BW went backwards in space combat?

Cesar_Andrade

I flew 2 space missions and aint done so since. The only reason i flew a second mission is that I was thinking that maybe that first mission was a Star Fox clone but the others would be true 3d space combat. Man, was i deluded!

same - except for the 2nd bit ;)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If SW = SWTOR then Han would have flown straight to Jabba with his pay off (the Falcon would have been on rails so he'd have had no choice), rather than coming back to help Luke. :eek:

Seriously there have been a lot of space combat games, and a lot of SW space combat games, SWTORs ranks very near the bottom of either those (it's basically Star Fox 1992 with better graphics).

It's ok for what it is, but if that is the best a SW MMO can give in 2012 it's a sad, sad world we live in.

Not really? Your entire first point is invalid because you are implying he wasn't on rails to help Luke in the first place. Those rails are called a script, by the way.

I personally enjoy the Star Fox Minigame, I also enjoyed SWG's Space Combat but SWG's space combat was no where near 'more indicative' toward Space Combat in Star Wars than SWTOR is.

I personally prefer the cinematic feel of the space combat over "lol I can cruise around in the vast emptiness of space and pewpew at randomly patroling mobs."

Not really? Your entire first point is invalid because you are implying he wasn't on rails to help Luke in the first place. Those rails are called a script, by the way.

I personally enjoy the Star Fox Minigame, I also enjoyed SWG's Space Combat but SWG's space combat was no where near 'more indicative' toward Space Combat in Star Wars than SWTOR is.

I personally prefer the cinematic feel of the space combat over "lol I can cruise around in the vast emptiness of space and pewpew at randomly patroling mobs."

Well in that case Han might well have intended to leave Luke too it, but was on rails and couldn't do anything else.

Not very heroic of him then and still kinda spoils the movie. :D

So either way rails and SW aren't compatible. :p

Nope, it doesn't. I said "Freelancer wasn't boring", not "Freelancer was good". I personally think it was good, yes, but I didn't say so in the post. I also did not say it should be more like Freelancer. The issue was that someone mentioned free-roaming in space would be boring because space is vast.

It was very well designed when it came to freeroaming in a huge universe, because it was always something exciting to do. Either trade, finding ancient spaceships with awesome weapons for your ship in distant nebulas, bountyhunting, you name it.

Making such a huge universe and not having tedious travel-moments, etc. is a great achievement in space-simulators in my opinion.

On another note, I think SW:TOR's space-combat is absolutely horrible though. A 1990's arcade rail-shooter with updated graphics? Come on...they could have at least done it better than that.

I'll say it. SWTOR's space combat SHOULD be more like freelancer.

Why would anything better than the current game have to be that? That's just a asinine strawman argument, not a real argument for or against anything at all.

Are you telling me you've never played any decent space combat games (SW or otherwise) that wasn't Star Fox (1992)?

Edited by Goretzu

If SW = SWTOR then Han would have flown straight to Jabba with his pay off (the Falcon would have been on rails so he'd have had no choice), rather than coming back to help Luke. :eek:

^^^This^^^

made

me

laugh!

yea...TOR space combat = bad.

Yeah, SWG space combat....that didn't exist until 16 months after the game released in the form of an expansion pack!

Wait, you want to feel like you're playing Star Wars? Have you seen Star Wars space combat?

SWTOR Space Combat looks more like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKWt0485uc4 then SWG ever did.

And was then converted to be part of the base game (i.e. added free to all accounts) a year later . . . so what's the real point? The fact that it was going to be implemented as an expansion was known from before launch.

And no, I'm sorry. If I wanted to "watch" Star Wars space combat, I'll watch the movies. Myself, I'd prefer to actually PLAY Star Wars space combat. The mini-game here is just that, a "mini-game". There's not much about it that makes me feel like I am "playing Star Wars."

I've never expected that from this game--because we've known since early on that this was going to be "space on rails". The two games are vastly different. While Bioware may "expand the space game", I highly doubt it will in any way resemble a space combat simulator set in the Star Wars universe.

I like the current incarnation of space combat in swtor... It actually works really well... However, improvements and additions can be made. The suggestion of guild capital ship vs guild capital ship with players in cannons and/or freighters/fighters dogging it out would be pretty fricking awesome aswell.

I love space flight games. I've played hundreds of hours of X3: Terran Conflict, and X-Wing: Alliance is a favorite too. One thing I've learned, though, is that space travel is *boring*. It's so boring that X3 (and the rest of the series) let you compress time so you spend 1/10 of the time actually traveling.

What the X-Wing series focused on, though, was scenarios. It wasn't "open" space like a persistent universe, but it was 3d and was all about the dogfighting. That's essentially what the space missions are, but I hope we get full 3d space missions someday.

On a different note, there's at least two threads on page 1 right now complaining it takes too long to get out of out ships to a planet. I guarantee it wouldn't take less time to fly between planets in open space.

Does anybody remember Freelancer? I think space combat kinda like that would be fun. Could incorporate NPCs on ground and stations to give space missions, or even heroic space missions for groups\multiplayer. Just my thoughts

Bingo.

Look, I loved SWG, it's tied with EvE for the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever enjoyed - but it's gone now, and it's not coming back in TOR-form. Instead of whinging and moaning at Bioware to wholesale rip-off the JtL expansion, how about we make sensible and realistic suggestions on how to improve the current game? The quoted above is a perfect example; Freelancer was a great game, and creating free-space zones for PvP or PvE would be far easier using that game as a basis considering the current space mechanics, than completely scrapping the existing style and content in order to re-re-remake TIE Fighter.

IF they add above planet's surface kind of missions (even on rails), similiar to feeling you got playing star wars: rogue squadron, then it will be awesome minigame to this great mmorpg.

That'd be a great stopgap, too. Especially for planets like Balmorra and Ilum, where ships fly around above you (they do during Battle of Ilum anyway).

Out of curiousity, when was the last time you played SWG's space combat? A number of changes happened late in the game. Strafing runs on cities controlled by the opposing faction were quite Star-Wars'y. It's extremely unfortunate that atmospheric flight didn't get added earlier. The actual feel that you were playing Star Wars was bumped up an infinite number of notches. And not just from a combat-sense.

I've wanted to fly and fight in the Star Wars universe from the time I saw the first film as a teen back in '78. I don't have the answer, but I do know that I've never expected this game to fulfill that particular gaming area for me.

In your opinion.

It's Star Fox 1992 with better graphics, it's the sort of game you'd expect to find on a smart phone these days.

Now that's not to say it's bad, for what it is, but it is very, very limited (what was genuinely ground breaking in 1992 is not in 2012) and does get very boring, very quickly.

If you play space missions every day on more than one character it soon begins to resemble a kinda of purgitory, certainly not "fun".

I agree that the space combat could be more innovative and have more features such as ship pvp etc (which would be amazing btw), but as it stands at the moment i dont see it as true space combat just a simple minigame to earn a bit of XP and money to break up the questing routine. We will have to just hope that bioware will expand on this portion of the game in further patches or expansions.

It's a mini-game designed for a niche market. Frankly I put it in the same vein as some forms of PvP. In other words, it's not for everyone. Perhaps it has a smaller target audience, but I expect it also had a significantly smaller budget.

FYI for many of you, I have no interest in ground based PvP, and I have no interest in space based PvP. I very much enjoy space, for what it is, thanks. Improvements will be looked forward to and appreciated, but don't knock what it is wholesale just because YOU don't enjoy it and I won't knock PvP just because *I* don't enjoy it.

It's a mini-game designed for a niche market. Frankly I put it in the same vein as some forms of PvP. In other words, it's not for everyone. Perhaps it has a smaller target audience, but I expect it also had a significantly smaller budget.

FYI for many of you, I have no interest in ground based PvP, and I have no interest in space based PvP. I very much enjoy space, for what it is, thanks. Improvements will be looked forward to and appreciated, but don't knock what it is wholesale just because YOU don't enjoy it and I won't knock PvP just because *I* don't enjoy it.

It was great....... in 1992. :D