How Important Are Key Bindings vs Point & Click?

MichaelSean

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I used to be a clicker. So I know what you mean about transitioning. It can take some time, but there is another way . . .

About a year ago, after already becoming an accomplished keystroker, I purchased the Razor Naga gaming mouse.

17 button mouse with numbers 1 - 12 placed just under your right thumb.

My piont is, if you have the extra money ($60) and are having some trouble getting used to keybinding - buy this mouse. The learning curve is, imo, much faster & it tottaly makes keybinding obsolete.

Imagine having all your class abilities at the reach of your right thumb, how much freedom that gives your left hand . . . you will never have to stop moving to press a key again.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend a G13 + a mouse with at least 5 buttons.

Stack 2 bars at the bottom of the screen. G1-G7 = 1-7 on top bar. G8-G14 = 1-7 on bottom bar. Joystick is for strafing. Top thump button targets next, other thumb button jumps. G15 and higher does bar switching, voice comm PTT and companion abilities.

Auto-run gets bound to the forward thumb button on the mouse. Bind "move backwards" to the rear mouse thumb button. This way you have most of the movement and camera functions on the mouse. Your left thumb can strafe for you if you ever feel like strafing.

Ehhhhh...

Razer products are far less stressful on the hands for serious gaming - that alone makes them worth the money imo.

But yeah, their impact on actual playing is debatable :p

Some people swear by them - some are probably just attracted to the comfort, aesthetic or overpriced nature :)

I'm a System Administrator so I suffer from carpal tunnel problems already, so the comfort is amazing, really has improved my symptoms quite a bit. They do look nice too though. :D

I have never understood why players that mouse drive still use the keyboard for strafing.

Assigning them to your mouse thumb buttons is much more efficient, in my opinion. One hand for movement and the other for abilities.

Because most of us grew up using WASD playing FPS games.

And binding a mouse button to go backward or to strafe doesn't change anything since that's a mouse button you can't spend on a skill.

Edited by Smashbrother

Because most of us grew up using WASD playing FPS games.

And binding a mouse button to go backward or to strafe doesn't change anything since that's a mouse button you can't spend on a skill.

Actually, since I own a mouse with just two side thumb buttons, I was considering mapping them to my frontward and backward movements leaving my left hand completely free for targeting, strafing, jumping and my powers.

Seems like it should work well IN THEORY.

Actually, since I own a mouse with just two side thumb buttons, I was considering mapping them to my frontward and backward movements leaving my left hand completely free for targeting, strafing, jumping and my powers.

Seems like it should work well IN THEORY.

.. I hope you're not being serious, buddy.

I usually rebind my movements to E,D,S,F and bind all my major moves in clusters around there based their effect e.g. CC, Heals, Attacks and so on.

Attacks are usually R,T,G,B,V,C,4,5,6, while the defensive type of stuff goes 1,2,3,Q,W,A,Z,X.

Edited by Aluckyshot

Fine, snide remark.

Still waiting for the explanation, however.

Simple. Grandmaster SC2 player right here, here's what I do;

Hold right click while you move your screen.

Use:

shift+12345,

shift+QWERT,

shift+ASDFG,

shift+MNBVC

rebind CAPSLOCK

rebind SHIFT (replace previous cmd with ALT GR)

Got a mouse with buttons? Rebind those to Delete, Num LK, Home, Page Up, Page DN, and End (insert additional commands here)

Rebind UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT-arrow to anything you want.

½/§ is good, too.

F1-6 can be useful, but only if you're really accurate.

That's my RTS setup that I use for MMO's, too.

Pro tip: DO NOT bind Z and X, this is bad for repositioning your hand, you want to rest your middle-finger on W. This will help you co-ordinate easily. This is a very effective 300 APM setup.

Additionally: you can rebind UIOP(Å), HJLK(Æ, Ø) for different roles. (commonly used to maneuvering advanced control-groups in RTS games, can be used to manage different roles in MMO's)

Edited by Sarah_Kerrigan

I usually rebind my movements to E,D,S,F and bind all my major moves in clusters around there based their effect e.g. CC, Heals, Attacks and so on.

Attacks are usually R,T,G,B,V,C,4,5,6, while the defensive type of stuff goes 1,2,3,Q,W,A,Z,X.

It still seems to me that that doesn't solve the problem of having to move AND press powers with the same fingers. That's what trips me up.

It would seem like, by mapping as many movement powers as you can manage to your mouse, you're freeing your left hand up completely to do everything else.

It still seems to me that that doesn't solve the problem of having to move AND press powers with the same fingers. That's what trips me up.

It would seem like, by mapping as many movement powers as you can manage to your mouse, you're freeing your left hand up completely to do everything else.

Your left hand is faster than your right (if your left hand is the one resting on W)

It's faster to hit x-button then move, then hit y-button and move again.

It's all about having agile hands and a plan in your head.

Don't overthink it.

Basically if you can get comfortable with anything that frees up a bunch keys instead of merely using the number row for moves you will kick ***!

Your left hand is faster than your right (if your left hand is the one resting on W)

It's faster to hit x-button then move, then hit y-button and move again.

It's all about having agile hands and a plan in your head.

Don't overthink it.

Well, I can type like nobody's business (I'm a writer) so I like to think my hands are fairly agile.

:)

Basicly if you get used to your keybinds you can react within a split second, that gives you a pretty extreme lead in PvP. In beta i used to click cause i was not used to my abilities but now i bind everything.

You can compare it with a skilled martial artist vs someone who hasnt trained. If he is going to defend a punch, he will stop and think about it and then react. A skilled martial artist will react with pure instinct and block. So keybinding is alot faster ;)

I don't know if people mentioned to you yet but you said you had trouble to keep moving when you have to let go of the W key, there's two tips i can give you about that.

First, try to never let go of it. Press W with your middle finger and use your other 4 fingers while holding down the W key, after awhile it comes naturally.

Second, if you absolutely must let go of the W key, and want to keep moving, press Left and Right mouse button at the same time. You can still pan around your vision, and it works just like the W key, you'll keep moving foward.

Well, I can type like nobody's business (I'm a writer) so I like to think my hands are fairly agile.

:)

Micro-management is key and has nothing to do with writing. Being a professional writer does not make your APM magnificent.

Playing the piano, however does.

Edited by Sarah_Kerrigan

I was previously a keyboard turner and button clicker and I wanted to up my game but couldn't get used to using left hand for key binds.

I therefore purchased a Razer Naga mouse and now have all the key binds that would be on my left hand set to the 1234567890-= keys on the Naga. It has helped my game massively.

Whilst the Naga isn't right for everyone I found it really useful and if you find it hard to adjust to using your left hand for casting rather than right it may be worth a look.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169418900/categoryId.54536600

EDIT to add:

I also use shift and ctrl modifiers with these and so have effectively 36 binds just on the mouse with shift and ctrl. Obv you can have even more if you like.

Edited by Arutassin

To the OP:

As long as you don't use the arrows to turn like a baddie you're fine haha. Long *** cooldowns in this game allow for mouseclickery at its finest imo.

Im a button masher and Ive noticed that there are a few Marauder abilities that if I button mash too much my character does a studder type of move where I will basically start/stop real quick which kind of screws up my rotation because its about a half second delay. Frustrating and I hope it gets fixed, but until then, I mash buttons and watch my guy have a mild seizure when I use a few of my abilities. :p

GL!