SWTOR was promising. I liked it untill now.

jordanph

First of all this game has only been out for a month and second of all this is bioware's first MMO, sure it doesn't have a LFG system but i can easily find a group on the imperial fleet, and when rift started it didn't have very good features until 6 months in then it became a success.

It does, actually. It just requires people to use it.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand everything you said and have heard it from the people who rush to end game level in every MMO launch in history. The only thing that changes is the MMO they compare the game to.

Basic fact SWTOR's content is 2 releases ahead of wow's initial release and includes both PvP and PvE content(WoW initial PvP content consisted of the people who rushed to 50 camping Tarren Mill). Is it an enjoyable world - yeah, Are the combat mechanics enjoyable - yeah, Is it immersive, yeah.

We obviously all left WoW for a reason. A) pretty much explored the world and want something new to explore being my reason. I won't say WoW was a bad game it's simply one I'm past, like a good book might I revisit it in time, perhaps.

Right now I'm wondering what this new book is going to throw at us and how it's going to evolve. It's got a proper foundation it's now in the dev's content release, balancing and creative hands. Worth sticking around to find out IMHO.

Well said. I left wow because I wanted something different. This game is fun. If you need me to have more reasons than that you're playing games for the wrong reasons.

First of all this game has only been out for a month and second of all this is bioware's first MMO, sure it doesn't have a LFG system but i can easily find a group on the imperial fleet, and when rift started it didn't have very good features until 6 months in then it became a success.
It does, actually. It just requires people to use it.

I've said this so many times. No matter how good or bad a system or tool is it would NEVER work if people don't use it. Just imagine they put in a cross server fully automated LFG system and no one queues for it. You'd say it sucks also.

I realized in quite a bit of cases a lot of people just don't know the thing exists and/or have serious misconceptions about it. Mainly they believe you can ONLY see people on your current zone/planet/station that are flagged and not across the entire server no matter where they are.

I have created a guide (the link in my signature) and I hope it gets sticky so people could know about the current tool and use it until a more hashed out and polished one is put into place. What I don't get is why do people refuse to flag themselves when they are looking for group. Wouldn't it be smart to ask in General Chat AND flag yourself? The people inside a flashpoint can see you flagged and replace that guy that disconnected in the middle of the boss fight and caused a wipe.

Edited by DarthKhaos

dueling areas would be bad for the game, a MMO is balanced around group balance,

Lol no it won't, dueling areas are mostly for fun. If you balance around dueling then your game will be lost just saying.

But to not have this feature is a let down.

I read most of the posts here and see the same complaints. One being about dueling, you can duel anywhere, but there are safe areas for dueling. found one on Tatooine, just gotta look for them if it matters that much, or look it up. i'm sure there's players that have found most, or all of them.

As far as entire content goes... be patient i'm sure more will get added. more zones, pve content, playable races, etc.. Bio Ware went live with a great amount of content as compared to most MMOs, i think.

PS WoW sux lol

I think the OP has some good points when it comes to PVP. However, he clearly ignored the main thing that most people play SWTOR for: the character immersion. A lot of people will dismiss the OP's points because he is obviously not a role play type of gamer, he's the instant gratification grind-monkey that's only interested in PVP. There are lots of those people playing MMO's who would really be happier playing FPS games. But I digress... the OP makes some decent constructive points about PVP.

Personally for me and many others, reaching level 50 or whatever the end of my story is will be the end for me, not when I've grown bored of PVP. I'll probably never play PVP at all. You could remove PVP from the game altogether and most players like me wouldn't care.

You got to level 50 on Jan 1st? You must have played almost nonstop from the first day of early access.

Considering how fast leveling is, how could you buy the game Dec 20 and not be level 50 by now?

I was level 50 in about 40 hours /played

That's only a couple hours a week.

I did enjoy playing but come on, be logical. Doing the same three things over and over simply doesn't maintain it's excitement.

To be honest the above statement can apply to WoW as well. Doing the same dailys over and over, running the same dungeons and raids over and over are what killed WoW for me. You make some very valid points about PvP and I hope that SWTOR doesn't ruin PvP the way WoW did. Seriously, though, the game has barely been out two months. Was WoW Perfect from the get go? Of course not, it's still not perfect. I think we should give the game a chance to grow and not except it to be prefect, right out of the gate.

I'm not sure what standard you people are using when you say that the OP made a "good post" or had "well thought out arguments."

I read every post in this thread. Basically, what was suggested was that SWTOR is crappy since it did not add arena or a dungeon finder feature.

I am glad that they did not add either one. The arena, as stated numerous times before, was a bad implementation. The dungeon finder encouraged ninja griefing as you had no reason to play nice and be respectful with people you would never see again.

The other complaint that somehow was called "rational" was for the people who said they hit 50 really fast and now they have nothing to do. Congratulations, retard. You are in the top 5% of idiots who raced to the top and now are waiting for everyone else in order to the the end game stuff. The draw of this game is that there is a story arc (8, actually, unique story arcs).

I've yet to hear someone say something like, "I have a job and a real life (i.e. girlfriend/wife, kids, real, actual responsibilities and hobbies) and I got to 50 in under month and now I have nothing to do." If you play this game 20 hours a day and then argue, "Hey I ran out of content!" well, grats, dummy. No game developer can keep up with that kind of gameplay. Go get a job. Go get a girlfriend. Find other things to do with your time besides sit in front of your computer ALL DAY LONG.

Yes but WoW released in 2003 or so. Swtor in 2011/2012... Damn you people make me annoyed!

So, do you expect swtor to have 4 expansions worth of content upon release? Or maybe you expected bio ware devs to have access to wows codes so they can learn how they fixed their bugs so that swtor wouldn't have any upon release. Lol, if you thought either one of those things are possible, you need to come back down to reality. Is it possible that bio ware wanted to focus on the story ,giving the game good foundation to build upon and attracting the casual gammers who will take months to get to 50 and not 2 weeks like the op. End game can always be fixed, tweaked, and added to. The 8 different story lines would take much more work to redo.

I am sorry to tell you but SWTOR has already copied everything it has from WoW. Battlegrounds, dungeons etc. Tell me one thing that SWTOR offers that is different from Rift or WoW.

You cannot say the fails like:

Space combat.

Voiced quests.

things you may get confused about.

PvP rankings - Rift has this.

PvP rank gears - Rift has this.

WOW was the first MMO with dungeons and Battlegrounds?????

Go ahead and keep telling yourself WOW was the first MMO.

This game has a huge amount of growth potential. It's Star Wars. And that is why I stay.

WoW has run out of lore (Panda and Pokemon time!) and has dumbed down everything to the point that it's an unrewarding experience to devote time playing. After so many years, there are a lot of nice-to-have things that Blizzard put into that game. There are also a lot of really stupid dumbed down god-awful systems. We can only hope that Bioware has the ability to look at other games and pull in what works, and leave what doesn't.

haha, so true.

A whole expansion designed after an April Fool's Joke.

I thought they were kidding at first, then when they announced they were being super serial, I cancelled my sub.

So, do you expect swtor to have 4 expansions worth of content upon release? Or maybe you expected bio ware devs to have access to wows codes so they can learn how they fixed their bugs so that swtor wouldn't have any upon release. Lol, if you thought either one of those things are possible, you need to come back down to reality. Is it possible that bio ware wanted to focus on the story ,giving the game good foundation to build upon and attracting the casual gammers who will take months to get to 50 and not 2 weeks like the op. End game can always be fixed, tweaked, and added to. The 8 different story lines would take much more work to redo.

So you're saying it's alright for bioware to release a game similar to WoW release?

Be serious, that's like saying it's alright for car companies to release their three wheeler models and then saying "Come back in 2 years and you get an extra wheel" whilst the other car company down the road that started 2 years ago already upgraded their customers with an extra wheel.

Get real.

WOW was the first MMO with dungeons and Battlegrounds?????

Go ahead and keep telling yourself WOW was the first MMO.

Did I say it was the first to have it? I just proving to the people who say "This game is nothing like WoW and I hope it will never be like it" that it's too late. The game is like WoW.

Don't jump to conclusions please.

I think that WoW's forums are up after patch day .... -----> that way.

I'm not an uncritical fanboi, but I don't like all the WoW comparisons. If you like WoW, go play it.

Neither do I, as I've never played WoW. I come from Guild Wars, DDO, and LOTRO, and very short time in EVE.

Did I say it was the first to have it? I just proving to the people who say "This game is nothing like WoW and I hope it will never be like it" that it's too late. The game is like WoW.

Don't jump to conclusions please.

Did you not post this?

I am sorry to tell you but SWTOR has already copied everything it has from WoW. Battlegrounds, dungeons etc.

SWTOR did not copy BG's from WOW. The only BG that is similar is Alderaan, but pretty much every MMO has a resource control type BG.

Dungeons weren't a concept from WOW either.

All MMO's are similar too.

WOW stole most of its ideas from EQ.

Edited by RycheMykola

Hello

I got to level fifty about one month ago from now and I couldn't stop bragging about how amazing this game was. I was on these forums daily trying to fight away the people who hate this game and making suggestions for end game. Quite simply you can call me blinded and obsessed. I couldn't face denial that this game actually is bad.

Here I am now then telling you why I dislike the game and seeing if I can relate to those who back up this game that had promise but has lost it.

1) PvP:

PvP was promising. Huttball was new and enjoyable (imo) and the other two warzones were attractive and easy to get used to. However after playing these same three warzones over and over with no differentiation is a drag. Especially having to get to valor 60 for the best gear simply either farming rare empire kills in illum (I say rare because each one I attack has 5 people on back-up behind them) or farming those three warzones alot!!

"Why can you not play this game just because you enjoy playing?" I did enjoy playing but come on, be logical. Doing the same three things over and over simply doesn't maintain it's excitement.

2) PvE: Just flashpoint after flashpoint and the only reason to do it is for the gear piece at the end to be traded for columi. No decent gear any other way. Flashpoint drops were terrible. Took forever to find a full group even tho its only 4 man. No reputation gains to buy gear from reputation vendors etc. Just a boring one way street.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvP

• Dueling in durotar/elwynn added competitiveness against own faction. Cannot happen here because there is no dueling area within 10 seconds from the main part of the fleet without going through a loading screen.
  • Arena. Yes arena added excitement to PvP and added competition. I enjoy competition and therefore is why SWTOR has lost its edge for me. No matter how much you hate arena it is still better than anything SWTOR has to offer at this moment. It consists of rewards if you are good and is not dependant on others. It feels personal to you making a team. Just endless hours could be spent trying to increase rating and the feeling of winning was great.
  • Ratings for arena and battleground groups. Added competition and elitism. Made the community thrive in a bad or good way. Depends how you think about it.
  • Battleground were alot larger than SWTORs and added an MMO feel to it. Mounting included.

The reasons behind why WoW was enjoyable with PvE

• It didn't just involve token rewards from dungeons. The actual gear from dungeons was useful. Made people have a sense of excitement when killing a boss waiting for loot to drop. Wasn't free access to token gear at the end of each dungeon.
  • The token grind for gear that was worth XXXX amount of tokens wasn't long. It was only 2 weeks of lock time or so. Compared to SWTOR this is short.
  • One of my favorite features of WoW when it was in WoW was the daily heroic where you had to kill a specific boss in a specific dungeon.
  • Dungeon finder was easy to use and using it gave rewards.

The reasons why WoW was enjoyable

• Community was larger and auction house was thriving. Had an actual economy. Felt good.
  • Events that took place when events took palce in reality. E.G christmas events that gave you decent rewards from doing christmas stuff or valentines day etc etc.
  • You could re-do you characters hair style at the barbers.
  • Professions felt great once they were leveled to the max. Felt like you achieved something.
  • Fishing, Archaeology, First aid etc
  • You could attack the enemy cities. Also attack towns and cities alone as long as you avoided elites because guards were only normal mobs. In SWTOR guards are champions for most places.
  • Flying mounts
  • Quick travel with portals.
  • Daily quest zone had dailys close together and it interacted with opposite faction. So it could also be pvp. Zones were small and easy to complete. Not a drag. Illum daily area doesn't have much zones shared with imperial and is quite the drag in illum.
  • Guilds had reputation/amazing rewards for being exalted with guild. Heirlooms to level alts with. Mounts etc.
  • The ammount of gear varied massively and it wasn't allways the vendor gear that was the best. Unlike SWTOR where you can only rely on vendor gear.

The reasons why Rift was enjoyable for me (I played no part in pvp so I have no idea what it is like)

• Frequent world events / updates. Rifts opened and invasions happened where community would group up.
  • Zones were shared with opposite faction at higher level instead of split into two halves.
  • PvE gear was aquired only from bosses. Vendor gear was not necessary the best gear again. Also crafted gear was good and there was crafting daily/weekly.
  • Crafting was updated frequently
  • Training dummys
  • Multiple currencys from rifts. Allowed purchase of gear that could be used at end-game level.
  • Reputation mounts.
  • 10-man instances were completely different to 25-man. 10 man rifts were available and 5 man.
  • two tiers of dungeon at launch.
  • and more!

I'm confused. Back when other people were complaining about this and you were disagreeing in the forums as the great defender, what was your defense to these issues? Because they aren't new issues. So seems to me like it's VERY unlikely that you were once on the other side at all.

There would have been no reason to SWITCH sides if you had already experienced level 50 and disagreed with teh complaints.

So what's the real story here? You're just dressing up the same complaints and trying to mask it under some kind of BS about how this is some new revelation to you.

Nice try. Same story, different spin, no change. No reason for this thread. Rehashed with an opening line made up to create some kind of relevance.

Did you not post this?

SWTOR did not copy BG's from WOW. The only BG that is similar is Alderaan, but pretty much every MMO has a resource control type BG.

Dungeons weren't a concept from WOW either.

All MMO's are similar too.

WOW stole most of its ideas from EQ.

Yes I did post that but what I am saying is, does anything in that post say anything about WoW being the first to have it? Please read careful before throwing assumptions at me.

You got to level 50 on Jan 1st? You must have played almost nonstop from the first day of early access.

heh i was 50 befor pre launch was over. Its not hard to level fast if you know what your doing, and no you do not have to "play nonstop" to do so.