Trooper animations needs spicing up!?

Chinny

IMO, Trooper's animations compared to the Bounty Hunter's just looks really under-par. A perfect example of this would be, Rocket punch and Stock strike. Rocket punch looks 10x better. What do you guys think, do you agree with me or do you think the animations looks fine?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think rocket punch looks kind of doofy. The Stockstrike for blaster rifle looks fairly awesome, but the assault cannon leaves something to be desired. Would rather we delivered a front kick or something than slapping them with the cannon.

Our animations are incognito for PvP, I'd rather they not be changed so that it's immediately obvious what ability we're using. if you listen, you can tell the difference but at a glance we're just doing the same thing which is advantagous.

Edited by Parali
avoiding language filter

Well maybe if they changed the animations gradualy over a number of patches, rather than throwing 4 or 5 different changes at us in one patch. Also even our main ability "Grav Round" looks pretty poor IMO, I'm not the biggest fan of the BH's equivilant, (I forget what it's called) but it just seems to look like a very thin beam which looks extremely lack luster and weak. Maybe they could improve this by making the beam a lot thicker and when it impacts onto the target it could make a deep thud sound. Idk, I'm just throwing ideas out there. I'll put in a list of what I think could, and should be changed below, and hopefully will be in the future.

- Stock strike.

- Grav Round.

- Mortar Volley.

- The healing ability that every class has and can only be used outside of combat. Sorry I forgot what it's called. :)

- Trooper equivilant of Rail Shot.

Sorry for not knowing what some of the abilities are called. I have only recently created my Trooper.

I should of gone more in depth on the original post, so I do apologize for that.

HIB is awful sounding, the animation isn't too bad.

Regen/Reload is okay, you poke at your gun, putting in some cheat codes for ammo and health.

Mortar Volley and Full Auto are just straight up broken and need to be fixed.

Grav Rounds is fine, personally. Looks like the others, has a nice thud when it hits but the charge up sound is kind of irritating.

You left out one of the most glaring differences: Storm vs Jet Charge.

Storm's animation has a running component followed by a leap. It's a relatively long sequence. When you leap from minimum range, THE GAME ENGINE SLOWS DOWN THE ABILITY TO COMPLETE THE ANIMATION. You basically leap in slow motion and can actually cover the same distance had you simply ran to the target.

You left out one of the most glaring differences: Storm vs Jet Charge.

Storm's animation has a running component followed by a leap. It's a relatively long sequence. When you leap from minimum range, THE GAME ENGINE SLOWS DOWN THE ABILITY TO COMPLETE THE ANIMATION. You basically leap in slow motion and can actually cover the same distance had you simply ran to the target.

I didn't actually know about that. This thread is simply about how Bioware could spice up the animations, not about how they could improve the mechanics or bugs. But If I am to comparing in how "cool" they look, so to speak, then I most definitely think Jet Charge looks significantly cooler. :)

Healing Hammer Shot (the green beam)

Full auto while using a rifle, would rather the gun went to your shoulder than you holding the rifle between your legs.

Yeah, that would be pretty cool.

I feel as if BioWare didn't get very creative when it came to the Trooper. In past games, e.g. Battlefront, Republic Commando, in these games that you played as a Trooper, you could use numerous amount of weapons such as, rocket launchers, snipers and correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't there a Jet pack Trooper also? A Trooper isn't just simply the infantry who use assault rifles that are on the front line, they are much more than that in the games, and in the movies. I feel as if BioWare could of done so much more with the Trooper, this saddens me. :(

Yeah, that would be pretty cool.

I feel as if BioWare didn't get very creative when it came to the Trooper. In past games, e.g. Battlefront, Republic Commando, in these games that you played as a Trooper, you could use numerous amount of weapons such as, rocket launchers, snipers and correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't there a Jet pack Trooper also? A Trooper isn't just simply the infantry who use assault rifles that are on the front line, they are much more than that in the games, and in the movies. I feel as if BioWare could of done so much more with the Trooper, this saddens me. :(

This is my exact feeling when I'm playing my Trooper: not so unique, not as much 'flavour' as it's Imperial counterpart, the Bounty Hunter.

It makes me think BioWare designed all the Imperial classes first and afterwards copied them over to Republic versions. There's not as much thought put into making Republic characters and abilities as COOL as some of their Imperial doubles. I think it for some part explains the faction imbalance.

A lot of the Trooper abilities lack a certain 'oomph' and impact. And the class lacks a signature move that really makes you want to be/play one. When I first saw a Bounty Hunter burst into the air literally rain Death from Above, I knew I wanted to be one. When I first used my Mortar Valley is was sooo disappointed. It felt like 'blurp... blurp... blurp... poof... poof... poof'. Rail Shot? A laser that fires from an arm-mounted gadget? Did you hear the sounds it makes? It's hella awesome! You feel powerful because of the sound and the fricking laser you just shot.

Trooper get's another 'blurp' sound and a blue ray thingy off the target on impact. Why not change this to a small rocket-grenade? A little explosive ball that the Trooper throws in the air and fly's with a high velocity onto it's target? Sooo much can be done to make this class that much cooler.

I think if BioWare changes the Republic's abilities to ooze more cool (not just Trooper's), the faction imbalance will straighten itself out.

This is my exact feeling when I'm playing my Trooper: not so unique, not as much 'flavour' as it's Imperial counterpart, the Bounty Hunter.

It makes me think BioWare designed all the Imperial classes first and afterwards copied them over to Republic versions. There's not as much thought put into making Republic characters and abilities as COOL as some of their Imperial doubles. I think it for some part explains the faction imbalance.

A lot of the Trooper abilities lack a certain 'oomph' and impact. And the class lacks a signature move that really makes you want to be/play one. When I first saw a Bounty Hunter burst into the air literally rain Death from Above, I knew I wanted to be one. When I first used my Mortar Valley is was sooo disappointed. It felt like 'blurp... blurp... blurp... poof... poof... poof'. Rail Shot? A laser that fires from an arm-mounted gadget? Did you hear the sounds it makes? It's hella awesome! You feel powerful because of the sound and the fricking laser you just shot.

Trooper get's another 'blurp' sound and a blue ray thingy off the target on impact. Why not change this to a small rocket-grenade? A little explosive ball that the Trooper throws in the air and fly's with a high velocity onto it's target? Sooo much can be done to make this class that much cooler.

I think if BioWare changes the Republic's abilities to ooze more cool (not just Trooper's), the faction imbalance will straighten itself out.

Exactly! BioWare needs to see this post! :)

Personally I like most of the trooper animations more.

Mortar volley. I give you this. Its a underwhelming.

Grav round. I love this animation. And its 10 times better then tracer missile.

Hi impact bolt. I like it. A nice solid energy bolt. Rail shot on the other hand use the same animation as 5 other bounty hunter attacks. And it's a ranged attack. It should be shot from the bounty hunter gun like all of the other ranged attacks.

Pulse cannon. It be awesome. So much better then the weak looking flamethrower.

Stockstrike. I like both it and rocket punch. I think the simple, but solid stockstrike suits the trooper well.

Special mention Unload. I hate the merc's unload animation with a passion.

I think they should make stockstrike an animation where the trooper take the blaster rifles barrel and then swing it like a club towards the targets head...

That or give us a bayonet on our rifles!

And replace riot strike with a headbutt >_>

Tbh i would preffer a kick instead the stockstrike, like if u were a swat officer and u r kicking a door down, just imagine that kick in the chest of an Imp! :p

Full auto for vanguards like someone stated also, rifle should b grabbed in a higher position.

And at last Mortar Volley... definetly they should change the animation of it...

Personally I like most of the trooper animations more.

Mortar volley. I give you this. Its a underwhelming.

Hi impact bolt. I like it. A nice solid energy bolt. Rail shot on the other hand use the same animation as 5 other bounty hunter attacks. And it's a ranged attack. It should be shot from the bounty hunter gun like all of the other ranged attacks.

Pulse cannon. It be awesome. So much better then the weak looking flamethrower.

Stockstrike. I like both it and rocket punch. I think the simple, but solid stockstrike suits the trooper well.

Special mention Unload. I hate the merc's unload animation with a passion.

mortar volley needs to shoot more shells, like the BH counterpart, and faster, that would make it look more deadly

grav round... eh... it's OK only because the noise isnt as annoying as the tracer missile, but it looks weak... you shoot a little blue whisp that kind of lags halfway to the target, then completes is journey... i mean, its a friggen round from an assault riffle, it should barely be seen, let alone lag along the way like a poorly made paper airplane

i do like pulse cannon, but i'd like it to be a little more visible (you can barely make out where it hits and where it doesnt.

and stockstrike is awesome for the rifle, not for the cannon, the cannon doesnt even look like it would hurt, at all, it does need to be some sort of melee action, like a shoulder to the face would be nice.

unload looks amazing. nothin says bring it on like a cartridge bouncing on the floor

Edited by Rhavim

mortar volley needs to shoot more shells, like the BH counterpart, and faster, that would make it look more deadly

grav round... eh... it's OK only because the noise isnt as annoying as the tracer missile, but it looks weak... you shoot a little blue whisp that kind of lags halfway to the target, then completes is journey... i mean, its a friggen round from an assault riffle, it should barely be seen, let alone lag along the way like a poorly made paper airplane

i do like pulse cannon, but i'd like it to be a little more visible (you can barely make out where it hits and where it doesnt.

and stockstrike is awesome for the rifle, not for the cannon, the cannon doesnt even look like it would hurt, at all, it does need to be some sort of melee action, like a shoulder to the face would be nice.

unload looks ******. nothin says bring it on like a cartridge bouncing on the floor

Grav round final animation with the vortex is what's really great about it.

Not recharge and reload. unload the bh version of full auto. The way they cross the guns looks awful.

Edited by SirHaggis

Grav round final animation with the vortex is what's really great about it.

Not recharge and reload. unload the bh version of full auto. The way they cross the guns looks awful.

right, confused myself. i was talking about the regeneration thingie

I think they should make stockstrike an animation where the trooper take the blaster rifles barrel and then swing it like a club towards the targets head...

That or give us a bayonet on our rifles!

And replace riot strike with a headbutt >_>

Both of your ideas for the stock strike change sound awesome. Personally I was thinking more of a shoulder bash.

And at last Mortar Volley... definetly they should change the animation of it...

Idd. I was thinking you could pull two rocket launchers out, place them both shoulders and start firing them rapidly.

Edited by Chinny

Looking back on the Grav Round now, I would go as far as to say it looks decent. I think if the animation where to have a thicker beam and maybe some sort of swirling vortex going around the beam, it would look awesome. Also I'm not the biggest fan of the tracer missiles tbh, I think it looks stupid how you have to bend over to shoot it, although I do like the exploding impact animation. I think there should be a similar animation when Grav Round impacts on your target.

Stockstrike is fantastic. If you have never, in real life, smashed the butt of a rifle down on someone's head/chest, you will never understand the satisfaction of using Stockstrike.

However, I don't understand how HiB doesn't use the Concussive Round animation from Mass Effect 2. The little fireball and the explosive sound it makes upon impact is what you'd expect from a skill called High Impact Bolt, not the mild shart sound we currently have.

I'm fine with Mortar Volley's animation, but I don't know how I got mortar shells to fit inside my blaster rifle.

And to repeat someone's suggestion, Ion Pulse should instead be a shotgun like effect. Just a mess of blaster bolts and lasers flying in the general direction of the bad guy. I don't understand how I can get my blaster rifle to produce lightning.

All in all, I'm fine with the trooper's animations being understated and simple. It fits the concept of being a soldier and using one weapon (and assorted grenades) to do your job. I just want them to be consistent with it.