What good PvP games have item progression.

CrunchyGremlin

Its clear that the PvP is being treated like an RPG which it is not in its classic sense. There is no boss mob. There is no end game. there is no mid game. there is no beginning where the combat environment is equal to the player. There is no loot. Its just PvP with possible objectives. Its really not much different than CS or any other FPS its just bigger and persistent.

Are there games, any games, that have are successful PvP with lasting item progression. Some games like counterstrike have item progression and regression which is not the same as pure item progression.

Okay, name some "highly subjective good games" then without it.

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head are MMOFPS', and even some of them have gear & stats or at least progression unlocking different (if not better) gear.

:edit:

No way to delete / merge double posts :(

Edited by Jestunhi

This is a pvp game?

Where was it marketed as such?

"We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away!"

good enough to get me interested.

needless to say.......

Edited by Tic-

"We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away!"

good enough to get me interested.

needless to say.......

Re-read my question.

Where was this game marketed as a pvp game?

Not "does this game have a pvp dev team & pvp areas?".

Its clear that the PvP is being treated like an RPG which it is not in its classic sense. There is no boss mob. There is no end game. there is no mid game. there is no beginning where the combat environment is equal to the player. There is no loot. Its just PvP with possible objectives. Its really not much different than CS or any other FPS its just bigger and persistent.

Are there games, any games, that have are successful PvP with lasting item progression. Some games like counterstrike have item progression and regression which is not the same as pure item progression.

WoW, Global Agenda (stated earlier), Team Fortress 2 (supposedly the items are "sidegrades" but that's really not the case at all), DCUO, Shadowbane, Any MOBA.

Should I keep going? Because I could all day.

Re-read my question.

Where was this game marketed as a pvp game?

Not "does this game have a pvp dev team & pvp areas?".

I read your question just fine, and when a developer writes that in a blog on this site, a pvper might find that interesting, and think, this could be the game for me.

crazy i know.

Edited by Tic-

I read your question just fine, and when a developer writes that in a blog on this site, a pvper might find that interesting, and think, this could be the game for me.

crazy i know.

They also have a team which designs graphics.

But it's not a graphical design game.

You may have assumed it was a pvp focused game, and that's fair enough. But it doesn't make it so.

You may have assumed it was a pvp focused game, and that's fair enough. But it doesn't make it so.

That quote, simply being in existence, is marketing it as a PVP game. Because it's Marketing the pvp aspects of the game.

You could make the same claim about raids. "Just because they have trailers for the raids doesn't make it a game marketed for PVE." -- Except it does, because that's exactly what those trailers are. Marketing for the game, pushing the PVE aspect.

That quote, simply being in existence, is marketing it as a PVP game. Because it's Marketing the pvp aspects of the game.

You could make the same claim about raids. "Just because they have trailers for the raids doesn't make it a game marketed for PVE." -- Except it does, because that's exactly what those trailers are. Marketing for the game, pushing the PVE aspect.

Except I wouldn't take a single line about there being raids in a dev interview to mean that the focus of the game was raiding.

I didn't assume anything, I knew the focus wasn't PvP, you only asked where it was said this is a PvP game, no?

Maybe though, I assumed it was to be an MMO that had some of the best PvP designers, working on it, and to be "blown away" with their RvR planet, hence, a game with good PvP.

Edited by Tic-

abilty deley sucks, would just be fine in Hut ball, it@s very good, but with A,B sucks. kills it.

Only time it get little better is at 2am. server?

Ability deley is killing it for me, press something, dont work. it was fix for one day. but its back,,

not my comp..

Edited by seallone

I didn't assume anything, I knew the focus wasn't PvP, you only asked where it was said this is a PvP game, no?

Maybe I assumed it was to be an MMO that had some of the best PvP designers, working on it, and to be "blown away" with their RvR planet, hence, a game with good PvP.

was your worldview shattered and thrown to the four winds when snapple was in fact not "the best drink on earth?"

or whatever their slogan is

Except I wouldn't take a single line about there being raids in a dev interview to mean that the focus of the game was raiding.

I wouldn't assume it was the focus of the game, merely that they were taking it seriously. And, don't get me wrong, not because of that one sentence. The trailers on the Warzones, the whole "Deadliest Warrior" style trailers they had about who would win in duels. The articles written about Ilum and the warzones.

They definitely used PVP as a selling point in their marketing. They never said it was the focus by any means, but they didn't make it sound like it was going to be totally neglected either.

Which to be fair, I don't think it IS being totally neglected it just irritates me when people use what you're saying as some sort of excuse for them to just ignore the PVP because it's just icing on the cake.

It is also irritating to see them not taking it as seriously as I would have hoped.

WoW, Global Agenda (stated earlier), Team Fortress 2 (supposedly the items are "sidegrades" but that's really not the case at all), DCUO, Shadowbane, Any MOBA.

Should I keep going? Because I could all day.

Thats a good list although successful pvp is subjective. Many say that the item progression in WoW kills the PvP same with GA.

shadowbane is dead isnt it?

Moba... is pay to play progression. that seems a thing of it s own.

I guess item progression in SWTOR could be considered Pay to Play. Grind to get the items.

Its subjective of course but I find skill based PvP better than item progression PvP in most every case.

Tribes.

CS

COD

BF

Edited by CrunchyGremlin