The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

To old school pvpers; were the nerf callers this abundant at the beginning of SWG/WOW

Chiricahua

I read about how the devs nerfed SWG and WoW near the beginning. Were the nerf callers pretty thick back then too? I said alright about the nerf call for Operative, even though I wasn't 100% behind it. I knew that would be the first of many, and it would snow ball from there.

I was checking the WoW forums the other day, and I was tempted to take a screen capture of the pvp forums from both games and paste them next to each other and load it up to photobucket.

The QQ and complaints are literally the same in both games. People just like to think it's better in one or the other, much like people pick teams to cheer on.

I read about how the devs nerfed SWG and WoW near the beginning. Were the nerf callers pretty thick back then too? I said alright about the nerf call for Operative, even though I wasn't 100% behind it. I knew that would be the first of many, and it would snow ball from there.

Erm, not really - there were lots of calls for bugs to be fixed (we were ignored) - bugs which made some classes have exponentially increasing damage...

And other problems.. but really - nerfs - weren't the hugest issue - except for maybe CM at the start - but that was primary a PVE problem with claiming mobs.

Some classes were silly strong in SWG, but - mostly as bugs weren't ever addressed, since it is easier just to ignore the playerbase and do whatever you want.

They even made instructional videos back in the day

That Queen music is just terrible. Good group, but that's probably their worst song. Rogues were never a problem for me.

Famous nerf caller statement: "The sun was in my eyes and I wasn't expecting it. There needs to be a server rollback so I can go again."

That Queen music is just terrible. Good group, but that's probably their worst song. Rogues were never a problem for me.

Famous nerf caller statement: "The sun was in my eyes and I wasn't expecting it. There needs to be a server rollback so I can go again."

most rogues were terrible back then, why bother learning your class when you can just stunlock 99% of your enemies to death. Like he said no good rogue needed all their cooldowns.

I find it hilarious when "beginning of WoW" is considered "old school". I don't even want to know what that makes me, when I can clearly remember pre-UO times.

And to answer the question - yes, absolutely.

To give you a WoW example - there were videos of naked level 60 rogues, using level 1 gray quality (lowest, junk item) items and killing fully geared level 60 warriors. That called for an obvious nerf.

Another example - when WoW came out there was no diminishing returns on CC at all. Warlock spell Fear had no cooldown, sent you running for 12 seconds, didn't break on damage. In other words, if a warlock cast that on you, and your trinket was on cooldown, that was it. You would die never getting back control of your character. Again, this led to obvious nerfs - fear breaking on damage, having diminishing returns, etc.

Eventually full blown diminishing returns system was added. And much later different abilities from different classes were merged into same category.

In retrospect, SWTOR PvP out of the box is SIGNIFICANTLY better than WoW PvP was a year after release. Those who say otherwise just don't remember. To give you an example - a year after release, Fall 2005, a "Hunter review patch" was released. It added ******* Wrath. What it did was give the pet huge damage boost, and make it immune to all CC for 30 seconds. In other words, a mage 5 levels above me attacks my hunter? I hit ******* Wrath. And keep doing what I'm doing. In about 20-30 seconds, I would get a message saying I got a PvP kill. There was NOTHING a clothie could do, nothing at all. Eventually they nerfed damage and duration, but for 3-5 months Hunters pretty much rocked everyone below plate.

Bioware, SO FAR, has avoided this kind of crap. I just hope they can keep it up.

EDIT: What the deuce? I can't say ******* Wrath?! What's wrong with that?! Fourteen million players played a game rated T where ******* Wrath is not censored. You fellows need to buy some new panties, ones that are not quite so tight, I think they're cutting off the circulation to your brain.

Edited by Sabbathius

I find it hilarious when "beginning of WoW" is considered "old school".

LoL thought the same. Considering I started with "pvp" and "mmo" in old text MUDs. The best part about the pvp back then, was full corpse looting, that removed carebears from pvp more or less.

Edited by Dalnar

I find it hilarious when "beginning of WoW" is considered "old school". I don't even want to know what that makes me, when I can clearly remember pre-UO times.

And to answer the question - yes, absolutely.

To give you a WoW example - there were videos of naked level 60 rogues, using level 1 gray quality (lowest, junk item) items and killing fully geared level 60 warriors. That called for an obvious nerf.

Another example - when WoW came out there was no diminishing returns on CC at all. Warlock spell Fear had no cooldown, sent you running for 12 seconds, didn't break on damage. In other words, if a warlock cast that on you, and your trinket was on cooldown, that was it. You would die never getting back control of your character. Again, this led to obvious nerfs - fear breaking on damage, having diminishing returns, etc.

Eventually full blown diminishing returns system was added. And much later different abilities from different classes were merged into same category.

In retrospect, SWTOR PvP out of the box is SIGNIFICANTLY better than WoW PvP was a year after release. Those who say otherwise just don't remember. To give you an example - a year after release, Fall 2005, a "Hunter review patch" was released. It added ******* Wrath. What it did was give the pet huge damage boost, and make it immune to all CC for 30 seconds. In other words, a mage 5 levels above me attacks my hunter? I hit ******* Wrath. And keep doing what I'm doing. In about 20-30 seconds, I would get a message saying I got a PvP kill. There was NOTHING a clothie could do, nothing at all. Eventually they nerfed damage and duration, but for 3-5 months Hunters pretty much rocked everyone below plate.

Bioware, SO FAR, has avoided this kind of crap. I just hope they can keep it up.

I think in a lot of ways you describe a large part of the problem. Resolve in its current form does not effect all abilities despite the obvious cc involved in them. If they would all just be added to it there would be no problem and very little 'stunlock'

The best part about MUD was that you didn't care much about gear. Because if you did, you would rage quit every session lol. But it was always sweet to kill some hoarder and split their loot...only to loose it next day again hehe.

In swg commandos were nerfed within the first couple of weeks. As the game was sandbox people could mix and match profs therefore the whining continued once the next fotm template was established. The player base however was nowhere near as QQ-ready as this one. Probably due to the wow kids soiling this game tbh

edit: What the deuce? I can't say ******* wrath?! What's wrong with that?! Fourteen million players played a game rated t where ******* wrath is not censored. You fellows need to buy some new panties, ones that are not quite so tight, i think they're cutting off the circulation to your brain.

i loled