The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

SWG employed an even slower tactic to planetary travel. Go into starport -> Purchase ticket to desired planet -> run to the ship -> (if there is a wait due to it just taking off) wait 5 minutes -> give droid your ticket, and finally load to the other planet. It changed a lot after JTL expansion, though.

It was 10 min originally. The wait was there because it was stressful at the time for the servers to teleport players between planets. When they got better servers, they lowered it to 5 min.

I preferred the SWG waits, even the 10 min ones, because players would stand around and socialize, sell crafted items, roleplay, duel, etc. I remember dueling was very popular, and there were a number of people who would hang out in starports all day waiting to duel travelers.

Running through hallways doesn't allow for any of these things, it's just a pointless timesink and a way to make the game appear larger than it is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, traveling from 1 continent to the other takes only a few minutes...by boat.

You run to a Dock, run on the boat, few mins later your on another Continent.

Not, run to Dock, wait in line to buy ticket, wait in line to board ship, wiat in line to check in, then Travel to another Continent....

But you do wait for the boat, yes? I remember fishing many o' times waiting for boat or approaching a boat only to see it depart a second or two before you'd board it.

Actually, the process shouldn't matter at all. The fact is, you can get from anywhere to any quest hub in shorter time than any major MMO out there.

Run, click, wait, run, click, wait, run, click, run, click, wait, run, click, wait.

vs.

Run, click, wait.

Even if the second one takes more time in total, as you claim repeatedly, it's still less tedious.

All in all I think most would agree that travel lag is totally unecessary. This game, at least to me makes it far worse... instead of standing there with other players and waiting, you have to run throughg multiple empty zones and load screens where there is absolutely zero other people.. just to get on your ship to click a button to go to another loading screen... the entire travel design is really awkwardand not fun in any way.

Worse yet, I hope you travel haters out there never play Silk Road Online. You had to literally trek across one massive section of land to a ferry (which was NOT like a spaceport, and having no checkpoints like taxi terminals), take said ferry, then trek again all the way across another large section of land just to get to the next major town. So in other words, you had no instant traveling methods, and had to cover 2 lengths of large space just to get to and from.

Oh, and don't forget all the aggro mob hell you had to go through while doing so - which were typically higher level than you. Of course there was one tele travel option, but it costs out the bum to use it - not practical for beginners or poor folks.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to avoid that game. But it still doesn't sound a tedious as TOR.

Nah. Some of us just have lives and hate wasting time because developers decided to go with stupid, brainless, dense, half-witted, idiotic, iinane, ludicrous, moronic, unthinking, witless decisions (I hope the devs get my subtleties) when it comes to traveling.

Honestly. One of the reasons I didn't resub was the horrible travel system and how long it takes just to get from one place to another.

This isn't life. I'm not getting into a car. This is a game, and because the developers were stupid about the way the made travel work, the game wastes my time.

I think I speak on behalf of pretty much everyone here when I say... you won't be missed.

I hear ya, when I flew my spaceship in SWG I just ran up to the terminal, jumped in whatever ship I wanted to fly that day and flew directly to the planet I was going to, could even land near my own house.

As others have stated this is a time sink, just one of the more obvious annoying ones I have seen.

Run, click, wait, run, click, wait, run, click, run, click, wait, run, click, wait.

vs.

Run, click, wait.

Even if the second one takes more time in total, as you claim repeatedly, it's still less tedious.

I find it tedious to spend long stretches of time traveling unable to do actually play the game. It is not tedious to have travel virtualy on demand that is shorter than most and is interactive to boot.

It was 10 min originally. The wait was there because it was stressful at the time for the servers to teleport players between planets. When they got better servers, they lowered it to 5 min.

I preferred the SWG waits, even the 10 min ones, because players would stand around and socialize, sell crafted items, roleplay, duel, etc. I remember dueling was very popular, and there were a number of people who would hang out in starports all day waiting to duel travelers.

Running through hallways doesn't allow for any of these things, it's just a pointless timesink and a way to make the game appear larger than it is.

I am inclined to agree with you on the part about it being more engaging in SWG as far as the wait went. I was merely making the point that timesink travel is by no means new or game breaking. Whether it is a ploy to make the game larger is another discussion altogether. But there is no reason for players to be able to insta-port anywhere they want just because they believe the current form of transport is annoying.

Do what the original MMO players did - accept the way things are and quit crying - or go away.

vs.

Run, click, wait.

Says you. Lots of us would much rather spend 5 minutes moving our characters than 15 waiting for a stupid-looking dragon to fly me to a quest hub.

More time playing, less time watching TV.

Edited by Sai-to

No need to change things, the system works fine as is.

Totally agree with that. It is not like planets are linked to each other. That is the reason for the space travel between planets and others objects.

Also you are only looking at 3 minutes to get to a planet from the ship. In that time you can check in any Companions want to talk with you and do some space battles.

Edited by Romiz

I accept that it's a timesink. Unfortunately I'm here because I'm a Bioware fan, and am more interested in story and doing things than the multiple timesinks this game foisters on you. I guess the game's just not for me, and that's fine.

I accept that it's a timesink. Unfortunately I'm here because I'm a Bioware fan, and am more interested in story and doing things than the multiple timesinks this game foisters on you. I guess the game's just not for me, and that's fine.

This is a fact for ALL MMOs. Compared to WoW the time sinks in TOR are minor.

Says you. Lots of us would much rather spend 5 minutes moving our characters than 15 waiting for a stupid-looking dragon to fly me to a quest hub.

And the Datacron on Tatooine in the desert arent enough of a time sink for you!!

I agree with the comments that the travel system is annoying not so much about the time involved but the dull running through different points and load screens. I actually like having to use my ship. Or like the idea of it because right now it's just a massive quick travel node like the ones on planets.

I would much rather spend actual travel time on my ship as far as immersion goes. Right now it doesn't even really feel that I actually travel long distance through space. Just looooong distance through hallways and load screens with a quick stop on the ship to click one button.

I would much rather go through more actual using the ship (in terms of time) then running through hallways. Like more instant travel to the hanger. Then power the thing up, spend the few minutes in the pilot seat and then get to the destination. The time could be the same as the process takes now. It would just at least feel more space travelly rather then run run run.

Edited by Jalliah

Hell no, you did not go there.

Dumbest statement ever.

Did you play in vanilla?

It is in fact your statement that is ridiculous.

people that compare wow to this when they arent comparing vanilla wow to swtor have 0 credibility and you make yourself look stupid.

I find it tedious to spend long stretches of time traveling unable to do actually play the game. It is not tedious to have travel virtualy on demand that is shorter than most and is interactive to boot.

And while you are waiting for the boat or riding the dragon or whatever , you can actually do something. I tend to take that time to review quests, do what needs to be done with my inventory, including sorting it (an pointless task in TOR since there is not way to keep things organized with inventory being a single, large area), talk to my guild, or whatever I want. If I need to take a bio or refill my coffee cup, I can also do that.

But in TOR, you can do nothing else. The run portions are too short, and require you to make turns or go up stairs (such as on some ships). The wait portions are load transitions or actual load screens. There is no point in the interplanetary travel (the equivalent of inter-zone travel in most games) in TOR where you can actually do anything except run, click, wait, repeat.

I don't consider doing that to be "playing" the game. Inventory management, quest log reading, guild chat. . . those are playing the game.

Heck, they give us these this great codex. What if they streamlined the travel such that it allowed us to read that? I bet more people would actually read through it if they could do it during travel. I know I currently do most of my reading of it while taking taxis. But most of the taxi runs aren't long enough to get much reading done.

I agree with OP, they can make more constructive and FUN ways to use time sink, but making us run through the same orbital space station, the same hangar, the same thing on every planet is dull, and boring, and to some even confusing. Please put some markings of what planet it is before you go down from the orbital station and discover by persona ldeduction that hey you are not on hoth but you are on voss ...

Then can add a speed up option aside from the option that is now in the game, for those that do not have the time to waste.

Also whenever a guild mate asks for help i almost never awnser if he is on another planet, i wast at least 15 min with loading screens, and walking though hangars which is so boring , so i end up in NOT helping almost anyone even though i want to...