4h. downtime... a SATURDAY???

zandadoum

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss maintenance times.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things in mind when responding:

• Stay on Target - Please keep discussion on topic.
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

Thank you and enjoy the discussion!

BioWare, colour me Shocked, Awed and fully Disgusted. Having a Server Maintenance during the day on a weekend. If it wasn't bad enough that we Europeans have to put up with the Weekly Maintenance being during the day. Now you are doing it at the Weekend where the vast majority of you European customers will be enjoying some free time away from work/education. Are you actively trying to lose customers? To top it all off there will be “Another” Maintenance 3 days later for 8 hours? During the day again no less.

Are you kidding me? You want people to pay for this abysmal service?

I understand that the games needs updating and fixing but doing it during the day is just bad customer service towards your EU player base once again. Why not do it during the night? Why not have separate maintenance times for US and EU? Or failing that, why not punish the US for a change, instead of it always being the EU! (Sorry Americans, Skip forward a couple of paragraphs if that annoyed you).

If you compare the drop in server population (at peak time) between US and EU you'll see a lot less “Heavy” and “Very Heavy” populated servers in the EU (at peak time) compared to when this game first came out. With service like this is there any wonder why? If I feel this way. I'm sure others do.

I'm just glad I cancelled my account. I do enjoy this game and wish to play it more but I will not stand for being a 2nd class customer while paying the same as our (favoured) US brothers.

And Americans. Before you post your “Good riddance” comments. Ask yourself honestly. If it was the other way around. If you where paying for a game that wasn't playable during the day, while the rest of the world got to wake up in the morning in their time zones and log straight in and enjoy the game we all love to play. Could you honestly say you wouldn't be annoyed. You wouldn't come here and post your frustration. You wouldn't ask for US/EU Server Maintenance to be separated so they where both during the night? And if it was the other way around. That this forum wouldn't explode with the amount of US customers expressing their dissatisfaction at the service they are receiving?

After Dragon Age 2 and now SWTOR. My faith in BioWare has been shaken. Lets all hope Mass Effect 3 can redeem them.

P.S. BioWare: don't think people haven't notice how you conveniently disable our ability to post just before Maintenance commences. Preventing us from expressing ourselves and how we feel about your service and there by influencing other customers. Your tactics are cheap and underhanded. I hope more people are willing to express how they feel until you get what you deserve: A beta testing sized player base (and lets face it, this game is still in beta) that you then have to rebuild back up to retail standard through good customer service and support.

P.P.S. "People work during the day" isn't a justifying comment either. I'd bet good money there are more people playing during a week day than during the dead of night (think students and part-time job workers).

Edited by Mcclaine

I'll stop playing shortly if this company does not stop the frequency of down times. Get it right and do it during your regular maintenance window please. It is hard for my friends to get on the same time and we were just about to do Athis, totally destroyed something we were all going to really enjoy.

It;s your game but we decide if we want to play it, i have been pretty supportive of it but this down time is stupid!

First of all I'd like to point out, that it's me paying you not the other way around. Therefore my feedback can be as much as "this system sucks. Fix it". Negative feedback of this sort is all a company can expect. I don't have to tell you how to fix your game. It's your job to fix it then and come up with ideas, that actually make sense. Which you so far often fail to do.

Second of all you really need to tone down your expectations. From day one you disregard any constructive feedback whatsoever, literally [self-censored] your customers in the face. The rage, insults and rude behaviour is the effect of your doings, so deal with it. Dealing with it by deleting posts and closing threads will only hurt you, as people need to vent their rage somewhere. They'll either unsubscribe or start venting on other forums, which are read not only by your current customers, but also the potential ones. That's how black PR works.

Third of all there is no constructive feedback to give in the subject of the maintenance system. It's obviously and carefully planned to cater your american customers disregarding Europe entirely. Server statistics show, that EU servers are a couple times busier during maintenance hours than the american ones. You could at least have the balls to admit it instead of feeding us with your worthless [self-censored] about "performing maintenance in off-peak hours". There's nothing worse than lying to your customers in the dumbest possible way and expecting them to believe it. We feel like you think we're [self-censored]. We are not. Therefore stop pissing us off with your pathetic lies and admit, that you don't give a flying [self-censored] about your european customers, which are basically half of your playerbase (based on server stat graphs). We'd have a clear view then, unsubscribe and watch your pathetic game crumble to dust while playing something we can actually play whenver we want.

Fourth of all today's maintenance was a bad joke. There are no critical updates in your patchnotes, I can see no fixes like "fixed an exploit, which allowed the attacking side to leave their spawn area before the game begins" or "fixed an exploit, which allowed players to run with the speed of light carrying the ball in huttball games". All I see are quest fixes and some class balancing changes. This could have been done any other day, but you had to pick saturday, which is, for a lot of us, the main part of the week we can play the game.

Last but not least you will not tell me how to give you feedback and I'd strongly advise you (trying to be constructive here) not to control the community on your forums like that, because that will only cause people to create unofficial forums, where they can flame you any time they feel like they need to do it. Accept the fact, that forum is a place you can actually check how the playerbase feels. In case you can't see it alread I'm going to give you a clear message: We're pissed off.

Shame I bought 60 days in advance.

Regards,

Kalantris

Post worth repeating from old thread

I'm confused as to who's prime-time game play this affected.

It wasn't in prime time for the US, not for the EU... maybe for Oceana give or take, but they aren't an official region yet so BioWare may not be considering that.

Why wouldn't you want as many patches are you can to make the game better?

At just 50 cents per day, it works out to just over 2 cents an hour. Meaning this morning's down time cost you 10 cents. It really should be a non-issue in every way!

id rather they do maitenance and fix stuff rather then let broken stuff slide. Stop QQ and let them do their JOBS!!!

nobody is saying they should not fix stuff.

EU players just say we want it to be at hours where *most* of us are sleeping. same treatment US players are getting. not more, not less.

and certainly NOT on weekends, at ANY hour at all.

but i guess, that this little concern of ours, escaped your attention through last 105 pages, hum?

Edited by zandadoum

What was so important that it couldn't wait until the already scheduled 8 HOUR maintenance?

I am gonna guess the you weren't one of the players that kept getting kicked to the character screen for no reason multiple times a day, making the game unplayable.

I bet if you were affected by it, the fix came none too early.

What was so important that it couldn't wait until the already scheduled 8 HOUR maintenance?

Unless there was something they didn't write in the patch notes there is no reason what so ever for today's maintenance.

So i have to conclude that BW are either incompentent at customer care (not telling us whatever they fixed) or they are simply complete morons.

Unless there was something they didn't write in the patch notes there is no reason what so ever for today's maintenance.

So i have to conclude that BW are either incompentent at customer care (not telling us whatever they fixed) or they are simply complete morons.

Like I said the the guy above, if you were the one getting kicked from the game all the time for no reason your attitude would be different.

It wasn't in prime time for the US, not for the EU... maybe for Oceana give or take, but they aren't an official region yet so BioWare may not be considering that.

At just 50 cents per day, it works out to just over 2 cents an hour. Meaning this morning's down time cost you 10 cents. It really should be a non-issue in every way!

Considering that servers came back up around 16pm ... 17pm for me, I'd say it was pretty much in the middle of the time I would use for playing on saturday. Basically the whole afternoon. And as far as I know I still live in Europe too... yep still living here.

I would seriously consider checking your facts and consodering what you have typed before hitting 'Submit Reply'.

Edited by C-Bee

I am gonna guess the you weren't one of the players that kept getting kicked to the character screen for no reason multiple times a day, making the game unplayable.

There are a LOT of game breaking bugs for people, if they did emergency downtime for all of them the servers would never be online. And yes ive had that bug quite a few times myself.

Not really, you're making an error here. I, like many people, can not play during the weeks. Those hours are thus lost. In effect, that leaves Saturday and Sunday for me to play at. That's what I pay $17 (on the ground of the exchange rate, we pay more than you Americans) for. You're counting all the possible time that could have been used, while you should use the time 'one would have played'.

Like I said the the guy above, if you were the one getting kicked from the game all the time for no reason your attitude would be different.

Then why wait until US primetime is over istead of bringing them down immediately? After all, if it was that crucial, they would have done it immediately, instead of having people getting DCed during primetime, right?

Five hours for a single fix?

Sounds like incompetence to me.

Honestly everyone, you are all acting like this is some new and shocking thing. Every MMO I have played, Asheron's Call, Star Wars Galaxies, WoW, LotR, etc., have all done there maintenance at the same times. Saturday is not all that much of a shocker either, plus this is their first MMO and they have a lot of bugs to work out, so cut them some slack, seriously. Has anyone stopped to wonder maybe the reason they do their maintenance and patching at the times they do is because that's when their business hours are? Maybe their programmers are in China, Japan or India, it's not that far a stretch to imagine. I can understand being mad that they take down the servers when people want to play, but if it makes you mad to the point of canceling your account, then good luck playing an MMO. I'm not going to say is doesn't annoy me when they bring down the servers when I'm playing, but I honestly I go do something else, it's an amazing concept I know.

So for the GMT +2/+3/+4 people playing legitimately in Europe, having the servers down from 10/11/12 until 3/4/5pm isnt prime time how exactly?

Because this patch didnt actually PATCH anything and didnt make the game better for 99.99% of players.

Which is an utterlty ridiculous thing to say. People cannot possibly play for 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, they pay to get access for a precious few hours a week, for a lot of people those 5 hours were in fact 1/8th of their entire months play time.

Then why wait until US primetime is over istead of bringing them down immediately? After all, if it was that crucial, they would have done it immediately, instead of having people getting DCed during primetime, right?

This... there was no rush with deploying it untill AFTER U.S. peak time was over. If it was really an emergency, then they would have taken servers down as soon as they had the fix (when the announcement was made).

Quoted for being spot on.

No one is saying do not patch it or fix it..

Serverside patch was applied (I believe/ if it wasn't then they did nothing)

They could of applied this to the EU server farm 1 or 2 hours after the announcement was made and then applied it 8 hours after the announcement was made to the US server farm. Servers fixed during off-peak hours.

Instead they wait 8 hours and apply it to EU and US at same time shutting down EU servers during prime time.