Karen Traviss

Artein

No. He spoke Mando'a.

Boba Fett was a Mandalorian:

In order to be considered a Mandalorian, one needs to follow the Resol'nare, which means you must follow the second tenet, "Speak our language."

So canonly, anyone who considered themselves a true Mandalorian, spoke Mando'a.

Boba Fett IS Mandalore and he does NOT speak Mando'a. You are making a ridiculous arguement based on the assumption that the person you replied to was wrong. They weren't, they were quoting actual canon.

"You still don't speak M'ando'a do you?" [beviin]

"Basic and Huttese. That's what I do business in." [boba Fett]

"Maybe we need a little less business and a ilttle more Mandalore, Bob'ika

From Star Wars: Legacy of the Force Bloodlines

by Karen Travis

Travis rammed an entire subplot into the series dealing with Boba's personal life. Travis made it very clear that he had little/no knowledge or connection to Mandalorian cutlure and knew a handful of Mando words only. The language thing comes up a ton in her LotF books, it allows Travis to use her stupid language and the Mando fanboys can learn what it means when Boba goes, "huh? What does that mean?"

This is also where she took Mando iron once rare and made it common again, as well as giving the clones a super secret cure for their advanced aging problems. That way she could have Clones from the Clone Wars show up 60 years later.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boba Fett IS Mandalore and he does NOT speak Mando'a. You are making a ridiculous arguement based on the assumption that the person you replied to was wrong. They weren't, they were quoting actual canon.

Are you sure he does not speak Mando's? I am pretty sure he can.

"You still don't speak M'ando'a do you?" [beviin]

"Basic and Huttese. That's what I do business in." [boba Fett]

"Maybe we need a little less business and a ilttle more Mandalore, Bob'ika

From Star Wars: Legacy of the Force Bloodlines

by Karen Travis

Travis rammed an entire subplot into the series dealing with Boba's personal life. Travis made it very clear that he had little/no knowledge or connection to Mandalorian cutlure and knew a handful of Mando words only. The language thing comes up a ton in her LotF books, it allows Travis to use her stupid language and the Mando fanboys can learn what it means when Boba goes, "huh? What does that mean?"

This is also where she took Mando iron once rare and made it common again, as well as giving the clones a super secret cure for their advanced aging problems. That way she could have Clones from the Clone Wars show up 60 years later.

He isn't fluent, but he speaks Mando'a. He might only know a few words, but that's still speaking it... In the novel "Bloodlines" its acknowledge that he is fluent in both Basic and Huttese, but he is learning Mando'a.

In time leading up to his encounter with Fenn Shysa, Boba Fett had renounced his Mandalorian heritage and was living his life as a Hunter and a Merc. Not untill Fenn died saving Boba's life did he even consider living a Mandalorian way of life. In his dying breath, Fenn told Boba to lead the Mandalorians as Mand'alor and Boba accepted out of respect and honor. That is when Boba became a Mandalorian.

When you are first brought into the Mandalorians, it isn't expected that you know every word of the language or know the culture very well either. But the fact that Boba was attempting to learn Mando'a and the Resol'nare show his commitment to the Mandalorians and to leading them.

But saying the Boba doesn't speak any Mando'a is just plain wrong.

My wife quotes bits and phrases in the mando language when we pen and paper RP. She had a nerdgasm when playing a BH in TOR when she picked up her mando companion and he started speaking mando at her.

Yeah, BioWare used Mando'a in a lot of places in the BH story. Just another example that it's canon.

On Tatooine there is a group of Mandalorians and many pieces of dialog include Mando'a words.

Edited by Skapek-Skocap

Yeah, BioWare used Mando'a in a lot of places in the BH story. Just another example that it's canon.

On Tatooine there is a group of Mandalorians and many pieces of dialog include Mando'a words.

Ep. 2 Boba and Jango speak mando in their Apartment.

No where does a Jedi Knight in TOR have to abide by the Jedi Code, and he is still considered a Jedi. No where does a Sith Warrior in TOR need to abide by the Sith Code, and he is still considered a Sith. So I guess they don't exist either? Drawing your logic on an MMO isn't the best thing to do.

If you want to RP a Jedi, you must follow the Jedi Code. If you wish to RP a Sith, you must follow the Sith Code. If you wish to RP a Mandalorian, you must follow the Resol'nare. If you don't follow them, you aren't any of the above. Your merely a Force user, Gray Jedi, Renegade Sith, or Dar'manda.

Resol'nare is Canon.

Mando'a is Canon.

Mandalorians speaking Mando'a is Canon.

Mandalorians following the Resol'nare is Canon.

Thanks.

You should probably play a Jedi before making any kind of statements like "no where does a Jedi Knight in TOR have to abide by the Jedi Code." The Code is referenced constantly, especially during the starter quests. The Sith Warrior and Inquisitor starter quests also frequently mention the Sith Code.

You should probably play a Jedi before making any kind of statements like "no where does a Jedi Knight in TOR have to abide by the Jedi Code." The Code is referenced constantly, especially during the starter quests. The Sith Warrior and Inquisitor starter quests also frequently mention the Sith Code.

I have both a Jedi Sentinal and a Sith Sorc.

It is mentioned in the story, but no matter what options you choose in your story, you are still considered a Jedi or a Sith. A Jedi character can lie every chance he gets and kill every person he possibly can while ingame... but the story still continues and Satale and the Jedi council still recognize you as a Jedi.

A Bounty Hunter can accept the invitation to the Mandalorians and be considered one, but he can still spare every enemy weaker then him and not fight for honor. Fact is, it's a game.

No where in the game will it say "If you choose this option to kill this innocent person, you will forsake your connection to the Jedi and be banished from the order."

Same thing goes for the Bounty Hunter and Mandalorian story.

Edited by Skapek-Skocap

Actually, I think this points to a larger EU flaw not at all unique to Traviss. Namely: Luke Leia, Han, Lando, Boba, etc must all be like, what, 70-plus years old by now? Yet they're all still running around and having adventures as if they're in their 30s. Luke I can almost buy because he's a big Jedi Master and all, but one would think the biggest adventures the others could have is changing their Space-Depends.

They have referenced age before. Pelleaon was 93 when he died, and was still considered to have many more years left. Humans live longer in that 'verse because of Bacta/cybernetics and overall advances in healthcare. I think they have alluded to the average human lifespan in the SW 'verse at being around 140 or so.

I hate her attitude towards jedi

Karen Traviss posted:

I see Vader as a tragic character who's been betrayed by everyone, and I can't help thinking of the Jedi as self-serving unelected elitist spoon-benders making whoopee on Republic taxpayers' credits. It's an iconoclastic journo world-view. Believe me, Order 66 was long overdue. I have a couple of Jedi that I don't want to shoot on sight, but they're my own creations, so I could make them a little humbler and more aware of the consequences they create for others.

Order 66 was long overdue....

Are you kidding me, it was genocide.

as has been posted on here before please go to

http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/28128642/p5

Scroll down to you see a big post from YodaKenobi

he goes through one of her books and points out how the entire time boba fett rails on the jedi and how they are effectively useless.

Jaina gets help on working a comm link and paises Fett on creating a new technology.

Its as though she never fought in the Yuuzong Vong war, created moves and technology to defeat them.

In fact she is even shown to be inferior to ALL mandalorian pilots when she is in fact one of the best fighter pilots in the galaxy

Yeah, I hated when Traviss' turn came up in the LotF series.

I liked Alliston's humor so even if he isn't the best writer it was enjoyable. Denning is the tragic writer..people tend to die in his books (Anakin Solo; Star by Star). I can't remember, but didn't he write Sacrifice?

I is no doubt just my fanon but I always assumed the point of the Jedi code was to not understand it and debate it from other points of view.

Anyway you can't write a story about breed slaves and not stop and think that the situation is more then a little messed up on the Jedi's end.

It important to understand that each writer is telling a starwars story in a whole new world with different rules. In Bob's starwars book Luke can rebuild castles and destroy star destroyers with a simple thought... but in Tom's book Luke damn near meets his end to a simple thug with an axe.

In karen Traviss's world Batman is the better hero and can take Superman in a fight... in Bob's world superman is the moral bastion and the only way Batman won that one time is because Superman was tripping over himself trying to take it easy and not acidintly kill Batman in one of the dozen opportunity's he had in the fight.

The only form of canon that has any meaning is fanon.... and Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy.

I like the books, but I wouldn't suggest reading them since they're stuck in "cannon limbo." I love her books in the Legacy of the Force and I love the work she's done for the Halo novels.

Also, I like what they did for the Mandolorians in the Clome Wars. Don't knock the show until you've watched all of it. Especially the later seasons.

They have referenced age before. Pelleaon was 93 when he died, and was still considered to have many more years left. Humans live longer in that 'verse because of Bacta/cybernetics and overall advances in healthcare. I think they have alluded to the average human lifespan in the SW 'verse at being around 140 or so.

Luke and Leia are around 63 in the most recent novels. They were born 19 years before Episode 4 and the books are currently at 44 years the movie.

Not being argumentative, just supporting your quotes.

So I recently ordered the first novel from the Republic Commando series (Hard Contact I believe is the title). This is my first Star Wars novel ever. I've played many games, read some comics, watched movies and cartoons but never read a SW novel before.

So yeah, I want to hear different opinions. I've read that she's horribly bad, but also some people really like her books. I'd love to hear some constructive discussion. Should I expect something really bad? Something just fine? Something good? Something awesome?

Despite all the drama associated with this writer (both real and imagined...and frankly whether or not she did or did not rage at star wars fans, lets face facts, hardcore fans can be REALLY pushy about things to the point of harrassment) the Republic Commando Books are fantastic. People complain about them portraying Jedi negatively, but they seem to forget that with the exception of Luke, Yoda, old Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn, the Jedi are shown to be pretty darn arrogant and self-righteous in the movies and video games. And as for the Mandalorians being shown as these super-elite badarses, well people seem to somehow forget that if not for Revan, they might have conquered the Republic.

So ignore the hate, read the books and judge for yourself. I think you will like them, as they are extremely well written and have a great story. Read all of them, not just the Republic Commando novels, you won't be dissapointed.

DarthMoord, are you a Linguistics major by any chance? I could read that little lecture you typed up back there all day. And in fact, I would probably have to do so just to properly comprehend all of it. I plan to set aside one of my days off to do just that. ;)

Come to think of it, LucasArts should probably hire you to revamp Mando'a. Would it be possible to make it a more effective and realistic language without altering or erasing any of the existing words? Maybe not. Oh well.

At least until canon changes again, Boba fett is trying to learn mando'a....he knows a FEW words. He IS Mandalore.

So being Mandalore, he HAS to be mandalorian.

Speaking A FEW words of a language doesn't qualify you as speaking the language.

I speak a few words of spanish, german, japanese, chinese and more than a few words in latin....but that doesn't qualifty me to be labeled as "speaking" any of those languages.

Saying that boba fett MUST be able to speak mando'a because he has to because hes mandalorian because hes mandalore is absurd....ESPECIALLY when canon specifically says he does not.

the Jedi are shown to be pretty darn arrogant and self-righteous in the movies and video games

They were arrogant and self-righteous, but they didn't think of clones as meat-droids, little better than slaves, only useful to be thrown to their deaths by the millions as Traviss depicts them. Every Jedi-Clone interaction outside of the Travissty novels depicts exactly the opposite: The Jedi are the ones pushing the clones to be more individualistic and telling them they matter, the Jedi are the ones telling them that their lives are worth saving, the clones themselves are the ones who by-and-large see themselves as nothing but biological droids whose only purpose is to die for the Republic, the Jedi weren't the vanguard of the Republic aristocracy who care not for the peasantry that Traviss likes to depict.

Karen Traviss wanted to write a story about unrecognized heroes being stepped on by their oppressive government and be damned whether it made sense within the setting, this is why her Star Wars and Gears of War novels are virtually identical from a readers perspective.

DarthMoord, are you a Linguistics major by any chance? I could read that little lecture you typed up back there all day. And in fact, I would probably have to do so just to properly comprehend all of it. I plan to set aside one of my days off to do just that. ;)

No, if you read it again, I clearly disclaim the piece as being my own. It was written by a female acquaintance of mine.:p

Edited by DarthMoord

Karen Traviss posted:

I see Vader as a tragic character who's been betrayed by everyone, and I can't help thinking of the Jedi as self-serving unelected elitist spoon-benders making whoopee on Republic taxpayers' credits. It's an iconoclastic journo world-view. Believe me, Order 66 was long overdue. I have a couple of Jedi that I don't want to shoot on sight, but they're my own creations, so I could make them a little humbler and more aware of the consequences they create for others.

THAT'S the quote I was looking for earlier, thank you!

Neatly sums up the major problem with her not just as a Jedi-hater, but as a writer in a collaborative universe:

Only my characters are any good. Everyone else sucks and deserves to be butchered like an animal.

And she has the nerve to accuse the JEDI of being elitist snobs?

• 4 months later...
I honestly like what TCW did with the Mandalorians. It reduced them from being a Planet of Hats (Hat being mercs/warriors) into a more nuanced culture that had internal disagreements.

The New Mandalorians kinda had a point too, considering the Mando way of warfare was "Start strong, lose horribly once the Jedi come".

it looks like the death watch may return mandalor to its old ways and i like it.

i mean given how the mandos have been more or less waring against the jedi in this timeline id find it hard to beleive that they kept doing this for the next 3000 years without dieing off.

They killed the Mandalorians in TCW. Karen Traviss was an amazing author, and all of her RC books are great.

What? They SAVED the Mandalorians in TCW. If it weren't for that retcon, the Mandalorians would still be a race of pretentious Mary Sues/Gary Stus under the thumb of the bad writer that is Karen Traviss.

I have always just found her to needlessly kill off characters, Mara Jade being the most pointless one. It's a shame she has such selfish views of the SW world since as an actual writer (in the ability to make a story read well) she is entertaining.

to be fair thougth i love mara jade and hated her being killed im sure people felt the same way about chewie.