New IA - operative or sniper?

FaToxic

Hi,

just hit 10 with my IA and am atm unsure which of the advanced class to take. I've got some TOR experience, played the game since beta and got a 47 commando (on ice till there's a server transfer option).

Initially I wanted to go sniper (Marksmanship looked quite apealing) but after reading the sniper forums I'm not quite sure about it anymore. Plenty of 'Our class sucks threads' and so on :rolleyes: Is it possible to play the sniper competentive or should I go oprative?

Operative, on the other side, seems to have more variety in their role. I liked the possibility to be able to heal flashpoints or groupquests, but not exactly sure about the other specs. Concealment got nerfed last patch, and I have no idea how competentive Lethality is.

I'd welcome any feedback and suggestions from follow agents (how the classes play, hwo they compete in PVE/PVP, ...). Thanks!

I am in the exact same situation as you - 47 merc on ice cos my server is too dead, and I started a sith assassin but it doesn't really fit my playstyle, so now I'm looking towards IA, guess glowsticks aren't my thing.

From what I've been reading, sniper sports a similar playstyle to merc/commando, which is bad for people like us cos we've experienced the ******ery of merc/commando. Also read that cover is very broken.

Stealthing is pretty fun, so I guess I am gonna make an operative now, gonna see how that goes.

if you're familiar with wow:

sniper=hunter (dps only)

operative=rogue/heals (dps/healer)

ive lvled sniper 10-25 as marksman (single target style), 26-40 as engineer (more aoe oriented). i feel if u stick to one tree the whole time it gets boring, so i tend to switch it up from time to time.

Dont listen to anything in this forums, Ive never seen so much whiners at one place in any game ever before. Its kinda like no one here evencares about knowing his class or the game, they just come here and complain every time they get killed by a mob or an enemy player.

If you want real info, go look up a real ToR-Forum. If you want a link, pn me.

Go operative, sniper is only dps and not much else. And dps alone doesn't win wz matches.

This is wrong. Snipers have tremendous CC at range, and when commanding high ground in a wz they can control entire swaths of the board. Don't listen to anyone who rags on Snipers, they likely don't know **** about the class.

If you want to heal, go Op. If you want to kill from a distance go Sniper. It's a playstyle decision. Both plenty viable.

Personally, i'd go operative.

Having played sniper in the beta I had a late change of heart when live and rolled Operative, this was mainly for the healing spec as I assumed, quite rightly, this would be in massive demand.

Having done all flashpoints up to Red Reaper and most 4 man world Heroics I would say its not an "easy mode" healer but certainly viable and the class mechanics make it very engaging. I heard from a guildmate it can be tough healing some of the Hardmode content if your group consists of just melee DPS, but aside from that its fine. In my opinion Op healing will have a tweak in the near future as 2 of our main heals (including the 31 point skill) are kind of underwhelming/useless.

The other bonus is you have a very high burst melee stealth tree in concealment and a close-mid range DoT damage skirmisher build with lethality, although I did find the lethality tree to be slightly underwhelming for PvE content, perhaps it shines in PvP or endgame PvE.

Still, if you want a true ranged DPS class, are not fussed with a lack of a support tree and/or don't like stealth classes. A sniper is for you.

Hope this helps.

Edited by StyjoStychi

1. MMO's will ALWAYS need healers

2. See rule #1

3. Having the option to either heal or DPS or both together grants a lot more flexibility for you while leveling up, in WZ's, in Flashpoints, in end game.. just overall. A simple respec and you're a healer.. boom!

4. Ops do darn good DPS, and in fact, until this nerf or the upcoming nerf.. whatever it is/whenever it hits, Ops were doing insane damage in PvP.. besting the Sniper.. and I think, everyone else too?

5. If you go Ops.. you can heal and DPS.. and do both VERY well. If you go Sniper, you can only DPS..go read the Sniper threads about the cover mechanic.. maybe that'll help push you towards Ops.

/Sniper..wishes I went Ops instead

I think in the end it will depend on which play style suits you better. However, I've found I've died a lot less and done a lot more damage (handling encounters better) with a sniper, than I ever did with operative. They seem to handle PvE better, if you can get used to, and enjoy, the cover system. Edited by ProsaicProse