How big of a bite......

Throras

It's much more likely that this game will attract people who used to play WoW but have already quit due to disinterest in the game.

TOR might attract a few curious WoW-players for a short amount of time, but keep in mind that people currently playing WoW must still like WoW enough to pay for it.

The only real dent I see it making is attracting the people still playing a WoW sub but barely logging in anymore because they're so tired of it. And I simply don't believe that's a high enough number to be a noticeable dent.

Very good point imho.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That blog is full of misinformation. No source, nothing.

Yeah I am not sure about that article. It makes no sense to me. Essentially it says that Blizzard moved from a company that provided it's license to one that is not able to obtain a license from the Chinese government. That makes no sense at all. There is no way that a company as successful and savvy as Blizzard would change to a company that would not be able to provide a license and then have to shut all of their servers down in China.

LOL wow ....yeah keep up that positive thoughts.

I went to college with Cliff Jones he works in their Music department....lets just say they are very very worried.

At least the music department should not be worried. WoW has significantly better music than TOR (excluding the classic John William tracks). :o

At least the music department should not be worried. WoW has significantly better music than TOR (excluding the classic John William tracks). :o

I dunno I'm digging the SWTOR tracks...of course I still say the best thing to come out of Cataclysm was the music....mainly because they Gave David Arkenstone so many tracks to do

Edited by Jett-Rinn

THANK YOU BIOWARE!

I think this game is going to HURT WOW. Badly. Not today, not next week, but I give it about 3 months to gain traction and get all over youtube and get to every MMO player out there.

Judging from the fact that BioWare had to do a lottery because of the mad dash to the London event (unexpected?), I wonder if they realize how big this is going to get. They only had 150 spaces for a STAR WARS mmo Launch event in LONDON. That lack of good planning is almost funny if it weren't so tragic... IT'S STAR WARS! COME ON!

When friends of mine say "SWTOR" is "Amazing" and I hear "This is the best MMO I have ever played" from serious WOW heads, that says enough for me.

OK so WOW has 12 million subscribers... how many of those people are just hanging around in Azeroth because nothing better has come along? A LOT. Trust me. Like half of my old guild and a dozen people I know who just got bored with it. Kung Fu Panda? Come on...

Rift? Rift is just WOW with slightly better graphics and much more boring artwork. Fat chance, I tried it and was bored in 10 minutes. Next...

Eve online? Cool game if you are into it, but dying is for real in that game, and everything takes FOREVER. 4 months and I was out. So what else is out there? Well, there's Aion (sucks, next...), LOTR, er...? Guild Wars, too niche...? I know there are a few others, but come on, seriously.

THIS IS STAR WARS! With 17 Planets, 16 advanced classes, a bunch of races, and personal Star Ships! Star Wars is like an 8 billion dollar franchise and SWTOR is like the HOLY GRAIL of Star Wars games (at least to people like me). I should know, I was there back in 1977 when the first Star Destroyer came over head and when I was a kid I wanted to grow up and become a Jedi Knight! Now, I can! (But being a Sith I'll just have to settle and be a Bounty Hunter... ha ha!).

Even I didn't know about SWTOR (or at least didn't know that it was an MMO!) until 2 weeks ago. My best friend told me "Hey, there's a Star Wars MMO. Did you know about that?) I remembered Old Republic a while back I saw some videos about SWTOR about 2 years ago that were talking about the animations, and the story line, and blah blah blah blah. I thought it was going to be a Star Wars version of something like Fallout New Vegas, or Skyrim. Just another single player game going to sit on my shelf collecting dust after about 3 days of play because there is no depth to it and I can't play it with my friends.

As soon as I found out that it was an MMO, that changed everything. Immediately. I rushed to the website, started pouring over character progressions, looking at the planets, the artwork, the music, the animations... I went ******* and said SIGN ME UP FOR THIS YESTERDAY!

I have been telling people for the last year, "How come nobody has come out with a sci fi MMO that's good?" I was ready to sign up for this even before I even knew about the game.

A LOT of my WOW friends at work have never even heard of SWTOR. When I tell them "It's an MMO like WOW, but it's Star Wars and its a war between the Jedi and the Sith", every last one of them is signing up for it.

Then, there were the 2 million beta testers. I'm going to say that again, without trying to be sarcastic: There were 2 MILLION beta testers. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Anyway, I just hope I get my invite soon because poking around the forums is getting boring. I want to lose myself in this game, ASAP.

THANK YOU BIOWARE! You guys rock and I can't wait to experience your hard work. It's been a long time coming, that's for sure! This is easily the coolest thing since 2004, and maybe one of the coolest things in the last 30 years.

Finally, THANK YOU also for looking at the cool factors about what makes an MMO really cool and really fun. Keep it up! (Please.)

Peace!

Welcome, I knew a lot of WoW folks were psyched for this game, originally I was irritated when I first heard about it because I wanted a KOTOR 3 RPG. Well, after playing beta it was like KOTOR3x1000 on crack with folks you can adventure with. I've never had this much satisfaction playing any other MMO game from day 1. In any case if you haven't heard some of the other new music that's out check this out and all the other music it's unbelievably well done and very epic. More pop up on youtube everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522uGI-8dtE

wow isnt going anywhere, anytime soon. Why does it have to b WoW or SWTOR? How come we can have both, both have there pros and cons. Ive played both and i enjoy both very much.

So in 5 years are we gonna hear about X mmo going to be the SWTOR killer?

The reason it has to be WOW or SWTOR is because the vast majority of people are unable or unwilling to pay a sub fee for two MMOs. I think that the affect SWTOR is MOST likely to have on WOW is to speed up the date that WOW is forced to go free to play like many of the other MMOs have had to do. I appreciate the time and enjoyment I have had with WOW, but now I am terribly bored and have zero excitement about Pandas. If SWTOR ends up being a flop over the next year or so, I still don't think I would go back to WOW. For me personally, that ship has sailed, and probably not so much because of SWTOR but because I don't enjoy WOW any longer. SWTOR simply gave me a new ship to sail on.

For folks waiting to get in and want to enjoy some absolutely fantastic soundtracks have some eargasms over this. Never heard music like this in any game, must have cost a ton for all of it. Brand new with great elements from SW and KOTOR to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YukTzBMZwpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522uGI-8dtE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgprGHizkTo&feature=related

Edited by Yowfatto

Whether you're pro-Blizzard or pro-Bioware (or neither, or both), I don't think there is any denying that Blizzard doesn't like this. I didn't expect them to be 'worried' either but they seem more defensive than I'd imagined they would be.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/kotick-skeptical-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-6346762 (Not a huge deal, and left up to interpretation, but none the less immature)

The annual pass that includes Diablo 3 and the mount? Annual pass? Kind of ridiculous and also again immature, and maybe even a bit cruel too, given the direction the game is going in. I wouldn't sign up for an annual pass even when the game was still what I considered good.

I have heard that WOW has lost about 1 millions subscribers since the launch of CATA. Anyone want to speculate how big of a bite this MMO with take from WOW's subscriber base? I personally pay for three WOW accounts, but I have stopped my monthly subscriptions to WOW in order to subscribe to SWTOR, as I am unwilling to pay for both games. It seems to me that this is the first MMO to give WOW some REAL competition. What do you guys think?

I hardly see it making a huge dent in WoW until more endgame content (then what is rumored) is released.

That being said I am an ex-wow player that has zero intentions of going back. Been off for a little over a year and have been searching for a new mmo since.

I don't think SW:TOR will affect WOW significantly at all. Perhaps 500k-1m subs at most for the first month(s), then they will go back due to lack of content and polishing.

Because of how much dedication MMOs need, most people don't really play two of them at the same time. So as long as WOW has better endgame it will be king.

Yeah 'cos they'd rather be served the same old cold soup over & over again than to deal with the hotness of a fresh soup that's not quite the same as their old recipe which is getting old, rotten and disgusting... Don't blame them father, they just didn't know any better.

SWTOR is brand new!

Oh yeah, it may lack the polish that WoW has, yup... it probably does but believe me, I'd rather have to deal with a lack of polish than to deal with a community filled with elitist trolls.

SWTOR is brand new!

Oh yeah, it may lack the content that WoW has, yup but WoW is like what... about to turn 8 years old ?! Jeez c'mon mate... Do you seriously expect a game to come out with 4 expansions at launch just to please your "I WANT MORE CONTENT ... THERE WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH CONTENT ?!" appetite ?!

Be realist for once and open your eyes.

SWTOR is already 10 times better than WoW was @ launch and will end up 100 times better than WoW over time.

Edited by NinjaScroll

I dunno I'm digging the SWTOR tracks...of course I still say the best thing to come out of Cataclysm was the music....mainly because they Gave David Arkenstone so many tracks to do

ARE you two SERIOUS? Holy hell, this game has one of the BEST soundtracks in an MMO that I've ever heard. Just go to youtube page and listen! It's epic in sound form. It's orchestrated, it's well composed and it fits the game.

If SWTOR does end up putting a significant dent in WOW's player base, I wonder if Blizzard will try to hurry and push Titan to completion faster? Blizzard has never really had any significant threat to their player base so they have never really had to hurry and push anything.

Seriously? You really think that? I've see nothing but huge praise for their music. They have full out insane orchestras for this game. I don't know what you've been listening to.

If you think these are bad then well, your tastes are just much different than SW fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YukTzBMZwpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxaazYPjjd4&feature=related

Lots of others too but to say their music department isn't any good is seriously way off, imo it's quite epic and perfectly fits this game.

Edited by Yowfatto

If SWTOR does end up putting a significant dent in WOW's player base, I wonder if Blizzard will try to hurry and push Titan to completion faster? Blizzard has never really had any significant threat to their player base so they have never really had to hurry and push anything.

No one has a clue as to what Titan even is yet, with that being the case I don't see that game coming out until 2014-2015.