Leveling as a sage spec?

PhantomKash

How bad is it? Do you get less dps abilities or do fights take 2x as long? Plan on speccing as a healer so I can get flashpoint groups quickly but not at the expense of taking a really long time killing elite/strong enemies. Edited by PhantomKash

In Beta, I levelled as a healer and had no issues killing mobs on my own. It went rather quickly actually and since we have good cc abilities the groups were manageable. I will definitely be playing a healer once I get into the game.

I used to be an arrow like you but then i took an adventurer to the knee

If you go sage - regardless of your end spec (heal,dmg or dot) *put the first 5 points into telekenetics*. Seriously. As a healer you don't get your big heal until 14 anyway and you'll be damaging instead of backline healing all the time. Don't gimp your damage output by not investing into the damage tree.

If you go sage - regardless of your end spec (heal,dmg or dot) *put the first 5 points into telekenetics*. Seriously. As a healer you don't get your big heal until 14 anyway and you'll be damaging instead of backline healing all the time. Don't gimp your damage output by not investing into the damage tree.

Definately this^

Plus I had a blast leveling as a sage with Qyzen.

However a note on him and I'm not sure what level he gets the skill but it's a leap move.

It's not normally turned on and he can be a little slow to attack mobs until you get the leap skill.

Once you get that, turn on it's auto-attack feature and he jumps right in and pretty fast at that in comparison to not having it. It was a complaint before threads got wiped and the leap helps tremendously to get him into fights quicker.

One other thing. You have to watch out for his grenade AOE ability. It's great damage but there will be times you will want to turn off it's auto attack, which I think is ON automatically.

He will break a close CC target every time with it.

Other than those two things and they were easily fixable.

Sage leveling with Qyzen was a lot of fun.

Definately this^

Plus I had a blast leveling as a sage with Qyzen.

However a note on him and I'm not sure what level he gets the skill but it's a leap move.

It's not normally turned on and he can be a little slow to attack mobs until you get the leap skill.

Once you get that, turn on it's auto-attack feature and he jumps right in and pretty fast at that in comparison to not having it. It was a complaint before threads got wiped and the leap helps tremendously to get him into fights quicker.

One other thing. You have to watch out for his grenade AOE ability. It's great damage but there will be times you will want to turn off it's auto attack, which I think is ON automatically.

He will break a close CC target every time with it.

Other than those two things and they were easily fixable.

Sage leveling with Qyzen was a lot of fun.

That is disappointing to hear. When the whole debate was going on about are companions pets, we had been told that the companion AI was smart enough not to break CC

Edited by Andrage

i played a sage on the beta and went up to lvl 22. I was able to solo most heroic 2+ quests with my companion and had no issues for soloing in general. They are a very good class. you can put your pet on a gold mob while you kill the adds. Heal him quickly and then help him out to kill the boss. Very simple and very easy.

Have to agree with others. Leveling as a Sage was not at all like leveling as a healer in other MMOs. I solo'd on my sages most of the time that I played during beta.

However, you may get a little too used to being able to take out mobs higher than yourself and may run into some problems later on when you try to do it.

That is disappointing to hear. When the whole debate was going on about are companions pets, we had been told that the companion AI was smart enough not to break CC

And it is, but the AoE's targetting another member and splashing the CC can happen. Usually, I'll put Qyzen on one side of the group, CC the other side and blast away, that usually solves the problem. If not, you need a sec to put it on/off, np.

If you bind companion attack to a key, you can explicitly send him off to a mob on the side and face pull/CC the others to you. Keeps CC break out of the equasion in most cases.

also helps if you pull too many, you can have him come after one and regain agro w/ taunt. In either case, you should have zero issues leveling as heal spec (you *did* put points into telekenetics too though right? :) )

Cheers

And it is, but the AoE's targetting another member and splashing the CC can happen. Usually, I'll put Qyzen on one side of the group, CC the other side and blast away, that usually solves the problem. If not, you need a sec to put it on/off, np.

BINGO! This right here. ^

It's not that Qyzen is really targeting the CC.

He wont ever break CC with a straight attack. You can force lift someone and I have never seen him break it. The AI is actually pretty good.

However, his AOE attack is different if the CC is to close to his main target. It's the splash damage that does it, not really Qyzen breaking it on purpose.

I put his hot bar on the left side of the screen expanded so I can quickly turn it off with a pack of mobs that are close together. It's easy enough.

OH - Update back on my other post. He gets that leap attack when he firsts becomes your companion. Just make sure it's turned on.

I'd like to thank you all for the good information in this thread. I have FINALLY decided that I will roll up a healer Sage as my first character. I've never played a healer before so that aspect will be new to me. I think my decision comes down to the fact that I will be able to "solo" (with companion) whenever I can't or don't want to group. Yet at the same time I will be a class that will almost always be welcome in a group for tougher content. Prior to learning about the Sage I was planning to play a pure DPS spec. In most games there are always a surplus of straight DPS and I suspect SWTOR will be the same.

See you all in game......eventually (I'm a 30 November pre-order)