The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BW went backwards in space combat?

Cesar_Andrade

I love this game to death and have a lot of faith in Bioware that they will fix a lot of the problems present but I can't help but say that the space combat in this game gets lame after 3-4 times...It feels like Star fox which is great but whoever wanted this to be the main space combat in the game should be spanked with the EA paddle.

What happened to SWG space combat where I could enter my ship (ON THE PLANET) then fly straight up into the Atmosphere to were I could explore and fly in any direction I wanted...If only SWTOR had that then maybe it would be an excellent game, but for now its only good because I want to feel like I'm playing Star Wars.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this game to death and have a lot of faith in Bioware that they will fix a lot of the problems present but I can't help but say that the space combat in this game gets lame after 3-4 times...It feels like Star fox which is great but whoever wanted this to be the main space combat in the game should be spanked with the EA paddle.

What happened to SWG space combat where I could enter my ship (ON THE PLANET) then fly straight up into the Atmosphere to were I could explore and fly in any direction I wanted...If only SWTOR had that then maybe it would be an excellent game, but for now its only good because I want to feel like I'm playing Star Wars.

Yeah, SWG space combat....that didn't exist until 16 months after the game released in the form of an expansion pack!

Wait, you want to feel like you're playing Star Wars? Have you seen Star Wars space combat?

SWTOR Space Combat looks more like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKWt0485uc4 then SWG ever did.

its not "main space combat" its a largely pointless mini game with some progression and a daily quest they gave you as an extra when they really had no pressure to give you anything resembling space combat.

honestly the game could have came out with NONE AT ALL and people would have said less about it.

beats the crap out dropping bombs from gryphons on auto pilot tho....

Space trains, please have your tickets ready.

oh shut up.

its like star fox, which was universally acclaimed. its on rails because they can easily make that involving and cinematic with a narrative to events plus you were told the space flight side of gameplay was going to be extended the day after the game launched.

name one ground and space based mmo with free flight.

go on !

i'll wait...

Edited by Sleekit

I know the space combat is not meant to be what I and a lot of other want it to be but...

Why put it in the game at all then? After I did each mission 3-5 times on my Jugg I was done. I have not touched space combat on my Operative. Why did they put something in the game that so few people will ever touch on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th character?

I just don't get it.

I know the space combat is not meant to be what I and a lot of other want it to be but...

Why put it in the game at all then? After I did each mission 3-5 times on my Jugg I was done. I have not touched space combat on my Operative. Why did they put something in the game that so few people will ever touch on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th character?

I just don't get it.

because it lays the mechanics groundwork for extension (plus there is a daily k'now)

think about that post launch day announcement ok ?

two things were in that (amongst others) : guild capital ships and extending the space combat game...brain forming a possibly picture combining the two yet ?

guild on guild pvp. capital ship against capital ship. take out the (manned) guns, board, strom the corridors, kill the npc Captain (and/or guild leader or whatever) chalk up your victory on a leaderboard ? matches are "planned" in advance through a guild master/officer cut screen face off/challenge type deal.

not doing it for you ? what about the speeder attack on the walkers on Hoth replicated on a totally pvp world that's cross server matched on a 1 to 1 player basis complete with ground troops, pilots, AT-Ats and artillery.

point is the flight mechanics & engine and ships are all there all done and ready to be copy pasted into new scenarios.

where they take it now is up to Bioware....and the players.

i will say one thing tho: free space games, "real" free space games like people think they want are f'ing boring as hell.

Edited by Sleekit

This isn't the sequal to SWG, it's the sequal to KOTOR. In that regard Bioware has actually gone forward a little.

its not "main space combat" its a largely pointless mini game with some progression and a daily quest they gave you as an extra when they really had no pressure to give you anything resembling space combat.

honestly the game could have came out with NONE AT ALL and people would have said less about it.

beats the crap out dropping bombs from gryphons on auto pilot tho....

oh shut up.

its like star fox, which was universally acclaimed. its on rails because they can easily make that involving and cinematic with a narrative to events plus you were told the space flight side of gameplay was going to be extended the day after the game launched.

go on !

i'll wait...

Earth and beyond. But EA shut that down, didn't they.

Wait, you want to feel like you're playing Star Wars? Have you seen Star Wars space combat?

SWTOR Space Combat looks more like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKWt0485uc4 then SWG ever did.

^ This.

I have to agree, this is Star Wars space combat. I was really spoiled after playing Star Trek Online fro a long time. But I now understand what BW tried to do with Space Combat. Throw you in the midst of it and reproduce this kind of scene.

It's just a pity that the ship is really just a Transport hub.

Earth and beyond. But EA shut that down, didn't they.
touché :)

I have to agree, this is Star Wars space combat. I was really spoiled after playing Star Trek Online fro a long time. But I now understand what BW tried to do with Space Combat. Throw you in the midst of it and reproduce this kind of scene.

It's just a pity that the ship is really just a Transport hub.

the fact its "on rails" allows them to direct the scene and give the entire experience a dramatic narrative.

real free space simulators tend to be, as i said, boring. and nothing like star wars. star wars "space flight" is based on ww2 era dogfighting and its (fictional) depiction in movies.

space, as it says in hitchhikers, is big, really big...and most of it is empty of interest and/or exciting action sequences...

tbh this subject is a pretty good example of people thinking they want something they actually don't.

i can't imagine how the folks who want instant travel everywhere (in an other current thread) could possibly deal with trying to find an enemy to shoot in the boundless limits of space.

Edited by Sleekit

go on !

i'll wait...

STO, though that took two years before they got the ground combat close to fun and the space combat is literally ripped right from CO's flight mechanics (you have to speed up in order to 'lift off' from the 'ground' in sector space) and space combat doesn't have full 3D freedom either.

...I'm guessing you wanted better examples :p

yeah i hope space combat evolves into something more, which it sounds like it will. As it is though after the first couple missions i haven't even bothered with it. a single player on rails shooter just seems out of place in an MMO. If space ship PvP gets implemented (hopefully in a way described in a previous post) this game will be even more awesome. its like Sleekit said though or at least thats what i hope. maybe if we are lucky the first expansion will introduce a more fleshed out space game. (or if we are REALLLLY lucky even before then)

I just don't get it.

There are people who enjoy it - and through commendations people who likes doing it dont do it in vain.

It is a secondary gamemode that the player do not have to play, unless he/she wants to. It gives the players more things to do - if they want.

It works much like WoW quests where you operate some moving construct of sorts like a flying balloon dropping bombs or on a flying creature. I think the final quest in booty bay had a flying sequence of some sorts, worked very much like space combat in SWTOR.

If BW went backward then what lies forward? SWTOR gets you to the action with plenty of options where to shoot. You could not fly to the hotspot any quicker nor navigate any better once there. I think asking for free style navigation is too much because of the extra dimension in space. Obviously space combat was made to look like the classic battle at Endor and it does. You just couldn't duplicate those maneuvers, it would be dumb.

If anything take away the need to fly around asteroids and other obstacles.

STO, though that took two years before they got the ground combat close to fun and the space combat is literally ripped right from CO's flight mechanics (you have to speed up in order to 'lift off' from the 'ground' in sector space) and space combat doesn't have full 3D freedom either.

...I'm guessing you wanted better examples :p

i play STO and to me its not "free flight" (and trek "flight" isn't flight anyway ;P)

as you said its a thinly disguised adaptation of the existing engine complete with loading screens. hell i've even fell to the "floor" in my ship...

Edited by Sleekit

I loved The Space Combat in Star Wars Galaxies. It was like a simple flight simulation yet it still had the elemants of the MMO genre with seperate space leveling and buying better parts for you're ship.

The biggest thing I hate about the space in SWTOR is that your first and only ship you get is like some massive light freighter. I miss in Galaxies where you started with some TIE Fighter or a Z-95 and it took a long long time to eventually get a massive ship like a YT-1300. I remember the first time some guy got a few guys together to go do some space missions in his huge ship and we all got on the turrets.

I miss Galaxies so much :mon_frown:

They have stated multiple times that it was a mini game, noting more, and nothing less.

Edited by siegedeluxe