This game needs a complete overhaul in crafting.

MercArcher

Just because it is not get-rich-quick does not mean it is broken. All of the schematics have not even been discovered. The GTN is the busiest spot in the fleet, plenty of people are buying. The best ship parts come from crafting. The best (arguably) armor up to level 50 comes from crafting.

Crafting is good to go.

This. The crafting system isn't perfect, but it's far from needing a complete overhaul. We haven't even seen everything that's possible to make yet. It's a very good system I think, it just needs some tweaks, which it sounds like they're addressing.

The armor set I'm using is 100% crafted and I spent good money on it too because it's the only BH set that I really liked. I also sell quite a few ship upgrades, droid parts, and earpieces from my craft. Crafting in this game is great if you actually put the work in it that you're supposed to. If you pay attention to what sells well and RE stuff to get better schematics it's an easy way to make money. You get what you give.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eventually there will be so many credits in the economy that new players won't even be able to afford crafted armor.

I spend roughly 20k a day on repairs. I earn roughly 250k a day from dailys.

230k * 30 days = ~7m a month

This is not including any PvP, PvE, or GTM profits.

There are currently no gold dumps other than repairs at 50, so that gold just begins to sit in my inventory.

After 6 months unless something changes I will have roughly 48mil credits. Most other players will have similar amounts leading to inflation of "leveling gear" for alts to cost hundreds of thousands to millions each putting them out of range for most new players to afford.

Basically this game needs to overhaul professions so there is something to spend your credits on late game.

I'd suggest them adding in more for crew skills and harder to get resources. That will tempt people to buy them and use some of that money.

Artifice: - Hilts, Crystals and Enhancements

Armstech:- Barrels

Armormeh:- None

Cybertech:- Armoring and Mods

Synthweaving:- None

What i would suggest is balancing it out so that Artifice doesn't have most of the mods and that other crew skills can craft mods that suit their crew skills.

My suggestion would be to move the mod crafting so that its more like;

Artifice: - Hilts and Crystals

Armormeh:- Aim and Cunning Armorings

Cybertech:- Mods and Enhancements

Synthweaving:- Willpower and Strength Armorings

The reason why the modifications are balanced the way they are is because Synthweaving and Armormech can craft items that go into 7 different armor slots (head, chest, arms, hands, belt, legs, and feet). But things like Cybertech, Artifice, and Armstech only make things that fill 1-2 armor slots (main hand and/or offhand, earpiece). So they're given more mods to keep the market evened out.

Edited by DarrkLore

Uehmmm... aha. Cybertech armoring and modifications do suck big time, since even the best you can do is way worse than what you get from Ilum/Belsavis daily commendations.

So while you could make a case for Cybertech not sucking, it is not due to armorings and modifications. Which just shows to me that you do not really know what you are talking about.

One could make the point that whether or not a tradeskill sucks isn't determined by what it can make for end game users, but what profit it provides selling to those who aren't end game.

'Course, I happen to believe that "end game" is when you go do something else waiting for the next expansion to drop. I've never understood the desire to participate in the grind that is endgame "gameplay".

I don't think it needs a complete overhaul.

Many crafting skills produce valuable items for pre-endgame. The problem is that every crafting skill but Biochem produces garbage at endgame.

That's not an overhaul.

That's BioWare adding endgame value into the crafting professions.

I posted this in the suggestions forum

Right now as it stand the Crew Skills seem to be a little skewed on craftable mods.

Artifice: - Hilts, Crystals and Enhancements

Armormeh:- None

Cybertech:- Armoring and Mods

Synthweaving:- None

What i would suggest is balancing it out so that Artifice doesn't have most of the mods and that other crew skills can craft mods that suit their crew skills.

My suggestion would be to move the mod crafting so that its more like;

Artifice: - Hilts and Crystals

Armormeh:- Aim and Cunning Armorings

Cybertech:- Mods and Enhancements

Synthweaving:- Willpower and Strength Armorings

In the system above the tradeskills can craft mods and armorings that actually match their tradeskills.

The problem is at 50 ALL CRAFTED MODS ARE WORTHLESS. All of them. YOU CAN NOT MAKE A SINGLE USEFUL MOD AT 50.

You can switch them around all you want, but that still doesn't mean any of them will be useful.

After 6 months unless something changes I will have roughly 48mil credits. Most other players will have similar amounts leading to inflation of "leveling gear" for alts to cost hundreds of thousands to millions each putting them out of range for most new players to afford.

And why would a bunch of lvl 50s cause lower level gear to inflate? Perhaps through alts or higher demand for profession leveling resources, but that's par for the course in any theme park mmo.

Not that I disagree with you on crafting needs at 50, I just don't buy the hyperinflation rhetoric.

And why would a bunch of lvl 50s cause lower level gear to inflate? Perhaps through alts or higher demand for profession leveling resources, but that's par for the course in any theme park mmo.

Not that I disagree with you on crafting needs at 50, I just don't buy the hyperinflation rhetoric.

because people rolling alts will have millions of credits on their 50s and will be able to spend millions of credits on gear for their alts.

Edited by MercArcher

The reason why the modifications are balanced the way they are is because Synthweaving and Armormech can craft items that go into 7 different armor slots (head, chest, arms, hands, belt, legs, and feet). But things like Cybertech, Artifice, and Armstech only make things that fill 1-2 armor slots (main hand and/or offhand, earpiece). So they're given more mods to keep the market evened out.

I can honestly say i never considered it form that side.

That being said, its my experience that outside of bracers and belts most people prefer the orange gear for a look and mods are requested more than the armor its self.

and it seems to frustrate the armormech/sythweavers that they cant craft their own armoring.

Also seems a bit odd by that right that Artifice gets 3 mods to craft.

Uehmmm... aha. Cybertech armoring and modifications do suck big time, since even the best you can do is way worse than what you get from Ilum/Belsavis daily commendations.

So while you could make a case for Cybertech not sucking, it is not due to armorings and modifications. Which just shows to me that you do not really know what you are talking about.

Sure maybe the mods aren't too useful. But if the whole point of crafting was only to make end game items, then we wouldn't have the other 95% of items that we have. I've found my Cybertech to be very useful while leveling. I can make mods and armoring to keep my orange pieces up to date and I can make myself really nice earpieces while leveling.

And let's not forget... MONEY!!! Who cares about making stuff that's useful for you when you have enough money to just buy whatever you want? I've made a ton of money with Cybertech, I have more money than any of my friends. I think that alone makes it pretty darn useful.

Edited by DarrkLore

Sure maybe the mods aren't too useful. But if the whole point of crafting was only to make end game items, then we wouldn't have the other 95% of items that we have. I've found my Cybertech to be very useful while leveling. I can make mods and armoring to keep my orange pieces up to date and I can make myself really nice earpieces while leveling.

And let's not forget... MONEY!!! Who cares about making stuff that's useful for you when you have enough money to just buy whatever you want? I've made a ton of money with Cybertech, I have more money than any of my friends. I think that alone makes it pretty darn useful.

Jokes on you, there's nothing to spend money on which is the main problem.

I'm currently sitting at 6 million credits. I'm making more and more via dailys. I have not a single thing to spend them on.

That being said, its my experience that outside of bracers and belts most people prefer the orange gear for a look and mods are requested more than the armor its self.

and it seems to frustrate the armormech/sythweavers that they cant craft their own armoring.

Yes that does seem to be true, but I've gotten quite a few non-orange pieces off the AH from crafters too. And my mods and armorings never really sell, at least not at a rate that will profit me like I'd like. I don't even bother selling them.

Also I think Artifice gets three because they don't have as many unique items as the others. I know Cybertech has a lot extras, I'm not sure about Armstech though.

Jokes on you, there's nothing to spend money on which is the main problem.

I'm currently sitting at 6 million credits. I'm making more and more via dailys. I have not a single thing to spend them on.

What joke? I've never heard of having too much money as being a problem. You don't see Bill Gates begging the government to take more taxes out of his profits. I'm sure they'll add stuff along the way for me to spend on. If not, oh well, I still get to feel like a millionaire for a change which is nice :D

Edited by DarrkLore

What joke? I've never heard of having too much money as being a problem. You don't see Bill Gates begging the government to take more taxes out of his profits. I'm sure they'll add stuff along the way for me to spend on. If not, oh well, I still get to feel like a millionaire for a change which is nice :D

There is however a problem when EVERYONE is millionares with nothing to spend their money on. Its called inflation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwean_dollar

Take a look there. They eventually printed a $100,000,000,000 bill, three of which could buy you a single loaf of bread.

My lvl 50 Jedi Shadow has some orange gear equipped that I made (chest, leggings). I have found synthweaving to be very useful and have been able to create some gear for my guild members that was better than what they were wearing at the time.

With underworld trading i've actually have gotten some high lvl schematics for synthweaving which I wasn't able to learn until i got to 350 (had 1) and then at 400 (3 of them).

There's obviously a lot of schematics that haven't been discovered yet so I'd say give it more time.

If you already have 2-4 million credits already then what's the point to keep selling? seems like a bit of overkill to me, but that's just my opinion....

I've found my Cybertech to be very useful while leveling. I can make mods and armoring to keep my orange pieces up to date and I can make myself really nice earpieces while leveling.

Yes, this is correct. Cybertech is very useful while leveling. As are all other crafts.

So the system is nice when leveling. Not so when highlevel. Actually when Maxlevel this is where it gets broken.

Armormech and Synthweaving have a very nice niche in tanking equip. Noone can make these, except for augments.

If they made crafting better than end game stuff, people would complain that there is no point to end game stuff...

Wow was pretty much the same stuff. Heck, I was a leatherworker in vanilla wow, and other than the black scale dragon set for beginners at molten core, nothing I did early on had any use for end gamers. but end gamers are not what professions are supposed to be balanced around.

Eventually there will be so many credits in the economy that new players won't even be able to afford crafted armor.

I spend roughly 20k a day on repairs. I earn roughly 250k a day from dailys.

230k * 30 days = ~7m a month

This is not including any PvP, PvE, or GTM profits.

There are currently no gold dumps other than repairs at 50, so that gold just begins to sit in my inventory.

Basically this game needs to overhaul professions so there is something to spend your credits on late game.

I'm clearly missing something.

I count 8 dailies on Belsavis (three at the outpost and five through the teleporter) accounting for roughly 64k.

On Ilum I count 5 (not counting the heroic) so that's about 55k there.

Where's the other 140k coming from? PvP and Space missions?

I just want to track down the missions I seem to have missed.

:confused:

Uh..... right now, using your example above, an Armormech/Synthweaver can potentially fill 7 slots.

A Cybertech can fill, 2 "slots" per armor and weapon, making it a max of 18 slots (9 total "modifiable" items x 2 mods per item). Not to mention the Ear peices making it so they can supply 19 items to a single player.

As an Armstech, I can supply 2 items (gun or barrel), which are mutually exclusive because I cannot craft modifiable weapons.

The crafting "mechanic" is fine, but the integration into the game is FUBAR.

Edited by Kryptorchid

Just because it is not get-rich-quick does not mean it is broken. All of the schematics have not even been discovered. The GTN is the busiest spot in the fleet, plenty of people are buying. The best ship parts come from crafting. The best (arguably) armor up to level 50 comes from crafting.

Crafting is good to go.

Crafting is broken. Has nothing to do with get rich quick.

For instance. My guardian needed a 27th level useable hilt. So I brake out my expert artificer. I see I need democit silk (sorry about spelling), well that item happens to be mission only item. So I pull up my companion list and go to send out lizard boy since he is my best archealogist only to find zero missions for the silk. I had to waste 4 missions on other crap I could gather myself just to get a silk mission to pop. So I spent well over 1000 creds just to get to a 450 cred mission to get the silk I need for one hilt. THATS SCREWED UP!

This crafting system desperately needs an overhaul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crafting is broken. Has nothing to do with get rich quick.

For instance. My guardian needed a 27th level useable hilt. So I brake out my expert artificer. I see I need democit silk (sorry about spelling), well that item happens to be mission only item. So I pull up my companion list and go to send out lizard boy since he is my best archealogist only to find zero missions for the silk. I had to waste 4 missions on other crap I could gather myself just to get a silk mission to pop. So I spent well over 1000 creds just to get to a 450 cred mission to get the silk I need for one hilt. THATS SCREWED UP!

This crafting system desperately needs an overhaul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, demicot silk is available at 100 credits each from the crew skills merchant. However it is generally cheaper when getting it through a crew mission.

Edited by Marlaine