why isnt there a wookiee race

chewbackass

I did actually. It never felt like Star Wars. It never caught the feel of the movies for me. It didn't get anything right about Star Wars. It may have been adequate for RP'ers to do what they wanted but that isn't Star Wars. Its not about a giant do what the **** you want, its about that feeling of going into a giant space battle between the Republic and the Empire and taking down what seems insurmountable, its about overcoming the odds, its not about exploring space. Its about being part of an adventure to unbelievable places, not sitting around in a cavern grinding my dance skill.

Your loss then. :)

But I really can't see how you can find SWTOR bursting with Star Warsiness if you found SWG utterly devoid of it.

Nor how Wookies would somehow detract from that.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your loss then. :)

But I really can't see how you can find SWTOR bursting with Star Warsiness if you found SWG utterly devoid of it.

Nor how Wookies would somehow detract from that.

Wookies would detract from it because wookies aren't common. It will kill the lore. You can't have 150 wookies in fleet, you can barely get away with freaking 5. They just aren't common. We only see one wookie until we get to the freaking prequels.

I find SWTOR bursting with it because I am on a grand adventure. I'm going from being the little man to the baddest mother****er in the universe. I'm kicking people's asses, force choking them, I'm being a goddamn Sith Lord. I am on my way to enter tombs, find the secrets of the force and I'm there to take them at the expense of anyone who gets in the way. As a Jedi Knight my first kill is a guy with a lightsaber. My eventual goal becomes to kill the goddamn Emperor of the Sith Empire. So you know what I do? I kick down his goddamn door and I go shove my boot up his ***. That is what star wars is about. A freaking adventure to do the impossible. Lukes was to become a Jedi Knight like his father before him and stop the Empire, mine is to become Darth Imperious and **** up the Republic until they aren't a threat.

The lore reasons are just excuses. They regularly game the lore to make the game more playable - lightsabers not slicing through everything being one example.

The real reason is Wookies are too different to other humanoids. Normal armour and clothing doesn't fit them, they can't speak basic, and the idea of getting jiggy with a walking carpet is probably another reason.

The observation that all the playable races in game are the same bodies with different heads is entirely legitimate. There's a site which did a comparison of the bodies with obscured heads - you can't tell the difference.

Edited by HELhikari

Wookies would detract from it because wookies aren't common. It will kill the lore. You can't have 150 wookies in fleet, you can barely get away with freaking 5. They just aren't common. We only see one wookie until we get to the freaking prequels.

I find SWTOR bursting with it because I am on a grand adventure. I'm going from being the little man to the baddest mother****er in the universe. I'm kicking people's asses, force choking them, I'm being a gosh darn Sith Lord. I am on my way to enter tombs, find the secrets of the force and I'm there to take them at the expense of anyone who gets in the way. As a Jedi Knight my first kill is a guy with a lightsaber.

My eventual goal becomes to kill the gosh darn Emperor of the Sith Empire. So you know what I do? I kick down his gosh darn door and I go shove my boot up his ***.

That is what star wars is about. A freaking adventure to do the impossible. Lukes was to become a Jedi Knight like his father before him and stop the Empire, mine is to become Darth Imperious and **** up the Republic until they aren't a threat.

And Sith Lords are common?

I'm still not sure why Wookies would spoil anything either, as you're basically saying you play SWTOR as KOTOR 3 (i.e. a single player game with optional multiplayer)..... after all EVERYONE cannot do what you say you are doing (which somewhat spoils the "lore")..... any yet in game that is exactly what they DO. :eek:

I wonder if this is why you didn't get away with SWG.

Edited by Goretzu

And Sith Lords are common?

I'm still not sure why Wookies would spoil anything either, as you're basically saying you play SWTOR as KOTOR 3 (i.e. a single player game with optional multiplayer)..... after all EVERYONE cannot do what you say you are doing (which somewhat spoils the "lore")..... any yet in game that is exactly what they DO. :eek:

I wonder if this is why you didn't get away with SWG.

Except I don't see another person who did the same thing I did when I did my class quest. I see someone. I see a potential group member, I don't think that "**** fifty people already did this whats the point" I think of it as mine and only mine. Who gives a rats *** if someone did it already. By that logic that guy who played Mass Effect before me killed the entire point of beating Saren. That's not true. The point of doing that was the adventure. To go on an epic quest. I don't give a damn if someone else did it already! I'm doing it, thats all that *********** matters.

Except I don't see another person who did the same thing I did when I did my class quest. I see someone. I see a potential group member, I don't think that "**** fifty people already did this whats the point" I think of it as mine and only mine. Who gives a rats *** if someone did it already. By that logic that guy who played Mass Effect before me killed the entire point of beating Saren. That's not true. The point of doing that was the adventure. To go on an epic quest. I don't give a damn if someone else did it already! I'm doing it, thats all that *********** matters.

You don't see millions of Sith Lords?

Then surely you could just ignore a few Wookies too?

But still you're NOT the only one to be doing these things in SWTOR, everyone is, which I guess is why you didn't like SWG, it was an MMO and couldn't really be played as a single player game (or online instanced special snowflake simulator as it's known in the bussiness).

Which is fair enough, it's your choice not to like MMOs, but it's no reason to discriminate against Wookies! :w_smile:

You don't see millions of Sith Lords?

Then surely you could just ignore a few Wookies too?

But still you're NOT the only one to be doing these things in SWTOR, everyone is, which I guess is why you didn't like SWG, it was an MMO and couldn't really be played as a single player game (or online instanced special snowflake simulator as it's known in the bussiness).

Which is fair enough, it's your choice not to like MMOs, but it's no reason to discriminate against Wookies! :w_smile:

I don't see millions of Sith Lords. I see about maybe 40-50 in fleet, there are billions of people in the Empire. If 1% of those are force sensitive and 4 die for every one to progress, thats 2000 Sith. Now tell me when was the last time you saw a Wookie ingame (Not as a smuggler.)

I believe Lucas officially banned any more wookie Jedi. Or was that Hutt? I think he banned Wookie Jedi.

Found it.

"George Lucas has decreed that there can be no more Wookiee Jedi in the Expanded Universe."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee

Given how he's so drastically changed his mind on altering historic films, expect to see SWTOR2 have nothing but Wookie Jedi in it. :w_tongue:

I don't see millions of Sith Lords. I see about maybe 40-50 in fleet, there are billions of people in the Empire. If 1% of those are force sensitive and 4 die for every one to progress, thats 2000 Sith. Now tell me when was the last time you saw a Wookie ingame (Not as a smuggler.)

There's one standing in the fleet. :w_wink:

However going by your ratio having up to 20+ Wookies in the fleet at should be perfectly fine.

I do wonder what you'll do if they introduce Wookies as an expansion or legacy race though. :w_eek:

1. Droids do that all the time, so do a lot of the alien humanoid species, including ones you can actually have as a Player Character.

2. They weren't too iconic to be a playable race in SWG (and there were a LOT more playable races in SWG too, 10 in fact) and there was absolutely no problem with them as such there, you could make that argument with Yoda, but not really with Wookies, admittedly though none of the current classes really scream Wookie, except bounty hunter maybe, but they wouldn't work so well as the mirror Trooper.

The real reason is probably:

3. BW for whatever reason couldn't manage non-human PC, just different coloured human "aliens".

1. Name one currently playable species that has no history speaking basic.

2. But this isn't SWG now, is it? When your story is actually professionally written, I'd rather have it fit. SWG, sure, you could role play a real wookiee just fine since the content was what the community made it. Here, we have professionally written scripts, an none of them fit wookiees.

on a 3rd note, Wookiees only have on body type. I might be able to imagine the fat wookiee and the tall muscular wookiee, but the body type 2 would be a little off and body type 1 would just fail hard from a lore perspective.

Edited by Elder

I suspect there would have to be a huge out cry for wookies for them or any species who can't speak basic to come into the game. Its simply that Bioware put such a huge amount of time and money into the story and the fully voiced MMO that they wont want people to not play the story.

Kinda wonder if at level 50 legacy they might allow it as you will have done the stories so many times by then most people would be skipping them any way.

BioWare was worried that popular and iconic races like the Wookiee and the Mon Calamari, who would not be available to the Empire-for obvious reasons- would make the Republic too attractive and interesting of an option than the 'pro-human' Empire. Accentuating the diversity of the Republic may have made the Republic side more popular, and BioWare just couldn't have allowed that.

I suspect there would have to be a huge out cry for wookies for them or any species who can't speak basic to come into the game. Its simply that Bioware put such a huge amount of time and money into the story and the fully voiced MMO that they wont want people to not play the story.

Kinda wonder if at level 50 legacy they might allow it as you will have done the stories so many times by then most people would be skipping them any way.

Yeah, for that one guy who's going to stick with playing this game for all that time.

1. Name one currently playable species that has no history speaking basic.

2. But this isn't SWG now, is it? When your story is actually professionally written, I'd rather have it fit. SWG, sure, you could role play a real wookiee just fine since the content was what the community made it. Here, we have professionally written scripts, an none of them fit wookiees.

on a 3rd note, Wookiees only have on body type. I might be able to imagine the fat wookiee and the tall muscular wookiee, but the body type 2 would be a little off and body type 1 would just fail hard from a lore perspective.

1. Again give the NPCs in game that don't speak Basic (or English in fact :p) subtitles and wookie sounds or even a robot translator isn't the end of the world.

2. And professionals can't write a story for a Wookie? I've have thought being proffesionals that would be exactly what they COULD do. ;)

3. Wookies have more than 1 body type canon-wise and did in SWG IIRC. The aren't going to be a carbon(ite) copy of the human ones..... but then that would BE the whole point, wouldn't it. :)

sith warrior has broonmark as a companion, he don't talk human but he is still there

so many wookie is a bad idea for a PC

but a wookie could make a good companion, also i'm sure wookies use blasters so ability's for a companion wookie would be quite easy

Real Wookies use Bowcasters.