How Important Are Key Bindings vs Point & Click?

MichaelSean

Trust me on this

bind every semi important key to your keyboard and never click again

might take a few weeks to get use to but if you want to be decent at pvp u have to bind keys

also people say clickers can still function well in pvp

this is 100% a lie you will get man handled by any seasoned pvper if u click

(not going to suger coat it. clicking does not cut it in pvp)

Edited by mondose

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ... well I've NEVER used A and D to turn. In fact, I really have traditionally never touched the A and D buttons ... just W and my mouse.

I'm talking more about activating powers. Clicking on them with my mouse versus using the key bindings. That's what I'm struggling with. Because I use the W for forward movement, when I take my finger off the W to press an attack button, my character stands still. That's what I meant when I said it was achieving the opposite effect of what I was intending. More rooted vs more mobile.

Well the idea of A and D are that in combat you can still keep your target at the distance you want him to be as you will only be circling him, which can put you behind him. This keeps your opponent from being able to use abilities on you. If you use W you will just close distance which is bad if you are ranged, or walk right through them which is bad if you are melee.

Hold down both mouse buttons for when you want to move forward.

Use one finger on that hand to strafe and the other to push your activation buttons. Never take your hand off the mouse. Pretty much ALWAYS hold down the right mouse button to turn your character. Use TAB to target people. You will always be moving and using your abilities every global cooldown.

Use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... shift 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... and other modifiers of these for abilities. Once you get used to that you can start binding R, T, F, G, etc.

You can also bind your most commonly used abilities to mousewheel down, up, mousewheel click, and shift modifiers for those as well.

This might all sound complicated but your game increases drastically once you get used to it. When I first started WoW I was a clicker and realized i could never win duels or any PvP match at the level cap. I spent a good amount of time practicing in duels with my own faction using keybinds the whole time. Now its second nature and I was able to achieve the highest ranks in pvp.

Hope this info helps! Its nice to see a player wanting to improve their game rather than just complain about everything. Good luck!

Anyone have the Logitech G110 keyboard? I got it specifically for MMO's like this but I haven't played an MMO since last winter. I'm just wondering if ya can use the macro keys to the left of the keyboard as a substitute for buttons like 5,6,7, etc. I remember switching from 1-9 to Q,E,R,F,T, mouse buttons, and started using macros a lot more in Wow. It made the game easier and more fun to play. I also was more effective in PVP. Give up the mouse clicking man, you will never go back.

you shouldnt need a extra buttons on a mouse or extra macros on a keyboard to bind all your abilitys to a place where u can reach them effectively

extra buttons and macros do help but they arent needed

you can easily just redesign your keybind layout rather then buying a 100$ keyboard >.>

you shouldnt need a extra buttons on a mouse or extra macros on a keyboard to bind all your abilitys to a place where u can reach them effectively

extra buttons and macros do help but they arent needed

you can easily just redesign your keybind layout rather then buying a 100$ keyboard >.>

I already have the keyboard and it was worth the money to me. It feels better and has more options then that sorry Dell keyboard I had. It was about $70 if I remember correctly. Im just wondering if the game can accept the macro keys as normal keys like 1-5. If not, still nice to have when I start making my kinda worthless/pointless macros.

I already have the keyboard and it was worth the money to me. It feels better and has more options then that sorry Dell keyboard I had. It was about $70 if I remember correctly. Im just wondering if the game can accept the macro keys as normal keys like 1-5. If not, still nice to have when I start making my kinda worthless/pointless macros.

I agree completley its worth the money was just sayin that you should fine w/o all these crazy macro keybind options p;

i have a razor black widow myself [x

Thats guide is very helpful@

the only thing wrong about it is the dead zone keys he acts like there hard to hit but if you just use your ring finger for all the deadzone keys theres no need to restrict them to only long cooldowns abilitys

(well not all use ur pinky for tap and `)

Edited by mondose

Finding a setup that works for YOU is the best thing you can ever do. I spent quite some time making a custom setup that works for me personally. Some people have small hands, others large, others get RSI, and others arn't that flexible. You need to work out something that you can use. This is the definition of the perfect keyboard setup for an mmo: The perfect key binding setup is one which allows you to use any ability, or any string of abilities, at any time, while moving in any direction, or any combination of directions, while still maintaining the ability to use push to talk or change targets at any moment.

Accomplish this and you will have a distinct advantage over anyone else in the game.

i use e, s, d and f for movement, which gives you a few extra key to bind: q, w and a.

im playing with an older logitech mouse which has two bottons right next to your thumb(can be found on most products), and this gives me the option to bind them to either: shift, ctrl or alt.

this basicly means you can bind all your keys around e, s, d, and f three times.

etc. "ability1" binded to "r"

"ability2" binded to "alt+r"

"ability3" binded to "ctrl+r"

this way your mobility isnt effected at all and you'll loads of keys to bind.

and dont forget the scroll on the mouse. pressing scroll down also counts as a key

i use e, s, d and f for movement, which gives you a few extra key to bind: q, w and a.

It all depends on keyboard, realy. In some cases e/d/s/f kesy are aligned same way as w/s/a/d, in some don't and it takes lot of effort to forget that when you'r fingers are in ufamiliar position, that how they should be. Main reason I don't do this, this would mess up my feeling of keyboard while playing other games.

Also, in most keyboards access to alt/ctrl/shift keys is easier from wsad, altough that is important only when they are bound or can be used as modifers.

take a look at this... taugrim.com guides section

you dont' have to do his binds exactly but you'll get the point

I tried it and didn't like it. HOWEVER, many a reply on his youtube video are saying just the opposite, that they love it. So its personal pref.

Here is my set up (link below). IMO its more natural feeling than Taugrim's. You will need a mouse with several buttons on the side. As you'll see I have 8 that I use, but with Razer Naga you have 12 on the side. Various other mice have varying numbers.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s302/harvestr/SWTOR/ubbermouse.jpg

they're a waste of money

a normal keyboard and a normal mouse are all you need to bind and use every ability

And technically all you need to panel an entire room is a hammer and some nails, however a nailgun is a lot more effective.

The biggest benefit of the Nostromo is the software that lets you create some pretty insane macros in addition to the thumb pad. Usually your thumbs are totally wasted with a traditional keyboard/mouse setup because the only keys you end up hitting with your keyboard thumb is space and your left thumb ends up on a couple of mouse keys.

The biggest benefit of the plethora of buttons on the naga is that you can eliminate a lot of shift/ctrl modifier binds.

For both you can also bind key combinations such as "shift+1" meaning that you hit 2 buttons with 1 keystroke.

On topic: When I started binding, I'd bind Q, E, R, F, T,G, C, V and 1, 2 , 3 , 4 ,5 and then I expanded it to include shift modifiers (before getting the naga/nostromo) if you search on youtube you can find some good guides to both keybinds and circle strafing.

Point and click can not win over someone who is equally skilled that uses binds... I have to use point and click thanks to pain in my left hand and the fact I haven't found a keyboard or keypad big enough for my hand that would be comfortable.

Some of us are just screwed its why I never really played FPS games and stuck with MMOs but, MMOs seem to be going in this direction so I chose to be at a disadvantage and comfortable.

You and your fat fingers! :p

Myself I am one of the `123456qertfgzxc + shift/Ctrl/alt variants depending on the game and what is able to be bound. :cool:

I usually don't bind anything I use frequently past 5.

My key binds are usually:

First row : 1,2,3,4,5,r,t

Second row: z,x,c,v,f,g

Then I can use q/e or shift variations if I still need more keys.

this keeps all the binds near your w,a,s,d movement keys and should keep you from feeling as rooted.

Dont waste money on gear.

As others have already said.

TAUGRIM.

Watch this from 11:45. Its part 1 of 6 about keybinds.

Peace

OO, i was going to post this, i have to admit to using my mouse to turn since playing MMO's, but i had until about 6 months ago, never just used mouse and only the 2 strafe keys, i had W and S bound to backwards and forwards. Plus i had useless keys on my "prime real estate" keys, like map and logbook. Since finding Taugrims streams, i have changed considerably to how i bind keys on my keyboard and how i play in general.

I now slate my friends for still mouse clicking abilities as i understand, its taking your focus from the action which is where it should be, not looking at what ability i need to click next. If you are used to using your mouse for looking around and turning even slightly in game, you will pick it up quite quickly and it becomes very much, second nature.

Alright, I'm going to give it a solid two weeks. Like I said in my initial post, starting with a brand new character in a brand new game seemed like THE ideal time. Maybe by the time I'm through the training grounds I'll look like I can actually walk and chew gum at the same time.

And thank you all for the great input! I really appreciate it.

The other thing is in most games if u press and hold right mouse button, then press left, it causes you to move forward. After you have practiced this enough, it really will become second nature to you. I normaly use W A S D keys this way.

W - forward

S - back

A - strafe left

D - strafe right

Most of the advice here has been solid, and if you use it that way you will get much better at PvP AND in any fights/boss fights where you have to move. As many posters have already said, this gets to be second nature very quickly.

The one thing they haven;t talked about is mouse movement - not just using right mouse to rotate, but also to move forward. I don;t use it all the time, but it can be VERY useful sometimes... depending on what I'm doing, at least. :D

I want to thank everyone in this thread that didn't turn into a raging jerk on the subject. I have seen a lot of threads like this go downhill fast.

I'd like to second that. Threads like these, a lot of times, turn into flame wars, but there's been a lot of really helpful advice here.

Just an update ... I leveled my Jedi to 6 last night using the new method of binding my attack powers to hot keys (I was NEVER a keyboard turner, always a mouse turner ... not sure how I accidentally gave people the impression that I turned with the keyboard). Anyway ... at first I was trying to do TOO much at once, working on moving AND using hot keys for my powers. Then I decided to just take it one step at a time and work on getting used to keys activating my powers rather than using the point and click method. It's not second nature yet but I did improve quite a bit over the 6 levels.

One problem I kept running into, however, was my attack powers not activating unless I had the red targeting crosshair directly over the target. I don't remember this ever being an issue in WOW. Is that something unique to TOR to make combat more active?