Star Wars Galaxies had more potential then ToR does...

inny

This post is mostly for the devs even though im pretty sure they dont care but i know a ton of ppl that have the same mind set i do so all the flamers out there feel free to flame just note that no one will be paying attention. Anyways Ive waited 4 years for this game some ppl im sure longer. I was a religious SWG player was one of my first MMO's.

Anyways the title says it all saddly...SWG even in its worst ( post NGE/CU ) had more of a Star Wars feeling then ToR. If ToR doesnt start proving itself soon its gonna die by the wayside and everyone is gonna be stuck playing with fkin pandas in wow...God forbid that happens i cant go back to that game.

This post is mostly for the devs even though im pretty sure they dont care but i know a ton of ppl that have the same mind set i do so all the flamers out there feel free to flame just note that no one will be paying attention. Anyways Ive waited 4 years for this game some ppl im sure longer. I was a religious SWG player was one of my first MMO's.

Anyways the title says it all saddly...SWG even in its worst ( post NGE/CU ) had more of a Star Wars feeling then ToR. If ToR doesnt start proving itself soon its gonna die by the wayside and everyone is gonna be stuck playing with fkin pandas in wow...God forbid that happens i cant go back to that game.

**** that Panda business ... Play Rift.

"More potential" ?

I'm sorry but while SWG had amazing ideas, it had even worst ideas going on.

That's why it failed. The balance was terrible, the good parts were completely overwhelmed by terrible parts.

TOR has a better "balance" while being more classic, I agree.

Thing is, TOR's potential is pretty good. What TOR is right now, is a disaster.

You mean died in the wool SWG sandboxer doesn't like TOR? Wow, who saw that coming? You could knock me over with a feather.

Remember, he was a religious SWG player who was waiting over FOUR YEARS to see this game in action. Yet somehow didn't give a single thought to how this game was being developed in all that time.

Clearly it lacked potential for profit.

Edit: continued profit, anyway.

Edited by Backbones

Remember, he was a religious SWG player who was waiting over FOUR YEARS to see this game in action. Yet somehow didn't give a single thought to how this game was being developed in all that time.

It would seem that rose-tinted glasses have the ability to make you think that any Star Wars MMO that is being developed will become the next SWG.

I was also a die hard SWG player, grinded 24 professions to unlock Jedi - ouch. I also did my research and knew this game was going to be a on-rails themepark. Even though I knew this I still give it a go, as I really would love to play a Star Wars MMO. This isnt it.

Its a shame really as it really could have been something epic. An on-rails themepark for the first 30 levels, then it opens up to more sandbox type planets, with the crafting based on SWG - would have blown other MMOs away.

"More potential" ?

I'm sorry but while SWG had amazing ideas, it had even worst ideas going on.

That's why it failed. The balance was terrible, the good parts were completely overwhelmed by terrible parts.

It failed as LA/LEC wanted to challenge WoW, same reason for the NGE. Chasing WoW is the only reason SWG was shut down by LA.

Even if ur opinion is correct, swg may have had more potential, but not the backing.

IMO this game has more potential, it has had more money thrown at it, and will continue to have the resources to build. EA and bioware will not have put so much into swtor just to let it slip away. I think the futures gonna be very good for us players.

SWG did indeed have more potential. But it completed screwed up and destroyed many players trust and love for the game.

I had a master creature handler / master heavy swordsman... they removed my class in its entirety from the game after I had spent many hundreds of hours developing it and collecting and nurturing the best creatures I could get.. this destroyed my game entirely.

Swtor has an opportunity to do better and I believe it will.

Any game, whatever state it is in at any given time, has potential. There is no such thing as one game having more then another, as any game from the humblest messy beginnings, can become great. Its just a matter of time, money, vision and having the right people to make it happen. Edited by Wolfhammer

SWG definitely managed to capture that old school Star Wars vibe in a way that TOR doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I love this game. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't feel as lost in a massive, dangerous universe the same way I did in SWG.

But, TOR embodies Star Wars in its own, different way, and I have to admit it's really starting to grow on me. Even though I've followed TOR for a long time, I didn't really begin to fully grasp the scope (and potential) until I started playing my third character.

I think the crafting system is still in its infancy and we'll see expansions to planets and space combat over time. It's a lot of fun now and there's tons of room for this game to grow.

Edited by daemian

Go back and play the mega successful critically acclaimed SWG then..oops too late.

i was also a die hard swg player, grinded 24 professions to unlock jedi - ouch. I also did my research and knew this game was going to be a on-rails themepark. Even though i knew this i still give it a go, as i really would love to play a star wars mmo. This isnt it.

its a shame really as it really could have been something epic. An on-rails themepark for the first 30 levels, then it opens up to more sandbox type planets, with the crafting based on swg - would have blown other mmos away.

amen!

I was also a die hard SWG player, grinded 24 professions to unlock Jedi - ouch. I also did my research and knew this game was going to be a on-rails themepark. Even though I knew this I still give it a go, as I really would love to play a Star Wars MMO. This isnt it.

Its a shame really as it really could have been something epic. An on-rails themepark for the first 30 levels, then it opens up to more sandbox type planets, with the crafting based on SWG - would have blown other MMOs away.

So what you're saying is you TOO expected the game to do something it never suggested it would ever do.

You might have been willing to accept 30 levels of theme park, but still wanted it to magically transform from the theme park caterpillar into the sandbox butterfly at the end-game.

Which means you too made the same mistake of a lot of SWG fans. Which sucks, but really, Bioware was always up front about how different this game was going to be compared to SWG.

So what you're saying is you TOO expected the game to do something it never suggested it would ever do.

You might have been willing to accept 30 levels of theme park, but still wanted it to magically transform from the theme park caterpillar into the sandbox butterfly at the end-game.

Which means you too made the same mistake of a lot of SWG fans. Which sucks, but really, Bioware was always up front about how different this game was going to be compared to SWG.

Exactly. Bioware told us they weren't making SWG2.0 and they said so very early on. If you came here expecting SWG2.0 and are now disappointed that that's not what this game is, you've only got yourselves to blame.

Even if ur opinion is correct, swg may have had more potential, but not the backing.

IMO this game has more potential, it has had more money thrown at it, and will continue to have the resources to build. EA and bioware will not have put so much into swtor just to let it slip away. I think the futures gonna be very good for us players.

Amen! These other Trolls in here just like to hear themselves bleat! This game will do great because it is great. Fail Wars 2 is their next target and won't their forums be alight when it doesn't turn out to be what they promised? You bet it will, I can already hear the tears hitting the floor. :D

Edited by Mashy

Galaxies died a very long time ago. Corpse draggin' nostalgia over it is neither constructive nor useful.