[Suggestion] Add Cathar as a playable race

LadyKohastFel

I would like to see this race added to the game, models already exist for the race and there are several NPCs of this race. With a bit of tweaking they could be expanded to have the same degree of customization as other races and be included as a playable race.

Also I loved Juhani in KOTOR...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Definitely got my support and signature. As I've said before and I'll say again: I've been playing my Smuggler since Early Access. I would delete my smuggler in a heartbeat - no hesitation - to remake him as a Cathar if they became playable.

X: Captain Marik Vash__

[Link]

[Link]

[Link}

Edited by Natharious

N OOO as far as Star Wars goes, Cathar is to the universe as Pandas are to that other monstrosity... Please think before you ask for crap races. Thundercats in space?? notaneffinchance.

I'll sign any other playable STAR WARS species, anything influenced by BW can get the hell out of our galaxy! :cool:

N OOO as far as Star Wars goes, Cathar is to the universe as Pandas are to that other monstrosity... Please think before you ask for crap races. Thundercats in space?? notaneffinchance.

I'll sign any other playable STAR WARS species, anything influenced by BW can get the hell out of our galaxy! :cool:

Well, it's not like you HAVE to play Cathar.

Don't feed a troll... :rolleyes:

Cathar have existed long before BioWare's Juhani. They were first identified as being Cathar in Dark Horse comics in the year 1994, but have canonical appearances slotted as early as 1978. What's more, there are at least two or three distinct types of Cathar in the Star Wars universe: One being the Mainline species that are the most cat-like in appearance, and then you have the Subspecies which are distinctly more Human-like (see my character pics).

The addition of nearly ANY species as playable would increase the game's species diversity. And Cathar are are among the most alien species that still fits into BioWare's proposed criteria for playable species. Their addition to the game would only strengthen it.

Further more, if you don't want to play a Cathar, you don't have to. It's not like you don't already have to deal with them being in the game what with all the NPCs - which includes Aric Jorgan: a significant Companion Character for the Trooper Storyline from the Starter Planet Ord Mantell. So their addition as playable wouldn't be any inconvenience to those that don't like the species.

Edited by Natharious

Don't feed a troll... :rolleyes:

Cathar have existed long before BioWare's Juhani. They were first identified as being Cathar in Dark Horse comics in the year 1994, but have canonical appearances slotted as early as 1978. What's more, there are at least two or three distinct types of Cathar in the Star Wars universe: One being the Mainline species that are the most cat-like in appearance, and then you have the Subspecies which are distinctly more Human-like (see my character pics).

The addition of nearly ANY species as playable would increase the game's species diversity. And Cathar are are among the most alien species that still fits into BioWare's proposed criteria for playable species. Their addition to the game would only strengthen it.

Further more, if you don't want to play a Cathar, you don't have to. It's not like you don't already have to deal with them being in the game what with all the NPCs - which includes Aric Jorgan: a significant Companion Character for the Trooper Storyline from the Starter Planet Ord Mantell. So their addition as playable wouldn't be any inconvenience to those that don't like the species.

I think there are other more iconic species that fit the bill more. What's the '78 reference? Never came across them in the 'dark ages'..

Thundercats is not reknowned for being space based. I just don't think they fit have that Star Wars look. And how many Lion-os would you like running around?? or even Tiggers.. shudder the thought!!

I think there are other more iconic species that fit the bill more. What's the '78 reference? Never came across them in the 'dark ages'..

Thundercats is not reknowned for being space based. I just don't think they fit have that Star Wars look. And how many Lion-os would you like running around?? or even Tiggers.. shudder the thought!!

The timeline is simple. Sites like Wookieepedia, starwars.wikia.com provide lists of appearances for each of the entries. For the Cathar, the earliest listed appearance is 1978.

And yes, there are other more iconic species. But few of them fit the criteria BioWare has set forth, or are ready to be added as the game sits now.

• Rodians are a rather iconic race, however, the do not quite fit BioWare's criteria.

• Wookiees are an extremely iconic race, however they miss several criteria points and are therefore ineligible.

• Devaronians fit in the criteria and would be a good addition, though - though immediately recognizable - aren't the most well known species.

• Nautonlan is a frequently asked for species and fit the criteria, and they are a fairly recognizable with notable species members like Kit Fisto. However, like the Twi'lek, their head tails prove problematic with clothing and helmets. I wouldn't expect Nautonlan - or species with similar head tails such as Togruta or Chagrian - until a more permanent solution is found for those issues.

• Species like Bothan are popular, especially with the playerbase from SWG that played them. However, their height and more animalistic appearance makes them not quite fit BioWare's criteria.

• Kel Dor are popular, but their appearance and dependence on respiratory masks due to their inability to breath oxygen make them unlikely.

• Ithorian are popular, though their physical appearance means they don't fit BioWare's criteria. Also, due to how Ithorians speak, I don't think they are capable of speaking basic.

• Kaleesh are popular, but again their physical appearance makes them unlikely.

• Mon Calamari, again are popular but are rather unlikely.

• Sullustan: Not the most diverse race, which could make customization difficult. They also aren't a rather attractive or Human-like species, no offense to the Sullustan fans out there. In addition, I've never come across a Sullustan that spoke basic, only Sullustese. They might be able to speak Basic, but I've never seen it.

• Trandoshan: Fit right alongside Wookiees. I wouldn't hold my breath for them.

• The Yoda Species will never be playable in any canonical Star Wars game unless it's Yoda himself. Plus their height would cause issues.

In Comparison, the Cathar are rather well know - especially among fans of the Old Republic Era of Star Wars. The Subspecies variety are very similar to Humans, yet they are different enough to stand out as alien. They also pose no problems with clothing, voice acting, or customization.

I will admit the Cathar would have to be reworked so as to be more diverse from the variety that appears as NPCs in the game, but that's not a huge undertaking and it would have to be done with any species added as playable to make sure they had plenty of customization options to set one apart from the other.

The Cathar are prime candidates to be added as playable as they fit all the criteria.

As for the "ThunderCats issue", the issue would largely be adverted when customization options were added. Most Cathar in TOR have pretty much the same facial structure - however that's not the case for canonical Cathar. The Cathar would be just as diverse as the other species in the game were they added. Besides, the people that want Cathar don't want them because they want ThunderCats. They want them because they want Cathars. When all is said and done, the Cathar wouldn't even look like the ThunderCats except in that that they are a Feline/Humanoid species.

As for seeing ThunderCats names running around, so what? It happens. Just like there are sometimes names that resemble Star Wars characters. It'd be the same if Rodians were added: there'd be lots of Greedos. That has nothing to do with as to why or why not a species should be added.

Yes, there are other species that could - and I think should - be added. However, the one that I and, as this thread is testimony to, others personally want is Cathar. There is no reason that the Cathar shouldn't be added when the others are.

If you don't want Cathar or don't want to play them, that's your business. But the entire purpose of this thread is for those that do to say so.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cathar as a playable species as well as any other. There's a thread already up where you can discuss, list and vote which species you'd like to have playable:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=231833

Thank you for your support.

Indeed, but this thread was created as a suggestion thread to bring the attention to BioWare of the desire and demand for the Cathar species to be added as playable in the future, not so much to discuss what other species are wanted. Please don't direct attention away from it; the threads don't have the same purpose.

Edited by Natharious

Well, they've announced that they'll be adding more species before the end of the year (hopefully with extra character slots since I've used up all of mine on my usual server!)

So let's hope that one of them will be Cathar. They actually fit the requirements set by Bioware for making a species work as playable. It's almost a given that Torgruta will be playable so might as well give Cathar as well.

What really is going to be interesting to see is what species they'll use for Imperial classes that aren't Inquisitors or Bounty Hunters that won't upset the lore too much.