If SWTOR was a new car

Oldbuster

WE: We all agree literally that the game has glitches, bugs, and level 7's on illum autoclicking.

Them: We're finally stepping up to the plate and admitting it will take 6 months to Iron out and rewrite the code to make heroengine run on more then 1 thread.

Me: Good luck ! 6

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Plain and simple, MMO's are the furthest thing from new cars as you can get. The MMO industry standard do NOT have the same standards and regulations as the car industry. Pretty poor analogy, and shows the ignorance of the OP.

That being said, the industry standard for MMOs, is that not everything has to be 150% for release to be successful. You kids keep comparing every MMO in the last 7 years to WoW, but yet you forget to mention the busted *** car WoW was at launch. Instead, WoW has taken the last 7 years to fine tune their machine, bringing you the beast we all know today. Unfortunately, like everything after 7 years, and I do mean everything... folks get burnt out.

Time for change is necessary. SWTOR is that change for me, and I could give a rats *** if you stay or go. Bioware will follow through, we've all played and loved their games of past and I have faith they will deliver the fine tuning this game needs.

TL;DR if you're ******* on the forums for any reason, you're either a fanboy of WoW, or too impatient to give BW a chance to dev this game into the monster it can be.

I’m concerned people honesty believe the OP has compared a computer game to a physical car. Especially….

Did OP say that if I buy a new car and I can't rearrange the dash I should be able to get a different car?

And I’ll field that question. No. She/he made an analogy. My jaw literally fell off. LITERALLY!!

Given that the MMO's genre is not new and Bioware has entered into the world of MMO's with SWTOR as its flagship IP.

I hear a lot of talk from people making representations on how it's hard to make a MMO and there are always glitches and problems, and the devs will sort it out eventually.

The computer industry must be the only industry where the customer base accepts faults with products

I raise this:

If Bioware was a new car company entering in to the car sales world and SWTOR was its shiny new prestige vehicle, would you buy it, after having test driven it?

Me: Excuse me the radio doesn't work.

Salesperson: Oh we have a workaround for that. Please plug in your iphone into the shiny usb port and you will hear your favorite tunes.

Me: The engine keeps misfiring and making strange noises.

Salesperson: Please provide our engineering department with a complete engine diagnostic so they may look at it in detail and get back to you some time in the future.

Me: I hit the Gas Peddle and nothing happens for a good second, same thing with the brakes.

Saleperson: We are aware of this issue and our engineers are working hard to have a fix for that in the future. May I suggest you plan your acceleration and braking in advance. this would help you a lot.

Me: The rear vision mirror and instrumentation are blocking my field of view and I cant move it. Other car companies let me move those things.

Salesperson: We spent years designing the dashboard and the instrumentation. you will get used to it. Trust me:cool:.

I hear a lot of moaning.. you can't beat this games reviews.. sorry dood. This game will never be a new car and the fact that you're comparing to to such is down right sad.. "apples 'nd oranges"

It's funny, because I think the actual opposit of the OPs logic is the case.

I work in a big company and when our new software was released I thought to myself: "If this was the launch of an MMO and said MMO had THAT many bugs in it, not one person would buy this one."

Having compared it with several programs (including Microsoft Office, for god's sake!), I have to say that there is nothing more polished than entertainment software.

I work in a big company and when our new software was released I thought to myself: "If this was the launch of an MMO and said MMO had THAT many bugs in it, not one person would buy this one."

Having compared it with several programs (including Microsoft Office, for god's sake!), I have to say that there is nothing more polished than entertainment software.

and with that said we are done here.. this game is way smoother than vanilla release could have ever dreamed.

Funny thing about grass.... it's always greener on the other side of the fence.

This is the most facepalm thread ever. Seriously my face has a big red handprint.

I don't know why people are so uppity about bugs. They happen and alot of the time are quite hilarious. They add some charm to the game :p. Would you really want to wait any longer for this game to be released?

It isn't a new car. It's a dumb analogy, sorry. A faulty car can potentially kill you or others. A buggy MMO on the otherhand is just frustrating.

Bioware is working very hard to see their product succeed. Today's patch goes a long way towards that goal imo.

Honestly, to expect a perfect product at launch is rediculous. Software gets better over time. Microsoft, for example, has been making operating systems for 30 years and still has never release a perfect product.

If you expect perfection in anything you're always going to be in for a let-down.

Have a little patience.

It isn't a new car. It's a dumb analogy, sorry. A faulty car can potentially kill you or others. A buggy MMO on the otherhand is just frustrating.

Bioware is working very hard to see their product succeed. Today's patch goes a long way towards that goal imo.

Honestly, to expect a perfect product at launch is rediculous. Software gets better over time. Microsoft, for example, has been making operating systems for 30 years and still has never release a perfect product.

If you expect perfection in anything you're always going to be in for a let-down.

Have a little patience.

You are confused what you meant to say mr fanboy is

"I don't like this analogy"

To throw the analogy back at you, you don't expect a perfect car when you buy one? I do. The OP is correct in this industry people think its ok.

But then again if I bought a car that was faulty I wouldn't act like my favourite team was insulted like a lot of people in here.

You are confused what you meant to say mr fanboy is

"I don't like this analogy"

To throw the analogy back at you, you don't expect a perfect car when you buy one? I do. The OP is correct in this industry people think its ok.

But then again if I bought a car that was faulty I wouldn't act like my favourite team was insulted like a lot of people in here.

No, I don't expect perfection in anything. I wonder though how buggy cars were in 1910, just 10 years after being "released" for the first time. I wonder if people were so entitled that they would throw around rediculous analogies and statements like ... "After 10 years of vehicles why is this one not perfect?"

Look, my statement is that this will get better over time. If you expect it to be perfect there is more wrong with you than the software.

All of this has nothing to do with being a fanboy or not, simply following a little logic and patience. The sky isn't falling, it's just a little foggy.

Interesting analogy.........I do not disagree with what you are trying to compare. But there is one difference.

When I buy a new car......I dont have millions of people trying to drive it with me. My car doesnt have to process information from millions of other cars to work. My car doesnt have people driving it with different skill......"computer specs".....my car and I drive together alone.

I am not sure if this makes sense, but what makes this a tough comparison, is there is a large part of issues that are dependent on trying to drive this SWTOR car on such a large level, with a million owners wanting the same car to do different things.

That aside, I get what you are saying, and my response would be.....would you buy your that top end car today, if you knew that car may not run like a cadillac now, but give it some time and it will blow your mind away? With a rw car probably not, you would get the one that works best now, but with MMO's ......they are like wine, improve with age.

Given that the MMO's genre is not new and Bioware has entered into the world of MMO's with SWTOR as its flagship IP.

I hear a lot of talk from people making representations on how it's hard to make a MMO and there are always glitches and problems, and the devs will sort it out eventually.

The computer industry must be the only industry where the customer base accepts faults with products

I raise this:

If Bioware was a new car company entering in to the car sales world and SWTOR was its shiny new prestige vehicle, would you buy it, after having test driven it?

Me: Excuse me the radio doesn't work.

Salesperson: Oh we have a workaround for that. Please plug in your iphone into the shiny usb port and you will hear your favorite tunes.

Me: The engine keeps misfiring and making strange noises.

Salesperson: Please provide our engineering department with a complete engine diagnostic so they may look at it in detail and get back to you some time in the future.

Me: I hit the Gas Peddle and nothing happens for a good second, same thing with the brakes.

Saleperson: We are aware of this issue and our engineers are working hard to have a fix for that in the future. May I suggest you plan your acceleration and braking in advance. this would help you a lot.

Me: The rear vision mirror and instrumentation are blocking my field of view and I cant move it. Other car companies let me move those things.

Salesperson: We spent years designing the dashboard and the instrumentation. you will get used to it. Trust me:cool:.

Awesome analogy, or at least it would be if you could find a new car lease terms of $60 down and $15 a month, Im looking but not seeing....

Worst analogy ever.

This.

When you buy a car, it's supposed to be finished, and in the best condition it will ever be in, since it slowly degrades from the moment you buy it.

A mmorpg is an evolving project. It is never "complete", and the good ones get better over time.

Absolutely worst analogy ever.

Edited by Sephendrine

You don't need an analogy to understand one thing. The gaming landscape is different than it was 7 years ago. New MMOs get a matter of less than a few months to make the right impression, or they'll fall off the big map forever. If you don't want to believe that, tough, that's the way it is, look at recent history.