Why are so many people against Arena in Swtor?

Sedic

I want arenas.

Im a noob but i want arenas cuz i like competive play even though im casual and noob. I have nothing against to loose to players that are better than me or just the fact that someone has better gear than me or a class that i cant beat. I dont care.

Its fun to play a bit of skillmaking pvp. To see how bad or good you are, you character is.

Rly all grow up and admit you suck. Its okay to suck, i suck too probably more than most ppl here.

So why cant we have arenas? its not like you have to play it or care about it ?

Just add arenas, i dont care if there is rewards but i want competive pvp. And yes im noob and in wow i was around 1700rating. I was happy about that. If i met the uber fotm i just afked out anyways.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want arenas.

Im a noob but i want arenas cuz i like competive play even though im casual and noob. I have nothing against to loose to players that are better than me or just the fact that someone has better gear than me or a class that i cant beat. I dont care.

Its fun to play a bit of skillmaking pvp. To see how bad or good you are, you character is.

Rly all grow up and admit you suck. Its okay to suck, i suck too probably more than most ppl here.

Because there's yet another thing that should be dominated by the exploiters and imperial zerg. Fix the game first.

And grow up? Have you considered that maybe before you get your personal validation and epeen measuring stick implemented I'd like to have my daily missions and gameplay bugs fixed? All it boils down to is your need to be validated by the game - someone to tell you you're doing a good job with your tracer missile spam.

Edited by dcgregorya

Because there's yet another thing that should be dominated by the exploiters and imperial zerg. Fix the game first.

And grow up? Have you considered that maybe before you get your personal validation and epeen measuring stick implemented I'd like to have my daily missions and gameplay bugs fixed? All it boils down to is your need to be validated by the game - someone to tell you you're doing a good job with your tracer missile spam.

That was uncalled for, he made a valid point that we don't need to be so "precious" about a specific way of playing, and your response to that is to insult him and his opinion. I don't think he's the one in the wrong here.

dude i play imperial sniper and its a damn boring stupid class. only reason i dont reroll is cuz the game sucks way too much.

Arena would help. then maybe i would log once a day. Right now im just readin forums.

TLDR : Arenas were fun in wow, a lot of people used them. Why are there masses of people so against in a 100% voluntary action in a game?

No they weren't. They were biased against folks who wanted to be in an actual battle against their opposing faction. PVP in an MMO should be more than just dueling, which is basically all arenas are.

If you are at WAR with an enemy, you should have to freakin' fight them.

<< And yes I hate Huttball.

//edit//

I want arenas.

So why cant we have arenas? its not like you have to play it or care about it ?

Just add arenas, i dont care if there is rewards but i want competive pvp. And yes im noob and in wow i was around 1700rating. I was happy about that. If i met the uber fotm i just afked out anyways.

I was a casual player in wow for almost 7 years. I managed to get my 160k honor a week and climb the ladder before arenas.

You claiming to be a "noob" and having a "1700 rating" is exactly why arena sucks: people can cruise their way up the ladder at a leisurely rate and have top gear. Why should folks who spend 2 hours a week playing have the same gear as folks who spend 12 hours a week playing? (And don't get me wrong, I'm still a casual in this game. I just don't have unrealistic expectations that I should be as equally geared (as quickly) as folks who spend a lot more time in the game than I do.)

Edited by Nemu

I'm very good at simracing (pc simulation racing like iracing or rfactor for example) and what I have learned from there is that people just don't believe that there might be someone better yet alone much better at what they do. In that genre everything is fair and the cars are identical. Only the setup of the car, meaning brake balanace, spring stiffness, dampers etc., and the hardware you use (latter being in very, very minor role unless you are sporting a 40 dollar wheel and pedals) differ. "The faster guy just has a better setup, the faster guy is cheating, the faster guy has better pedals" etc. I have heard all the excuses. It's pretty mind blowing really how far people are going to go before they deny the truth.

That's why arenas are hated. When you are truly good you are within the best 1% or even less. Obviously 90 out 100 are not going to fall for that regime. The problem is that nearly everyone think that for some reason they are good. In simracing there's no way to hide your skill level. In all simplicity, your skill level is the the time you go around the track, the faster you are the better you are AND even then people try to deny the facts. Then take an MMO which in nature can never be 100% balanced and use a rating based system to rank one's skill level. Obviously the 99% people who aren't that good are not going to admit it's because of them. A player well within the best 1% can make pretty much any class work. For the rest who can't, or who plain suck, there's the FOTM excuses etc. etc. Obviously there are people who know their abilities but I say it's the majority who overestimate themselves a lot. It's human nature to think that when you hit your own limit there's just no possible way that someone else could go further.

In short, people don't want to admit that they are bad, no matter how hard facts there are against them. That's why they are never ever going to admit that when it comes to arena. Bad people don't want to do arena because they can't do well there unless they actually practice, but it's easier to deny the truth.

Arena will never be truly balanced, there will always be some classes and setups that have easier time. BUT THAT IS NOT THE REASON WHY YOU ARE STUCK AT 1500 RATING AND SOMEONE ELSE IS NEAR 3000!

Ps. I'm definitely not within the 1%.

Very few people in WoW actually liked or even participated in Arena, this is why the developers at WoW said it was a huge mistake. So much balancing for such a small segment of the population is simply not worth it, not to mention you actually never balance it and the game suffers on every front for it.

...and your response to that is to insult him and his opinion.

We reap what we sow. I'm more than happy to hurt peoples feelings when they post 'grow up l2p' responses. He didn't make a point, he said "Just grow up and admit you suck". I'm waiting on a response to my actual point though.

Edited by dcgregorya

Sorry I am confused, why would players who do not like the arena system claim they do not want it when it is a 100% voluntary action? There is a smaller minority of people who love arena who love the fact that your fighting on a ladder system, that there is zero chance of anyone interrupting your fight and it all comes down to you and your partners skill. Yes of course some balancing would take place on classes all arena would do is put a spot like on the too powerful classes so Bioware may allow balance. World of Warcraft had massive diversity in there classes that caused huge balance issues constantly, Swtor has very very similar mechanics entwined into each class that would save tones of nerf/buff patchs.

Things Swtor could do better to Arena type pvp

-> Same rewards for Arena pvp as all other type battlegrounds? (same gain rate, so people who only like arena dont have to play huttball against/with bots and afks.)

->I always felt the competitive edge of different gear was what made Arena fun the guy with the legendary hit hard that how it was supposed to work. Swtor could simply auto buff stats to the same level (just like low lvls in bgs) so that regardless of your gear it actually did come down to skill.

TLDR : Arenas were fun in wow, a lot of people used them. Why are there masses of people so against in a 100% voluntary action in a game?

if you add arena's right now with how patheticly unblanced and broken pvp is right now it will just be total chaos

That's why arenas are hated.

Arenas are hated because you'll have some combos that just beat other combos. My powertech, sorc, merc combo is greater than your operative, sniper, sorc combo. Etc.

And really there's so much broken with the game that adding it would just be yet another distraction from fixing the pain points for customers right now.

First off- let's fix up what's there first- they're fixing most of the differences in mirrors, and most of the animations delays in coming patches, so that'll settle most of that imbalance.

They'll still need to give an edge of some sort to the lesser numbered side- xp buffs being the most logical.

Ilum is too empty- they need to make something happen there that makes it worthwhile.

Adding arena, which is just another headache to balance- shouldn't be done til they've fixed what's already out.

As for why people don't like it- it's something done by few people, fewer people actually enjoy it- and it tends to give the best rewards.

Thing is, without the best rewards, nobody will do it. With better rewards, people will do it but hate it all the time. Why release something that won't be used OR will be hated by near everyone?

It destroyed World PvP in WoW and most players are casuals.

Casuals meaning they just want their pvp daily and thats it. Nobody wants competition.

The arguments for grinding gear are ridiculous. You'll have a game like SWG where you get the best equipment in 3 days and burn yourself out in 2 months.

Multiplayer dueling makes no sense. If they want a boxing or mma type of entertainment then it should be a 1v1 set up. 5 on 5 mma makes zero sense. Neither does objective less warfare in a rpg.

If you want to prove you are good at pvp excel at objective based pvp where you have to do more than fight. Arenas are checkers to battlegrounds/Warzones chess.

It is always funny when people act like arenas are a more advanced form of pvp. They are the simplest and most basic pvp possible. Only 1v1 dueling offers less.

Like i said though if they wanted to offer a mini game of dueling in an arena I think it would be fine. The biggest problem in wow was classes were being buffed and nerfed based on multiplayer dueling. That is bad management there.

I just dont see a good way to implement multiplayer dueling as it doesn't make sense on any level. Add to that the focus should be on the more complex and challenging objectives based pvp and I see no reason for it.

Do add a dueling minigame even with rankings and spectators. You can have titles and decrotive rewards but no actual valor or commendation rewards

I'm not against arena because it's arena, I'm against it because it's a waste of time. For the ultra competitive types - because they're just flunk outs from games with real competition, and for the casual types, because they can be better served by another warzone than an entirely separate game mode. It's a waste of time, effort and money.

i still cant agree with that state, cause is just another thing to do in-game, i dont expect arenas on swtor to be high skill capped or to call professional players to swtor , i just want arenas to have something more to do , something i can do only with 2 or 3 friends ,without depend on some randoms afking all the time , or without need to go to chat look for someone to play with, cause i need a group of 8 to do warzones :)

It is always funny when people act like arenas are a more advanced form of pvp. They are the simplest and most basic pvp possible. Only 1v1 dueling offers less.

arenas is close envyronment , everyone have all cds up , is all about how you use them , in warzone is not like that! you are just trying to hide behind something that doesnt make you seem bad and make you feel bad for it.

in WZ you can say 100000 excuses for why you fail without even think " was my fault" , in arena you cant do that , thats why no1 like arenas.

in warzone you can be a tank , you can not even have spells on bars , you carry the ball from the place to the base and you are good , in arena you need something more than that to be good , is different things , and cant be compared.

i think arena is good as the players who play it!

now in this thread i see 90% of the people saying arena is a bad thing dont put that ingame , if it comes i ll see that 90% crying here for nerfs , thats the problem of arenas =D

I see so many people making so many inaccurate or flat out false claims here it's rediculous lol.

Yes, they will fix what's out, they're working on it, no need for another "fix what's out post" that's not what this thread is about lmao.

An Arena system in SWTOR doesn't mean it has to work exactly like, or anything like, WoW's like most of you are screaming about, so those argument can stop as it makes no sense.

I would like to see some sort of arena system as it can be a ton of fun. You see, i'm a big boy, and as a big boy I don't run to the forums and cry to mommy (the dev) about how I got beat up. So so so so many mmo players are lil kids though, and that's why most mmos are bland and boring, cry until the game is trash.

You're assuming the arena system is going to be like WoW. I'm personally for an arena system, where they equalize expertise among all parties present. There is a ranking system, but rewards similar (albeit more controlled) than Champion level gear.

You can Warzone and hope you win games with idiots on your team to try and loot gear from bags - Completely fine, and if that's what floats your boat, so be it.

Or you can Arena with friends of your choice and steadily grind your way to full gear based on how good you are.

I'm completely for it. Bring in Arenas.

The only place you can really have something like this is designated tournament servers. This is something wow had the ability to do and maybe should have left them up full time.

Dedicated arena servers have big advantages, one of those being that everyone on the server loves arena. Let people create 50s of whatever they want and buy their gear off the vendors for free. Nothing to do on these except duel and arena so it has no impact.

Arena is great, I love it. One of the most challenging and rewarding things I have done in any game. The various complaints about it are valid as well. I have played a Tauren Warrior since vanilla and my partner in crime plays a Tauren Druid. She could be hit through pillars, and I could hit other people through them. The hitbox was normal for such a large model size, but created unfair advantages for me and disadvantages for her (same team). A fair change brought about by arena reduced the hitbox size of thr race to that of smaller races and affected an entire race whether they liked pvp or not. PVE tanking was a little awkward after that because the mobs feel like they are standing too close. Just one example and not even a big one.

The other mistake was not putting in rated battlegrounds (warzones) at the same time. There are a lot of people who just prefer objective based games and larger group pvp.

Rated warzones, yes. Arena not with the bugs and preferrably on dedicated servers.

Edited by Kolbenito

I need a system like arenas to keep playing the game, warzones will become boring after a while, if there is no other outlet for your pvp needs, then warzones will be a farming spot for gear,

I just bough another month of this game, and i really need to see pvp fixes and other modes or something to continue playing, that's just how i feel, and i know many other does aswell.

PS: World pvp could be huge in this game, it has potential.

How can arenas, which are just a part of Warzones be exciting but Warzones be boring.

As of now you can be a complete mess at your class and in WZ's, and still have access to high end PvP gear/titles.Once Arena comes out those players won't have the same access to high end gear/titles and feel it shouldn't be in the game.

It's the same as the casual PvEers who also don't want damage meters in game.

People who want damage meters and people who want arenas do have something in common. They both want more dumbed down gameplay. Pve without meters is more challenging and pvp with objectives is more challenging.

The best part is both groups pass off their desire for an easier game as skill and expertise. It is quite funny. You see it in this thread and the damage meter threads. The insults, telling others they need to l2p and are scared all while asking for dumbed down and easier game play.

Rated Warzones are what real pvp players want not multi player dueling.

-nods-

I understand that...but e-sport it is, and it still comes down to balancing the game around it. If Bioware could completely divorce the system from the rest of the game, so that balance issues are not a concern then it "might" work. But then one would have to ask, why play an MMO in the first place...there are lots of more balanced competition games out there that play much better.

It is impossible to seperate the balance issues. It is not like people will not scream like banshees about imbalance. Beyond that it would take resources away from the rest of pvp. Compare huttball to arenas, there is no comparison that huttball was a creative game that took some thought. Arenas literally took no thought at all. I would rather do what others talk about and have competive huttball. Create leagues and schedules, have multiple arenas teams can have for their home games etc etc. That is a way better plan for compelling game play then multi player dueling.

People act like arena was some genius game development. It is barely an idea. "hey let's have 3v3 death match in a room". We should be asking for more than that.

Create engaging competive and creative gameplay not just a way for people to peacock about their dueling skills.

why should ******* who afk have the same gear chances/gear as skilled players who dedicate themselves to learning strats, comps and becoming better. also, same rewards available via rated BG's that also prove your worth.

bad players are and always have been against arena, because clickers simply can't compete. coming from a gladiator. I never even hesitated to take a new player to a raid if he had a good arena title because i knew he would most likely be more solid then some scumbag who could "farm bg's"

I can't even believe people would question the idea of skill based loot. sigh, bad players want hand outs from an rng system compared to trying hard to attain a goal.

Why should anyone get any gear or rewards for dueling in an mmorpg?