Its refreshing that there is no achivement system on this game.

HotSoupy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I realized how annoying it was to have some meaningless pop up, when i was expecting one and it didn't happen. Thank you, and please don't ruin this. you've(bioware/EA) got the potential for a good long run product here.

Achievements give people something else to do. A single player, run thru once and quit type game doesn't need this, an long term, play forever type MMO game does.

It does give replay value, something for people to strive for even if it is a grind.

I like having a set of stats and accomplishments. I would appreciate knowing how many droids I have killed for example. I would like an idea of how many miles I have ran. Maybe I should go boot up GTA4 :p.

Still, is this meaningless (for you) pop up for a few seconds really that annoying?

umm, there are achievements in this game

This. They are just not as intuitive as other games. I like achievements and hate them at the same time. When they become bragging rights I think they are disruptive. I've seen achievement "groups" in wow break up guilds. When they are just fun and fluff I don't mind them. Like pre-raid achievements in Rift were fun.

It really seems to cheapen the gaming experience and when that happens you will lose some of the serious players, which aids in removing a social pillar in games society.

Take WoW as an example, they seemed to throw it in to attract just that kind of casual gamer. That occurred after the game had a great run for years. Now its just a propped up shell of gamers who wish they had something better to play.

I realized how annoying it was to have some meaningless pop up, when i was expecting one and it didn't happen. Thank you, and please don't ruin this. you've(bioware/EA) got the potential for a good long run product here.

It's basic psychology. People enjoy randomly given rewards alot more than ones given to them as payment for a task.

I agree with OP. It stinks having to keep playing a game forever just to get a bunch of meaningless achievements. I like to just get to max level and be done with it.

If they're meaningless to you, why would you keep playing the game forever just to get them?

Codex is nothing more than a badly designed achievement system other people can't even see.

No... It's more like an encyclopedia for the player to reference for info. The only thing in the game I could see being called achievements, are titles. But even that's not quite the same.

Edited by DarrkLore

It's basic psychology. People enjoy randomly given rewards alot more than ones given to them as payment for a task.

Diminishing marginal utility will come into to play, I like hamburgers; I might even like 2, 3, maybe 4 hamburgers, but at some point I no longer derive utility from a hamburger.

It's the same concept. Flippantly handing out a menial rewards will not result in a enjoyable end. We are talking long run here.

If they're meaningless to you, why would you keep playing the game forever just to get them?

Because they give points and you need points to win. The Codex is better to ignore because it just has to do with reading and nobody likes reading.

Achievements are one of the things that TOR is missing in a big way. They are goals the player can chase on their own time, and work toward.

I don't like some of the ridiculous and random ones Blizzard does in WoW, but having the fanfare of achieving something similar to that when you level up - but more often - is pretty fun.

Except that... yeah, there are achievements... :p

Debatable. But there i definitely not an achievement system in place.

Just because it's labeled "Achievement:" doesn't mean it's part of a system. What separates it from a regular Codex entry other than that? No multi-step achievements. No points. Nothing.

The is a weird player base. So many people want nothing to do with anything that might be used to measure progress or performance.

"I don't want achievements. Someone might ask me if I have XYZ achievement."

"I don't want DPS meters. Someone might make fun of me or kick me for having low DPS."

While I get there are a bunch of people that act like jerks in MMOs and live to put others down, isn't it 'healthy' to have ways of measuring how you are doing in an MMO? A lot of people play to progress and develop their character. They want to be able to see real progress. What's wrong with having ways to measure that?

''...whisp gearscore and achievement-or no invite''...

BioWare you have done a great job of not including the above concepts into the equation. Be sure to keep up the good work.

So, what is stopping someone from asking you: "Have you killed Karagga?" Will you lie to get in the group?

The achievement system or gear score has absolutely nothing to do with the judgment that comes along with them. Achievements especially should be a much larger feature in this game.

If you're tired of answering "no", then perhaps you should go earn the achievement with a group of friends in a guild - you know, the way MMOs should be played - with people.

Edited by Lethality

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.