Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

Why are you worrying about everyone else? Who cares if they are doing the same thing. In Mass Effect people were following the same story as well. Are you going to hate on Mass Effect because everyone has the same plot?

even in all the other MMOs everyone was doing the same thing. at least in SWTOR you can occaisonally make the odd choice

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more of a single-player game with elements allowing players to connect with each other.

I am so sick of hearing this. This is no more a single player game than WoW is a single player game.

Name one thing that WoW or other similar MMOs do to force people together more than this game?

In fact, one of WoW's main selling points is that the solo player could play the whole way through to max level IF THEY WANTED. The Devs even talk about this. That is why WoW sold so well.

The next person to say this is a single player game deserves a kick in the arse. Hypothetically speaking of course...

Edited by Arkerus

The story's better then any other mmo sure, but it's not a great story by any means.

I did find it hilarious that the big plot twist of both sith storys is SPOILERS the same exact thing all sith do!

The very fact that you're warning about spoilers in an MMO should attest to what a unique game this is. Unique never pleases everyone though, unfortunately.

b) offer real quest path differences based on the decisions we make... instead of just light/dark/affection changes.
The combined infrastructures of BioWare, LucasArts, Digital Domain, IL&M, Pixar, NASA & Interpol wouldn't have the capability to store - let alone deploy - the engine required to bring an MMO like that to life. And that's only after the hundreds of fuzzy AI node templates, their thousands of plot path permutations as well as their millions of variables were mapped out and coded.

Every NPC would have to be expendable, so having permanent storyline effects would only work if players themselves assumed NPC rulership roles and became the targets of other player's questlines. Character deaths would also have to be permanent to maintain game balance . . .

Endlessly fun to think about, but just not possible.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Yes. Just once I'd like to wise-off at a Sith Lord and have him *** pwn me and refuse to ever speak to me again.

Ever played the agent storyline in DK?

If you refuse to kneel before Darth Jadus, he kills you. As it's part of the class story and he has a vital role, he obviously can't refuse to speak to you again. But, there's your "just once".

The very fact that you're warning about spoilers in an MMO should attest to what a unique game this is. Unique never pleases everyone though, unfortunately.

I'm sorry, your sarcasm detector must be broken, it's not a spoiler because it's so bleedingly obvious it was painful.

There was absolutely no surprises for either story line.

In fact the inquisitor's story line beats you over the head with your imminent betrayal with as much subtlety as a brick to the face.

a good story is great for starters, but only great gameplay will make it last, in the end its a GAME not a book or a movie, and the GAME-play of the GAME will carry it, nothing else.

i love the stories personally, there are a lot of issues with gameplay though, expecially endgame.

immerison-wise they lost me a bit beacuse no matter how good/evil your go in your story, in the end one side will always be fighting for republic and rainbows and the other for empire and madness. a rigid faction system is boring imo, but we're here we have to deal with it, i can dig it.

Edited by Tikume

I'm sorry, your sarcasm detector must be broken, it's not a spoiler because it's so bleedingly obvious it was painful.

There was absolutely no surprises for either story line.

In fact the inquisitor's story line beats you over the head with your imminent betrayal with as much subtlety as a brick to the face.

So do most movies, books and video games these days. Writing is terrible everywhere, it's just something that we as a society have to deal with.

That, or encourage more people to be English Majors. And nobody wants that.

Ever played the agent storyline in DK?

If you refuse to kneel before Darth Jadus, he kills you. As it's part of the class story and he has a vital role, he obviously can't refuse to speak to you again. But, there's your "just once".

Well, then I guess it doesn't really affect anything does it.

Name one thing that WoW or other similar MMOs do to force people together more than this game?

WoW did this:

Put both factions quests in the same area instead of on the opposite side of the same planet. (Ex: Stranglethorn Vale, Tarren Mill)

Put instances in the same zones as the people questing around that level. (NOT the fleet)

Don't put waypoints for every quest on the map, encouraging players to ask each other for help. (Or alt tab to a third party website, but still...it did force people together.)

Edited by EternalFinality

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

Good for you. Go enjoy the story, and let other people enjoy the game how they want.

And what is wrong with playing modern warfare 3? Quit being a judgemental douchebag.

It's a terrible game made for teenagers and immature college students?

As an immature college student I find that insulting.

Nothing is wrong with an FPS as opposed to and RPG, it's a different genre that attratcs different players. I personally much rather PvP in FPS's rather than MMOs. Everyone is on a level playing field, only skill counts.

WoW did this:

Put both factions quests in the same area instead of on the opposite side of the same planet. (Ex: Stranglethorn Vale, Tarren Mill)

How did this force grouping?

Don't put waypoints for every quest on the map, encouraging players to ask each other for help. (Or alt tab to a third party website, but still...it did force people together.)

How would asking for direciton force grouping and not just more general chat?

How did this force grouping?

Defense on PvP servers. Or just general interaction with the other side. Last night a Horde player tricked a newbie friend of mine into flagging in Swamp of Sorrows and then killed her. Another player killed him in return and sat on him until my friend could retrieve her body and return to town until her flag dropped.

There's no doubt that you'll run across more players of the opposing faction leveling up in WoW then in SWTOR.

Defense on PvP servers. Or just general interaction with the other side. Last night a Horde player tricked a newbie friend of mine into flagging in Swamp of Sorrows and then killed her. Another player killed him in return and sat on him until my friend could retrieve her body and return to town until her flag dropped.

There's no doubt that you'll run across more players of the opposing faction leveling up in WoW then in SWTOR.

It did nothing on PvE servers to force grouping.

I haven't really found that, actually. I never saw any Alliance while leveling up my Druid. I see Sith all the time. And as an aside, every single time they seem to attack me, ragardless of what they're doing at the time.

Maybe I'm the exception?

A) The story is actually pretty poor. In most situations, it is either predictable, plodding, or both.

B) Probably ninety-nine percent of our choices don't matter. When a choice doesn't matter, why even bother asking the question? Such is the case with most of the choice wheel in TOR.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.