Have you seen a major drop-off in players on your server?

Jornas

No drop off at all. Still have no problem getting a group and still meet random allies and enemies whenever I'm questing. I get the feeling population has increased slightly, but that is probably more because *what* people do opposed to how many they are. Edited by Jalden

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We can safely assume there will be no more "huge population increases", what trends we see a little after new years' is , based on the huge sample size, very close to the actual one. There simply aren't spikes of population increase large enough anymore to trigger this "dynamic server cap" system which would otherwise invalidate my point

What is this "dynamic server cap" your talking about? Server caps NOW are firm. They were firm before if I remember correctly, they were just set artificially low to force population spread. Now they are set normal. They dont move dynamically that I am aware of, but I could be wrong.

Once lowered, no matter what, server statistics at that web site will drop. That's what they did, ergo, there is nothing to be gleaned from that information at this point. If we see another huge plummet there, THEN it might matter but at this point, we see what is expected.

Nope; Wall of Light still seems as active as ever, and still seems to favor Republic about 2:1, if several random fleet samplings are to be believed.

And I don't know why we'd expect much different. Those people who did not pay to resub were presumably already not enjoying the game, so why would they still be logging in at all regardless of the balance of time remaining on their free month?

EDIT: If anything, the pubbie population seems to be growing. There were 150 on Coruscant the other day, which was far higher than the last time I was there near launch. Maybe just a bunch of level 50 Empire mains trying out pubbie alts now?

Edited by nezroy

I've noticed a fair amount of decreased activity on my server. Half of my guild has quit, however until official numbers are released we won't know if the game is increasing or decreasing in growth, I would personally guess its decreasing.

Now that we're in to the first suscribed month, I was wondering if people are seeing a huge drop-off on their servers.

I haven't seen that big a drop-off, but then again I'm on a heavily populated server.

No, not really. Each area I have been in still seems to be rather heavily populated and there was still a queue to log on to my server yesterday also.

What is this "dynamic server cap" your talking about? Server caps NOW are firm. They were firm before if I remember correctly, they were just set artificially low to force population spread. Now they are set normal. They dont move dynamically that I am aware of, but I could be wrong.

Once lowered, no matter what, server statistics at that web site will drop. That's what they did, ergo, there is nothing to be gleaned from that information at this point. If we see another huge plummet there, THEN it might matter but at this point, we see what is expected.

By "dynamic cap" i meant Bioware's manipulation of the server caps. Of course we can't be certain they aren't doing it every single day, but my assumption was that this was done only once - at launch. Given that, we naturally see a steep drop around the time when this "cap shift" you talked about occurred. Beyond that point the graph very very close to the actual trends, of course assuming that Bioware isn't playing around with the server caps anymore

Maybe I'm using the ingame /who in a wrong way, but I am wondering why people only report the number of players in a certain area (e.g. fleet or Ilum, etc.).

A few days ago I just searched for all the base classes and the AC and just for the Republic side it gave me "the first 100" for all the Jedi AC, and around 70 to 90 for the other four AC, plus a few dozen for each of the base classes (under level 10). Assuming, that the Imperial side had at least the same amount of people online, it means there were at least 1500 players online on my server at that point.

When I get the chance (after my short vacation), I will try to get better results with different search terms in that search function, but I just wanted to throw that in here as a suggestion for others to try out.

I think I'm going to create a separate thread that deals with those graphs that are constantly misinterpreted and misquoted :jawa_evil:

But, in short:

server caps have been raised, making status categories change. Example: I do regular ingame head counts of a number of servers out of curiosity, and I noticed that a player total that a week or 2-2.5 registered as 'very heavy', last week a somewhat higher player total registered as 'heavy'.

ON TOP OF THAT, not every status and player cap is equal for each server!

Where a player total can register on 1 server as 'heavy', on another server that same player total could register as 'standard'.

As for player numbers in general, I think you have small populated servers as well as heavy ones, the vast majority of 'standard' servers have something of 900-2100 people logged in, which would rank them as medium to high population servers in other MMO's.

The problem is, that on a lot of servers the total number of L50 players is small, most of the times only 10-20% of the total online population is L50 at the moment, sometimes even less.

Maybe I'm using the ingame /who in a wrong way, but I am wondering why people only report the number of players in a certain area (e.g. fleet or Ilum, etc.).

A few days ago I just searched for all the base classes and the AC and just for the Republic side it gave me "the first 100" for all the Jedi AC, and around 70 to 90 for the other four AC, plus a few dozen for each of the base classes (under level 10). Assuming, that the Imperial side had at least the same amount of people online, it means there were at least 1500 players online on my server at that point.

When I get the chance (after my short vacation), I will try to get better results with different search terms in that search function, but I just wanted to throw that in here as a suggestion for others to try out.

Ah, more people who use /who instead of number of ppl in the fleet, good job :D

Here's some handy filters that help with the head count at L50 to use:

50 sorcerer => gives the number of sith sorcerers on your server

50 marauder juggernaut => gives the number of marauder+ juggernaut players

50 ilum => number of people of your faction that are on Ilum

46-49 => number of players that fall into the level 46-49 range

The Exile's Crystal server was Heavy at start now its well 120people only max on fleet imp side, and 80 rebel side on prime times....And its a pvp server, and for example i sit alrdy 2ours infront of rebel base and still din't get killed or saw one dead id say this server. Any pvp server that actually has alot people on and active fighting on Ilum?

Not many Replubic on in any zones on Treyus Academy EU PvP. There is only ever one instance of a zone up up and there is only ever around 11/23/31 depending on the planet and it's relative popularity.

Ilum earlier today for example was 21 players.

Edited by Arutassin

Now that we're in to the first suscribed month, I was wondering if people are seeing a huge drop-off on their servers.

I haven't seen that big a drop-off, but then again I'm on a heavily populated server.

Nope. In fact the farther I get in the game the more populated the zones have become.

Taking today (Sunday), the answer would have to be know. Had to Queue to get ingame for 15 minutes. Went to Fleet, over 200 people, went to Taris, over 100 people.

These are pretty much identical to the numbers I saw at this time last Sunday.

Last night they were even higher, though I had no queue, which struck me as odd..

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been shoveled into the other one by now.

Anyway, yes, I've seen a massive drop off of players on The Courageous. Prime time yesterday, I ran /whos on every location I could think of, from Korriban to Mandalorian Raiders and I scraped together maybe 400 people (go ahead. Call me a liar. I dare you.) What makes it pathetic is that this passes as Standard in the server listing.

I'm sure plenty of servers are thriving, but some are flagging and need to have these population issues addressed.

Edited by XLauncher