The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure we can. We've established that a faster, less time consuming travel method is inferior to an AFK-able travel method that takes considerable more time.

Now, when it is put into words it looks silly but that's what folks are arguing for.

Nice try. I'm a little smarter than to fall for that. It's not a "faster, less time-consuming method." Oh and by the way. Faster AND less time-consuming? I guess if you can only find one good thing to say, say it twice in different ways!

More accurately, it's a "slightly faster method that is far more tedious, and the tedium renders the slight time-savings moot."

No one wants Eve Online's 2 hour travel times. But I'm sorry, saving maybe 1-3 minutes off the average travel time in most other MMO's is not significant enough to redeem the multiple area transitions, loading screens, and the clunky nature of the travel.

Edited by Mannic

Nice try. I'm a little smarter than to fall for that. It's not a "faster, less time-consuming method." And why you didn't just choose "faster" instead of using two adjectives that mean the same thing is a mystery to me. I guess you can only find one adjective to describe travel in TOR because all the rest would be pejorative.

It's a "slightly faster method that is far more tedious."

No one wants Eve Online's 2 hour travel times. But I'm sorry, saving maybe 1-3 minutes off the average travel time in most other MMO's is not significant enough to redeem the multiple area transitions, loading screens, and the clunky nature of the travel.

I know it makes your position look lame, but it is your position. Don't rage at me for it.

We can go back in this thread and find examples of people looking to build in AFK time in travel just to avoid clicking though an airlock. Pretend those posts don't exist if your must but it won't make the disappear.

I know it makes your position look lame, but it is your position. Don't rage at me for it.

We can go back in this thread and find examples of people looking to build in AFK time in travel just to avoid clicking though an airlock. Pretend those posts don't exist if your must but it won't make the disappear.

What's wrong with AFK travel?

The only "lame" position in this thread is the position that being at your computer, clicking on area-tranistion switches, is somehow "immersive." You might as well show up for a job interview wearing a Star Trek lapel and giving the Vulcan salute. I'm pretty sure though that if someone created a game called "switches and elevators!" you'd be first in line to buy it, since evidently it adds so much to the gameplay from your perspective.

What's wrong with AFK travel?

The whole "AFK" part.

The only "lame" position in this thread is the position that being at your computer, clicking on area-tranistion switches, is somehow "immersive." You might as well show up for a job interview wearing a Star Trek lapel and giving the Vulcan salute. I'm pretty sure though that if someone created a game called "switches and elevators!" you'd be first in line to buy it, since evidently it adds so much to the gameplay from your perspective.

I see the more your argument crumbles the more personal you get. I am sorry if pointing out untenable positions causes it.

I never hear the "immersion" folks complaining that the takeoff and flying cutscenes aren't hours long. And yes, they do fly for hours in the movies, so don't even. Suggest you don't like running through the same space port and making the same silly elevator connections five times an hour though, and they get all uppity about their precious immersion.

Umm... You're not actually playing. AFK = away from keyboard.

So, clicking switches is "playing." It's fun for you.

Just admit it. Say it out loud. "I find clicking siwtches and activating loading screens to be immersive."

Sure we can. We've established that a faster, less time consuming travel method is inferior to an AFK-able travel method that takes considerable more time.

Now, when it is put into words it looks silly but that's what folks are arguing for.

I enjoyed travel in WoW for three reasons.

1) The scenery of flying on a griffon is superior to a hallway/hangar/loading screen.

2) I have the option to get up and take care of something out-of-game.

3) It gave travel a sense of scale because I could see I was traversing huge portions of the landscape.

How is that silly?

I never hear the "immersion" folks complaining that the takeoff and flying cutscenes aren't hours long. And yes, they do fly for hours in the movies, so don't even.

LOL, no there don't. The movies are even two hours in lenght....

I applaud Surakis on his excellent job of trolling in this thread...

I do agree that the whole hanger/spacestation/airlock ship thing is a bit redundant.

I'd much much rather just be able to go from the space port to my ship... Why can't my ship land there anyway? Its not THAT big.

If you want the whole having to do something timesink... add a little bit of on rails or off rails space flight to the travel.

I'd gladly pilot my ship through an asteroid field or an ambush attack by the enemy to get to my destination.... that would be better then running through 5 different loading screens, and it would make it a bit more immersive and fun.

So, clicking switches is "playing." It's fun for you.

Just admit it. Say it out loud. "I find clicking siwtches and activating loading screens to be immersive."

No, I want to actually fly my ship from planet to planet like you can do in EVE Online.

I enjoyed travel in WoW for three reasons.

1) The scenery of flying on a griffon is superior to a hallway/hangar/loading screen.

2) I have the option to get up and take care of something out-of-game.

3) It gave travel a sense of scale because I could see I was traversing huge portions of the landscape.

How is that silly?

It isn't silly. But trolls are gonna troll.

I just get annoyed with in-space shuttle docks and how silly-difficult it is to get back to your spaceship. They could honestly show me taking a shuttle in a cutscene and save me the intermittent run. It's really the least they could do.

But, yah, time sink--not a very good one either, imo. People have said many times this adds immersion but for long runs i set the character on auto and alt-tab out. It's like WoW with its long griffin rides: you can't get immersion when people are alt-tabbing. The argument is illogical.

No, I want to actually fly my ship from planet to planet like you can do in EVE Online.

I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't take 2 hours to get from Tatooine to Imperial Fleet.

But now you're talking about a serious and total reprioritization of the game design by Bioware.

Given the game's current design I'd be satisfied to be able to shuttle to my ship and then have the "hyperspace" transition of flying between planets take longer if the game really needs a time sink that bad. The running through blank hallways activating area transitions and loading screens method in the game now adds nothing to the game other than a time sink. If all they want from travel is to add a time sink, then at least let me AFK through it.

Edited by Mannic

What I don't understand is the logic behind this progression:

1) board the ship from Planet A

2) take off from the planet

3) travel to a different area of the galaxy for a space mission

4) do the space mission

5) step out the back door directly onto Planet A

Not that I think the process needs to take longer or use more cutscenes to explain travel. It just doesn't make any sense as is.

Personally ive never complained about anything about this game. It took 2 weeks to get both my service tickets answered. I didnt care its a new game it has some issues i can wait no big deal. Sure there is glitches its a new game no big deal.

I love this game im having a blast with it. I love the story line i dont fast forward through anything. Ive been playing since beta and just hit level 50 3 days ago. So im not one of the speed players at all.

With all that said i will say the travel between planets was fun at first now its gotten so annoying, mundane and pointless there has actually been times when i needed to go somewhere that i actually logged out of the game just because i wasnt in the mood to go through so many steps to get to another planet. If nothing else at least allow players to use their speeders in the space ports to cut some time out of the travel. That would be enough to make me happy.

Im not unhappy anyway i guess but when i log off because i dont want to go to another planet that tells me im getting burned out. I would hate to stop playing such a fun game because im burned out on traveling from planet to planet.

I believe BW allowed themselves to expand the zones in order to provide other area to explore on said planets eventually that wont be connected to the area already seen.

Basically from the orbital station you can transfer on different area of the planet that aren't connected together. Just saying there might be a design reason for this

Disclaimer: this is my own hypothesis, and I can't exactly prove it short of bioware coming out and saying 'yeah that's what happened', so you guys can take all this with a pinch of salt.

At the first few planets I really enjoyed the travel mechanic: taking off and landing on a planet through its spaceport was pretty darn fun. The cutscenes were pretty interesting too. After a while though I realized we had exchanged the space ports and unique cutscenes with an identical orbital station and cookie cutter cutscenes in later planets.

So my assumption is that the reason why some planets have that orbital station is due to them not wanting to worry abt different cutscenes between planets.

What I don't understand is why couldn't they have found a better workaround for this. I'm perfectly happy with ship->planet travel. It's ship->orbital station->planet travel that I don't get. Considering how empty the station usually is, that extra travel time really feels like busy work. And it's not like having a planetside spaceport as opposed to an orbital station will cut anyone's immersion.

SWG travel was a good thing You didn't have individual class hangers, not even sure why on earth that is in the game. You could go to the space station, click a terminal and go to any major city. There were cities where you could buy tickets to from the main station if you wanted to go to a smaller city. If you were out in the boonies and had the instant travel ship and a place big enough, you could call it and pick which city to head to.

I don't think anyone is lazy for wanting faster travel. Some people are more busy than others. If you have 8 hrs to sit and play it probably doesn't matter to you. It gives you a drink, smoke or bathroom break with the loading screens and running through stations. Fine with me if you like that and want to do that. I don't see why we can't have faster travel as an OPTION for those of us that want to use it.

Everyone has a different way of playing. I could care less if you want to go through the stations and loading screens, have at it. If I don't, it shouldn't matter to you if I want to travel a faster way.

Why are there individual class hangers? They seem completely irrelevant. I never see another of my class in the hanger anyway.

Oh an orbital stations.... god stop it. I can appreciate a time sink, but when these area's are completely void of other players it seems even more pointless.