Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

taugrimtaugrim

well ur cylinders shouldnt be in your bindings neither would your quick travel and recharge and reload....things that arent attacks are what I move...I count quell and sonic missile as attacks the attacks and oil slick all fit in the 24 bottom quickslots

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I struggle with keybinds. Once I have 20 or so i start to struggle. I was wondering if there are any abilities you feel i could "do away with" abilities that are rarely used.

I've found that i rarely use "missile Blast" or "flame Burst" they seem to do small damage for the heat they generate.

What tips can you give me? what abilities do you rarely use?

Did you read my Guide to Strafing and Keybinding?

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

If not, read it first, then let me know what questions you have.

If you have already read it, I'll share my thoughts.

Added the following to the OP per my blog:

UPDATE (2012/01/29): to clarify why mitigation matters and how it stacks, consider the following:

Talents such as Power Armor are not affected by diminishing returns, and mitigation becomes more valuable the more you have.

Without points in the two 2% mitigation talents, my mitigation against Energy and Kinetic attacks is 45.5% from Armor and the tanking stance, so I suffer 54.5 points of damage out of every 100.

With Iron Fist, the mitigation increases to 49.5%, so I suffer 50.5 points of damage out of every 100.

Which means that a non-IF tank spec is going to take 7.9% (4 / 50.5) more damage than an IF build. The difference is significant and very noticeable in PVP.

By the same token, the damage that a non-IF spec takes from Elemental and Internal damage compared to an IF spec is > 4%.

I.e. non-IF in tank stance has 5% mitigation against those damage types, and IF has 9%. So 95 damage taken vs 91 damage taken, or an increase of 4.4%.

When you factor in the +10% mitigation buff from Sages/Sorcs (I think it’s theirs), the gap between non-IF and IF tank specs widens to 4.9% (4 / 81).

And the above percentages again increase when you factor in the 4% damage debuff we apply to opponents.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Did you read my Guide to Strafing and Keybinding?

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

If not, read it first, then let me know what questions you have.

If you have already read it, I'll share my thoughts.

I meant flame sweep as being useless.

I've read your guide to keybinding, but its not for me. I'm far too old and set in my ways to radically change. I can manage 20 keybinds.

My question to you was are there abilities that you feel I could do without? I feel missile blast is poor for its heat cost and flame sweep is also poor for the same reason.

Obviously i dont have clyinders bound, or my buff. things like that can stay on the side bar.

I meant flame sweep as being useless.

Pretty much.

I use FS a lot in PVE tanking for the debuff, but for PVP the damage and heat cost don't make a lot of sense, even with the Crit and Surge talents in this spec.

I've read your guide to keybinding, but its not for me. I'm far too old and set in my ways to radically change. I can manage 20 keybinds.

I'm no spring chicken either, and I've been transitioning to more and more keybinds over the past 2 years.

It's really helped to improve my gameplay.

My question to you was are there abilities that you feel I could do without? I feel missile blast is poor for its heat cost and flame sweep is also poor for the same reason.

MB is useful for the ability to prevent caps from range, so you should have it bound, even if it's use is situational.

In SWTOR, you have to bind more than 20 abilities, there are just so many useful ones.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Thanks for your help.

I really struggle to use Shift or alt to open up more keybinds it really hinders my movement.

Maybe ill have to persist with it and simply try to improve.coming from rift where really you could easily use 10-15 keybinds with all the macros to this is challenging

I really struggle to use Shift or alt to open up more keybinds it really hinders my movement.

Maybe ill have to persist with it and simply try to improve.coming from rift where really you could easily use 10-15 keybinds with all the macros to this is challenging

With a good keybinding setup the majority of your abilities should be activated by a single keypress, no modifier.

I think when i roll an alt i'll commit to trying your keybind set up.

I'd also add that my little finger and my wedding finger are pretty weak, when i say weak, i've just never really used them so struglle with them on binds. its what i got the new logitech mouse as it has lots of buttons which helps me

I think when i roll an alt i'll commit to trying your keybind set up.

I'd also add that my little finger and my wedding finger are pretty weak, when i say weak, i've just never really used them so struglle with them on binds. its what i got the new logitech mouse as it has lots of buttons which helps me

I strongly recommend putting your most frequently used abilities where you can activate them with your middle or index finger to minimize fatigue. E.g. 3/4, E/R, D/F, C/V.

I put abilities on longer cooldowns on my pinky finger. E.g. Explosive Dart, Stockstrike, charge, etc.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Keybinds are really, really, personal. Take a look at what other people use for some inspiration, but if I have rachmaninoff hands and you don't, my shift-y or shift-6 might seem crazy to you.

My keybinds are 1-6FGRTCV. Then I have a row of Shift and a row of CTRL. Gives me 30 keys to play with, but most of the CTRL is left empty. I have QE/shifts and B/shift (use I for inventory). I got two side mouse buttons (most mouses do, no crazy super gamer mouse) and use shift/CTRL for those two. It felt weird once upon a time but i've been using pretty much the same scheme for years now (that's weird to say). Over time you'll find you like certain abilities in certain spots, regardless of game/character (interupt is always a side mouse for me, CC break is shift side mouse, hard hitting instants are 4 and F, R is charge, etc.

You'll find your own zone but really that's all there is to it.

Edited by Umpire

gonna bump this since it's a fantastic build... really deserves a sticky.

FWIW, it's just 1 build, and it won't suit everyone's preferred playstyle.

The Community Managers already stickied my Guide thread, which is the thread that I think would provide the value to the most players, given that it covers the mechanics of the AC and various viable specs.

But thanks for the support :)

FWIW, it's just 1 build, and it won't suit everyone's preferred playstyle.

The Community Managers already stickied my Guide thread, which is the thread that I think would provide the value to the most players, given that it covers the mechanics of the AC and various viable specs.

But thanks for the support :)

well yeah, I know this believe you me. Some of my gamer friends are die-hard believers of this spec, others go Carolina Parakeet etc etc...

However, my results using this spec have been through the roof. Consistent and high damage plus a gap closer and reasonable defense make this spec seem like a very good way to go.

What I was really getting at was if, for example, somebody created a post that linked all of the PT builds that have been successful (i.e: Carolina Parakeet, Iron Fist, etc. etc.) and it got stickied, I'd wanna see this spec somewhere in that post.

I have one quick question...

Why do you skip out on Rebraced Armor's 16% boost in favor of shield tick and oil slick? The latter 2 seem incredibly pve oriented as most people in pvp bypass shields with tech/force attacks that are also completely unaffected by oil slick. The ones that are usually have fall backs (or in the case of merc can dispel it). It seems like having a permanent 16% armor would be more beneficial overall for survivability?

I've noticed that many, many builds have skipped out on getting Jet Charge. Is there any particular reason for this?

There is an opportunity cost for putting 21 points in the tank tree. Spec'ing is all about tradeoffs.

That being said, if you see a "PVP" spec with 21+ points in the tank tree that does not take the charge ability, simply ignore it. Any player who has a basic understanding of PVP mechanics understands that gap closers with a root + interrupt are excellent in PVP.

There is an opportunity cost for putting 21 points in the tank tree. Spec'ing is all about tradeoffs.

That being said, if you see a "PVP" spec with 21+ points in the tank tree that does not take the charge ability, simply ignore it. Any player who has a basic understanding of PVP mechanics understands that gap closers with a root + interrupt are excellent in PVP.

Ah dang, I made a huge typo. I meant the Jet Speed talent, which increases your movespeed after using Jet Charge. My bad >_>

Ah dang, I made a huge typo. I meant the Jet Speed talent, which increases your movespeed after using Jet Charge. My bad >_>

It's a situational talent, e.g. when carrying the flag in Huttball or to use when charging to an enemy overextender as a means to escape when you have overextended yourself as well.

That being said, the reason I passed on Jet Speed is I usually charge to an opponent to smack them around or a nearby enemy, not to run passed them.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

This isn't a PVE spec. There are a lot of talent points spent for abilities that aren't that that relevant in PVE.

It's probably fine for group play but any hard-mode or ops content you'll make life easier for your healers by spec'ing into the Shield talents that this spec largely intentionally skips.

EDIT (2012/01/29): FWIW, I tanked my first SWTOR instance tonight, Hard-Mode Directive 7, and the spec held up fine even with only 3 pieces of "tanking" gear from PVP: Champion legs and weapon and Centurion shield offhand.

I have tanked in Star Wars RPG SAGA Edition, Dungeons & Dragons and Neverwinter Nights on A Land Far Away (Daggerford Server) and was wondering is Iron Fist a good build mostly new to MMO's to tank with for both PvE & PvP? I want to be a Bounty Hunter for sure though. I realise you said Merc is better for a newbie to MMO's but if I do go Powertech what build do you advise?

Thanks

Edited by Talon_Starfire

Hey Taugrim,

I wanted to thank you for the quality of your info out there. Your site, your posts, your guides. It really help me. I watch/listen your twitch during work time when I'm allowed. Great work over there.

I tried Iron Fist and failed misserably, but not your fault for sure, I think close melee is really hard on me and not my play style. I really have a hard time straffing. Still when I get more control over my powertech I'll try it again in a few months. I switch between Pyrotech and Parakeet for now.

The other day I found it funny when you didn't realised you had the ball in huttball and the guy pulled you out of the fight where 4 guys were beating on you and you said: "He's pealing me off the healer" and you charged right back. Then you said something in the line : "If you have the ball and you get focus drop the ball". It was funny, you showed what happen by doing the mistake yourself, unintentionally.

Oh I'm not beating on you, you are way better than I am and didn't want to point flaws, just wanted to share that it made me laugh. Sometimes we think people are stupid and like to think they are. But they might just lag or droped a skill from a bar or simply streaming / chatting / concentrated to realise they have the ball. :p

Keep up the great work and I'm sorry for my poor english.

Hey Taugrim,

I tried Iron Fist and failed misserably, but not your fault for sure, I think close melee is really hard on me and not my play style. I really have a hard time straffing.

A bit off topic, but I found years ago that it helped to move with ESDF instead of WASD setting S and F as strafe Left, and strafe Right respectively. E being forward and D being backwards. This forces you to turn direction with the mouse and to strafe with the keyboard.

related, Iron Fist is pretty excellent once you get both damage reductions and begins to shine once you get the two points into rocket punch bonus damage and the knife (name elludes me at work.)