SWTOR was promising. I liked it untill now.

jordanph

I started playing shortly after christmas and hit 50 some days ago...

I didnt play just 1 hour per day, didnt level 10 alts, so I dont really know what I should think of people who hit 50 that fast and get bored.

Of course you get bored.

Swtor is a lot more casual friendly then wow.

Its not ment to rush to 50 and do all the things that fast.

Maybe take things a bit more slowly and less serious next time.

Saying WOW is not casual friendly ??!?!?!

Oh My God :eek:

Most casual friendly mmo in existence

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahaha

haters gonna hate

The majority of what the OP posted was true. And surprisingly, many subscribers do feel this way. Just started playing rift, and I realized...

SWTOR great game, great story, great graphics and animations. What is it lacking? A "AAA-standard" of a 2012 mmo. Sorry guys, but its the truth and you ALL know it. Unless SWTOR moves away from the typical NA mmo developing trends, its gonna be another WAR online.

hahahaha

haters gonna hate

The majority of what the OP posted was true. And surprisingly, many subscribers do feel this way. Just started playing rift, and I realized...

SWTOR great game, great story, great graphics and animations. What is it lacking? A "AAA-standard" of a 2012 mmo. Sorry guys, but its the truth and you ALL know it. Unless SWTOR moves away from the typical NA mmo developing trends, its gonna be another WAR online.

Your opinion does not equal truth, this really shouldn't be a tough concept to understand unless you are a narcissist.

The idea of calling WoW PVP, real pvp is absurd. WoW has ruined PvP now because every mmo wants to follow suite. If you want to talk about PVP and say swtor failed at it then compare it to games like DAOC or shadowbane. WoW has always been care bear PvP. Grinding for gear is not PvP. I'd take DAOC 8 mans over WoW arena any day of the year.

Not trying to flame but it gets old hearing people act as if wow was real PVP. Wow had open world PVP that was just as dead as SWTOR.Sk

Edited by sheerhatred

Hello

I got to level fifty about one month ago from now and I couldn't stop bragging about how amazing this game was. I was on these forums daily trying to fight away the people who hate this game and making suggestions for end game. Quite simply you can call me blinded and obsessed. I couldn't face denial that this game actually is bad.

Here I am now then telling you why I dislike the game and seeing if I can relate to those who back up this game that had promise but has lost it.

1) PvP:

PvP was promising. Huttball was new and enjoyable (imo) and the other two warzones were attractive and easy to get used to. However after playing these same three warzones over and over with no differentiation is a drag. Especially having to get to valor 60 for the best gear simply either farming rare empire kills in illum (I say rare because each one I attack has 5 people on back-up behind them) or farming those three warzones alot!!

"Why can you not play this game just because you enjoy playing?" I did enjoy playing but come on, be logical. Doing the same three things over and over simply doesn't maintain it's excitement.

2) PvE: Just flashpoint after flashpoint and the only reason to do it is for the gear piece at the end to be traded for columi. No decent gear any other way. Flashpoint drops were terrible. Took forever to find a full group even tho its only 4 man. No reputation gains to buy gear from reputation vendors etc. Just a boring one way street.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvP

• Dueling in durotar/elwynn added competitiveness against own faction. Cannot happen here because there is no dueling area within 10 seconds from the main part of the fleet without going through a loading screen.
  • Arena. Yes arena added excitement to PvP and added competition. I enjoy competition and therefore is why SWTOR has lost its edge for me. No matter how much you hate arena it is still better than anything SWTOR has to offer at this moment. It consists of rewards if you are good and is not dependant on others. It feels personal to you making a team. Just endless hours could be spent trying to increase rating and the feeling of winning was great.
  • Ratings for arena and battleground groups. Added competition and elitism. Made the community thrive in a bad or good way. Depends how you think about it.
  • Battleground were alot larger than SWTORs and added an MMO feel to it. Mounting included.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvE

• It didn't just involve token rewards from dungeons. The actual gear from dungeons was useful. Made people have a sense of excitement when killing a boss waiting for loot to drop. Wasn't free access to token gear at the end of each dungeon.
  • The token grind for gear that was worth XXXX amount of tokens wasn't long. It was only 2 weeks of lock time or so. Compared to SWTOR this is short.
  • One of my favorite features of WoW when it was in WoW was the daily heroic where you had to kill a specific boss in a specific dungeon.
  • Dungeon finder was easy to use and using it gave rewards.

The reasons why WoW was enjoyable

• Community was larger and auction house was thriving. Had an actual economy. Felt good.
  • Events that took place when events took palce in reality. E.G christmas events that gave you decent rewards from doing christmas stuff or valentines day etc etc.
  • You could re-do you characters hair style at the barbers.
  • Professions felt great once they were leveled to the max. Felt like you achieved something.
  • Fishing, Archaeology, First aid etc
  • You could attack the enemy cities. Also attack towns and cities alone as long as you avoided elites because guards were only normal mobs. In SWTOR guards are champions for most places.
  • Flying mounts
  • Quick travel with portals.
  • Daily quest zone had dailys close together and it interacted with opposite faction. So it could also be pvp. Zones were small and easy to complete. Not a drag. Illum daily area doesn't have much zones shared with imperial and is quite the drag in illum.
  • Guilds had reputation/amazing rewards for being exalted with guild. Heirlooms to level alts with. Mounts etc.
  • The ammount of gear varied massively and it wasn't allways the vendor gear that was the best. Unlike SWTOR where you can only rely on vendor gear.

The reasons why Rift was enjoyable for me (I played no part in pvp so I have no idea what it is like)

• Frequent world events / updates. Rifts opened and invasions happened where community would group up.
  • Zones were shared with opposite faction at higher level instead of split into two halves.
  • PvE gear was aquired only from bosses. Vendor gear was not necessary the best gear again. Also crafted gear was good and there was crafting daily/weekly.
  • Crafting was updated frequently
  • Training dummys
  • Multiple currencys from rifts. Allowed purchase of gear that could be used at end-game level.
  • Reputation mounts.
  • 10-man instances were completely different to 25-man. 10 man rifts were available and 5 man.
  • two tiers of dungeon at launch.
  • and more!

Great post.

If your interested, Rift has everything you mentioned and even more activities to do over WoW in my opinion (onslaughts, instant adventure, etc). It has a great amount of end game content that is diverse and interesting.

It is sad that fanboys point to SWTOR being new when they had 200M and a half a decade to make this game. Other games came out recently (again, Rift) from no name companies with a fraction of the budget and are far more complete.

Within two months of release Rift had tons of new content(real content. entire new areas with supporting quest chains, daily quests, reputation rewards, dungeons with great loot).

As SWTOR is turning on month 2 now..what do you have other than endless bug fixes that dont do anything?

Illum=broke (again!)

End Game Content=A joke

Bugs are still everywhere.

This game was a joke.

It is sad that fanboys point to SWTOR being new when they had 200M and a half a decade to make this game. Other games came out recently (again, Rift) from no name companies with a fraction of the budget and are far more complete.

I'm pretty sure a fanboi doesn't mean someone who has a different opinion than you. Seriously kids, get your internet meme straight and kindly get off my lawn.

The OP has some strong points, both on PvP and PvE in the end game.

Here's my emphasis:

PvE: A lack of LFG match making system is greatly felt.

PvP: all levels slapped into one bracket? really? warzones fatigue is inevitable by level 50 because excess to the same three warzones is granted from the very beginning - no new warzones are unlocked along the way, and no new levels bracket every 10 levels or so.

Edited by EranMichaelLevi

PvP: all levels slapped into one bracket? really? warzones fatigue is inevitable by level 50 because excess to the same three warzones is granted from the very beginning - no new warzones are unlocked along the way, and no new levels bracket every 10 levels or so.

Sorry but I enjoy the 10-49 bracket.

So after reading your post comparing WOW and RIft to this, almost EVERY feature you mentioned was not available for WOW from release, and most of them were not available until the first xpack, some not til the second.

So you feel it fair to compare a game with that much time, money and effort put into it to something thats been out two months... wow dude, good riddance.

WOW didnt even HAVE pvp when it came out, none zero nada.

If you want a game with that much time put into go play wow, this game has potential, yes it has problems but far less then some MMO releases (not counting Rift they really did nail release). If this was 6months or so from now I could understand the hate, but the games barely been out two months, get over yourselves.

Edited by apnixx

Great post.

If your interested, Rift has... <snipped due to uncontrollable laughter>

Do I really need to take RIFT apart here?

Nah.

End-game in rift is still doing T1 and T2 dungeon groups, PVP, Ember Isle, and rift raids. Big deal. HK? Nerfed into the ground. ROTP is a farm. I'm sure T3 won't be an improvement.

It is hardly "diverse" or "interesting". Accomplishments aren't end-game, they are fluff. Ditto with the crafting, or the stupid ePeen notoriety system.

Could you at least make one post where you don't gush over RIFT like the fanboy you are?

to the op

its no ones fault but your own that you blew through all the games content in record time. This game couldnt possibly have enough content to keep the hardcore gamers like you satiated because development costs would be prohibative. So they try and split the difference and give you hard cores a few gear grinds to keep you busy between major content patches.

As for the rest of us, the majority of us, this games got so damn much content that we'll never be able to see it all before the next major content patch. We will always be in sub max gear and thats cool because we like to play to play.

Thats just the way it is, love it, hate it, deal with it. And fyi no game is ever going to satisfy the hard cores who have nothing to do but sit at the computer for 15+ hours a day.

TLDR. Don't care. If you had that much time on your hands, maybe you should report all that BS as bugs. /bug in the game or it didn't happen. There, you learned something new from someone more intelligent.

Great point. I'd also add getting on the Testing Server. You want the devs to REALLY listen get on there. But you gotta be constructive. Detailed in the stuff you address. No fly by night reporting there.

People keep posting and posting and posting about the same issues but the fix cannot happen in a day and it gotta be tested first.

The sad part is they ALL know what a new MMO is about, why they acting up?

hahahaha

haters gonna hate

hahahaha

ignorant posters gonna be ignorant.

what part of opinion do you not understand? I mean really, is it that hard to understand that some of the things that you claim "must be in a 2012 MMO" are things that other people are just as happy aren't in the game? Or that the ones that actually are beneficial and important to the lifespan of the game are in development?

I mean seriously, internet anonymity aside, you can't possibly be so full of yourself as to believe that just because you think something, it's actually a fact.

The OP has some strong points, both on PvP and PvE in the end game.

Here's my emphasis:

PvE: A lack of LFG match making system is greatly felt.

PVE: By lack of LFG, you mean you don't know how to use the one that's in the game, right? Or you're too lazy to actually use it. Take your pick, I'd like to hear back from you.

PVP: Because having 4 people who are of the correct level to participate in the particular warzone bracket will lead to more PvP at release, right? That's why they have the bolster system, and added a 50's bracket.

Warzones take time to develop. That's why in the 8 years that WoW has released battlegrounds, they have 8 battlegrounds. We have 3 at launch, we've been told that more are incoming.

WOW didnt even HAVE pvp when it came out, none zero nada.

Oh yes it did. WoW didn't have instance PVP (BG) at launch. But there was PLENTY world PVP going on. Even the carebear servers had world pvp going on. Tarren Mills/Southshore was infamous. Not to mention Taranis, WPL, The Barrens, Ashenvale, STV. Hell I remember installing my first mod, a KOS (kill on sight) list. On PVP servers, it was "red means dead". I still have fun memoires of trying to sneak past the war raging outside of MC. And even after the first expansion - the fights outside of kara were epic.

And when instance pvp (BG) was released it was fun. At first. I suppose you don't remember the weekend long AV fights? Thos were amazingly fun. Everyone was a wreck after that fight. I remember going to sleep at 3am, waking at 9am and the fight was STILL going on. All of this encouraged a strong community. Everyone knew everyone.

But then cross realms BG's, instances, raids, name changes - all that hit and killed the community and world pvp. Running BG now, (in WoW) is like playing COD. And right now, you can be the biggest a** and just change your name. That's why WoW is a joke now.

But let me be clear, this game can not compare to WoW even was it was released in 2004. Despite have tons of cash and time, BW dropped the ball big time. This is a single player game with other people.

Edited by cagthehack

Hello

I got to level fifty about one month ago from now and I couldn't stop bragging about how amazing this game was. I was on these forums daily trying to fight away the people who hate this game and making suggestions for end game. Quite simply you can call me blinded and obsessed. I couldn't face denial that this game actually is bad.

Here I am now then telling you why I dislike the game and seeing if I can relate to those who back up this game that had promise but has lost it.

1) PvP:

PvP was promising. Huttball was new and enjoyable (imo) and the other two warzones were attractive and easy to get used to. However after playing these same three warzones over and over with no differentiation is a drag. Especially having to get to valor 60 for the best gear simply either farming rare empire kills in illum (I say rare because each one I attack has 5 people on back-up behind them) or farming those three warzones alot!!

"Why can you not play this game just because you enjoy playing?" I did enjoy playing but come on, be logical. Doing the same three things over and over simply doesn't maintain it's excitement.

2) PvE: Just flashpoint after flashpoint and the only reason to do it is for the gear piece at the end to be traded for columi. No decent gear any other way. Flashpoint drops were terrible. Took forever to find a full group even tho its only 4 man. No reputation gains to buy gear from reputation vendors etc. Just a boring one way street.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvP

• Dueling in durotar/elwynn added competitiveness against own faction. Cannot happen here because there is no dueling area within 10 seconds from the main part of the fleet without going through a loading screen.
  • Arena. Yes arena added excitement to PvP and added competition. I enjoy competition and therefore is why SWTOR has lost its edge for me. No matter how much you hate arena it is still better than anything SWTOR has to offer at this moment. It consists of rewards if you are good and is not dependant on others. It feels personal to you making a team. Just endless hours could be spent trying to increase rating and the feeling of winning was great.
  • Ratings for arena and battleground groups. Added competition and elitism. Made the community thrive in a bad or good way. Depends how you think about it.
  • Battleground were alot larger than SWTORs and added an MMO feel to it. Mounting included.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvE

• It didn't just involve token rewards from dungeons. The actual gear from dungeons was useful. Made people have a sense of excitement when killing a boss waiting for loot to drop. Wasn't free access to token gear at the end of each dungeon.
  • The token grind for gear that was worth XXXX amount of tokens wasn't long. It was only 2 weeks of lock time or so. Compared to SWTOR this is short.
  • One of my favorite features of WoW when it was in WoW was the daily heroic where you had to kill a specific boss in a specific dungeon.
  • Dungeon finder was easy to use and using it gave rewards.

The reasons why WoW was enjoyable

• Community was larger and auction house was thriving. Had an actual economy. Felt good.
  • Events that took place when events took palce in reality. E.G christmas events that gave you decent rewards from doing christmas stuff or valentines day etc etc.
  • You could re-do you characters hair style at the barbers.
  • Professions felt great once they were leveled to the max. Felt like you achieved something.
  • Fishing, Archaeology, First aid etc
  • You could attack the enemy cities. Also attack towns and cities alone as long as you avoided elites because guards were only normal mobs. In SWTOR guards are champions for most places.
  • Flying mounts
  • Quick travel with portals.
  • Daily quest zone had dailys close together and it interacted with opposite faction. So it could also be pvp. Zones were small and easy to complete. Not a drag. Illum daily area doesn't have much zones shared with imperial and is quite the drag in illum.
  • Guilds had reputation/amazing rewards for being exalted with guild. Heirlooms to level alts with. Mounts etc.
  • The ammount of gear varied massively and it wasn't allways the vendor gear that was the best. Unlike SWTOR where you can only rely on vendor gear.

The reasons why Rift was enjoyable for me (I played no part in pvp so I have no idea what it is like)

• Frequent world events / updates. Rifts opened and invasions happened where community would group up.
  • Zones were shared with opposite faction at higher level instead of split into two halves.
  • PvE gear was aquired only from bosses. Vendor gear was not necessary the best gear again. Also crafted gear was good and there was crafting daily/weekly.
  • Crafting was updated frequently
  • Training dummys
  • Multiple currencys from rifts. Allowed purchase of gear that could be used at end-game level.
  • Reputation mounts.
  • 10-man instances were completely different to 25-man. 10 man rifts were available and 5 man.
  • two tiers of dungeon at launch.
  • and more!

Awesome post

Oh yes it did. WoW didn't have instance PVP (BG) at launch. But there was PLENTY world PVP going on. Even the carebear servers had world pvp going on. Tarren Mills/Southshore was infamous. Not to mention Taranis, WPL, The Barrens, Ashenvale, STV. Hell I remember installing my first mod, a KOS (kill on sight) list. On PVP servers, it was "red means dead". I still have fun memoires of trying to sneak past the war raging outside of MC. And even after the first expansion - the fights outside of kara were epic.

And when instance pvp (BG) was released it was fun. At first. I suppose you don't remember the weekend long AV fights? Thos were amazingly fun. Everyone was a wreck after that fight. I remember going to sleep at 3am, waking at 9am and the fight was STILL going on. All of this encouraged a strong community. Everyone knew everyone.

But then cross realms BG's, instances, raids, name changes - all that hit and killed the community and world pvp. Running BG now, (in WoW) is like playing COD. And right now, you can be the biggest a** and just change your name. That's why WoW is a joke now.

But let me be clear, this game can not compare to WoW even was it was released in 2004. Despite have tons of cash and time, BW dropped the ball big time. This is a single player game with other people.

Actually, it wasn't until they released PvP rankings, several months after launch, that world PvP really happened. The rankings that they pulled from the game, conveniently enough, after they realized how broken they were.

But yeah, I remember the week long initial battleground when AV opened. Followed by the instanced PvP push. And the endless, meaningless grind that showed time played was greater than skill. And going from knowing pretty much everyone you saw in a PvP match, to only knowing the people who you queue with.

Definately looks like a pretty solid post to me..

Deserves a /duck from the QRF team but the conspiracy would be too large. I see a good layout of pro/con and adding in the comparisions (although done before) is solid again..

Good job..

AAA.....

Unlike this game.. That's out of love of Bioware... or maybe I'm out of love.. Meh.. You decide

"Let' your anger flow through you. Your hate will make your game good.."

Edited by Opapanax

Mainly because many of the positives mentioned weren't in WoW until quite recently. Barbers? Arenas? Dungeon Finder? Guild reputations/levelling? Heirlooms?

WoW was adding gimmicks because it was old and tired. Sure, some of them were good ideas, but they're not needed in a fresh exciting game like SWTOR is now, where there's plenty of other stuff to explore. Surprisingly (to me at least) the only one I'm really missing right now is the hairdresser.

I used to play WoW a lot. I cancelled my account two weeks after SWTOR was installed on my computer. Many of the people I'd played with in a guild pretty much constantly since WoW's release had given up sometime after Cataclysm was released.

Mainly because many of the positives mentioned weren't in WoW until quite recently. Barbers? Arenas? Dungeon Finder? Guild reputations/levelling? Heirlooms?

over several years ago is not "recently". and this is NOW, not "back then". so why compare 2012 with 2009?

Edited by Graburr

snip

Hello. Welcome to what it took WoW at least 3 years to create. Expecting it from a fresh release is silly.

over several years ago is not "recently". and this is NOW, not "back then". so why compare 2012 with 2009?

Because features like that take time. Because it takes time to code and program it. And because your publisher will be down your neck to give the money investment back and then some.

You "here and now" babies really don't understand how this works, do you?

Edited by Nessirin

WoW was adding gimmicks because it was old and tired. Sure, some of them were good ideas, but they're not needed in a fresh exciting game like SWTOR is now, where there's plenty of other stuff to explore. Surprisingly (to me at least) the only one I'm really missing right now is the hairdresser.

I'm sorry I'm not even speaking for WoW here since I don't even play, but things that allow players to customize their avatars has always been part of the mix and major part of it. MMORPG players although they may not like to admit it in most forums are very vain in their gaming. You can call it being elite or whatever the fashion is.

It doesn't neccesarily have to be a barbershop or a dye shop, but those things do make for good filler and furhermore allow for a little space in having to always create new content for looks. I know Bioware ran into some issues with that in Beta and I think now I'm starting to understand why they were and are still having those same issues.

"I mean, armor dyeing! Is it that serious?" - Is what the "Ayes" say...

"EXACTLY!, armor dyeing! Is it that serious?" - Is what the "Nays" say..

What a condrum you've created for yourself Bioware..

Edited by Opapanax

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.