The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Space bar was a mistake.

BCBull

SWTOR, a story driven mmo. Why would there be such a quick easy way to skip the story?!

I'm just getting into the PvE scene, and every flash point group I enter I see things like, SPACEBAWABA, SPACEBAR!!!!, HIT THE SPACE.

So much time was put into the story, and it can be argued that the story is what sets SWTOR apart from all mmorpgs. The game was built around the "4th pillar" (story) of gaming. The change of pace was so refreshing the first week. I was able to slow down and really enjoy the immersion.

Space bar should be disabled in flash points for the sake of all players that come in the future. Let them experience the truly epic immersion I had my first couple weeks.

Edited by BCBull

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR, a story driven mmo. Why would there be such a quick easy way to skip the story?!

I'm just getting into the PvE scene, and every flash point group I enter I see things like, SPACEBAWABA, SPACEBAR!!!!, HIT THE SPACE.

So much time was put into the story, and it can be argued that the story is what sets SWTOR apart from all mmorpgs. The game was built around the "4th pillar" (story) of gaming. The change of pace was so refreshing the first week. I was able to slow down and really enjoy the immersion.

Space bar should be disabled in flash points for the sake of all players that come in the future. Let them experience the truly epic immersion I had my first couple weeks.

I know someone who just subscribed and is already bored with the game because all he does is spacebar throughout the game .

In a game that is going to force people to reroll in order to have something to do people should absolutely be able to skip over seeing the same cutscenes over and over.

This gogogo additude was introduced in WoW LFG patch. It needs to stop.

Because no one wants to pay a monthly fee for a story. Everyone wants to get to end game so they can get geared up and run hardmodes and pvp. No matter how bad bw wants the game to be an mmo focused on story the consumer will always want the rewarding aspects of an mmo. Tbh if your playing an mmo for the story and it's not f2p than why not just go buy an rpg. The stories of most of the classes really fall off after chapter 1 anyway.

Because no one wants to pay a monthly fee for a story. Everyone wants to get to end game so they can get geared up and run hardmodes and pvp. No matter how bad bw wants the game to be an mmo focused on story the consumer will always want the rewarding aspects of an mmo. Tbh if your playing an mmo for the story and it's not f2p than why not just go buy an rpg. The stories of most of the classes really fall off after chapter 1 anyway.

If there was never a space bar...

Not really, what's the mistake is not providing a way for players to directly skip to the dialog choices without being obliged to hit, multiple times, the space bar.

And create a decent LFG system that allows you to advertise for LFM/LFG with players notes, allowing you to write things like: first time only, or slow paced, or RP, or XP/gear grind.

Edited by Deewe

I enjoy watching all the cutscenes personally, but considering their length I don't think its a bad idea to be able to skip them. Some people don't want to see the same story over and over, they just want to kill the same things over and over. :p

Anyway, its a matter of choice, and you need to find people like yourself who enjoy watching the cutscenes during flashpoints and let the people who are only interested in grinding the instance as quickly as possible do so with like-minded people.

As time goes on and you get to daily/repeatable quests, I think you'll be glad you have the option to spacebar. ;)

Just dont listen to theese ******

And if you run it again, with people who have run it again, and just want to get through it to farm for gear, you're just out of luck?

Can you please at least TRY to think before you hit that "new post" button? The very worst thing you can do with ANY PRODUCT is deliberately cripple the ability of people to use it how they wish.

I've played many MMOs during my gaming time and WoW was the first game where I really felt this gogogo attitude so I don't think that he is too off the mark.

Spacebar should still be an option for people wanting to skip dialogue. I've had a few alts where certain portions of the dialogue didn't interest me and I spacebared through them. I have the subtitles turned on though and always read them to just refresh my memory with the quest. Going into flashpoints is a different story. I've soloed quested quite a bit and have done some of the 2 person and 4 person heroics with my playing partner. Remember that many folks may be in the flashpoint for the first time so having someone yell to hurry up and spacebar through the story isn't cutting it. If one is in a hurry, then set up your own group and advertize that you are spacebaring through all dialogue. That way, you can set the pace.

Edited by Averran
comment on deleted post

Just say it's your first time running the instance / quest / whatever.

Most people are cool with that.

Now... If you want to watch every cutscene every time I won't want to play with you, and I imagine I'm not alone in that. It's good content but seeing the same content over and over and over again gets old.

I assure you, on secondary playthroughs of single player RPGs, I am spamming through the text if I've already read it all...

Edited by JayDubyaDub