Vigilance PvP Video

JackMinn

So a few people have been interested in how I have been achieving regular 400k warzones in vigilance spec. While I cant really explain why or how I do what I do I decided I would just make a cool video to give a general impression of my playstyle.

Hope you guys enjoy it :D

Also.. I have no clue why this didnt upload in 720 since it was rendered as such, first time that happens so sorry for the lack in quality :(

Edited by JackMinn

So a few people have been interested in how I have been achieving regular 400k warzones in vigilance spec. While I cant really explain why or how I do what I do

You've got a healbot in most of your clips, it's really easy to pull 400k + with a dedicated healer.

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate seeing the Vigilance (Vengeance to me) spec being used in a PvP setting, so many sweep bomb players out there it's nice to see the change of playstyle. It's also interesting to see that you actually are pulling around 400k with a single target spec, most people believe the spec to be worthless, glad there's people out there proving them wrong.

Liked the video, definitely shows that you can play well with Vigilance, putting out enough pressure to be an asset to your team. I'd be curious to see more 1v2 or 2vx fights, but that is just my preference and that's not meant as any kind of slight towards the clips you chose. They showed the damage Vig could do and I think that is good for the community to see. Properly played, vigilance IS effective.

I've found I prefer Focus as a solo spec, but vigilance in group pvp is very nice. Constant pressure, and very strong finishers. perhaps it's just me, but my Dispatch as Focus was by no means a guaranteed kill on most targets... but as Vig it certainly is.

Edited by Ethias

I was about 2 minuites into the video when I realized SWTOR PvP requires not finesse and very little skill. I know it's hard to portray personal performance in a PvP setting that's so focused around group performance but it also shows that SWTOR skills are poorly designed.

It feels like 90% of the time all we do is DPS with there being very little room for utility and finesse (Hutball can occasionally be an exception).

No offense to the OP, but I don't think SWTOR is really at the point yet where making PvP videos has any value.

Edited by Dee-Jay

Great video!

I'm full champ gear, and I only get 100k or so. People saying it takes no skill don't know what they are talking about, Guardian is a really tough class to play, and getting 400k isn't easy.

Anyway,

PLEASE POST YOUR SKILL SPEC! (Here is mine)

Post a screenshot of your gear and stats too, I would be very interested to see!

I also went vigi two days ago, I seem to be able to lock down people much better with consitant damage than with one trick sweep bombs, but mobility is still an issue and focus gathering/costs is a lot more strict than defense/focus.

But I didn't pick the ability for focus on aoe damage and incapped, but I manage fine.

Although, focus generation in soresu is woeful and makes off-tanking a little harder, but not impossible.

I was about 2 minuites into the video when I realized SWTOR PvP requires not finesse and very little skill. I know it's hard to portray personal performance in a PvP setting that's so focused around group performance but it also shows that SWTOR skills are poorly designed.

It feels like 90% of the time all we do is DPS with there being very little room for utility and finesse (Hutball can occasionally be an exception).

No offense to the OP, but I don't think SWTOR is really at the point yet where making PvP videos has any value.

Ever tried playing a defensive guardian in PVP. Definitely takes skill. You primary purpose is to protect and interrupt enemy healers.

So a few people have been interested in how I have been achieving regular 400k warzones in vigilance spec. While I cant really explain why or how I do what I do I decided I would just make a cool video to give a general impression of my playstyle.

Hope you guys enjoy it :D

Also.. I have no clue why this didnt upload in 720 since it was rendered as such, first time that happens so sorry for the lack in quality :(

pro backpedaling...

pro backpedaling...

Dont see the relevance, im not a class that needs to kite. The backpedalling I do is to place a character infront of me if they are in a 2m radius of me because this game doesnt have collision. It is a lot faster than turning around an entire camera angle especially when you want to retain your current vision of the field.

I have been looking for a Vig. Guardian video. Thanks for that. I liked it and it's making me want to roll a new Jedi Guardian. I have a Gunslinger currently, it's fun, but there are times I wished I had a lightsaber.

hahah i did the same thing i have a GS at 42 but then i saw one videoof a guardian pvping and it looked like so much fun. so i swithced for now.

anyway great video

Had to bypass YouTube to watch the video, because you used some music that is protected in Germany - but it's pretty interesting to see you play.

All I wonder about is, how the heck can you run Alderaan with high settings? Heck, my PC can handle Battlefield 3 like a charm and both of the other Warzones + PvE in general perfectly. But on Alderaan, even on the lowest settings it stutters when 2+ persons meet and fight.

Had to bypass YouTube to watch the video, because you used some music that is protected in Germany - but it's pretty interesting to see you play.

All I wonder about is, how the heck can you run Alderaan with high settings? Heck, my PC can handle Battlefield 3 like a charm and both of the other Warzones + PvE in general perfectly. But on Alderaan, even on the lowest settings it stutters when 2+ persons meet and fight.

Ah sorry about the music.

Hmm for some reason I just dont get much lag;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgB7gEIdFQ&feature=context&context=C32c0395UDOEgsToPDskLjHpQeinl4AD4jUAl6yYpW

Thats my guild in ilum with me leaping in to 24 enemies or so and not lagging too bad, was actually quite fun.

I just applied some settings from a tweaked .ini and fixed my heavy FPS issues. In fact, it increased by 140FPS on Alderaan PvP.

The only problem I face now are hackers.

PvPing in Voidstar - On of their Juggernaughts crits me for 90k+

Left the Voidstar.

Next game: Alderaan - (I'm Level 44 by the way right now) - the enemy team got 3 Level 50's with battlemaster gear, somehow bugged themselves into our bracket to farm for Valor

Next game: Voidstar again - A Sorcerer teleports into our spawnpoint and crits us for 20k+ per tick with AoE and kills us 3 times before the game started.

I'm currently having similar experience with the vigilance spec. I'm having no trouble keeping up with the supposedly superior Focus Build. The only guardians who consistently put out more damage than me are the ones with the rakata stims and battle master gear. I don't even have my full champion set yet and I'm 5 and a half levels away from Battle Master rank.

Anyway, I love the Vigilance spec. The Vigilance tree is a lot less dependent on stacking your abilities in a particular order than the Focus spec is. With Focus you have a lot of flexibility due to the fact that the cool downs are so short and the fact that the burn abiities stack.

It's actually pretty hilarious, because of the burn effect I've gotten the killing blow medal in a couple of warzones either after dying or after my targets thinks that they have gotten away from me. It's funny stuff.

I finaly found a match without hackers (or rather a few matches) and I'm enjoying Vigilance a LOT compared to Focus.

The only problem I have so far is that people flame me for "AFK'ing" whatever that is supposed to mean - I suppose because I always got the lowest medals.

Last game (Level 44) I did 281k damage which is very impressive. Yet all my other teammates had more medals.

I cc'd a lot which, sadly, is not counted as a medal. I interrupted the crap out of people...kicked *** and saved our doors on Voidstar a LOT and even armed a few doors myself - Yet you get flamed by your team for not having enough medals. Lovely.

*sigh*

I'll have to watch this for sure when I get home. Even with healers and 0 deaths I seem to only hit ~200k damage (though I also PvP in Soresu form with my endurance/defense stim usually).

I'm also curious about your gear and spec, though I'm sure I'll have a pretty good idea once I start watching the video based on gear looks/colors and what procs when you're hit/when you use certain abilities what happens :p

Question about vigilance skill, which I'll ask here rather than new thread.

How useful do you find the plasma brand?

I'm torn between going full vig and picking it up so I have a nice long dot for defending caps, and going deeper into defence to get Warding Call which as a defence guardian I love.

Do you use plasma brand a lot? Do you find yourself lacking in defensive cooldowns when targetted by multiple enemies?

Also, do you need to be geared up to do well with Vig spec? I'm still only about 14.4k health using 4 pieces of champ gear.

Edited by shon_tsu

I use plasma brand a lot, to prevent players from stealthing and to proc victory rush. It also crits for anywhere between 2k-3.5k for me on the initial hit thus I find it quite nice.

As far as defense and survivability goes, a lot of it is down to good play. I dont have the cooldowns to just stand in it all and tank it but I have leaps. Now smart use of leaps is truly the difference between good players and bad ones. Say I find myself getting hit by 4 ppl with no cool downs, I will ally leap our, all of their melee will charge me but their casters will stand still. I break line of sight and wait, once all their melee reach me I stagger them open line of sight and leap to their casters. Now their melee have to run to me again while I am bursting their cast. They finally reach me and then I knock one of their casters away, this resets force leap. I leap to the force pushed caster and at this point I am probably able to kill then. While I kill the caster their melee are again running to me, at this point I have guardian leap back and I just snare them and leap to an ally. In this situation I just killed someone while being focused by 4 players and survived assuming I had an ally to leap to. These smaller micro things are not really noticed by the enemy or when watching videos etc but really they define the difference between top notch and average.

As for good gear. I think vigilance is one of those specs that scales better with gear. Most white damage specs such as vigilance depend highly on gear because their damage multipliers are boosted by power quite a bit. But it is a lot more crucial to know who you are hitting and not beat on tanks. You will notice that in the video that when I am ops leader I just mark their healers and dispose of them on sight which wins us most of our fights.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.