Last score in Huttball tie should = Win

jonglynn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it is just plain terrible it encourages the PvP turtle which is at odds with how skilful Huttball should be played.

Umm.. you don't turtle the whole game, only at the very, very end when you're tied.

Sorry, but your crying will fall on deaf ears. People that know what they're talking about don't have an issue with it the way it is. Sorry you seem to think that you know so much better.

Having the ball shouldn't equal a win. That is WAY too arbitrary of a system to win a 15 minute match.

Scoring should be the only thing that matters, and in the case of a tie, the last person to score should win. Holding the ball doesn't mean a DAMN THING because people get insta gibbed and the ball swaps back and forth over and over.

You still didn't answer the question of how you identified the premade.

And if holding the ball at the end is too arbitrary then so is the last score in the game. Scoring last doesn't always mean the scorers overcame a tremendous barrier, or constitutes some extra effort worthy of praise. It could have been any number of things.

I would argue that it's no different than holding the ball at the end because it still takes coordination to do so. People won't get insta-gibbed if you know the purpose at that time is to protect your carrier and aim to hold the ball.

I've had skilled games whereas both sides worked very hard to score and it was tied 1 - 1. When it came down to the end, we knew that the way to win was to hold the ball, so rather than to try and run it to the goal, we protected our carrier and made sure to pass back and run outside of harm's range. And I've had games where the opposing team successfully implemented that tactic.

It's a very valid method of winning considering the conditions of winning is given to you. If you choose not to use that method, or cannot for the lack of team participation, then that problem lies with you and your team.

Void star = First to defend wins if there is a tie.......

Holding the ball is not a valid path to win a tie game. Who cares if they went 5-0. If we CAME BACK we deserve to win.....not the team that scored 5-0 and then slacked off.......

Last score shows you played the best before the game ended......

They rolled you and went afk.. Claiming you deserve to win when going down 5-0 is weird.

They should win for going up 5-0 in that case.

Why should the team who has the ball during a tie = win? Last score should = win....

It's a problem because it encourages a team down by 1 to only play for the tie.

Consider that a team coming down the ramp to their endzone with 2 minutes left, down by 1 is best served by gathering their whole team in the endzone and taking 1:58 seconds to score. You're losing ... your goal should be to score quick, get the ball and score again, not run the clock out.

Having the ball shouldn't equal a win. That is WAY too arbitrary of a system to win a 15 minute match.

Scoring should be the only thing that matters, and in the case of a tie, the last person to score should win. Holding the ball doesn't mean a DAMN THING because people get insta gibbed and the ball swaps back and forth over and over.

Which makes for epic end of game play. Wouldn't want to encourage that.

Void star = First to defend wins if there is a tie.......

Holding the ball is not a valid path to win a tie game. Who cares if they went 5-0. If we CAME BACK we deserve to win.....not the team that scored 5-0 and then slacked off.......

Last score shows you played the best before the game ended......

or maybe they went 5-0 and then farmed you the rest of the match

It's a problem because it encourages a team down by 1 to only play for the tie.

Consider that a team coming down the ramp to their endzone with 2 minutes left, down by 1 is best served by gathering their whole team in the endzone and taking 1:58 seconds to score. You're losing ... your goal should be to score quick, get the ball and score again, not run the clock out.

Assuming said team is there just for the valor/xp bonus for winning sure. If their objective is to win for the daily then this is not true as the tiebreaker win will not count for it.

Also, if a team manages to allow the entire opposition team to stand in their endzone for 1:58 seconds then they probably deserved to lose anyway. The simple fact of the distance between spawn points would allow the team to break out unless they were playing a team that could have simply overpowered them and won anyway.

In the case of a close match with only a few seconds left this could apply, however that team would be taking the risk of perhaps not scoring due to one timely knockback/cc and thus there is a risk reward element to it to justify the strategy.

I don't see an issue with the current tie breaker in hutt ball personally, if someone wants to suggest something different such as a sudden death round that's fine.

However I dislike the idea of first team scoring or last team scoring auto winning a tie a point is just a point and that's all it should represent.

Um... no. If you deserved to win you would have taken the ball back from them at the end of the game. If anything, the team that got to 5 first should win a tie if it were to be determined that way, but I like the current mechanic better.

And Voidstar should have time to last door breached as the tiebreaker. Whoever gets there fastest wins. I'm ok with the current mechanic though. You need to get to the data core if yo want to win as the first attacker. Since defending first is such a disadvantage, I'm ok with the current system.

You still didn't answer the question of how you identified the premade.

And if holding the ball at the end is too arbitrary then so is the last score in the game. Scoring last doesn't always mean the scorers overcame a tremendous barrier, or constitutes some extra effort worthy of praise. It could have been any number of things.

I would argue that it's no different than holding the ball at the end because it still takes coordination to do so. People won't get insta-gibbed if you know the purpose at that time is to protect your carrier and aim to hold the ball.

I've had skilled games whereas both sides worked very hard to score and it was tied 1 - 1. When it came down to the end, we knew that the way to win was to hold the ball, so rather than to try and run it to the goal, we protected our carrier and made sure to pass back and run outside of harm's range. And I've had games where the opposing team successfully implemented that tactic.

It's a very valid method of winning considering the conditions of winning is given to you. If you choose not to use that method, or cannot for the lack of team participation, then that problem lies with you and your team.

How do you identify a premade? 6 out of 8 people from the same guild......is that hard for you to understand?

At a minimum, make it a TIE and give both teams a WIN for finishing with equal score. Holding the ball doesn't equate to skill or you'd get points for holding the ball. Scoring is the only thing that means anything in HUTTBALL.

I'd rather see a 2 minute overtime than a win go to the team that holds the ball. Yeah, let's try that in the Superbowl next weekend. "4th quarter, all tied up, the Giants have the ball and take a knee 4 times for the win. Grats"

:rolleyes:

Your point is completely invalid when you consider a 1-0 game, especially when one team scores first and the other scores shortly after. A match of attrition occurs after this. Why should the team who scored second win?

I support the "whoever has possession" rule for the game winner. It makes sense.

The rule suggested in the original post is no less arbitrary. Last to score in a tie? you win... no questions asked.

Now in a tie there is atleast some action to rush to claim and hold the ball. Else youd get the situation "Hey we scored a tie, its 2-2. 1min on the clock.. screw it gues, just turtle and we'll win."

Why not a sudden death mode where there are no respawns and the first to score wins.

I LOVE this idea. You'd probably have to tweak it so that the last person standing wins the round just in case everyone dies (from dots/traps).

I also support the "whoever has the ball at the end during a tie" tiebreaker.

Edited by VinnieDaMac

I LOVE this idea. You'd probably have to tweak it so that the last person standing wins the round just in case everyone dies (from dots/traps).

I also support the "whoever has the ball at the end during a tie" tiebreaker.

This is better than what we have now, winning for holding the ball is retarded. No sport in the world does this. Winning should be off score, period.

So last night we played a premade in huttball, they got out to an early 3 - 0 lead. Some how we came back, tied it up at 5-5 (we were the last to score) with 1 minute left.

We played great defense, kept them from scoring, and they win.

Why? Because they had the ball.......

Why should the team who has the ball during a tie = win? Last score should = win....

I think you meant to click the WoW launcher and clicked the SW:TOR launcher by mistake.

I think you meant to click the WoW launcher and clicked the SW:TOR launcher by mistake.

Sure, I play both games. And it makes sense in WSG as well. It would be retarded if you were tied, and someone grabbed the flag and held it to win.....

I'm all for a overtime or a 5/5 tie = TIE ......over this hold the ball = win bullcrap

How do you identify a premade? 6 out of 8 people from the same guild......is that hard for you to understand?

At a minimum, make it a TIE and give both teams a WIN for finishing with equal score. Holding the ball doesn't equate to skill or you'd get points for holding the ball. Scoring is the only thing that means anything in HUTTBALL.

I'd rather see a 2 minute overtime than a win go to the team that holds the ball. Yeah, let's try that in the Superbowl next weekend. "4th quarter, all tied up, the Giants have the ball and take a knee 4 times for the win. Grats"

6 huh? what game you playing cause you can only queue with 4.

L2math

So considering you can only queue a group of 4 (max) at a time, then apparently both their groups got into the same game? That can be a possibility, but it's far from common. People like to spout premades as something that happen all the time, when at most it's usually just 3-4 people in the same guild, and that doesn't make a full premade. So yes, I question just how much time you took to identify all the individual players to look at their guild tags. If you actually took the time to note every player's name and their guild affiliation, then I question just how much you were contributing to the game.

And it does take skill to hold the ball, and/or pass the ball in a team coordinated effort to prevent the carrier from getting killed. The fact that you failed to recognize this only shows you're not use to team play in Huttball and/or don't realize all the tactics involved in Huttball.

Your comments all point to you just being upset you lost that one game, and that it didn't go in your favor. Very few others have that issue. That's the way the mini game was designed, and people learn to adapt rather than to argue how to change the game to benefit them.

I'm willing to bet that if it was your team that were ahead 5-0, and if half your team left the ops group (for whatever reason) and allowed the other team to barely score to 5-5 and they win just because they got the last goal, you'd probably come here making another post.

Truly you can't compare a mini pvp game to the superbowl with decades of established rules and regulations. You're not being very convincing.

Edited by Lazorous

• 5 years later...