Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Will SwtoR run on my 47" 1080 phillips TV?

Dmartelli

Hi here are the stats for my rig, i wanna know if i will be able to play this game on max settings hooked up to a 47" 1080p phillips TV:

AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more)

[CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

PLease say yes lmao. i think it would be incredible to play on a big screen @ max settings! Goodbye social-life if it does hahaha.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question really is "can my computer use this TV as a monitor?" The answer isn't related to the game in any way.

Well yea my question in reality was basically whether or not my video card and pc would be powerful enough to run a game like SwtoR on a 1080p Tv. It is hdmi supported and it is related to the game in the lines that the main reason i want to know is solely to play this game on the TV.

Well yea my question in reality was basically whether or not my video card and pc would be powerful enough to run a game like SwtoR on a 1080p Tv. It is hdmi supported and it is related to the game in the lines that the main reason i want to know is solely to play this game on the TV.

the size of the TV does not matter...

Hi here are the stats for my rig, i wanna know if i will be able to play this game on max settings hooked up to a 47" 1080p phillips TV:

AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more)

[CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

PLease say yes lmao. i think it would be incredible to play on a big screen @ max settings! Goodbye social-life if it does hahaha.

TVs have crap resolutions, so yeah, it'll run fine.

TVs have crap resolutions, so yeah, it'll run fine.

1080 is 1080.

You do know there is almost no difference between a monitor and a TV these days, right? Basically a TV just has a remote, more menu options and a channel tuner. Display-wise, however, they are the same thing.

A digital receiver is essentially just a very stripped down computer.

Edited by Syylara

As long as your vid card support 1920 x 1080 resolution, AKA 1080p, then sure.

However do not use HDMI as the image will not be as clear as it could be.

Use a VGA cable with an Audio connection or use the DisplayPort connection if you have one.

I use my 55" Samsung like this sometimes.

It doesn't matter how powerful your video card and PC are. Either you can use a TV as a monitor, or you can't.

Again, whether you can do that or not has nothing to do with the game. I'm not trying to accuse you of being off-topic or anything (though, well, you are, but that wasn't the point), just saying that the only thing that's important here is whether your video card supports an output format that's compatible with your TV.

Use a VGA cable with an Audio connection or use the DisplayPort connection if you have one.

misinformation. use hdmi. you cannot get 1080p with vga. only 720p

Oh thanks. I will look into that!

Wat?

You'd rather use VGA than HDMI?!

Oh, I see your problem :9.

I use my 47" Vizio all the time to play. It depends on your video card. Also the picture is not as good as a monitor, I have to mess with the color and brightness to get it to look right then change it back when I watch TV. It will only work if you duplicate your monitor and not as a dual monitopr setup. When I switch it to dual monitor it gets really choppy and does not work well. You may be able to do dual with a really nice high end card though.

Correct me if im wrong but why would you downgrade the hdmi signal (digital) to VGA (analog) and claim higher quality?

Its a 1080p tv no doubt, which is 1920x1080 res no matter the size of the screen. Your 47" tv would work the same as my 24" 1080p monitor I use in my room. Although, the bigger the screen the more pixelated it can be. So you are going to have to sit back farther when you play.

Enjoy. :)

No, I doubt you could run it. I wouldn't even try. Don't worry about it.

You see, your graphics card lacks the bits to interface with the TVs bits. Computers use bits that are mapped to 0 and 1. Whereas a TV uses bits that are mapped to 1 and 2. Attempting to connect your graphics card to the TV would cause the bits to collide in unexpected ways. In fact, the collision could cause physical ramifications.

If you are going to attempt it, then for god's sake, have a fire extinguisher on hand.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.