I can NOT believe SWG was cancelled because of SW:TOR!!!

dbseeker

I thought they were all role playing lol.

Being as SWG was my very first MMO, I remember when I was like barely lvl 14 or something and I made a friend who was a few lvls above me. Well, he was my first friend and naturally I clung to him because I didn't know anything about the game and so he seemed like he knew. I remember feeling like he was my ticket to helping me understand the game, and I used to send him /tells all the time and so we became friends and would venture off and kills stuff together. This was on Talus, my character's birth planet.

And the feeling of setting up camp felt so cozy and safe. It was dangerous out there, especially not knowing your role, you felt actually scared to do something stupid so I was always behind my friend's back, watching my every step cause I didn't wanna die. I remember asking him if we had enough materials to make additional camps cause I thought camps were what was gonna keep us alive...man...seriously...uuhhhhh...im kinda sad now:(

i played swg for 2 years. i had 2 accounts because it was 1 toon per server back then, and i needed a crafter . but tbh, that game wasn't that great in a lot of ways . the combat sytem was a joke , for one . def stacking, knock down spam, combat medic poisons/deseases killing groups of people in seconds , atat walkers as pets that you couldn't board , no counter rebel pet = to the walkers ...the list goes on.

grind..grind..grind..grind... i loved the game , but wow took all/most of it's player base for a reason.

i played swg for 2 years. i had 2 accounts because it was 1 toon per server back then, and i needed a crafter . but tbh, that game wasn't that great in a lot of ways . the combat sytem was a joke , for one . def stacking, knock down spam, combat medic poisons/deseases killing groups of people in seconds , atat walkers as pets that you couldn't board , no counter rebel pet = to the walkers ...the list goes on.

grind..grind..grind..grind... i loved the game , but wow took all/most of it's player base for a reason.

Look, the game wasn't perfect, no game is, including the holy grail of mmos (WoW) <sarcasm> but the goods definetly out wayed the bad, that's why that game will forever live in our memory as one of the best mmos every. And those days are now long gone replaced with McDonalds style mmos catering to lazy gamers who want everything wrapped in a pretty basket and handed to them.

you're extremely deluded.

SWG Never once broke 400k subs.

It never rose above 120k subs after the initial launch rush.

SWG was cancelled because it was a money-loser, plain and simple. It wasn't this nirvana of awesome - if it had been, it wouldnt have been such a dismal, utter failure.

ITP someone who thinks every MMO needs 15 million subs to be profitable.

Guess what, SWTOR costs what, over 400 million to make? 400 million and they said that they only needed 500k subs to be profitable.

Well, SWG would have only cost a fraction of that, but lets be generous, lets say it cost 50 mill. 400/50=8, 500/8=62. So 62k subs to be profitable? Yeah, obviously there's more variables than that, but i'd say it wouldn't be too far off.

But guess what, SWG blitzed that #, and had 300k+ subs for 2 years (WOW says hi in 04'), 200k+ for another year, and 100k+ for another 2 years. Then there was another 3 years after that where it was still 50k+.

Money-loser?

Lmao.

Let's see where SWTOR with it's 400-500 million budget is in 8 years shall we?

Oh, and SWG didn't cater for the console generation (read: simpletons) / mass market [at least until they tried with NGE/CU - but that's a whole other thread], so it was never going to pull WOW's #'s (who does?), but to claim it was failure... rofl.

Deluded? Yes, yes you are.

Edited by Jebi

swg was canned because the license was coming to an end, George charges a fortune for the IP and it was decided that considering subcription rates were pretty low anyway and this game was coming out, SWG would take another hit, so it was hardly worth renewing. Edited by Sumire

Look, the game wasn't perfect, no game is, including the holy grail of mmos (WoW) <sarcasm> but the goods definetly out wayed the bad, that's why that game will forever live in our memory as one of the best mmos every. And those days are now long gone replaced with McDonalds style mmos catering to lazy gamers who want everything wrapped in a pretty basket and handed to them.

what was good about it , the sandbox part of it ? there are plenty of ftp sandbox MMO's out there that are probably better then SWG ever was . if SWG wasn't star wars i would have never played it . i'm a huge star wars fan, so naturaly i loved the game for the first year . and i reluctantly went to wow w/ my guild after 2 years of SWG . wow had a way beter combat system and content. and thats what made me stay there . even though i hated almost every thing else about wow ..

ITP someone who thinks every MMO needs 15 million subs to be profitable.

Guess what, SWTOR costs what, over 400 million to make? 400 million and they said that they only needed 500k subs to be profitable.

Well, SWG would have only cost a fraction of that, but lets be generous, lets say it cost 50 mill. 400/50=8, 500/8=62. So 62k subs to be profitable? Yeah, obviously there's more variables than that, but i'd say it wouldn't be too far off.

But guess what, SWG blitzed that #, and had 300k+ subs for 2 years (WOW says hi in 04'), 200k+ for another year, and 100k+ for another 2 years. Then there was another 3 years after that where it was still 50k+.

Money-loser?

Lmao.

Let's see where SWTOR with it's 400-500 million budget is in 8 years shall we?

Oh, and SWG didn't cater for the console generation (read: simpletons) / mass market [at least until they tried with NGE/CU - but that's a whole other thread], so it was never going to pull WOW's #'s (who does?), but to claim it was failure... rofl.

Deluded? Yes, yes you are.

it was close to a 200 million budget, but your points are valid for the most part. You have to consider though, if it wasn't a star wars game, the game would have died after the first major revamp or definately the release of the nge.

I love these threads. At the end of the day, no one cares if you like game A or game B. If game C sells the most copies, then people are going to emulate that game. If game C is from a company with a well known reputation for delivering on an excellent directed narrative experience, even better.

But, just to throw in my two cents about SWG vs. TOR. SWG was terrible, if you didn't like Sand Box/Grinding style games. I don't. That's why I was subbed to to WoW for a lot longer then I was SWG. Well, that and the NGE made every class feel so linear it was ridiculous. TOR is much better then WoW, in the questing experience and crafting areas, at least. When my guild left WoW early in Cata, I wasn't able to do any of the end game. It wasn't long after that that I quit.

I haven't touched so much as a FP since I ran my friend through Mando Raiders. Yet, I'm still playing. I've been playing since August when I was invited to the beta. There's nothing SWG offered that could have kept me playing that long. Oh! I can go grind out my profs trying to become a Jedi! Then hide so I don't killed by a Bounty Hunter. Oh, but wait! I could try and make this really awesome gun. Then do what with it?

That last part is what convinced one of my long-time guildies to quit. He found himself in a position where the only thing left for him to do was grind mats to make a gun to make him more unkillable then he already was.

eeeya, that's not gonna happen. Just think of SW:TOR as the McDonalds of MMOs.

McDonalds is incredibly popular, so that'd be great for the game. Assuming they don't go the Blizzard route and nerf everything into the ground because two people can't beat the content.