Companion: M1-Fx

Thaltom

During my career as a Commando I've used Aric and Elara primary. Four x's gear has gone pathetically by the wayside (I seriously think he is still wearing one piece of gear from when I recruited him). Assuming I get him appropriate level gear: does he make a good tank for solo PvE?

During my career as a Commando I've used Aric and Elara primary. Four x's gear has gone pathetically by the wayside (I seriously think he is still wearing one piece of gear from when I recruited him). Assuming I get him appropriate level gear: does he make a good tank for solo PvE?

Yes. I use 4X almost exclusively (apart from when I was required to use other characters for story reasons). I can solo pretty much any champion with him, and I've been able to solo a couple of Heroic 4s with him.

I am a healer, though, and I've found that makes a ton of difference. NPC healers are OK, but they can't come close to a player healer's output. The same is true of tanks and their survivability, but it's easier to heal up extra damage than it is to take less damage so the companion's healing can catch up.

I'm not sure how it would work as a DPS commando, though, so you might see if someone has that experience, or even just try it out on your own.

Edited by JacenHallis

As a Combat medic I use 4X. Can solo the level 50 +2s with him. All geared in 50/51 purples he has just under 18k hp. Although once I hit battlemasters I can see me using extra bits to gear out Tanno Vik and getting a 20k hp companion tank.

For DPS Commandos he's the worst. Really any tanking companion is the worst. Elara for soloing 4-man champions and heroics or Aric/Yuun for killing mobs superfast.

I would love to see you solo 4-man level 50 champions with Elara. My guess is any 4 man you are soloing you are way outleveling. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Yes i am combat medic and i use 4X all the time.

I suggest get someone with cybertech to craft him some good 50 armor pieces.

With him tank and i heal, we can solo heroic2+ daily50 doable.

But i agree if u're dps commando, then better off with healer comp.

As it stands now, tank Companions are only usable by healing specs. This is how it is for all classes.

As a DPS/Tank speced class, as soon as you get your healer companion, you never look back.

Edited by GrimMage

I've been using Vik almost exclusively since I got him as Gunnery (with a breif stint into AS), currently 48, finishing Voss. He's been fantastic. I kill faster than with Elara, since he not only does decent damage, he allows me to use FA properly. Since I can dps properly instead of everything beating on me, I can manage my ammo much better. I can heal him to full in a manner of seconds, so downtime is minimal, since I don't need to heal myself often.

I didn't use 4X since I thought that Elara's healing would be too useful to pass up. I still use Elara for Champion level mobs, but for everything else, Vik's been kicking some serious tail.

As it stands now, tank Companions are only usable by healing specs. This is how it is for all classes.

As a DPS/Tank speced class, as soon as you get your healer companion, you never look back.

I don't think this is true, I only ever used Zenith and Nadia on my Kinetic Shadow. I'm a Gunnery spec Commando at the moment and i've very rarely needed to look after 4X.

Mainly use 4X, not because of his ability but his personalty and it's pretty simple enough to get a full set of moddable orange armour.

"Together we'll steer this Durosteel eagle into the heart of the Empire"

I wouldn't give a commando 4X for anything else!

You can buy some orange parts for him from "heavy armor" vendors. I know you can get sensor and cores from Coruscant. I cant remember where the rest is from. I am a medic spe so he is my best companion.

Though I only have extensive experience with 4X as a healer (I've only ever used him and Aric), I think he could be used by DPS commandos as well in certain situations that you would think to use Elara. Elara would be healing your damage, but 4X would be soaking it up. Just a different approach. Maybe you'd end the fight with less health, but I think you'd end the fight faster thereby adjusting for the post-fight recovery time.

Lots of people still haven't fully realized the numerable different playstyles you can employ even with the same companion across different specs/skill builds.