluate your expectations for video game dialogue.