The Travel System Is Severely Hurting The Gameplay!

Landara

Basically you know there is something wrong with a travel system when people prefer a 20 min AFK journey to make pointlessly dragged out shorter journeys.

No, it just mean some folks will complain about what ever is different in SWOTR over WoW. Literally travel time can be a fraction of what it is in WoW and folks will pretend it is better in WoW.

Bioware could mail gold bars to SWTOR players and some folks would complain that WoW gave them an in-game Pony instead and why was Bioware lacking. Nevermind with that gold bar you could buy a real life pony!

Edited by Surakis

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have decided to make the hyperspace transport so easy and quick, why bother to make on-planet transport so redundant? I would rather make it the opposite, so I can enjoy a fabulous galaxy panorama view watching my ship traveling past galaxya nebula instead of the loading screen. Here are my suggestions.

(1) When entering a spaceport from local map, if there is no mission or so related, simply prompt (like an elevator menu) for 'Enter Ship' or 'Enter Spaceport' or 'Back to planet'. When leaving your ship, same menu prompts for 'Land on planet' or 'Spaceport' or 'Back to ship' if no mission related. If there are quests available in the spaceport, you can show a triangle icon on the menu.

(2) Perform the map loading when you instruct a planet/fleet destination with your ship galaxy map, and display the above-mentioned 'fly through the galaxy' things while you load the map. As for space mission and class mission, just skip everything.

At least for (1), it should make a huge difference by skipping the spaceport traveling for locations you have absolutely on use already.

Edited by Hologramx

Since, according to BW, this is now the main travel system thread, I'm going to bump it to bring it some more attention.

To all the people saying the travel makes it feel more real or fun... It's star wars, and a video game, nothing can be further from real, absolutely nothing, unless you add unicorns...or quadracorns.

Here's my take on the travel system at the moment:

I love walking/riding through zones just to have to go through a spaceport, click on an elevator, go up the elevator, run all the way to my ship which is oddly really far out into the dock, click on the galaxy map, fly to another planet, exit the ship, run to the elevator which is also oddly really far out, go down the elevator, then run all the way to a point at which I can ride a speeder that goes 20 mph to get to my destination.

Oh man, and how about those quests where you have to go back to kaas at level 30-50? Those are the greatest. Having to walk/ride through my zone to go to the spaceport, click on the elevator, go up the elevator, run all the way to my ship which is oddly really far out, click on the galaxy map, fly to kaas, exit my ship, run to the elavator, go up the elevator, run outside to the speeder which goes 20mph, take the speeder to south kaas city, be forced to run/ride up to the flyer that takes you to the quest area that you need to go to, do the quest, run back to the flyer, fly it back to northern kaas city, run/ride all the way down to the lower kaas city speeder, take the speeder that goes 20mph to the spaceport, run all the way to the elevator, take the elevator down, run all the way out to my ship which is oddly far out, enter the ship, run to my galaxy map, go back to the planet I was on, exit the ship, run to the elevator which is oddly far away, go down the elevator, and run all the way to where I can take a speeder back to where I originially was.

I'm obviously not being sarcastic.

I agree with the OP. Travelling is my least favorite aspect of the game.

Some fixes, some of which have already been mentioned:

1) Allow the quick travel shuttle to take you directly to your ship.

1a) or better yet, give an ability on it's on cool down that works just like the quick travel but only takes you to your ship

2) I agree about getting rid of the orbital stations. Or at least, only make us go through them once.

3) Speeders

3a) First, for the love of God and all that is Holy, PLEASE increase speeder "speeds," at the very least increase the lvl 40 speeders. There's no reason to pay 210,000cr for a 20% speed increase. There's almost no noticeable difference.

3b) Please allow speeders to work in spaceports. If you're gonna' make us run through the whole, boring, empty spaceport, at LEAST let us ride our speeders through it.

I mean, even just putting a quick travel station next to your ship in the hangar would be a start. But yeah, the "terribleness" of traveling makes me want to unsubscribe.

Since, according to BW, this is now the main travel system thread, I'm going to bump it to bring it some more attention.

To all the people saying the travel makes it feel more real or fun... It's star wars, and a video game, nothing can be further from real, absolutely nothing, unless you add unicorns...or quadracorns.

Here's my take on the travel system at the moment:

I love walking/riding through zones just to have to go through a spaceport, click on an elevator, go up the elevator, run all the way to my ship which is oddly really far out into the dock, click on the galaxy map, fly to another planet, exit the ship, run to the elevator which is also oddly really far out, go down the elevator, then run all the way to a point at which I can ride a speeder that goes 20 mph to get to my destination.

Oh man, and how about those quests where you have to go back to kaas at level 30-50? Those are the greatest. Having to walk/ride through my zone to go to the spaceport, click on the elevator, go up the elevator, run all the way to my ship which is oddly really far out, click on the galaxy map, fly to kaas, exit my ship, run to the elavator, go up the elevator, run outside to the speeder which goes 20mph, take the speeder to south kaas city, be forced to run/ride up to the flyer that takes you to the quest area that you need to go to, do the quest, run back to the flyer, fly it back to northern kaas city, run/ride all the way down to the lower kaas city speeder, take the speeder that goes 20mph to the spaceport, run all the way to the elevator, take the elevator down, run all the way out to my ship which is oddly far out, enter the ship, run to my galaxy map, go back to the planet I was on, exit the ship, run to the elevator which is oddly far away, go down the elevator, and run all the way to where I can take a speeder back to where I originially was.

I'm obviously not being sarcastic.

What is really sad about this post is...you forgot to mention the airlocks and the orbital stations....:(

And the fact that class quests have you doing that trek 2,3 sometimes 4 times nonstop

:eek:

Once on the planet we could contact our ship once per hour and have one of our companions come pick us up in a shuttle and take us back directly to our ship.....also once per hour we could leave our ship in our shuttle and have it take us to one of the stations that we have bound.....this feature counts as the one hour timer so if we are taken to a spot we cannot be picked up again for one more hour.

Feature......our space level would determine how quickly the companion can pilot the shuttle to us and pick us up.....level 1 might take a minute.....level 10 might take 10 seconds.....etc....incentive for increasing our piloting.

A few of these steps could be eliminated to make the running time shorter but......

I would advocate the actual flight time from planet to planet be stretched out to a minute up to 2 minutes based upon distance....ie the fuel cost.

This would give us time to go to the bathroom, make a phone call....get a drink or work on our cargo hold etc.

Reduce steps in running and increase travel time along with shuttle pick up or delivery once per hour would drastically make for a more pleasurable experience for all.

Edited by Daawg

Actually you aren't travelling, relative to your chair.

Travel is fine, once you get a fleet pass. Part of the story happens in the airlocks and hangers.

All the complaining about space combat on rails and here you're griping about non-space travel not being on rails.

Oh gee, you actually have to play the game. Too bad, so sad.:p

I dont see the point of getting rid of space staions, just let them pass if you like. My ship has 2 door beside the main door. Why isn't one of them lead to a small drop ship. I click on it and it brings me to a binding point on the surface. my ship just remain in orbit. When i want to get back i click a skill with a descent but not too long cd and it brings me back. That way you can pass some loading screens, running around for nothing time and it feels more "spaceiger"

That whole fleet pass thing is just a bad workaround in my opinion that doesen't make any sense even.

Edited by Devoter

This is without a doubt one of the major factors to why this game feels like a singleplayer game with an MMO sticker on it.

This is hurting the game more than most think, and I think I can safely say that I've neglected helping guildies with certain tasks solely due to having to put off 10-15min of travelling ONE WAY. In a way it is dampening the social aspect of the game by a lot.

Tldr: You should be able to get to your main hub within a reasonable time, at all times.

Suggestions:

1. Airlocks and orbital stations should be optional.

2. Quick Travel should give you the option to return to the fleet.

3. Sprint should be granted when choosing an advanced class.

4. Fleet passes should be removed or adjusted to 1h CD. (Unless QT is changed)

so we will clamber out and then - loading screen

I love how on my i3 dual core with an ATI 6850 video card it takes 2-3 minutes to load onto a planet.

2-3 minutes, for real? I know it's slow, but man, you oughta consider a new HDD.

I'm running a 10000rpm raptor and generally the planets take anywhere from 10-20 seconds. Which is still slow, in my opinion.

2-3 minutes, for real? I know it's slow, but man, you oughta consider a new HDD.

I'm running a 10000rpm raptor and generally the planets take anywhere from 10-20 seconds. Which is still slow, in my opinion.

The computer I have is less then a year old.

It cant' be my computer - WoW loading screens take about 25-30 seconds.

Actually you aren't travelling, relative to your chair.

Travel is fine, once you get a fleet pass. Part of the story happens in the airlocks and hangers.

All the complaining about space combat on rails and here you're griping about non-space travel not being on rails.

Oh gee, you actually have to play the game. Too bad, so sad.:p

Travel is not fine or this thread would not have been started...

25-30 seconds is actually very long.

Either way you should consider defragemnting your harddrive or getting a new one. I'm guessing you're stuck with som 5200rpm junk.

Oh, and it's most likely your HDD alone at fault here mate. (They are cheap to replace these days aswell.)

Travel is not fine or this thread would not have been started...

'and continued the way it did.

Like you said, there's a reason they have to recreate the thread due to post limits. And having read the majority of the posts I'd say the airlock-huggers are vastly outnumbered.

This is not WoW and thus should not expect it to be anything like WoW. Yes travel and loading screens suck. Give them time to fix things like this I am positive they will integrate more systems into the game in the future to solve these problems. Keep whining don't worry it will happen :) Thats if bioware lives up to their boasting about doing what the players want and need.