Why is Character Creation So Bad?

rmsanford

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo, my human is blue, which color you have?

Even if the character models is very similar you have to admit it was a good tool to create a unique looking face for your character. It was very refreshing compared to WoW. Only sad part was that you can only make different types of human, making you never feel like another race.

Even if the character models is very similar you have to admit it was a good tool to create a unique looking face for your character. It was very refreshing compared to WoW. Only sad part was that you can only make different types of human, making you never feel like another race.

You just said it was very refreshing and then sad because it lacks options. I think you secretly hate it but don't want to come off as a hater. It's OK, give in to the dark side.

Well scars, hairstyles are same for every race and to be honest, i dont really see other peoples faces at all, but i would like to know what race they are on the first look. They had so many unique races in star wars lore and they put only different colored humans in as playable races.

Lol no. WoW offered different races with different body types. In TOR its all the same.

Many of you complain about there being only humanoid races but then again most of the races in star wars were humanoid. Not all of them are completely (talking about all races, not just the game) the same obviously but they do have minor changes such as a height difference or in the hands and feet. They should have added more yes and they did take stuff out that should be back in the game but for the majority I'm really pleased with the customization. I used to play WoW a lot and when I compare it to this Id still rather have this honestly.

But really Instead of constantly whining why not think of something you would want?. Aka: Something that should be changed/added/replaced, choices of customization's for the race, addition of other races

Personally I want more armor styles

If I was going to add a race(s) it would be: Jawas, Ithorians, Togruta's, and Wookie's

i really get a good chuckle when i see this.

character creation is better than

WOW

LOTRO

AOC

WARHAMMER

and those are just the few i've played.

but if you were expecting character creation like in Star trek online or EVE online or APB. you're crazy.

EDIT: RIFTS character creator was pretty good to.

Ah hell no! LOTRO and AOC are rated below SWTOR's character creation? What are you somking?

Edited by Volksworgen

Hey TOR is a great game. But I also dislike the character creators limitations. It seriously needs to be better. Better to me being at least double the options on each slider, seperating the complexion from the eyebrows and eyes, put in a nose selection, things of that nature.

Charcater creation is probably my biggest complaint I have about the game. But hey, that's me. If people like it as is, that's fine too, but I really want BioWare to add to it.

WOW

LOTRO

AOC

WARHAMMER

but if you were expecting character creation like in Star trek online or EVE online or APB. you're crazy.

bahahaha

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

oh my

BHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAH

WOW

LOTRO

AOC

WARHAMMER

Why is it crazy to have an APB style character creator in a modern MMO?

I personally don't see the problem with character creation... Sure it's not the best.. but it isn't bad by any means. There are far far worse character creators out there.

I don't understand how it is "so bad". What's "so bad" about it compared to other MMO's?

Unless your going to compare it to a game like EVE or APB then I don't think you really have a case here.

I personally don't see the problem with character creation... Sure it's not the best.. but it isn't bad by any means. There are far far worse character creators out there.

I don't understand how it is "so bad". What's "so bad" about it compared to other MMO's?

Unless your going to compare it to a game like EVE or APB then I don't think you really have a case here.

Option wise for each race it's not as bad as most other MMO's, but there's only humanoid races which drags it down a bit, the only difference between the races is the faces/heads and skin colour

Edited by mutee

So, it's fine so long as we don't compare it to everything that's better? Um...kay.

Option wise for each race it's not as bad as most other MMO's, but there's only humanoid races which drags it down a bit, the only difference between the races is the faces/heads and skin colour

I would say the vast amount of customisation available to your characters facial features and head + the 4 body types on top of that more than make up for the lack of a bipedal cow.

As I said... if you read my post, it's certainly not the best creator, but I fail to see how it is so bad as to be worthy of such scorn.

I did read your post. It was silly. You ask what was bad about it compared to other MMOs, then preclude the use of MMOs that feature better examples.

The existence of worse character creation tools does not absolve this one of its shallow depth. But, if it did, by that reasoning, the existence of far superior creation tools, in F2P games no less, should condemn it.

It does its job, sure. But this is 2012, and this game's tool is a step backwards from what's come before it. That's plenty of reason for scorn.

Edited by XLauncher

I'm sure this thread has been around, but I couldn't find anything in a search.

Anyway, I think BioWare was pretty cheap when it came to the selected species for each side. They took the cookie-cutter route in the blandness of character creation. Every race is just one slight variation of a human. Most "options" are reused for almost every species. For example, the four male "body type" options are all the same:

1) scrawny, short "kid"

2) average height, build

3) tall, bodybuilder

4) or REALLY fat!

Can't have a husky guy? No, your choice is teenager, adult athlete, bodybuilder or couch potato.

The scars are all the same, as are the hair styles. Seriously, how stupid does a Zabrak or Sith look with a Justin Beiber hairstyle or that dumb-looking mohawk? Serious, cornrows? Are Sith Warriors gonna get a quest to go into a recording studio to perform "Juggernaut's Paradise" or "Straight Outta Korriban"? Give me a break!

I think there should be more variations that are species-specific. I like that the facial tattoos for the Mirialan, Rattataki, and the Zabraks are different. But the general build of the characters are all the same.

Here's an idea: try making original species that are unlike any of the others. Some species in the Star Wars galaxies would be awesome additions in a game like this. But, it seems too difficult to make anything actually "special". It's a shame when all the characters practically look the same.

I lold at the Justin Bieber haircut reference.

The scars are all the same, as are the hair styles. Seriously, how stupid does a Zabrak or Sith look with a Justin Beiber hairstyle or that dumb-looking mohawk? Serious, cornrows? Are Sith Warriors gonna get a quest to go into a recording studio to perform "Juggernaut's Paradise" or "Straight Outta Korriban"? Give me a break!

I call foul! As far as I know, Coolio's hair-style isn't in the game. ;)

Edited by HanzoV

I did read your post. It was silly.

It does its job, sure. But this is 2012, and this game's tool is a step backwards from what's come before it. That's plenty of reason for scorn.

A step back from 2 games i have played that came out in 2003 & 2005. Almost a decade later and we have a worse character creation tool? No excuses for that.

At all

I did read your post. It was silly. You ask what was bad about it compared to other MMOs, then preclude the use of MMOs that feature better examples.

The existence of worse character creation tools does not absolve this one of its shallow depth. But, if it did, by that reasoning, the existence of far superior creation tools, in F2P games no less, should condemn it.

What is silly is all this absurd criticism about a character creator that is perfectly fine when Bioware have far far more critical flaws with their game that they should be worrying about. If you want to adjust the measurement of your cheek bones then play a game like EVE. For mainstream MMO's, the CC is fine and is much better than most MMO's out there.

My main issue with character creation:

1 Skinny male

2 Normal male

3 Muscular male

4 fat male

1 OMG IMA DIE FROM ANOREXIA skinny

2 OMG IMA DIE A LITTLE LATER skinny

3 Muscular

4 normal

Make the females at least look normal instead of 2 anorexic choices, 1 odd choice for anything except Tank and a normal looking.

Glad someone else recognizes that the female body type 4 is normal xD. And I wouldn't say female body type 1 is anorexic. I'd say it's more pre-adolescent scrawny little girl.

Makes me quirk a brow in amusement to hear some teen age boy who's likely never been close to a woman other than his mother call the curvy type 4 obese LMAO

And I have seen that several times in this forum.