Very Inspiring Assassin PvP Video! Battle Master lvl 50

djpravda

Thanks for posting the video. A few things I take issue with though:

1. Saying chain shock is garbage. 4-Piece Centurion/Champion/Battlemaster set bonus makes this a basic non-issue as far as eating Recklessness stacks. My shocks regularly crit for 4.5k+ with a chain shock proc for 1.5k. A free 1.5k damage. Followed by a 4k+ Discharge and a 4K+ Maul and a 4K+ Assassinate. I mean, that's crazy burst. You can drop a healer SO fast.

2. Saying not to use Maul. The positioning really isn't that bad, if you've ever played a backstab rogue or another game where you had to get behind to do your big burst attack. If you can't get into position, just use something else. But, ignoring a huge attack that ignores 50% of armor (from Duplicity) that has a huge crit multiplier and hits for sometimes over 5k on light armor for the same force use as a voltaic slash or shock is just stupid. Period. Further, you say it has no place in a rotation... What rotation are you using? I see you use Voltaic Slash multiple times in that video when you already have 2 stacks of your buff for Shock. Couldn't you have simply replaced one of those VS with a Maul?

3. Start more fights in stealth. You get huge force regen from being in stealth.

Thanks again for posting the video but there seems to be a lot of misinformation in your post and error in your talent spec choices. Up to you, but I think you'd do more damage with a chain shock build and by using maul.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP... could you repost perhaps w/o the music or on another movie site? Youtube is blocking your video based on copyrighted songs.

Same problem with me.

Gotta love internet censorship. And it's only going to get so much better with SOPA! Which, lol, has not gone away despite the media making you think it has.

Anyone able to DL the video and put it up somewhere?

I am interested in watching this thing... not to derail this thread in any manner... however I'm currently trying to make a decision between a Marauder and an Assassin (both mid-20s). I don't have a ton of playtime and am hoping to focus on one of them.

Despite all the hate in this thread, I'd still like to thank the OP for taking the time to make & upload the video. I for one quite enjoyed it, regardless of whatever buff-stacking and pocket-healing there may well have been going on in order to produce a lot of the footage.

It was nice, however, to see what Deception is capable of at the higher tiers of gear. From my perspective, having only relatively recently starting PVP'ing seriously at 50, it gives me something to work towards, and a reason to spec back to decption once I'm better geared. (Currently using Darkness to farm medals from protection..... CHEESE!).

Thanks again, nice work.

9% armor pen translates to ~4% damage increase on high armor targets, and less than 3% on lower armor targets. A high armored tank target will have about 18k health, 4% of 18k is 720 damage over the whole fight, chain shock will outperform that in less than 2 hits. Its definitely a preference, but overall, my anecdotal experience and completely made up numbers support chain shock.

Had to fix that. This would have ended up in the ban section of EJ in its prime for misinformation. The real math is impossible to determine at this point as there is no combat logging. Any numbers you create will be just that.

Also, you seem to have missed the point of speccing into darkness. The real win there is the cooldown reduction of force speed.

Tank wise its terrible, even with full BM gear. Considering our primary mitigation is bypassed by pretty much every player attack (minus the no cost attack everyone starts with).

Spec tank, gear DPS. You obivously have no idea what you are talking about if you think they suck. I went from middle of the pack, to top medals, and top 25% damage when i made the switch.

Its not the tank gear that makes you so strong, its the abilities, adn their added utility. 5 sec dur/ 45 sec force shroud is almost cheating, harnessed darkness at 3 stacks with recklessness will hit harder than any deception abilitiy, excellent finisher coupled with assassinate at the end of it, shock crits every time I use it, wither is an aoe snare and damage reducer, discharge debuffs accuracy, taunt makes everyone hit 30% weaker on my party, force pull is amazing in huttball and even in alderon it helps to save many healers. Very few classes can go up against us and win one on one when played right as darkness in DPS gear.(marauders seem to be the toughest fight I have since force shroud is all but usless against him.) Casters are suppose to be the tanks bane, but they arent mine(force shroud, force speed, force pull make all that trying to run away pointless). 20 sec cooldown on force speed, plus it removes snares. Stealth is worthless around me, and i can spike out of stealth making it actually have a point. It really is CRAZY the utility we get as darkness.

So try to think outside the box from time to time and its amazing what you can figure out. PVP is not about 1v1 here. Its about teamwork. And having a tank in you ground that knows how to play like one is a HUGE boost.

Edited by Saberolson

Had to fix that. This would have ended up in the ban section of EJ in its prime for misinformation. The real math is impossible to determine at this point as there is no combat logging. Any numbers you create will be just that.

Also, you seem to have missed the point of speccing into darkness. The real win there is the cooldown reduction of force speed.

Actually the real numbers are quite easy to generate. Combat logging just makes it easier to parse the numbers, but the numbers are there, on your screen. Try writing them down. I guess the rest of the math that people have generated for this game is just misinformation due to the lack of a combat log as well?

As I said in my tank gear, my chain shock proc hits for ~620 base, that's 100 less than the 720 dmg that the arpen will give you on a 18k health target. If I was wearing Stalker gear my Chain shock would hit harder, thus 2 hits or less from Chain Shock and you've already surpassed the damage you would cause with 9% arpen.

These aren't arbitraty and anecdotal numbers, I actually took the time to do the math and check it in game to see if it sussed out.

However in another thread we actually figured out that a 2/31/8 chain shock build where you don't get the extra 6% VS dmg and instead take 6% arpen was in fact better damage overall.

Thanks for posting the video. A few things I take issue with though:

1. Saying chain shock is garbage. 4-Piece Centurion/Champion/Battlemaster set bonus makes this a basic non-issue as far as eating Recklessness stacks. My shocks regularly crit for 4.5k+ with a chain shock proc for 1.5k. A free 1.5k damage. Followed by a 4k+ Discharge and a 4K+ Maul and a 4K+ Assassinate. I mean, that's crazy burst. You can drop a healer SO fast.

Chain shock is garbage. You make recklessness and your 4p weaker. no thanks

It's a bad talent and costs 3 points to boot, and you give up lowered cds.

Edited by Nocorras