new planets and playable characters

Leeaustin

New planets? I'm sure.... when? Some time from now.

New Races? Impossible to tell...

It's an MMO. You can't expect to know things like this 1 month after launch. Things like this, if implemented take a LONG time. Even years. Though I'm sure we'll see a new planet before a year is up. I'd be surprised if not.

Edited by FooBard

But if the races are all ready in the game then surly it would not take much to add them as playable characters

Its not whether or not its difficult for BioWare to "turn on" or allow you to pick another race, its about the story line and their plans and wishes for how the story line and gameplay unfolds.

You must wait for large expansions for something like a new playable race or character. These can happen several years after a launch. Some prior MMOs got the first new race/class added a year after launch, some didnt get that until 4 or 5 years after.

If they do it the way Lotro did it, there will be. Every few months, they added dozens of quests, and also new Zones which would be the same in swtor as adding a new planet. Let's me honest: these planets are basically zones.

It would be cool if we could go to a little planet where if you travelled say west on your speeder after some time you'd end up back where you started. that would be cool. sorry to go off-topic.

when lotro put out their 1st exp pack (Moria), it was quite a considerable update, like in swtor terms, like 5-8 planets.

I thought Ryloth was going to be in the game? And Kashyyyk would be cool too. Although there is still over 15 planets i havnt explored yet so theres no rush.

As for races, im fine with my Twi'lek, i always was going to play as one since i found out the playable races, although a bigger diversity of characters would be refreshing.

• 2 months later...
Its not whether or not its difficult for BioWare to "turn on" or allow you to pick another race, its about the story line and their plans and wishes for how the story line and gameplay unfolds.

You must wait for large expansions for something like a new playable race or character. These can happen several years after a launch. Some prior MMOs got the first new race/class added a year after launch, some didnt get that until 4 or 5 years after.

what MMO didn't get new race/class till 4 or 5 years after launch???

Planets: Mustafar, Felucia, Mygeeto, Kashyyk, Yavin 4 (i know its a *********** moon), Ryloth, Mandalore

Species: Togruta, Trandoshan, Rodian, Nautolan, Wookie, Jawas, Ewoks, Devornian

there are far far more to add a well.

as you can see, there is tons and tons of content that can be expanded and added.

discuss.

If we do get new species, it will just be more humanoids and nothing else. I dont think we will ever get any exotic aliens added to the game as playable, no wookies, no rodians, just different colored humanoids.

here is a quote from an interview - (http://www.curse.com/news/star-wars-...es-wookies-and)

"You know, the reason for our humanoid range of species, it's a matter of relatability to a large degree. The further you get from human the more difficult it is for players to get into their mindset, the more difficult it is for all the other characters in the game to relate to them the same way. There are enormous technical obstacles, there is building all the lip synching, all the emotion into the face of the human is incredibly difficult and time consuming, doing that for something like a Wookiee – and we couldn't half do it, we couldn't let Wookiees be only a third as expressive as humans. At that point we're just giving up. We're building a game designed to do these things, we can't do it in half measures. Same with customising appearances. Adding one dramatically different alien, we still need as much variety as we would need for humans. Between the relatability aspect and the technical aspect it seems best to focus on what Star Wars has always done best which is people who look like us. "

on top of that, the amount of work that would be required to go back to each and every quest from lvl 1-50 and add voiced and talking content for a new race would be too costly.

and then there is the gear problem. this is a gear game, and things like wookies cannot wear gear. and trandoshans have too big feet that cannot wear boots.

here is another quote from a website -

"This theory, although exciting and rife with possibilities, has multiple problems that could prevent its implementation. Wookies and Trandoshans are largely incapable of wearing normal armor, with the Trandoshan’s large hands and feet preventing gloves and boots, and the Wookies’ general inability to wear anything but armor specifically crafted for them would distance their itemization from the rest of The Old Republic drastically. Furthermore, the Wookies’ inability to speak anything but their native tongue would present a huge communication barrier to overcome. With these limitations, and Bioware’s previous statements that the stories of Star Wars are not about being an alien but about playing a certain role would almost shut the book on this theory."

so I think we are stuck with humanoids in this game

Edited by Gammawaves

what MMO didn't get new race/class till 4 or 5 years after launch???
Slay the necromancer!

New planets, as in open=content planets, are probably a year off at least.

There are no races in the game, nor will there ever be. We might eventually gain access to new species, but that I wouldn't expect for at least a year, either.

In any case, I don't expect to see either of these until we get an expansion.

"You know, the reason for our humanoid range of species, it's a matter of relatability to a large degree. The further you get from human the more difficult it is for players to get into their mindset, the more difficult it is for all the other characters in the game to relate to them the same way. There are enormous technical obstacles, there is building all the lip synching, all the emotion into the face of the human is incredibly difficult and time consuming, doing that for something like a Wookiee – and we couldn't half do it, we couldn't let Wookiees be only a third as expressive as humans. At that point we're just giving up. We're building a game designed to do these things, we can't do it in half measures. Same with customising appearances. Adding one dramatically different alien, we still need as much variety as we would need for humans. Between the relatability aspect and the technical aspect it seems best to focus on what Star Wars has always done best which is people who look like us. "

Sounds like a "specist" if you ask me. I related to my sullustan in SWG just find thank you very much :cool: