If SWTOR was a new car

Oldbuster

now, let's compare swtor to a potato

A potato is a very versatile vegetable, you can chip it, roast it and cook it in its skin, boil it, mash it and make great food. You can also use them as ammo for spud guns or for throwing at people that are annoying you

SWTOR is a game that has lacklustre imbalanced PvP, a great story, and a lot of things a $200,000,000 game should have missing.

They are completely different and therefore not really good for comparison.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR is a game that has lacklustre imbalanced PvP, a great story, and a lot of things a $200,000,000 game should have missing.

Except most of that money, when compared to the other expenditures, probably went towards voice actors.

And we all know that throwing money at something solves everything, not time and work.

Reply to you: no car is perfect. If I don't like the ergonomics of a certain brand/design, I buy another. Same with mobile phones. I hate Samsung and Apple. Doesn't mean they're bad and no one else should buy them. Just a matter of preference. I think the iPhone has a broken interface, I don't moan about it on apple forums, I just get on and buy a mobile which agrees with me.

You are living in a dreamworld.

Cars nor phones do not typically have problems out of the box. In fact they DO work perfect out of the lot or box. There are lemons but not many.

The analogy TC made was obviously too much for you and went over your head.

You don't need an analogy to understand one thing. The gaming landscape is different than it was 7 years ago. New MMOs get a matter of less than a few months to make the right impression, or they'll fall off the big map forever. If you don't want to believe that, tough, that's the way it is, look at recent history.

This ^

When buying a new car, you have a massive amount of choice. There might be dozens that fit what you're looking for.

MMO's are too pricey to offer that kind of variety. They are limited due to massive overhead.

Currently, there are maybe 2 to 3 max that I'd even bother looking at.

So I suppose, if you were car shopping in some backwater 3rd world market, where there were all of 3 cars available to you, then yeah, I'd likely have to put up with all those problems in any of the cars, or learn to take a bus...

And if all new cars were like all MMO launches, we would all be walking. The WoW car would have had tons of people wanting to drive it for several months but would have to wait hours each time they wanted to get behind the wheel. That car would also stop without notice and kick you out to the curb and cause you to wait several more hours to drive it again.

Yet somehow they are currently number 1.

Can you imagine driving that car when it suddenly falls thru the earth? Talk about a huge sinkhole

I'm going to guess you've never actually bought a car before.

I have, and what the OP says has a point. This game is missing features that other games have now. Today.

But I won't ever buy another new car. I hate the payment.

Everyone complaining on the forums were hired by other MMOs to drive traffic down.

It's a known issue.

You keep telling your self that. :rolleyes:

Given that the MMO's genre is not new and Bioware has entered into the world of MMO's with SWTOR as its flagship IP.

Poor analogy to start with - a flagship is a key ship in a fleet, or a ship carrying key people. You seem to suggest that TOR is their key mmo in thier list of mmos - but it stands alone. At best it's their lone battleship newly out of port for the first time to join a war that's been going on for over a decade.

I hear a lot of talk from people making representations on how it's hard to make a MMO and there are always glitches and problems, and the devs will sort it out eventually.

This is not unique to mmos. There is no excuse for being surprised by software problems that developers plan to fix via online patching with any contemporary software release. That doesn't not mean that customers shouldn't complain - those complaints should be equally expected.

The computer industry must be the only industry where the customer base accepts faults with products

Certainly it's more prolific in the software industry, due to the complexity of software and the ease of which it can be patched, but it's not unique to it. I'm sure you've heard of product recalls on items ranging from appliances to vehicles.

I raise this:

If Bioware was a new car company entering in to the car sales world and SWTOR was its shiny new prestige vehicle, would you buy it, after having test driven it?

Absolutely not - but then it's not a car, it's a game and if it crashes people don't die and make the evening news. Furthermore, you're comparing hardware to software. Terrible analogy.

Me: Excuse me the radio doesn't work.

Salesperson: Oh we have a workaround for that. Please plug in your iphone into the shiny usb port and you will hear your favorite tunes.

Did someone have a problem with game sound? Did BW suggest they add additonal hardware to their system to fix it or did they say we'll patch that for you? Link?

Me: The engine keeps misfiring and making strange noises.

Salesperson: Please provide our engineering department with a complete engine diagnostic so they may look at it in detail and get back to you some time in the future.

A perfect example of why the analogy is a poor one - this suggests that BW is asking you for a diagnostic of their software, when they are in fact asking for a diagnostic of your hardware and your software. You would have been closer to the point if you had them asking the customer if they'd ever been in a car or driven before.

Me: I hit the Gas Peddle and nothing happens for a good second, same thing with the brakes.

Saleperson: We are aware of this issue and our engineers are working hard to have a fix for that in the future. May I suggest you plan your acceleration and braking in advance. this would help you a lot.

Really? You're going to compare a software delay to a life-threatening defect? This is clearly a safety issue and the car could not be legally driven on the road. If TOR had a problem making it equally dangerous to the user, I'm sure they would take their servers offline.

Me: The rear vision mirror and instrumentation are blocking my field of view and I cant move it. Other car companies let me move those things.

Salesperson: We spent years designing the dashboard and the instrumentation. you will get used to it. Trust me:cool:.

You have an adjustable dashboard and can reaffix your rear view mirror in another location by design in your vehicle? What do you drive? This appears to be a mistaken comparisson that supports BW's bad decision to limit the customization of their UI.

Or are you talking about changing the factory customization of these items? You can't have them moved around, but you could have alterations changed - such as NAV and electronic mirrors etc. Are you then suggesting that BW make their UI customization options a form of paid DLC?

That's the problem with analogies - especially bad ones.

Edited by dracoda

there are fundamendals laws of how a product must be represented. its not about ergonomics its about following quality standarts.

There is no such thing as a quality standard, thats a catch phrase created for comercials, not a realistic way to run a business. The fundamental and most important thing for a product is ingenuity and usefulness, the most important aspects of a company are honesty and integrity.

You don't buy a car because its standard, you buy it because it has features you want and it doesn't matter if what you want is standard or not. A car can have 5 wheels for all I care as long as its awsome. If it has 4 wheels and fits the definition of some companies vision of standard yet lacks the features I want, no matter how standard it they claim it is, its completetly useless to me.

Just saying.. its kind of a myth.

I would indeed purchase a car if I knew the car maker was dependable. I know the gadgets will get fixed, its the motor I care about. Will the car give me 100,000 miles of solid transportation? Will the car maker fix any problems I have with the radio? Yes and yes....sold!

Oh, I drive a 1970 VW baja so Im kinda bad at this whole simile thing.

Edited by Derfmiolleh

You are living in a dreamworld.

Cars nor phones do not typically have problems out of the box. In fact they DO work perfect out of the lot or box. There are lemons but not many.

The analogy TC made was obviously too much for you and went over your head.

Not many lemons? There are enough that a book is published annually to list them. Phones don't have problems at release? Like the iPhone that had to be held a certain way so you wouldn't lose signal? Or their battery life patch? How about the missing PASTE function that took years to add?

A car is a necessity in most cities in the United States. You require one to get to work, fetch groceries, etc. It takes a lot of special consideration to get by without one. Also, if it malfunctions while you're driving, it has a decent chance of killing you.

A video game is a luxury. I don't require one to get by. If it doesn't run as smooth as cream, odds are it won't negatively impact my health. If it crashes, it won't take me down in a fireball of doom and destruction.

I don't find it at all surprising that the development standards for a necessity and a luxury are different.

I have, and what the OP says has a point. This game is missing features that other games have now. Today.

But I won't ever buy another new car. I hate the payment.

You keep telling your self that. :rolleyes:

The thing about MMOs is that almost every part of them is proprietary. Imagine if Ford has had a car out for seven years, and a new company wants to make a car. If the automotive manufacturing industry was anything like the MMO industry, this new company would have to completely design and develop every aspect of their car from the ground up. Sure, they can get a standard engine to run it, but all of the steering, suspension, and safety systems would have to be developed from the ground up.

Bioware can't just go to the LFD company and use their LFD system. I'm sure SWTOR will get more features as the game progresses, but they will need time to develop them and implement them.

The thing about MMOs is that almost every part of them is proprietary. Imagine if Ford has had a car out for seven years, and a new company wants to make a car. If the automotive manufacturing industry was anything like the MMO industry, this new company would have to completely design and develop every aspect of their car from the ground up. Sure, they can get a standard engine to run it, but all of the steering, suspension, and safety systems would have to be developed from the ground up.

Bioware can't just go to the LFD company and use their LFD system. I'm sure SWTOR will get more features as the game progresses, but they will need time to develop them and implement them.

Missing working non blurry textures. Missing high settings that work.

Not a proprietary issue.

Missing appearance tab. Not proprietary issue.

Yet they can directly copy WoW and have no issues?

Missing AA/AF.

Why does a game with a 80 million + budget not have these things? Why did beta have better textures and higher setting that worked?

Why was the bug reports about ability delay (among other things) ignored for months of beta tests?

Not sure if ability delay is fully fixed or just band aided or not.

I was not even talking about LFD (why is it not in the game already?) but thats missing too.

They put a band aid on the pvp brackets by splitting 50's off. We need at least three.

10-30

31-49

That leaves plenty of players in the bracket and it fixes level 10's going up against 49's. Way too much gear difference between them.

Are those issues game breaking?

Not for everyone, but they sure as heck make the game less enjoyable.

After enjoying STO and AoC I can really see where TOR is lacking, even compared to "failed" F2P games.

Edited by titanmike

The appearance tab isn't missing. It's not supposed to be there in the first place.

In hindsight the hero engine might not have been the best choice. Of course they might prove me wrong in the future.

Why does the game not have a appearance tab? Thats just plan silly for a game that touts about how you can have a custom/personal character.

Social armors are a joke.

This game has less features than F2P games, why? :confused:

A nice story, gave me a smile. But comparing a car to a game is not the best comparisson:D

Or the other way around. Going to a garage with the following questions:

When do I get a free update for this car?

I want to be able to customize how the car looks, for free.

Edited by Oobro

Why does the game not have a appearance tab? Thats just plan silly for a game that touts about how you can have a custom/personal character.

Social armors are a joke.

This game has less features than F2P games, why? :confused:

Because they chose not to have said feature?

There are social armors and orange pieces.

Oh rubbish.