Let Bioware know you want an option to disable smart camera.

Flowerslayer

Are you also suffering from tunnelvision when trying to enjoy the beautiful galaxy Bioware have created for us?

Do you feel sick and tired of having your camera view instantly snap back to a position behind your character when you let go of the mousebutton?

This is the smart cam/auto follow function. It is a probably a very comfortable option for players who use the keyboard to move their characters. Having the camera automatically adjust your view allows the player to use the mouse to click on abilities etc.

For some of us however, it is the most frustrating feature of the game, period. For one, it's very difficult to target or just see what's going on behind me - I first have to zoom out to max camera distance. It's just not very smooth (that's what she said heh).

If you don't have a problem with this and no clue why I'm complaining, think of it as having your companions constantly coming back from crew skill missions. Quite frustrating.

I don't know about you guys, but when I start a new game the first thing I do is to locate the camera options and disable the smart camera. That's right, it's usually an option. Not in SWTOR it isn't. You do not have a choice.

So why is there no option to turn it off already? Is it hardcoded and just not possible to change? Is it the engine? I want to be able to freely control/maneuver my character. This limitation, because that's what it is, just flat out sucks the fun out of fast paced combat imo.

So what do you guys think? Smart cam good or bad? Do you want to see an option to turn it off? Why/why not?

The inability to disable camera snapback has been one of the main issues I keep bringing up but usually doesn't get much attention if any. Another similar issue is companion responsiveness (your companion taking 3 seconds to execute your commands instead of instantly).

I hope they allow us to disable camera snapback but the startling lack of demand for this issue makes me think it is here to stay.

i like the snapback and hope it stays

if the people who dislike snapback are truly only wanting it for "enjoying the scenery" then they won't mind if snapback is retained for pvp?

i am guessing they would mind a great deal. the real reason it's wanted is for pvp, so that they can faceroll with their ranged attacks.

you don't need to remove snapback to enjoy the game scenery. you can stand still and swivel your camera any direction you like.

if the people who dislike snapback are truly only wanting it for "enjoying the scenery" then they won't mind if snapback is retained for pvp?

i am guessing they would mind a great deal. the real reason it's wanted is for pvp, so that they can faceroll with their ranged attacks.

you don't need to remove snapback to enjoy the game scenery. you can stand still and swivel your camera any direction you like.

Well the OP did say "Option to Disable"

Yeah, too bad that argument is a logical fallacy though. Me "facerolling" without the smartcam does not in any way shape or form prevent you from also facerolling without the smartcam.

Edited by Flowerslayer

I certainly want an option to disable the smart-pivot. It's the first thing i disable when i make a new character in WoW and after spending 20 minutes trying to figure out how to toggle it off in the interface options I was disappointed to discover BioWare hadn't implemented such a simple preference. I do hope the option will be introduced soon in a patch.

This is the WORST for a guardian tank, because for me, keeping aggro involves lots of jumping all over the place. Sometimes I want to keep the camera on one enemy, but jump to someone (or throw my saber at) behind me to grab aggro. It takes precious seconds that the poor squishy I'm trying to save might not have!

Yes please!!!

This was the 1st thing I looked for in the camera settings and couldnt find :(

Yeah, I was shocked when I couldnt find it. There really needs to be an option to turn it off. Other mmo's have it because they realize that people play differently and that camera setup can make or break a certain playstyle.

Need to keep this up guys if we want them to see it. Anyways thanks for posting, remember to like, comment rate, subscribe XD

Just an option to disable, that's all that's needed.

The quote above speaks the truth!

I am all in for the option to disable the "smart" camera.

Some words from the development team with at least a confirmation that they have read it would be nice.

In this video, Mr. James Ohlen says "We are always listening to the community". Prove it please! I know that some suggestions have impact on other things, but this one is harmless, as all we are asking for is the option to disable this nonsense. That way, people that don't care about it and who are fine with the smart camera won't even notice.

As has already been pointed out, no one is advocating the removal of it, only the OPTION to use it or not.

I hate the camera system, it is horrible in every way for me and I will add my vote to the call for alternate options.

As has already been pointed out, no one is advocating the removal of it, only the OPTION to use it or not.

I hate the camera system, it is horrible in every way for me and I will add my vote to the call for alternate options.

as long as the 'option' is only available in pve then it's fine

Just a few words in yellow would be really appreciated (provided that the name of the poster is yellow too).

I'm not demanding an immediate fix as there is plenty of stuff to fix/change/adjust and this is only one of them.

But complete silence for several months is bad (I had access to the beta forums, so yes, "months").

At least say something like:

- "We will not be changing it, so live with it or the door is that way".

- "We want to add the option of deactivating the smart camera but we are not able to".

- "We have heard the wishes and it is on the drawing board and not forgotten, but we do not have any ETA at this point".

Or rename the "Suggestion Box" to "The Black Hole".

I would love the option to turn the snap-back off.

I have never seen any use in having it on. I can't freelook when moving to see the scenery and I can't target anyone or anything to the sides or behind me when I really need to in combat - PvP for example.