Riposte - Worth the focus we spend?

Oxegenn

Hi all,

Anyone else feel that the Riposte ability isn't worth using at all because it costs so much focus?

It ignored global cooldown which is a major advantage but there are many other things in PvP which need our attention and focus.

I think it required a damage improvement or a focus cost reduction. Anyone agree?

Tooltip shows a rough estimate of 1k-1.2k damage. - 3 Focus.

Riposte is fine. It's cost-efficient for all specs except 31+ Combat.

Handling the burst focus cost can use too much of your attention though, and it's not a significant dps improvement, so most don't bother once you get your 31 point abilities. However, you should keep it in reserve as a burst damage focus dump for those odd moments.

I just don't find myself running out of focus that often. I have experienced many hurdles as a combat sentinel, but insufficient focus isn't one of them. I pepper in focus generators a lot, though, since htey dont' take much time to pull off. Keeping the focus up you shouldn't have to worry about the cost of your damage dealers. most of the time, I have either won or lost before the focus runs dry. But, then, that is me.

I finally removed it from my bar as Watchman. Honestly, every video I've seen of a good Watchman, Riposte is there but it never gets pushed. We're just too Focus-starved as it is to be able to spend 3 on an ability that hits for about as much as a dot tick. Edited by McVade

Remember: it's off the GCD, so you can pair it with a strike. Add up the damage for BOTH strike and riposte, and it costs you a measly 1 focus total: this will come out on top of a slash, so it is well worth it... until you replace slash with something else (such as 31+ combat).

Remember: it's off the GCD, so you can pair it with a strike. Add up the damage for BOTH strike and riposte, and it costs you a measly 1 focus total: this will come out on top of a slash, so it is well worth it... until you replace slash with something else (such as 31+ combat).

My reason was the "pro" reason. The real reason I don't usually hit Riposite is because I never know when the **** it actually procs and I don't want to stare at my bar, looking for it.

What I wouldn't give for a UI that isn't totally worthless, but I guess when the game doesn't even have a combat log, it's hard to ask for nice things.

Edited by McVade

The only advantage that i can see is when i've got 6/7 focus+ and i want to burst a player at 30%ish health. Its just that i have other abilities that cost the same focus and hit 1/3 harder.

I think wow had it right with low rage cost overpower.

As a sentinel i rarely have too much fucus in any spec to waste on this ability as it stands.

*edit* come to think of it, i,d happily use it at 2 rage. That way i could autoattak as im doing it and no time/focus lost.

Edited by Oxegenn

No. It's not worth it.

That whole "just pair it with X" is nonsense. I always need that focus for something else (Merciless Slash requires you to have 5).

If it was 1 Focus it would be awesome and I would gladly have it.

If it was 2 Focus I would have to test it to see if I liked it.

But 3 Focus for a conditional automatic okay damage? I ditched it a long time ago.

I finally removed it from my bar as Watchman. Honestly, every video I've seen of a good Watchman, Riposte is there but it never gets pushed. We're just too Focus-starved as it is to be able to spend 3 on an ability that hits for about as much as a dot tick.

Same. I had it in there and kept looking at it but never busting it. If I had three focus available, I'd use a Slash, especially since it has a chance to reset the cooldown on Cauterize. So I eventually tossed it out of my main bar.

I used it when I first got the skill to try it I found that.

- The animation was too long and was blocking me from using other skills quickly (may have sorted that but whatever)

- It was hugely expencive for the damage it deals

- Having a skill I have to wait for with focus is just not useable in a fast paced PvP situation

So I dumbed in about 5 minutes after getting it.

No. It's not worth it.

That whole "just pair it with X" is nonsense. I always need that focus for something else (Merciless Slash requires you to have 5).

I've already modeled the damage the last time this was discussed. The only spec where Riposte is inefficient is Combat once you get Blade Rush.

You shouldn't "NEED" that focus for Merc Slash. You should already have enough focus for Merc, OCS, Cauterize, and Riposte all on cooldown.

I just hate how long it takes the damage to display after you've struck. I keep thinking I've missed. I've had to train myself to switch targets even if the mob I've just finished is still standing after I've activated the effect and pierced him right through.

Bleh.

Flickershow

No. It's not worth it.

If it was 1 Focus it would be awesome and I would gladly have it.

If it was 2 Focus I would have to test it to see if I liked it.

But 3 Focus for a conditional automatic okay damage? I ditched it a long time ago.

Don't be silly. If you pair it with strike, you get 2 focus back, so it only costs 1 focus total. The damage for riposte + strike > slash. So it's better than slash.

I use it all the time. Also so what if its animation is slow. You know the damage is done before the animation even finishes right? You hit slash and riposte and immediately use force leap. You dont have to wait for the silly animations to finish. Just look at pommel bash as an example. You hit pommel bash and the damage already comes off long before he winds up to hit. Use your force sweep, pommel bash and immediately use another move. If you are waiting for moves to finish thinking its the animation that is important you are moving too slow. I have found myself going too fast between moves where my guy is mid cauterize I am hitting riposte in the air. I dont wait to land. And no I am not interrupting my own abilities, it seems a few are interrupt able but most can be chained or even done simultaneously.

Hi all,

Anyone else feel that the Riposte ability isn't worth using at all because it costs so much focus?

It ignored global cooldown which is a major advantage but there are many other things in PvP which need our attention and focus.

I think it required a damage improvement or a focus cost reduction. Anyone agree?

Tooltip shows a rough estimate of 1k-1.2k damage. - 3 Focus.

I look at it this way. There are a few abilities that I would use first but after that if it is up I use it and if I have only 3 focus then I will use riposte and a strike to generate some more focus. This way you get damage from strike and riposte for only 1 focus cost, all rolled up together in the same global cooldown. Yea its nice.