Can someone explain why healers get screwed

TheEvilEeyore

I'm not really saying this to be a smart ***, but if you're a pure healer then there isn't much room for doing anything else.

At least healers are getting the MVP votes they deserve. I never vote highest DPS for MVP b/c I only win if we have healers.

I've also noticed most people are voting healers as MVP.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply enough, medals are awarded from achieving specific milestones in one of 5 fields.

To put it, he achieved more of those milestones than you did.

Stop whining.

um learn to read.. i have more objective points than him.. derp derp you so called "milestones" yeah i won in that department to.

Most stat paths have 3-4 medals associated with them. Damage gets a medal at 75k, and 300k. And another one if you get 2.5k damage with a single hit. That's only 3 medals for damage.

If you take part in a kill, any part at all, at 10 kills you get a medal, and 25 you get a medal.

If you land a killing blow on somebody, or win in a 1v1 fight you get a medal. That's 2 for fighting.

I know protection has 3 or 4 medals associated with it, but I'm not sure what they are. The best ways to max out your medals are to vary what you're doing to contribute in a WZ. You might not be pushing 300k damage, but it's not hard to get 75k, and anybody can land a killing blow. Really the only medal that is unavailable to you is probably going to be the 300k one, and if you're intent on focusing healing, the 25 kills medal, as well as the protections ones.

Now, I would say the healing medals are broken too. Because you have most medals available to you, while as a gunslinger I don't have a single healing spell. The healing medals are literally cut off from me, as are the protection ones. So I have no way of getting them, I pretty much max out my medals at 5-6. While you have many more available to you if you branch off and do a bare minimum of damage.

And, I have a Sorc alt who is spec'ed purely for healing, I don't want to hear that you can't get 75k damage, or land a killing blow, or beat somebody in a 1v1 fight, or contribute to 10 kills while healing, because I can tell you it's very easily done.

At what level?!?!?

On my server I'm a prime target.. I can't dps because I'm to busy kiting their team around that's trying to maul my face off because I heal..

I barely get any medals now because I have to heal myself almost as much as my teammates.

First rule of pvp.. Kill the healer..

Most stat paths have 3-4 medals associated with them. Damage gets a medal at 75k, and 300k. And another one if you get 2.5k damage with a single hit. That's only 3 medals for damage.

If you take part in a kill, any part at all, at 10 kills you get a medal, and 25 you get a medal.

If you land a killing blow on somebody, or win in a 1v1 fight you get a medal. That's 2 for fighting.

I know protection has 3 or 4 medals associated with it, but I'm not sure what they are. The best ways to max out your medals are to vary what you're doing to contribute in a WZ. You might not be pushing 300k damage, but it's not hard to get 75k, and anybody can land a killing blow. Really the only medal that is unavailable to you is probably going to be the 300k one, and if you're intent on focusing healing, the 25 kills medal, as well as the protections ones.

Now, I would say the healing medals are broken too. Because you have most medals available to you, while as a gunslinger I don't have a single healing spell. The healing medals are literally cut off from me, as are the protection ones. So I have no way of getting them, I pretty much max out my medals at 5-6. While you have many more available to you if you branch off and do a bare minimum of damage.

And, I have a Sorc alt who is spec'ed purely for healing, I don't want to hear that you can't get 75k damage, or land a killing blow, or beat somebody in a 1v1 fight, or contribute to 10 kills while healing, because I can tell you it's very easily done.

So by biowares logic the best way for a healer to farm gear and point is for him to only heal myself and kill ****.. yeah thats a great way to go about it.

um learn to read.. i have more objective points than him.. derp derp you so called "milestones" yeah i won in that department to.

And that doesn't mean anything, as objectives is only one of the fields. You still have to reach a set milestone to be awarded anything (1000). Neither of you did.

Damage, Kills, Protection, Healing, Defense.

You performed one role well.

He performed two just as well.

Edited by RazielHex

At what level?!?!?

On my server I'm a prime target.. I can't dps because I'm to busy kiting their team around that's trying to maul my face off because I heal..

I barely get any medals now because I have to heal myself almost as much as my teammates.

First rule of pvp.. Kill the healer..

I am in your same boat. i hide behind stuff and try to stay out of sight. It's funny that people are saying i am whinning about this.. cause it's an obvious issue. no matter how you look at the number's we are doing more than other players in these 2 particular games and getting rewarded less for it.

Edited by TheEvilEeyore

And that doesn't mean anything, as objectives is only one of the fields. You still have to reach a set milestone to be awarded anything (1000). Neither of you did.

Damage, Kills, Protection, Healing, Defense.

Ok so lets rework the milestones?

its 550k stats to 230k ... and his is spread across 2 stats just like mine.

Ok so lets rework the milestones?

its 550k stats to 230k ... and his is spread across 2 stats just like mine.

Total doesn't matter.

It's set for milestones in each single field.

Do try to wrap your head around this concept.

You are awarded for doing well within one single field, not all fields. They're all commended separately.

He still performed well enough in damage to be awarded several medals. He performed well enough in protection to be awarded several medals.

You performed well enough in healing to be awarded several medals. Your damage was mediocre.

Neither of you performed well enough in defense to be awarded much of anything.

It's very possible he scores a 2.5 Crit and got a solo-kill. That's an additional 2 right there. Also, protecting so much without dying (10,000 damage absorbed) is another medal.

Edited by RazielHex

We play as a group (me - sentinel, my friend - healer, my wife kinetic shadow) and from the very beginning it was pretty clear that healers are the least favoured classes when it comes to medals, while tanking classes (with guard) make the most. Out of the three of us Shadow usually is on the first / second place, I usually follow and, depending on the game, healer can be anywhere from 3rd to 5-6th.

One more thing that strikes me as very unfair - there are NO medasl for objective completion. On many occasions shadow planted bombs in voidstar, delivered the ball etc. Yet no matter what your objective score - it does not reflect on your medal rating. In hutball we realised that quickly winning (or sometimes even working on grab-pass-protect-score) usually results in poor valor/commendation scores. It is much more profitable to score 1-2 points and then just fight as much as you can.

IMO there should be some sort of extra bonuses to the teammembers that grab the objectives, assist in that (were in the vicinity when it was capped), pass the ball (fortunately after one month ppl learned that you can and should do it and not try rush in alone :D).

P.S. Oh and we always give our healer the votes in the end but it turned out that 1 vote = 1 commendation only >_<

P.P.S. Oh and on the final note - in the end, all this commendation reward is nothing because it is sooooo easy to get 1000/1000 commendations and then .. you are kinda stuck.

Here are the Medals I know of:

Solo Kill

Killing Blow

2.5k hit

5k hit

75k damage

300k damage

2.5k heal

5k heal

75k healing

300k healing

2k protection in 1 life

5k protection

10k protection in 1 life

50k protection

1k defender points (defending objectives such as turrets in alderaan)

3k defender points

10 kills

25 kills

You guys are doing verbal judo to still argue the point you want.

Nobody said anything about you only healing yourself and killing ****. Is it really that hard to throw your 2 dots on people in fights? You act like that's going to change the dynamics of your gameplay oh so much.

When you throw your dot on somebody, you have contributed to their kill, grats, you just got 1 kill. Do that to 10 people throughout the match and you've gotten a medal.

If one of those dots happens to finish somebody off, or if you see somebody close to death, blast them. You don't have to spend the whole match fighting people, you just take advantage of an enemy at low health, and contribute to the team by removing him, grats, that's another medal.

If your dots, and opportunistic damage reach 75k damage over the course of a WZ, grats, you just got another medal.

If you're moving between targets and run across an enemy, engage him, and if you kill him, you just got another medal.

Random guy, you only got credit for 7 kills, because you only contributed to 7 kills. Standing in the back and spamming heals is awesome, but it doesn't make the other team go away.

I saw a match screenshot where a Sorc spec'ed for healing did 600k healing, and 200k damage. Guy got like 11 medals, he was good, you're bad.

Damage has 2.5k hit, 5k hit, 75k damage, and 300k damage for straight damage. There are also medals for one killing blow (Quick Draw), kills (10 and 25), and one solo kill (Assassin). That's seven medals, many of which are not attainable by focused healers.

Same deal with tanks. There are medals for protecting 5k damage overall, protecting enough damage without dying (2k and 10k), and, because tanks can't do anything besides protect and attack, it's fairly easy for them to earn the kill medals and some damage medals.

The problem for dedicated healers is that the healing medals, except for lucky crits for the 2.5k and 5k medals, basically require you to focus on healing the entire match. If you're healing, you're not attacking, which, combined with your spec sucking at damage, makes it pretty tough or impossible to earn most of the damage and killing medals and the healer medals. This right here is the hangup. Other roles have no trouble getting their role medals and the killing medals (plus some damage medals).

One more thing that strikes me as very unfair - there are NO medasl for objective completion. On many occasions shadow planted bombs in voidstar, delivered the ball etc. Yet no matter what your objective score - it does not reflect on your medal rating. In hutball we realised that quickly winning (or sometimes even working on grab-pass-protect-score) usually results in poor valor/commendation scores. It is much more profitable to score 1-2 points and then just fight as much as you can.

Objectives / Defense are most awarded by:

Setting the bomb / Defusing the Bomb.

Killing the Huttball Carrier.

Staying at your turret.

Total doesn't matter.

It's set for milestones in each single field.

Do try to wrap your head around this concept.

You are awarded for doing well within one single field, not all fields. They're all commended separately.

He still performed well enough in damage to be awarded several medals. He performed well enough in protection to be awarded several medals.

You performed well enough in healing to be awarded several medals. Your damage was mediocre.

Neither of you performed well enough in defense to be awarded much of anything.

so at what point do i jsut say.. well i got all the healing medals i can get **** this.. I understand the concept you are making. my point is.. why would i cease to get rewarded for healing my *** off? it makes no sense to me.

I believe that dedicated healing needs bigger, more rewarding milestones. As a dedicated healer, you can't really afford to do damage in thick fighting.

I recall Devs saying that they didn't want players to singlemindedly focus on something, but healers don't have much choice in this regard. They either keep healing, or the team keeps dying. Sure, I can lob a grenade or two on my Smuggler to stop an objective cap - but I can't really waste energy shooting\hitting stuff - not when my team is taking damage, and when there are a dozen rabid damage-dealers running around on both sides.

My suggestion is - further extend healing milestones, increase medal yield for healing.

I am in your same boat. i hide behind stuff and try to stay out of sight. It's funny that people are saying i am whinning about this.. cause it's an obvious issue. no matter how you look at the number's we are doing more than other players in these 2 particular games and getting rewarded less for it.

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm pretty sure you sat there and clicked your skill buttons the whole match, what do you think he did? Sat on his thumb and turned? No, he clicked on his skill buttons the whole match. Implying that you did more because the numbers on healing abilities are higher than those on damage or protection abilities is stupid logic.

so at what point do i jsut say.. well i got all the healing medals i can get **** this.. I understand the concept you are making. my point is.. why would i cease to get rewarded for healing my *** off? it makes no sense to me.

It's quite elementary.

If you want more medals, expand to more roles.

Be more than a healbot. That's what your ship droid is for.

As a Mercenary, I pull damage and healing in warzones. Just one lucky crit of each is +2 medals just by that alone.

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm pretty sure you sat there and clicked your skill buttons the whole match, what do you think he did? Sat on his thumb and turned? No, he clicked on his skill buttons the whole match. Implying that you did more because the numbers on healing abilities are higher than those on damage or protection abilities is stupid logic.

...this doesn't even deserve the response i am giving it.

Honestly, now that I have all my champion gear and don't really care about winning WZs, I'm very tempted to switch to DPS simply because as a healer, I can't get any medals by focusing on healing (can't hit 5k heal as a Sawbones except very rarely with consumables, meaning I usually only get 3 medals if I spend all game healing and doing nothing else at all), and I certainly don't play to win. I don't try to cap objectives, I don't try to defend objectives, I don't try to plant bombs, I don't try to score points in Huttball. All I try to do is kill people because that is by far the best way for me to farm valor. As DPS, I get between 8 and 12 medals per match. As heals, I'm lucky if I get 7 (on Civil War, with the Defender medals).

Switched to dps, pulled in 3 more medals than I average. Really didn't enjoy it though and switched back.

I believe that dedicated healing needs bigger, more rewarding milestones. As a dedicated healer, you can't really afford to do damage in thick fighting.

I recall Devs saying that they didn't want players to singlemindedly focus on something, but healers don't have much choice in this regard. They either keep healing, or the team keeps dying. Sure, I can lob a grenade or two on my Smuggler to stop an objective cap - but I can't really waste energy shooting\hitting stuff - not when my team is taking damage, and when there are a dozen rabid damage-dealers running around on both sides.

My suggestion is - further extend healing milestones, increase medal yield for healing.

THIS

I DONT put my dots on people in the middle of the fight because like some of you seem to be implying its not easy when everyone in the group is getting facerolled. there isnt time to do damage or my team dies plain and simple. sure when its 2v2 or 3v3 i put some damage out. but when its 8v8 theres no time to stop and think oh i need to dot that guy before he dies.

The reason for that is so that DPS classes don't get roflstomped. And I think that bioware wants people to do a bit of everything instead of just being healbots.

Everyone can do damage

Not everyone can heal

Healers should get more medals for practically just healing?

Or should they get equal medals? Which then means they get more because they'll get the damage medals as well.

It's quite elementary.

If you want more medals, expand to more roles.

Be more than a healbot. That's what your ship droid is for.

As a Mercenary, I pull damage and healing in warzones. Just one lucky crit of each is +2 medals just by that alone.

expand my role.. *** does this even mean. i am a healer for a reason. i am keeping people alive. this idea that bioware has that healers are a "hybrid" and they are supposed to be dpsing people and such is just silly.

+2 points for the use of Elementary.

Edited by TheEvilEeyore

...this doesn't even deserve the response i am giving it.

Not deserving a response, and you not being able to formulate a good argument against it aren't the same thing. Everyone uses their abilities consistently throughout a match to try to get something done.

Her belief that you're, "Doing more" than the rest of the team because HPS hits 600k and DPS only hits like 400k is not even a valid train of thought.