Is Mercenary Overrolled?

Frostbird

So, am thinking about rolling a BH. I already have a tanking toon, and am looking for something fun, stylish and able to put out good dps. I am definately drawn to the Merc. However this class seems to be *horribly* overrolled on my server - a /who in the Fleet brings it in as a close second behind Sorcerers.

Am I totally off target in thinking there are too many mercs already?

each adv class has their pros and cons

but yea for pve and pvp the merc has more advantages than pt. it also doesnt help that healers are in shortage while tanks are a dime a dozen, and that there is only 1 force healer spec and the majority of players are some sort of force class.

although a range-ish tank style is interesting...

Edited by Ryotknife

each adv class has their pros and cons

but yea for pve and pvp the merc has more advantages than pt. it also doesnt help that healers are in shortage while tanks are a dime a dozen, and that there is only 1 force healer spec and the majority of players are some sort of force class.

although a range-ish tank style is interesting...

Powertech does appeal to me, but I already have a Heavy tanking class.

Funny enough, I see more Mercs than sassy's/rauders/juggs combined.

hmm, on my server mercs are generally 5th behind all of the force users. even though mercs are 5th, there are generally more mercs than pts, ops, and snipers combined :D

hmm, on my server mercs are generally 5th behind all of the force users. even though mercs are 5th, there are generally more mercs than pts, ops, and snipers combined :D

Oddly seeing quite a few ops at present. Very few snipers though and ops are mostly PvP.

PTs are becoming more common. Mercs are already as common as dirt.

3 weeks ago or so Sith were everywhere. Warriors are few and far between at present now, and sorcerers are *everywhere*.

Does anyone have any link to a class representation census?

As long as you don't want to heal, roll Powertech and go straight up the Pyro tree... you won't be tanking a thing, it's a pure DPS tree... and be one of the top damage dealers in the game.

Z

So, am thinking about rolling a BH. I already have a tanking toon, and am looking for something fun, stylish and able to put out good dps. I am definately drawn to the Merc. However this class seems to be *horribly* overrolled on my server - a /who in the Fleet brings it in as a close second behind Sorcerers.

Am I totally off target in thinking there are too many mercs already?

To be fair there are healers and pyro and arsenal mercs.... All very different if you ask me... But I get what your saying...sorc is very popular

There's a crapload of mercs right now, on every server. Of course, compared to sorc population, mercs aren't that many, but compared to the rest of the classes-mercs are definitely "overrolled".

And yeah, you should totally try PT, so what that that it's heavy class? It's play style is much more entertaining than merc's tracer missile spamfest. Also, PT is one of the best pvp classes and since it's tanking tree isn't all that great, most people go straight for pyro or shield tech/pyro hybrid.

Edited by DervimNorth

Merc is definitely overrolled, just not as much as Sorc is. On my server and also in my guild there is a fairly good balance with most classes being almost equally distributed. The only exceptions are Mercs and Sorcs, where Sorcerers are about 3 times as common as the other classes and Mercs are about 2 times as common.

So overall I would say every advanced class has about 1/11 (9%) share of total population with Mercs having 2/11 (18%) and Sorcs having 3/11 (27%).

Edited by Arancor

DONT ever look what is around... play the way and class you have fun. Some classes always will be more popular than other.

If you feel unconfortable when there is around so many Merc, try one and show everyone around that there is just few played well :>

(for example, that there are some which does something else than spamming rockets - which when interrupted, suddenly dont know what to do)

I think I have a mildly balanced server. At first, naturally, there were much more Sentinels/Marauders but they finally went away. Smugglers seem the least common though, still

I don't see alot of Powertechs; but my main is a lvl 42 Vanguard and despite that I still decided to roll Powertech anyway. I did so because I appear to be very good with this type of class.

I also didn't want to be annoyed into being a healer.

*Which oddly enough, caught up to me. When I rolled a smuggler, I decided I would go Scoundrel. It turns out healing's not so bad. I think I still could have made merc/commando work.

After playing all the class types, I still think Vanguard/PT is my favorite, personally.

Using the full shield/tanking spec, I've enjoyed great success in PvP

To each their own.

Edited by Wave_Fusion

DONT ever look what is around... play the way and class you have fun. Some classes always will be more popular than other.

If you feel unconfortable when there is around so many Merc, try one and show everyone around that there is just few played well :>

(for example, that there are some which does something else than spamming rockets - which when interrupted, suddenly dont know what to do)

I love to see mercs when interrupted the just turn tail and run for their lives ^.^

<-PT Advanced Prototype. If u like going fast (and I mean REAL fast) go PT AP, its the best spec in the game to roflstomp noobs that rolled merc.

And yeah, you should totally try PT, so what that that it's heavy class? It's play style is much more entertaining than merc's tracer missile spamfest. Also, PT is one of the best pvp classes and since it's tanking tree isn't all that great, most people go straight for pyro or shield tech/pyro hybrid.

Do a search for Carolina Parakeet for more info on the ST/Pyro Hybrid.

Problem is when you get to endgame it becomes hard to find groups (especially without a Finder) if your class is saturated.

Am enjoying my Merc (level 15 already) but oh my are there a lot of them leveling. Just finished a 4man quest with 3 mercs and a Juggernaut.

Merc's are over rolled for two main reasons.

1. You can be everything with a skill reset. Healer, Tank, DPS all in one.

2. Duel Pistols

I think that about sums it up. Perhaps you are the Jack of all Trades with Merc. Sorc can out heal u, Warrior's can out tank you and well Ops can out DPS you. However none of them can do all three as well as a merc.

2. Duel Pistols

I think that about sums it up. Perhaps you are the Jack of all Trades with Merc. Sorc can out heal u, Warrior's can out tank you and well Ops can out DPS you. However none of them can do all three as well as a merc.

Ops CAN NOT out DPS a merc... maybe a sniper... but def not an op

2. Duel Pistols

Mercs can't be tanks silly

In my servers, at least I see more mercs than PT, but that's being said, I've also seen very few healers compared to dps.

It's funny though, yesterday, by all randomness of randomness, I ended doing an heroic + 4 on alderaan, with a group consisting on me (Merc healer), another Merc DPS, and a PT tank (with mako as final companion because we couldn't find anyone else to do the heroic) and we did pretty well, That PT was a very capable tank, I could heal the entire heroic without incidents, and I realized that the BH is a Bada** class :cool:

There is an absolute sh*t ton of mercs on my server, any time i check the /who for a given planet they are 2:1 or better higher than ANY other class, let alone PT. Its the damn 1 blaster thing I think, the npcs basically laugh in your face if you roll PT. They should get a blaster rifle, shotgun, something. To be some hulking armored tank with 1 tiny blaster just puts people off. Which is a damn shame because PT has all the other BH goodies people want, grappling cable, jet charge, freezing people in carbonite, etc.

It's logical. Everyone got to try the different classes up to now and now everyone realizes that BHs is the best and most versatile class in the game. Trooper, being it's mirror is ofc the same gameplaywise but not everyone is into that soldier.thing, wheras everybody can relate to a bad *** Bounty Hunter.