EGA for free? Not for me. (Origin customer)

cabante

That's fine, I was merely debating this nonsense that everyone is acting like BW has been very clear and straight-forward about this. They haven't. Period.

Not multiple sources at all. Go to Origin. Go to Star Wars: The Old Republic. Scroll down to pre-order exclusives. Ooh it says early game access and it has a question mark next to it. Maybe I should find out what this early access business is all about and click on it before I commit to a purchase?

Early Game Access will begin on December 13th, 2011, seven days prior to the official launch. Starting December 13, 2011, invitations will be sent throughout the Early Game Access period offering rolling access to the game in the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code, so be sure to check your email inbox tied to your Star Wars: The Old Republic™ account!

To see if you are eligible to log in to the game for Early Game Access, log in to swtor.com and visit My Account > > Pre-Order.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been up on the official website since July 21 that Early Game Access depends on when you redeem your pre-order code. After announcing the launch date they started advertising "up to five days of Early Game Access".

I fail to see how much clearer they could have been. They did not want to set a specific timetable for Early Access - you may disagree with that decision if you wish but it was abundantly clear how it would work.

You "fail to see how much clearer they could have been?" Really? I shouldn't have to camp "the official website since July 21st" to get pertinent information. How about mentioning maybe just one of the restrictions of early access where I purchased the game. Which was through their very own store-front. It was not abundantly clear; you either put too much stock in hyperbole or don't know what words like "clear" and "abundant" mean.

You "fail to see how much clearer they could have been?" Really? I shouldn't have to camp "the official website since July 21st" to get pertinent information. How about mentioning maybe just one of the restrictions of early access where I purchased the game. Which was through their very own store-front. It was not abundantly clear; you either put too much stock in hyperbole or don't know what words like "clear" and "abundant" mean.

If you purchased it from "their very own store-front" then you got linked to Origin which is where he was talking about.* If you purchased it from anywhere else then you should have done some research first.

I still can't believe people are making such a big deal out of a week though.

*Oops two different people but the info was there.

EDIT: The info was also in the original email and was and still is on the pre-order page.

Edited by Dasffion

Isn't the whole concept of a deposit a bit ridiculous when we're talking about a download from Origin?

It isn't like you are reserving a physical copy of the game, box, whatever injection moulded trinkets the CE contains, etc.

If they run out of serials, they can just fire up the right algorithm, tell it to belch out another 50000 keys and add them to the database of valid SNs. Surely no more than a few minutes of a job?

I can understand why a deposit is required for a physical copy as there is an overhead for the retailer ordering in the box for you, and there are a finite number of boxes to go around, but this simply doesn't apply to a digital download.

That's why EA/origin dangles the carrot of early access as a reward for a digital preorder. The way the pre-order charge is explained on Origin is specifically worded to give the impression that in return for your deposit, and commitment to fork out for the game on launch day, you get a novelty colour stone and some early access. Whithout it why the hell would anyone bother? A black/yellow colour stone to see you through the first few levels? Come off it!

The rage is a result of the unspecified length of the early access. IF they'd said "order before August to get 5 days early access." "Order before September to get 4 days..." etc. there would be a lot less frustration because people would know exactly what to expect.

The flaw isn't the early access system per-se, its the poor job they've done of managing people's expectations in general.

In the case of Origin pre-orders, the fact that the pre-order fee serves no purpose beyond an early revenue stream means that people, rightly or wrongly, expect something in return for their cash.

I find it weird that people keep saying that EGA is a bonus, and it´s free.

I pre-ordered my game on Origin, and they charged me 50kr (aprox 5,5 EUR) as a pre-order fee for my EGA key.

BW must give us (that ordered @ Origin and paid extra) the full 5 days EGA.

Anyone else that bought it from Origin having these thoughts?

*going "Francis" soon*

Nobody, except Francis, can go Francis. That Jabba the Hutt impression was solid gold.

Edited by Szarkan

Not multiple sources at all. Go to Origin. Go to Star Wars: The Old Republic. Scroll down to pre-order exclusives. Ooh it says early game access and it has a question mark next to it. Maybe I should find out what this early access business is all about and click on it before I commit to a purchase?

Early Game Access will begin on December 13th, 2011, seven days prior to the official launch. Starting December 13, 2011, invitations will be sent throughout the Early Game Access period offering rolling access to the game in the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code, so be sure to check your email inbox tied to your Star Wars: The Old Republic™ account!

To see if you are eligible to log in to the game for Early Game Access, log in to swtor.com and visit My Account > > Pre-Order.

Oh, so you mean the fine print I already read was worthless and what I really needed to do was dig for the right link to click on so that it could become apparent!? Yeah, stop reaching. You're just making your position look worse. Try looking at the launcher, where I actually bought the game and not the website.

Edited by Nanotech

If you purchased it from "their very own store-front" then you got linked to Origin which is where he was talking about.* If you purchased it from anywhere else then you should have done some research first.

I still can't believe people are making such a big deal out of a week though.

*Oops two different people but the info was there.

EDIT: The info was also in the original email and was and still is on the pre-order page.

Try using the Origin launcher. Not the website. I can clearly see that none of that information is readily available no matter how many different ways you all try to spin it. I'll reiterate: having to "do research" is also not "abundantly clear."

Edited by Nanotech

From the bloody pre-order FAQ:

At the time of pre-order purchase: $5/€5/£5 (for Standard Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition) or $20/€20/£15 (for Collector’s Edition) at the time of pre-order, for which you will receive the Pre-Order Code that entitles you to the pre-order offers, including Early Game Access and an exclusive pre-order in-game Color Stone.

At the time the full purchase of your official Game is fulfilled: The price for the edition of Star Wars: The Old Republic you had pre-ordered, minus the $5/€5/£5 or $20/€20/£15 already charged at the time of pre-order.

please read this..

Well sorry but if you buy it off somewhere requiring a deposit then yes you will have to fork out some cash before hand, but that has zero to do with EGA, its a deposit, is taken off the cost of the game when you make final purchase and is a common practise for those companies with most preorders.

I paid for EGA. I swear, I did!

I sent envelopes and envelopes of cash money to the developers to let me in early.

BUT THEY LIED!

uhhh .... uh oh.

I didn't put my name on the envelopes.

Damn it!

Okay I'm done trolling.

Edited by Sevenpatch

Try using the Origin launcher. Not the website. I can clearly see that none of that information is readily available no matter how many different ways you all try to spin it. I'll reiterate: having to "do research" is also not "abundantly clear."

You were able to order from the origin launcher?

erhmm no ? My Origin order reads like this:

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Standard Edition Pre-Order Fee - £5.00

OP is right, we need to have 5 days so this means Bioware should open the gates today, end of story. Its stupid anyway to restrict 1 more day the servers for the last week of Nov till today.

erhmmm yes!

Product SKU: 71199

Product Name: STAR WARS: The Old Republic Digital Deluxe Edition (Pre-Ordered)

Anticipated Released Date: null

Product SKU: 71185

Product Name: Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Deluxe Edition Pre-Order Fee

Total: £59.99

Discount: £5.00

That DISCOUNT is the £5 PRE-ORDER FEE, so you DID NOT PAY EXTRA FOR PRE-ORDER!

Edited by KerinKor

You were able to order from the origin launcher?

Not the launcher itself; although I thought that's what they called it. The Origin app or whatever it is. I had it left over from when the Battlefield 3 beta was out and I saw they were taking SWTOR pre-orders, so I clicked on it and purchased my pre-order through there.

Edited by Nanotech

I pre-ordered my game on Origin, and they charged me 50kr (aprox 5,5 EUR) as a pre-order fee for my EGA key.

BW must give us (that ordered @ Origin and paid extra) the full 5 days EGA

No, I can read and I can comprehend, but for those that need it spelled out for them, go here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=167528#post167528

If you don't understand my thread, well... yeah

Nobody, except Francis, can go Francis. That Jabba the Hutt impression was solid gold.

I watched that clip several times, laughed every time! :)

Back to topic, I actually thought that there was going to be 5 days head start. But seems like I was wrong, or.. I don't know but, I have paid and played "EGA" before in other games, and it was clear then.

Anyways, if it now is as some say, that the stuff on Origin is just BS and we might not get more than 1 day (extreme case) EGA,.. still, they sure could have made that a bit more clear. Obviously there are MANY that don't see it that way...that aren't stupid.

yes they give you a $5 dollor discount but the fee is for EGA and color stone. so OP you are right . you paid a pre-order fee that included EGA.

While that is semantically correct it's also totally irrelevant, since he would NOT have paid less without EGA access.

And in any case, EGA was UP TO FIVE days NOT FIVE days, so he still hasn't got anything to whine about .

Edited by KerinKor

erhmm no ? My Origin order reads like this:

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Standard Edition Pre-Order Fee - £5.00

OP is right, we need to have 5 days so this means Bioware should open the gates today, end of story. Its stupid anyway to restrict 1 more day the servers for the last week of Nov till today.

What ever they call it IS removed from the final cost and it IS a deposit.

While that is semantically correct it's also totally irrelevant, since he would NOT have paid less without EGA access.

And in any case, EGA was UP TO FIVE days NOT FIVE days, so he still hasn't got anything to whine about .

Actually theoretically everyone that pre-ordered that doesn't get in today could sue Bioware and EA for fraud. The up to 5 days thing has been up since pre-orders were started, but one can make a strong argument that because the plans for the staggered release were pretty much set in stone from the beginning that anyone that pre-ordered after the cut off day today... indeed actually the the cut off day of the first day... was lied to because after x amount of pre-orders went out there was no chance of getting the "up to 5 days." So that should have been changed the moment that threshold was breached because as soon as that happened it became false advertisement.

And just to drill the point home a little more...

Some people are saying people who pre-ordered in December have no chance of getting in today. They say that quite remarkably as if it is obvious, but if that is the case then it then should also be the case that it is obvious that the "up to 5 days" is in breach as there was obviously no way someone who ordered in December would get in 5 days early yet they still advertised that.

I'm pretty sure they realize this and someone in their legal department pointed it out and that's probably why the push back of 2 days and that's why I'm pretty sure everyone will be in today by the end of the day...besides the fact that if they aren't then the last few people that would get in tomorrow would have a very small pool of people to go threw the newbie zones with and that's not good either.

I find it weird that people keep saying that EGA is a bonus, and it´s free.

BW must give us (that ordered @ Origin and paid extra) the full 5 days EGA.

Anyone else that bought it from Origin having these thoughts?

*going "Francis" soon*

The pre-Order fee is for pre-ordering the game, the EGA isn't part of that on Origins end since Origin is the publishers tool. The EGA is from BioWare and NOTHING to do with Origin. Go wipe away your tears before some WoW Warlock smells them and comes over here.

so anyone who not preordered true Origin and is from europe , what did you pay , if you would check your bank acount ?

they charged a total of 54,99 it's the same price as stated in origin that includes the preorder fee so ?

that mean if someone who knows what they were charged and it would be 49,99 then YES i have paid a fee for preorder !

if anyone could confirm ... (even before big cleaup) iv been to endless topics about this but cant realy find a official or good answer but no you read it wrong just personal opinions realy so far as i seen ..

Edited by Genesizs