Adrenal for a sawbones - which one?

NRieh

It's not that I need them badly in current solo\teamed up with a friend progression(lv 30 atm), but I'd love to figure it out, especially considering that I'm a biochem.

As far as I understand - those dont boost primary stats, but give short and huge boost for something else. So, which of those could really bring any help for a healing scoundrel in PvE?

If you mean for PVE, then surge or power are good depending on your current stats (surge hits diminishing returns very fast, power has no diminishing returns). For PVP, there is nothing even remotely close to as good as the warzone expertise adrenal (10 warzone comms each). Not only is it 25 second duration instead of 15 seconds with biochem adrenals, but the bonuses given by it are immense compared to biochem adrenals. Edited by Kutsus

The crit one, for the most part. And in highend play, I often use it on dps rather than healing. If you have a very high crit, and a low crit mult, you may consider the surge one instead (I'm currently sitting on an 84% crit mult though, surge is pretty easy to get). Some might say power instead though for more reliable healing/damage, but for the most part you should have a pretty high crit as a smuggler, and you're 'gambling' (not much of a gamble as a smug, but the adrenal can help make it more a guarantee) on the crits to really keep people alive.

Triage one is pretty useless as you're going to have to dps at some points in hm+ ops.

EDIT: I should note, as a biochem, having one of each of the ones I noted sans triage (and the armor one, just in case) is a fine idea, and you can use them according to what you need. Not hard to get the mats for the rakatas, not hard at all.

Edited by Vorna

I don't entirely agree with Vorna. The answer to "Do I want a Power Adrenal or a Crit Adrenal" isn't much different than asking if you want more Power or Crit on your gear. It all depends.

There's diminishing returns on crit rating, but not for power. So the amount of benefit realized from either adrenal is going to depend on your current stats.

So, for example, the Rakata Triage Adrenal gives you +565 Tech Power, which equates to roughly +96 healing. Meanwhile, the Rakata Critical Adrenal gives you +565 Critical Rating. Now if you already at 1000 Critical Rating, then the increase is only going to give you an approximate increase of about 4%. However, if your pre-adrenal crit rating was low, say 100, then leaping up to 665 is going to give you a whopping +15% bonus to crit.

To summarize, crit gives diminishing returns the more of it you have. If you're low on crit rating, the crit adrenal is awesome. If you have plenty of crit, then you're probably better off getting +100 healing for 15 seconds than you are +4% crit.

One final note: Currently the Power and Triage Adrenals give the same amount of power, except the triage adrenals reduce your damage output for the duration. It's assumed that the Triage adrenals will eventually get buffed, and probably give a more substantial healing boost.

Edited by Azaranth

If you mean for PVE, then surge or power are good depending on your current stats (surge hits diminishing returns very fast, power has no diminishing returns). For PVP, there is nothing even remotely close to as good as the warzone expertise adrenal (10 warzone comms each). Not only is it 25 second duration instead of 15 seconds with biochem adrenals, but the bonuses given by it are immense compared to biochem adrenals.

You can use crafted stims from stealth. You can't use warzone stims without breaking stealth. Damage increase is fairly similar on the power stim, which is what I use.

You can use crafted stims from stealth. You can't use warzone stims without breaking stealth. Damage increase is fairly similar on the power stim, which is what I use.

You can also stack the rakata adrenal with a red buff while the expertise adrenal doesn't stack, but it's hard to ignore the 10 extra seconds of buff duration (15s vs 25s) and the 15% dmg reduction 15% healing increase on top of the 15% damage increase.

Edited by Kutsus

You can also stack the rakata adrenal with a red buff while the expertise adrenal doesn't stack, but it's hard to ignore the 10 extra seconds of buff duration (15s vs 25s) and the 15% dmg reduction 15% healing increase on top of the 15% damage increase.

Yep, but you'll get the best burst damage with Red Buff + Power Adrenal + Crit Surge Relic and you can do it all from stealth so it will apply to your Shoot First. This is what makes Scoundrels get the ridiculous opener crits. You'll barely break 5k without popping all that kind of **** at once.

Yep, but you'll get the best burst damage with Red Buff + Power Adrenal + Crit Surge Relic and you can do it all from stealth so it will apply to your Shoot First. This is what makes Scoundrels get the ridiculous opener crits. You'll barely break 5k without popping all that kind of **** at once.

In terms of absolutely maxing out your burst damage for 15s out of every 3 minutes, you are correct. I personally prefer having more total uptime on high damage output and extra damage reduction via the expertise adrenal. If you prefer the other way, you are not wrong for that... so let's please just drop it and get back on topic.

Considering the OP of this thread is a sawbones healer and that is the question at hand, I'd wager that he would prefer 15% damage reduction and 15% healing for 25s over only a healing boost for 15s. This is keeping in mind that red buffs take a while to spawn, can be grabbed by other players, can't be used reactively like the expertise adrenal can, and he is not too worried about using "Heal first" from stealth for max healing burst.

edit: furthermore, he edited the original post to say PVE... so again, depends on current stats. Power adrenal is a sure bet if you're already close to hitting diminishing returns on surge or crit.

Edited by Kutsus

In terms of absolutely maxing out your burst damage for 15s out of every 3 minutes, you are correct. I personally prefer having more total uptime on high damage output and extra damage reduction via the expertise adrenal. If you prefer the other way, you are not wrong for that... so let's please just drop it and get back on topic.

Considering the OP of this thread is a sawbones healer and that is the question at hand, I'd wager that he would prefer 15% damage reduction and 15% healing for 25s over only a healing boost for 15s. This is keeping in mind that red buffs take a while to spawn, can be grabbed by other players, can't be used reactively like the expertise adrenal can, and he is not too worried about using "Heal first" from stealth for max healing burst.

edit: furthermore, he edited the original post to say PVE... so again, depends on current stats. Power adrenal is a sure bet if you're already close to hitting diminishing returns on surge or crit.

The game rewards meeting specific goals. 5k damage crit, 5k heal, solo kill, etc. To get those you need to "blow everything" and make someone feel terrible.

The game rewards meeting specific goals. 5k damage crit, 5k heal, solo kill, etc. To get those you need to "blow everything" and make someone feel terrible.

I still get ~7k crits and the 5k heal medal every warzone as DPS spec without having to stack a red buff + biochem adrenal (and 5k dmg medal, 7k+ heal crits as 31 point sawbones). As I said, I prefer the higher sustained benefits of using the expertise adrenal. If you really want to keep going on and on with this, can you just send your next reply as a PM? We're off the topic of this thread.

Edited by Kutsus

furthermore, he edited the original post to say PVE... so again, depends on current stats. Power adrenal is a sure bet if you're already close to hitting diminishing returns on surge or crit.

Belive me or not, yet the question remained as it was from the very beginning - about HEALING and PvE ;). I knew that PvPrs are most likely to answer and bring along some PvP-related discussions anyway.:p Could also be useful some days, I suppose.

So, crit, power, surge are seem to be my options, right? Could add dmg-reduction one also, I guess...well..just for some cases, not sure if it can be something like "oh-sith" life-saver or not...

Edited by NRieh

I still get ~7k crits and the 5k heal medal every warzone as DPS spec without having to stack a red buff + biochem adrenal (and 5k dmg medal, 7k+ heal crits as 31 point sawbones). As I said, I prefer the higher sustained benefits of using the expertise adrenal. If you really want to keep going on and on with this, can you just send your next reply as a PM? We're off the topic of this thread.

I have never had a 7k crit on anyone, ever, even blowing everything. If you have, I'd like to know how. I top out around 6.4k.

The reason I don't quite believe you is that I am pretty much the undisputed top Scoundrel on my server and no operative has ever hit me that hard.

I am fully crit/surge/power with 624 expertise. No Battlemaster gear just yet, but I don't see how that could make a 20% difference. Explain please. :)

Edited by DunsparrowSolo

I have never had a 7k crit on anyone, ever, even blowing everything. If you have, I'd like to know how. I top out around 6.4k.

The reason I don't quite believe you is that I am pretty much the undisputed top Scoundrel on my server and no operative has ever hit me that hard.

I am fully crit/surge/power with 624 expertise. No Battlemaster gear just yet, but I don't see how that could make a 20% difference. Explain please. :)

Eh don't know if this helps. Full BM except for 2 slots, all enhancements replaced with 23end/34power/48surge. I regularly get 7300-7800 on champion level geared DPS assassins and sorcs when their bubble is down with a red buff or expertise adrenal + power relic.... Was also getting 10k crits before consumable stacking nerf. http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/sparks03max/stats-1.jpg

Edited by Kutsus

Eh don't know if this helps. Full BM except for 2 slots, all enhancements replaced with 23end/34power/48surge. I regularly get 7300-7800 on champion level geared DPS assassins and sorcs when their bubble is down with a red buff or expertise adrenal + power relic.... Was also getting 10k crits before consumable stacking nerf. http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/sparks03max/stats-1.jpg

Thanks. Where do you get the power/surge enhancements?

Thanks. Where do you get the power/surge enhancements?

You can get them in champion enforcer gloves/helm, some columi level items... I got 3 of the ones I have from the gunslinger offhand weapon that drops off last boss in battle for ilum hardmode.

You can also stack the rakata adrenal with a red buff...

If by red buff you mean the warzone red buff that grants expertise -- then no, you unfortunately cannot. They count the same as adrenal as far as a buff is concerned.

For example -- if you utilize the rakata adrenal and then step on the warzone red buff -- the warzone red buff will take the place of the adrenal and override the buff. Vice versa as well.

Edited by jbrdude