When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay not saying the game is dieing or anything of the sort.

But the initial holiday game rush is over.

Theres just to many servers for the most part.

The game supports sharding for each zone.

So why dont you increase the caps on servers and merge them down to like half of what is currently there leaving like 30 or so ACTIVE servers that are very populated.

Increase caps so theres no ques keep zone sharding so if theres like 800 in fleet just have 3 instances with 200-300 people in each to keep it less laggy. My server has 250 prime time and its not a problem.

There is no reason not to do this.

I love when BW says "Here at BW we are all about listening to the customer and implementing the things the players want..because its YOUR game."

HAHA pretty sure we want server transfers..at least the thousands stuck on dead servers do.

Then be a part of the solution. BioWare is ramping up live character transfers (copies) to the PTS as a test bed for in-game server transfers. THEY NEED TESTERS! The more testers they have, the faster they can evaluate it. Once BW is comfortable with the system in that environment, they plan to migrate it over to the game. This IS a dev priority and a chance to put your money where your mouth is. Unless of course armchair griping is all you got.

Here is Stephen Reid's 01/26/12 podcast interview with details: http://tor-talk.com/exclusive-interview/. :D

Edited by GalacticKegger

Bleh.

11:40 GMT+2, so very early in the day, on a Monday.

Rogue Moon [EU PvE], No WZs at all, not in the L10-49 bracket, not in the L50 bracket, not even a Empire vs Empire Huttball. Whopping 15 level 50ies logged on in Empire.

The Red Eclipse [EU PvE], 1x L50 WZ, 2x L10-49 WZ. 69 level 50ies, on Republic side. (actually, Imps seem to have less L50ies, but still)

And from what I hear, Rogue Moon isn't even the worst. We do get WZs and stuff rolling later in the day, while some servers supposedly don't get any.

There's always the option of rerolling, but... L50 [Rank 61], L36 [Rank 36], L18 [Rank 18], and Legacy level of 14, nearing on 15. I'm not really paying couple months subscription just to get to the ~same state as I am on my current server, I'd rather cancel.

Hopefully something will be implemented to rectify server population imbalances, and soon.

Edited by Youmu

So why dont you increase the caps on servers and merge them down to like half of what is currently there leaving like 30 or so ACTIVE servers that are very populated.

Increase caps so theres no ques keep zone sharding so if theres like 800 in fleet just have 3 instances with 200-300 people in each to keep it less laggy. My server has 250 prime time and its not a problem.

The game might not be dying but some servers seem to be and they just need a simple merge with other low pop servers to inject some life into them.

you want to go from 100 servers to 30? that is insane.

Tot Doneeta could use an influx of new player... I dont really have any problems with getting groups for pve content due to an extensive friendslist/good guild, but it's sad to see between 5 and 20 ppl in fleet at primetime. We mostly have around 20-25 level 50's on in primetime and half of them are usually from my guild.

Starting zones vary from 9-25 players. I dont think we have reached the 50 for any give zone.

The server is mostly light with an occasion to hit standard for a short time in prime time.

PVP ques are long and most of them wont pop when we are doing operations due to most 50's are raiding with us.

Ilum is about the same as the good old node farming, unless there is a group of imperials trying to farm too. In that case they usually outnumber us 2v1. (3v6 orso :p)

The GTM is dead. No need to check it for anything, if you want stuff, let a guildie make it, or get the skill yourself.

But still i oppose cross server queing, i rather have a sever merger. At least atm we know what players are braindead and what can be taught stuff :p

Check us out on Tot Doneeta, roll alts there, it's the perfect single player server. No fighting over spawns, nobody to annoy you, and bring friends if you ever want to do a FP ^_^

Why not? Clearly some of 100+ servers feel incredibily empty but ofcourse EA won't allow this because this would feel like negative press.

I think this is the whole issue. It's a PR nightmare to have to admit they got it wrong. They cling on to their own PR spin of 'growth' and believe or are just plain kidding themselves that those servers are going to fill up.

I'm not going to level a new character from scratch because BW don't want to lose face and admit a few servers need merging.

Edited by Xerda

Just wondering if you were one of those that at the start were qq about more servers due to queues, cos i see this in ever other mmo i been on, ppl qq cos they are in a queue for 30mins ( 1st 2 weeks of a new MMO) and demand more servers and then 1month later they qq that the servers are empty and they wanna merge cos the servers are empty ( not saying this is you, just saying its all very common ).

Dont forget servers merge are a nightmare , we may not think its all very easy but theres are character names, guild etc... dont think you will see server merge for at least 3months+

The problem is faction imbalance- not low population per ce. You have 5:1 Imperial to Republic... for argument sake... well merging those a couple servers isn't going to change that fact and while Republic might have healthy population... Imperial side will be a nightmare and queues will start up again.

It'll take a significant exodus of players... over a 45-90 day period of time before any kind of merger would be considered.

Also- consider this: I bought a 90 day sub. I'm 2 weeks into it and decide I made a bad decision and opt to go elsewhere. So far as AE/BW is concerned... they have my money... I'm still an active sub until at least 30 days go by... maybe even my whole term. So officially I'm not gone until the end of March?

My decision not to play... contributes to the appearance of a low population... but the hard numbers don't change for quite a while yet. Until they do... (not me specifically) but I don't see AE/BW making a policy change.

Edited by Dharst

Im scared by the sheer level fo whineing here, its actualy driving away players and potental players. Its this sort of behaviour that does more damage to a game then anything, crying just to be devas and mary-sues.

You try playing on a dead server. You'll understand why we're being vocal about it. The argument "you're complaining just to be a diva" is amazingly disingenuous and completely moronic. Go back under your bridge.

Im scared by the sheer level fo whineing here, its actualy driving away players and potental players. Its this sort of behaviour that does more damage to a game then anything, crying just to be devas and mary-sues.

Don't be no one takes this seriously.

Then be a part of the solution. BioWare is ramping up live character transfers (copies) to the PTS as a test bed for in-game server transfers. THEY NEED TESTERS! The more testers they have, the faster they can evaluate it. Once BW is comfortable with the system in that environment, they plan to migrate it over to the game. This IS a dev priority and a chance to put your money where your mouth is. Unless of course armchair griping is all you got.

Here is Stephen Reid's 01/26/12 podcast interview with details: http://tor-talk.com/exclusive-interview/. :D

I and many others were part of the solution when we beta tested this game and virtually nothing changed for release, nor a month after.

It is a fine argument to say pitch in and help but we're all doing that by buying the game and subscribing still others pitched in when they beta tested.

BW could do their part and not make us feel like we wasted our time. I certainly feel like that now playing what is nearly identical to the beta I tested 4+ months ago.

Standard means nothing, my server is standard and its still a hard task to get groups together due to lack of players.

There's also a huge number from low standard to high standard. What the range is, I don't know, but the "standard" server I left was an East Coast one, where at 8:30pm EST on any given day would have 55-60 level 50's online. I know other "standard" servers would have half that.

I re-rolled toons on a West Coast server, and at 8:30 AM (not PM) west coast time (11:30 am EST), this server would be bordering between Standard and Heavy (this was a weekend - this past Saturday), and the number of 50's was in the 250 range.

I judge servers by the number of 50's, because on my "old" server I had a level 50 jugger tank, and liked to PvP (but not hardcore about it, especially with how this game's PvP is set up). My old standard server would, during prime time, have 1 to 2 hour waits some nights for a queue to pop. And I never saw a battle on Ilum greater than 5v3, nor more than 16 people total (empire) on the planet at once.

This new server I rolled on - during East Coast prime time (on a West Coast server) - would have easily 60 level 50's in warzones, and 50+ level 50's on Ilum.

And that's not even talking about when it hit West Coast prime time and hit very heavy per the server status page.

Low pop servers are not fun, espeically when it's 10:30pm EST on an East Coast server, and there are 47 level 50's on, but only ONE healer.

BW did not create too many servers. The queues were terrible and the wait times were unacceptable. The camping of mobs and rampant kill stealing was intolerable. BW did what they had to do in order to attract and maintain customers. My server still maintains a high population and there are always people around. The worlds are huge and people are spread out or in different instances. A future release of a LFG tool should alleviate the problem of not finding groups. Also try joining an active guild that fits your play style.

Clearly they did.

It is similar to a new restaurant or some store opening up in a city. The first few weeks are going to be jam packed with people trying to get in.

So it opening 2 stores in the same area the proper solution? No, because after a few weeks there will be absolutely no need for two of them.

This is what they did with the servers. The created a ton of servers just because of a 2 week rush. Now, there is no rush and a lot of the servers are empty.

Clearly, not all of them are like that, so yes yours may be perfectly fine... but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

My server, Thana Vesh, is absolutely empty. PVP half the time ends up being my guild vs itself. Or fighting against the same people every single night. Or 6 vs 6 because there aren't enough people on the server to do a single full pvp group.

It is near impossible to find anyone running FPs. You could sit at the fleet for hours and see hardly anyone looking for high level FP.

So, they need to:

a) Merge some servers

b) Allow us to transfer to a server of our choice

Telling me to reroll is a lame solution.

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

Why do people keep saying this, you guys have no idea what your talking about, your probably basing this off one of the 8-15 light servers during prime hours.

I did a tally just before prime hours on friday (4 pm western) there were 4 very heavy servers , 57 heavy servers, 9 light severs and the rest were standard.

Another thing you have to take into account is 2 weeks after launch they doubled the server size of all servers. So a full server with a queue would have become a standard server at that time. A heavy server now would be a server with a queue of 500+.

With that in mind alot of the servers have actually grown since launch, there wasnt 60+ servers with queue's at launch, now if we had the same max server populations as we did at launch we would. Maybe they should have just been lazy and kept all the servers with queue's so you guys wouldnt complain so much. Oh wait nevermind the forums represent a very very small fraction of the userbase, and the people who are on the 8-15 light servers also represent a very very small fraction of the userbase (not that they should be neglected) as long as SWtor shows signs of growing in BW internal server statistics mergers wont happen as they expect those light and some of the lower standard servers to gradually fill up.

Even right now at less than primetime hours on a monday, there is 20 ish heavy 16 light and the rest standard.

Just wait till 6-7pm western times comes around there will be 50 or so heavy - very heavy servers.

Edited by Samborino

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

People keep asking this, the answer will be when BW is going to admit the game is a bust. So if you think that is going to be anytime soon, you get ready for mergers. If you realize that BW can't do that 2 months in, gets to re rolling. People can argue all they want, that's what it's down to. BW isn't going take the press hit from server merger, you can say empty servers are bad but no one knows. Merging servers lets everyone know. Not happening anytime soon. Quit or re roll, those are your options.

A couple of days ago, on US Prime Time, the server JUYO had 8 players on Quesh.

Juyo is dead lol, 100 players on republic fleet at best, 30 on tatooine, 20 on alderan...

Dead server is dead.

Quesh is the shortest planet, doesnt matter the server pop you never see that many people there.

Go log on wow and look at the levelling zones, there all dead youd be lucky to see 30 people on any of them except for the higher level planets and where people are farming nodes. Even in WOTLK when i was farming nodes on any of the high level zones during prime time id be lucky to see 2-3 other people as i was circling the whole zone. Swtor is still way way better than this. You go to dromund kaas or coruscant on my server coru usually has 80-100 ppl and dromund kaas has 300+ , even last night at 2 am taris have 50 people there. You would never see that in wow beyond the first couple weeks of launch, never.

Why do people keep saying this, you guys have no idea what your talking about,

u have no idea what u r talking about,

during our primary time(GMT+8)

there is only 2x ppl on the fleet,

that is ridiculous,

if BW dont provide cross-server LFG LFD,

then at least provide free server transfer,

otherwise we will cancel our sub,

BTW i already did that.