Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Troubled by Rapid Response

Clipped_Wolf

Hello,

I suggest if you want a giggle-worthy sad-sack military, you turn your gaze to Star Trek's Starfleet. The old Star Trek vs Star Wars site had a wonderful analysis of Trek's military that made me giggle all day long.

I love Trek even more than Star Wars, but I couldn't deny that even the Rebel Alliance fielded a more effective military force than Starfleet.

But Starwars ground forces still fight like its the fricken Civil War.

But Starwars ground forces still fight like its the fricken Civil War.

Hello,

To some degree, yes. But they still manage to be more diverse and effective than Trek ground forces. They have armored vehicles, troop transports, scouting craft, squad support weapons, shield generators, anti-aircraft weapons, attack drones, and artillery.

If I had to fight a ground engagement, I’d rather choose from Star Wars gear rather than Trek gear, which would leave me with phaser pistols lacking sights and rifles that break when you hit someone with them. And may a friendly deity help you if transporter activity is somehow blocked by the 100 situations that block it (including storms!) because the Trek mobility arsenal is limited to shuttles and dune buggies if the transporter goes out.

Agreed.

The Twi'lek's in this game look nothing like the Twi'lek's I've associated with in RL. I've been borderline offended at their depiction, to be honest.

It's understandable you're somewhat offended by how Twi'leks look in this game. For Republic male Twi'leks You have a total of 12 face choices, which is itself lamentable, but dig this: Although you have 12 choices you really only have 3 main choices, a "White" face, an "E. Asian" face, and a "Black" face. Each of those 3 choices has 4 selections which SLIGHTLY changes the shading on the face. For an MMO of this caliber that is just unacceptable. Honestly, it's downright pathetic. Black guy, White guy, Asian guy - sounds like the opener of a dirty and offensive joke, doesn't it? Well it is... SWTOR character creation.

Give what I've said there it's odd your forum name here, IIII-IIII-IIII, Because that's pretty much Twi'lek face choices broken down. I must ask, was that intentional?

(Note I am not bashing you in any way whatsoever)

Edited by Shortwave

How about this quest I just finished where you fight all these bad guys and then meet this giant....huge, buffed, armored, and a generally all around scary looking alien...then his dialoge started...

Sounded like he came straight from the beach.

"Dude, where's my speeder?"

Like, totally tubular!

It's understandable you're somewhat offended by how Twi'leks look in this game. For Republic male Twi'leks You have a total of 12 face choices, which is itself lamentable, but dig this: Although you have 12 choices you really only have 3 main choices, a "White" face, an "E. Asian" face, and a "Black" face. Each of those 3 choices has 4 selections which SLIGHTLY changes the shading on the face. For an MMO of this caliber that is just unacceptable. Honestly, it's downright pathetic. Black guy, White guy, Asian guy - sounds like the opener of a dirty and offensive joke, doesn't it? Well it is... SWTOR character creation.

Give what I've said there it's odd your forum name here, IIII-IIII-IIII, Because that's pretty much Twi'lek face choices broken down. I must ask, was that intentional?

(Note I am not bashing you in any way whatsoever)

*pats your head*

I think you gave far more credibility to my response than it deserved.

How about this quest I just finished where you fight all these bad guys and then meet this giant....huge, buffed, armored, and a generally all around scary looking alien...then his dialoge started...

Sounded like he came straight from the beach.

"Dude, where's my speeder?"

Like, totally tubular!

I have no idea who this NPC is but I already want to shoot him in the mouth.

I tend to agree with the OP. It's like watching a war movie that didn't actually hire any ex-military as a consultant. It could be argued that it's in a fictional galaxy thousands of years ago and things are different. But most military organizations here on earth have the same basic protocols for hundreds of years so it's easy to expect similarities.

These obviously aren't a big deal, especially to those who never served, but it does snap me out of the story.

Tbh, I find that less absurd.

Pfft! I should have expected this. I saw a sad charactature of a few of my bad days, minus the smell and the heat.

No I didn't expect, or want, reality. I wanted fantasy. The situation was real enough to trigger memories but critical details were wrong and the scene offended.

I'll go back to playing my Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight, fantasy characters for a fantasy universe.

Edited by Clipped_Wolf

Fuse, a supposed battle-hardened demolishion expert sounding like an angst ridden teenage boy was ridiculous and annoying,
I take it you didn't actually pay attention to the Trooper storyline. Fuse gets, what, two lines on Ord Mantell, and they establish that he's kind of a scatterbrained push-over and not a "battle-hardened" anything. Dude knows how to make bombs explode and that's about it.

When my friends playing through the Trooper storyline got to Tatooine and saw what was going on there when you land, they all said, "Wait, why is Fuse doing this? Wasn't he the shy, nice guy?" He's most definitely not a hardass like the rest of Havoc Squad.

I tend to agree with the OP. It's like watching a war movie that didn't actually hire any ex-military as a consultant. It could be argued that it's in a fictional galaxy thousands of years ago and things are different. But most military organizations here on earth have the same basic protocols for hundreds of years so it's easy to expect similarities.

These obviously aren't a big deal, especially to those who never served, but it does snap me out of the story.

It's what happens to military discipline when you have random civillians (a.k.a. jedi) as on again/off again officers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.