why isnt there a wookiee race

chewbackass

Species that cannot speak basic will simply not happen, and I can agree with that. The VO is centered around class, not species and I doubt that will change. Do you really want to growl your way through the game?

No to mention the bodysizes that wont work, all the armor that has te be redone and the love scenes that get...embarrassing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't a Wookie race because BW is lazy. What else can be said? It's cheaper for them to develop their hobbled game with only humanoid species than to try to reinvent their systems for less humanoid species. That's the only reason. If you want humans that are pink, blue or aquamarine, they can do that for you. If you want non-humans or aliens they can't do that.

why isnt there a wookiee race

Apparently because:

1. Bioware can't do non-humaniod armour. :w_confused:

2. Bioware can't think of a way to do non-english speaking story. :w_embarrass:

So generally: :w_mad::w_evil::w_mad::w_evil: (I think they don't want to have to let the wookie(e) win :D)

Species that cannot speak basic will simply not happen, and I can agree with that. The VO is centered around class, not species and I doubt that will change. Do you really want to growl your way through the game?

No to mention the bodysizes that wont work, all the armor that has te be redone and the love scenes that get...embarrassing.

As I have already stated previously the way around it is this.

We the player, portraying the Wookie (or other alien species) understand that language. The VO's can be in the language of the Listener. (English, German, French) Unless the NPC is another wookie, their VO's would be the alien gibberish with subtitles.)

It is such an easy fix.

/sarcasm on

Or some language professor can create a true Wookie Language and we can all learn it, take an exam and if we pass we can be a wookie.

/sarcasm off

As I have already stated previously the way around it is this.

We the player, portraying the Wookie (or other alien species) understand that language. The VO's can be in the language of the Listener. (English, German, French) Unless the NPC is another wookie, their VO's would be the alien gibberish with subtitles.)

It is such an easy fix.

Yes that would be an efficient fix. But imagine the JK voice on a wookie....that would just not work for me, especially the female voices would be too weird. I could simply not take that seriously.

Yes that would be an efficient fix. But imagine the JK voice on a wookie....that would just not work for me, especially the female voices would be too weird. I could simply not take that seriously.

They just need to be the first wookie(e)s, for some inexplicable reason, to wear personal translating droid.

a figaritive, if not literal example :w_tongue:

Surely someone some where has worked out there are less wookie(e) arm ripping off incidents if you can hear the wookie(e) say "I'm going to rip your arms off unless you let me win!" :w_mad: Republic Health and Safety would likely make them mandatory. :D

The have the technology to change the Voices.

But most likely if they did an alien species (and the Dev have stated this themselves) They would have to give them their own story, VO's as they would most likely respond differently to NPC's and companions. A Wookie smuggler might get it on with or her Wookie companion. They could also have different companions for these alien species and a different set of classes.

This would most like be done for a big box expansion, not a content patch.

i think i would be great if they wee to come out with a wookiee race as a expansion latter on does anyone agree

Plausible as an expansion, where the wookiee would have it's own storyline. As Daniel Erickson said:

In the future I can see a day where we would do a Trandoshan or Wookiee type story but it would have to be just that. Not a simple graphic swap where now your smuggler is a giant lizard man and nobody notices but a full class story where you learn what it means to be this strange alien and deal with the rest of the galaxy and their reactions. For the present, however, our heroes are our projections of self, headed into a galaxy of wonders and adventures.

That said, when and if BioWare adds wookiee as playable, they will NOT be jedi or sith, period:

George Lucas has decreed that there can be no more Wookiee Jedi in the Expanded Universe.[16][17] Notably, Obsidian Entertainment was forbidden to make Hanharr a Dark Jedi because of this restriction. Kirlocca, Lowbacca, and Tyvokka are the only existing Wookiee Jedi characters (though an unnamed Wookiee in Edge of Victory: Conquest appears to be an unknown Jedi student rather than Lowbacca), as they were developed before this policy was enacted.

Source

They are too lazy to add any aliens that are not essentially human clones with funny coloured skin.

Look at the issues with Twi'leks and headgear to see how they fail. Imagine them having to actually deal with all armor on various shapes and sizes of other alien races.

No, they've said the romance issue is the deciding factor here.

No, they've said the romance issue is the deciding factor here.

That's incorrect.

So did we limit species choice for romances? No. Did we limit them for our goal of bringing cinematic storytelling and the dream of living the Star Wars movies to the MMO space? Absolutely.

Source

In the future I can see a day where we would do a Trandoshan or Wookiee type story but it would have to be just that. Not a simple graphic swap where now your smuggler is a giant lizard man and nobody notices but a full class story where you learn what it means to be this strange alien and deal with the rest of the galaxy and their reactions. For the present, however, our heroes are our projections of self, headed into a galaxy of wonders and adventures.

I guess kinda like how the Jedi Order doesn't seem to notice or mind that it now has Sith Purebloods and Chiss as Jedi? Or how a blind species can now apparently use guns just as well as everyone else? :rak_02:

Actually on second thoughts I really kinda like the idea of this! Bring 'em on.

What do you call two wookies who get together and have a family?

Wait for it....

A Christmas Special.

I guess kinda like how the Jedi Order doesn't seem to notice or mind that it now has Sith Purebloods and Chiss as Jedi? Or how a blind species can now apparently use guns just as well as everyone else? :rak_02:

That's quite nitpicky. If no one has a problem with Miraluka using a lightsaber, or Force Throw, why would people suddenly have a problem with them using a gun?

Why would the Jedi Order have a problem with any redeemed species? They never have, I don't see why they'd suddenly start.

There have been many wookiee jedi in the history of the jedi order. I think the only problem with wookiee as a class is purely practicality.

There have been exactly three...and a half. As I said a page back:

George Lucas has decreed that there can be no more Wookiee Jedi in the Expanded Universe.[16][17] Notably, Obsidian Entertainment was forbidden to make Hanharr a Dark Jedi because of this restriction. Kirlocca, Lowbacca, and Tyvokka are the only existing Wookiee Jedi characters (though an unnamed Wookiee in Edge of Victory: Conquest appears to be an unknown Jedi student rather than Lowbacca), as they were developed before this policy was enacted.

Source

1. GL has flat out refused the exisitance of anymore wookie jedi so there out for force users
  2. they cant speak basic and 3 chapters full of groawl grunt gets old fast
  3. romance dont get me started on that
  4. armor, bowdar doesnt show the armor hes wearing and wookies dont wear clothes

1. Droids do that all the time, so do a lot of the alien humanoid species, including ones you can actually have as a Player Character.

2. They weren't too iconic to be a playable race in SWG (and there were a LOT more playable races in SWG too, 10 in fact) and there was absolutely no problem with them as such there, you could make that argument with Yoda, but not really with Wookies, admittedly though none of the current classes really scream Wookie, except bounty hunter maybe, but they wouldn't work so well as the mirror Trooper.

The real reason is probably:

3. BW for whatever reason couldn't manage non-human PC, just different coloured human "aliens".

1. Sorry, but plenty of the droids speak Basic in this game. You meet them frequently. Even the Gree are understandable.. But droids also are not a playable species in TOR, so the comparison here is moot. And to swipe one from #2, Yoda and his species isn't going to be playable in TOR either.

2. SWG is dead and gone. Does the rest of that "2" paragraph mean anything in light of that updated information? Well okay, I'll go on. SWG didn't have voiced over missions throughout the game, so you could have any kind of alien and you could connect with them about as well as any other character since none of them really did anything outside of text boxes.

3. The real reason is probably exactly what they said it was: They know about human psychology and the general makeup of the player base and, short of a few statistical outliers, most players wouldn't want to play a character where they hear "Heeaaaahhhh raaaeaaahh yeeaahh" the entire time. The fact that George Lucas has forbidden any more force-sensitive Wookiees also means that they'd have to be severely cut back from the class stories, which means it's a lot more work for a lot less bang for the buck, just to placate a few people who want to play Furries.

When it's your money to invest and pledge to recoup that investment, you're welcome to go create any Star Wars game you'd like to let all kinds of freaky aliens play as the main character, assuming Lucas would sell you the rights. Until then, I'd probably put more weight behind what the actual people developing the actual game said their intention and reasoning was, rather than making up my own excuses.

Want to play with a Wookiee? Roll a smuggler. Bowdaar is your friend, and is awesome as a sidekick.