Resolve doesn't do anything to reduce the insane amounts of CC.

Skeptical

We've all read the Resolve guide and insofar as that strategy is concerned it works to a degree but only for classes with high survivability.

Our get out of CC free card is on a 2 minute to 1 minute 30 sec cooldown with talents. On smaller Warzone maps where spawns are rapid Resolve's lackluster mechanic really shows it's ugly head.

Who hasn't been in a match where you eat a Stun, build up Resolve, get stunned again, fill up Resolve, pop your CC breaker, enjoy your crappy few seconds of CC immunity, blow all of your cooldowns trying to stay alive and overcome your HP deficit only to get focused and killed.

You respawn and have no option to negate the excessive amounts of CC. None what so ever.

You might live long enough to get a full bar of Resolve but you won't be able to captialize on it because you have no escape from the CC that fills up your bar. So you get killed even faster.

You respawn and enjoy the same scenario. And finally after the 3rd time of this you finally have your CC breaker to catch a slight breath.

It doesn't work. It needs to be adjusted and I don't have any feedback to give insofar as what can be done.

The only thing I can think of would be to increase the rate of Resolve gain across the board for all CC and to also make Snares and ---->ROOTS<----- add a significant amount to your Resolve bar.

By having a stickied guide for the current state of Resolve is like a sign that says the developers have no intention of adjusting or tweaking Resolve and I really hope that that is not the case.

I like PvP and I will continue to play it, but I am of the opnion that Resolve just does not cut it in it's current state. Please tell me that I'm not alone in this.

Edited by Skeptical

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldn't mind it if there was actually any predictability to it, in that evidently not all full resolve bars are created equal. There are times im completely full, and get hit by a cc and enjoy its full duration, only to get out of it, try and hit the ball carrier with slow and have it not affect him at all (and he's also full).

Resolve works best when you have a healer around or have some other survivability options so you can actually live. If you're just a lone DPS bouncing around by yourself, then yes you'll die while stunned a lot.

It's not as though this is the fault of the Resolve system, either. Any system will have the same end result. Diminishing Returns, Short immunities based on CC type, etc...will all still result in you being dead in a stun or two if you're alone and have a couple people wailing on you.

The biggest problem with CC in this game is there are way too many roots and snares. Your clear roots/snares special is on a long cooldown and someone can immediately root you again once you use it.

There need to be immunity timers on crowd control, and I also think that your clear root special should itself grant some immunity after you use it.

Face it, roots and snares are no fun. Being forced to stand there and do nothing but die is not fun. I can understand the need for these but they are WAY out of control, there are far too many and they can be spammed AT you by the other side to the point that you have no chance of breaking it.

We've all read the Resolve guide and insofar as that strategy is concerned it works to a degree but only for classes with high survivability.

Our get out of CC free card is on a 2 minute to 1 minute 30 sec cooldown with talents. On smaller Warzone maps where spawns are rapid Resolve's lackluster mechanic really shows it's ugly head.

Who hasn't been in a match where you eat a Stun, build up Resolve, get stunned again, fill up Resolve, pop your CC breaker, enjoy your crappy few seconds of CC immunity, blow all of your cooldowns trying to stay alive and overcome your HP deficit only to get focused and killed.

You respawn and have no option to negate the excessive amounts of CC. None what so ever.

You might live long enough to get a full bar of Resolve but you won't be able to captialize on it because you have no escape from the CC that fills up your bar. So you get killed even faster.

You respawn and enjoy the same scenario. And finally after the 3rd time of this you finally have your CC breaker to catch a slight breath.

It doesn't work. It needs to be adjusted and I don't have any feedback to give insofar as what can be done.

The only thing I can think of would be to increase the rate of Resolve gain across the board for all CC and to also make Snares and ---->ROOTS<----- add a significant amount to your Resolve bar.

By having a stickied guide for the current state of Resolve is like a sign that says the developers have no intention of adjusting or tweaking Resolve and I really hope that that is not the case.

I like PvP and I will continue to play it, but I am of the opnion that Resolve just does not cut it in it's current state. Please tell me that I'm not alone in this.

So basically you are complaining you are dying too fast to enjoy your CC immunity...

So, if you are dying fast because you are focused by ennemy team, this is normal behavoir, you are not supposed to survive full ennemy fire for eternity.

If you are dying to a single player soon after your resolve bar gives you CC immunity then you have a gear or l2p problem.

All in all, your problem has nothing to do with the resolve bar.

Resolve works best when you have a healer around or have some other survivability options so you can actually live. If you're just a lone DPS bouncing around by yourself, then yes you'll die while stunned a lot.

It's not as though this is the fault of the Resolve system, either. Any system will have the same end result. Diminishing Returns, Short immunities based on CC type, etc...will all still result in you being dead in a stun or two if you're alone and have a couple people wailing on you.

But that's kind of my point. No system should be dependent on outside stimuli to perform correctly.

Resolve should be balanced so that it cuts down on excessive CC regardless of your group composition or chosen class.

Melee characters are at a disadvantage and a tweak to Resolve could easily balance the scales.

It's just not good enough that Resolve can cut down on excessive CC every 2 minutes if you have a healer or someone Guarding you.

Is that working as intended? It doesn't seem so to me. It bothers me that I'm seing more people crying and posting about the lame Smuggler/Operative nerf to ONE FREAKING SKILL(Seriously, you guys are crybabies. The damage adjustment on one skill and the shortening of a knockdown CC is not going to make the classes useless ya drama queens.) than I'm seeing any open discourse on the ins and outs of Resolve.

To me Resolve is at the core of a lot of issues that people seem to be having. Resolve needs to be adjusted. It should be a full functional self reliant mechanic that doesn't need symbiosis with any other factors to do it's job effectively.

So basically you are complaining you are dying too fast to enjoy your CC immunity...

So, if you are dying fast because you are focused by ennemy team, this is normal behavoir, you are not supposed to survive full ennemy fire for eternity.

If you are dying to a single player soon after your resolve bar gives you CC immunity then you have a gear or l2p problem.

All in all, your problem has nothing to do with the resolve bar.

As much as I can't stand the way people on MMORPG forums look for what they want to see in a post so they can retort sanctimoniously and skip off to troll some other poor poster while thinking they are so awesome and superior... I'll bite.

An increase in diminishing returns to CC, which is what Resolve is for, gives you a fighting chance in a situation where you are being CC'ed and focused.

Personal skill, which is what your hinting at, has no bearing whatsoever on a situation like that and is therefore irrelevant to the mechanics of Resolve.

In short, learn to stop using your go to forum attacks on people's "skill" and start participating in the discussion at hand. It's obtuse to try to steer every discussion into the mire of "you're bad. learn2play". Seriously, grow up.

Playing a Guardian I'm a bit torn about this subject. On one hand one of my biggest annoyances in this game is being knocked back thus filling my resolve to full in some instances and then realizing that I'm also rooted in place...now that shiny full resolve bar is completely useless because it does not affect root/snare CC's. So while I stand there being useless my resolve bar is slowly going down to the point where as I'm out of that root, I can be stunned again.

On the other hand if snares were to also affect resolve meters my chilling force ability will become useless as it's AOE snare will just give the enemy team full resolve very fast and allow them to move around freely not worrying about CC at all and marginalizing my role in group pvp even more. The chilling force is an essential skill for guard/juggs as it's the main tool for keeping in range once you've gained position. Making snares affect resolve will completely render it useless in PVP and it already has little to no use in PVE.

Edited by Caustic

But that's kind of my point. No system should be dependent on outside stimuli to perform correctly.

Resolve should be balanced so that it cuts down on excessive CC regardless of your group composition or chosen class.

Sorry, but no system is going to let you stand up against multiple people hitting you and CCing you. What you're describing is not the fault of the Resolve system.

An increase in diminishing returns to CC, which is what Resolve is for, gives you a fighting chance in a situation where you are being CC'ed and focused.

But it's not going to give you any more fighting chance than resolve does. You're still going to eat a full stun and still have those people beating on you and then eat more stuns after that, even if they're shorter duration. Diminishing Returns doesn't help you in the scenario you describe any more than Resolve does.

Edited by Bovinity

I only use my CC breaker if I am close to scoring in huttball, other than that I dont waste a keybind on it.

Now, what if there was an additional function of the CC break that added 50% to your resolve bar? That would make it much more difficult to be chain stunned

Melee characters are at a disadvantage and a tweak to Resolve could easily balance the scales.

It's just not good enough that Resolve can cut down on excessive CC every 2 minutes if you have a healer or someone Guarding you.

Is that working as intended? It doesn't seem so to me. It bothers me that I'm seing more people crying and posting about the lame Smuggler/Operative nerf to ONE FREAKING SKILL(Seriously, you guys are crybabies. The damage adjustment on one skill and the shortening of a knockdown CC is not going to make the classes useless ya drama queens.) than I'm seeing any open discourse on the ins and outs of Resolve.

To me Resolve is at the core of a lot of issues that people seem to be having. Resolve needs to be adjusted. It should be a full functional self reliant mechanic that doesn't need symbiosis with any other factors to do it's job effectively.

You must NEVER DO PVE, this NERF affects PVE for Smuggler/Opertive performance.

It is our signature move, how would you like your signature move cut in half?

Playing a Guardian I'm a bit torn about this subject. On one hand one of my biggest annoyances in this game is being knocked back thus filling my resolve to full in some instances and then realizing that I'm also rooted in place...now that shiny full resolve bar is completely useless because it does not affect root/snare CC's. So while I stand there being useless my resolve bar is slowly going down to the point where as I'm out of that root, I can be stunned again.

On the other hand if snares were to also affect resolve meters my chilling force ability will become useless as it's AOE snare will just give the enemy team full resolve very fast and allow them to move around freely not worrying about CC at all and marginalizing my role in group pvp even more. The chilling force is an essential skill for guard/juggs as it's the main tool for keeping in range once you've gained position. Making snares affect resolve will completely render it useless in PVP and it already has little to no use in PVE.

This is what I have the biggest issue with and I think that Resolve should be tweaked because of these kinds of situations that crop up every time you enter a Warzone.

Sorry, but no system is going to let you stand up against multiple people hitting you and CCing you. What you're describing is not the fault of the Resolve system

You're not getting what I'm saying at all. No one is saying that Resolve should enable you to stand up to focus fire while being CC'ed.

Diminishing returns on CC gives you a window of opportunity to get out of a situation where you are locked down and being CC'ed by the opposing team.

Resolve doesn't do this unless you can accompany it with your CC breaker, and even then it's not going to work against Roots, which shuts down melee classes of all shapes and sizes.

Seriously, it's not a crime to agree that Resolve needs some adjustments and I'm pretty sure you'd be hard press to find more people that think Resolve is fine the way it is than people who agree that it needs to be tweaked.

The crux of the issue is two-fold:

Not all CC increases Resolve

Resolves builds too slowly and burns down too quickly.

Edited by Skeptical

You're not getting what I'm saying at all. No one is saying that Resolve should enable you to stand up to focus fire while being CC'ed.

Diminishing returns on CC gives you a window of opportunity to get out of a situation where you are locked down and being CC'ed by the opposing team.

What does Diminishing Returns do for you that Resolve does not in a situation where multiple people are CCing you? Either you're referring to some other system or you're not clear on what Diminishing Returns does, because in reality Resolve can actually give you even more of a chance against people spamming CC's than Diminishing Returns would. Especially if the Diminishing Returns were based on CC type as they are in most games.

resolve resets too fast - period.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You gotta love when you are in a Mezz like from a Lightning Spec Sorc/Sage barrier bursting or a flash bomb and your resolve bar starts going down while you are still affected by the CC. It's not only this, but how full the resolve bar shows for yourself or an enemy just flat out does not work. You have a full resolve bar, but you still get stunned. You see someone else with a not full resolve bar, but your stun or knockback has no affect on them and they still have a not-full resolve bar afterwards. The whole mechanic is so filled with bugs, just getting it to work as it is currently intended would be a big step.

Then we can actually have the discussion of how it should be tweaked to make it better, i.e. I think a lot of people want Rooting abilities to be on the resolve system, as currently they are not on the system at all. Also, I think that CC abilities that fail because of the target having full resolve should show some kind of combat text (i.e. "Resolved" similar to how you see "Resist" or "Absorb") so that people have a clue why it didn't work.

What does Diminishing Returns do for you that Resolve does not in a situation where multiple people are CCing you? Either you're referring to some other system or you're not clear on what Diminishing Returns does, because in reality Resolve can actually give you even more of a chance against people spamming CC's than Diminishing Returns would. Especially if the Diminishing Returns were based on CC type as they are in most games.

You know what? You're right. You win. You're better at understanding mechanics of gameplay than everyone else in this thread that disagrees with you. Resolve is fine and we all need to learn to play.

Okay... you're ego is stroked and you can move along so that people with a clue can engage in discourse that will hopefully give the developers some feedback that could potentially make PvP more fun and engaging and not so random.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You gotta love when you are in a Mezz like from a Lightning Spec Sorc/Sage barrier bursting or a flash bomb and your resolve bar starts going down while you are still affected by the CC. It's not only this, but how full the resolve bar shows for yourself or an enemy just flat out does not work. You have a full resolve bar, but you still get stunned. You see someone else with a not full resolve bar, but your stun or knockback has no affect on them and they still have a not-full resolve bar afterwards. The whole mechanic is so filled with bugs, just getting it to work as it is currently intended would be a big step.

Then we can actually have the discussion of how it should be tweaked to make it better, i.e. I think a lot of people want Rooting abilities to be on the resolve system, as currently they are not on the system at all. Also, I think that CC abilities that fail because of the target having full resolve should show some kind of combat text (i.e. "Resolved" similar to how you see "Resist" or "Absorb") so that people have a clue why it didn't work.

Now you're cooking with some mother grabbin' propane, fool.

Is there any reason why Roots should not increase Resolve? I'm really trying to understand why it seemed like a good idea to have Roots live outside of the circle of CC that increases Resolve.

Wouldn't that go a long way towards balancing out the disparity between Melee and Ranged classes in PvP?

Edited by Skeptical

Resolve is completely useless right now. Even with a full bar, it rarely does anything to stop you from being CC'd. I don't know that I've ever noticed a significant difference between an empty resolve bar and a full resolve bar.

Roots/slows should count as a CC.

There are too many CCs. Not every AC needs 2-3 CC abilities.

Using the CC breaker should give you a few seconds of immunity every time you use it, including immunity to slows/roots.

You know what? You're right. You win. You're better at understanding mechanics of gameplay than everyone else in this thread that disagrees with you. Resolve is fine and we all need to learn to play.

Okay... you're ego is stroked and you can move along so that people with a clue can engage in discourse that will hopefully give the developers some feedback that could potentially make PvP more fun and engaging and not so random.

So I asked for some explanations and that's what I get? Ok....

So I asked for some explanations and that's what I get? Ok....

You didn't ask for an explanation. You intentionally took aspects of what I posted out of context and then refuted it without using any specifics I might add while implying that my post was a whine, cry, lack of skill, whatever.

All while trying to remain outside of the discussion so as to not leave yourself open to any kind of solid retort. It's the classic stance of the forum troll. I'm not saying that was your intent because I have no way of knowing that and I'm not going to try to put words in your mouth, for lack of a better way to put it, which is what you were trying to do.

If you want to be a part of a discussion then be a part of the discussion by refuting what you don't agree instead of using broad generalizations and skirting the edges of the issue while trying to sound superior.

In the immortal words of Yoda, see through you we can.

Resolve should not diminish while still rooted/snared/stunned/(anything that causes your character to not perform, not move or move at a speed less than the normal character rate of speed).

Snares are a form of CC. Roots are a form of CC. They should count toward resolve.

Snares and roots currently are a nightmare for melee because they have no ranged abilities to use to pressure their targets.

Snares and roots are a nightmare for a caster type because they are squishy and movement is their main mechanic of defense. If you take that away, they die without being able to cast (spell interrupts).

Being snared and rooted is not as bad as being stunned but it's not too far off from it.

Edited by EbbnFlow

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.