Dealbreaker: STOP Calling me "Sir"!!!

CiIantro

Sir is a military thing and can, at times of extreme authority, be used as a gender neutral term. It really depends where you are(country/region) and this is in space so quit complaining about the game not conforming to your cultural norms. Besides, mam has certain gender roles attached to it while sir is simply a recognition of authority.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in the US military for 8 1/2 years and no female officer is ever called Sir. Maybe in other countries, but not in the US.

As far as SW universe, I believe it's always been that way.

I was in the army about 20 years ago, and I thought I remembered being taunt to address them as ma'am. Being in a combat unit at the time, I don't ever recall having to face the issue because there were none around.

It is standard military protocol to address all officers, regardless of gender, as "Sir".

2nd this. If it REALLY bothers you that much, try playing as a Jedi (or any other non-military based story line), this doesn't happen within those stories! I may be wrong though, I haven't played through an entire story line yet, just what I've seen in the stories I've done.

'Sir' is the title given to knights in feudal times. Since women were not allowed to fight, there were no female knights to be called sir.

It's still the title given to knights :p

Women still can't be a Knight Bachelor or a Knight Banneret (not that one of those has been created since 1642). They generally get made a KBE instead, which gives them the title Dame. Men appointed as KBEs are still Sir (and their wives are styled Lady).

(Obviously this is just how it works in the UK)

Edited by HELhikari

In the Lore Codex that explains the Star Wars Republic Military Organization

Something like

"Because the Republic military is diverse with different species, holding rank all officers are called 'Sir' regardless of gender."

Edited by Seravie

Actually I was in the air force back between 92-96 and they had just made the transition from calling female officers 'sir'. So, yes, although you don't hear it much anymore, they used to call them sir. For those of you that have never heard that, it may have been before your time.

Also, in Star Wars, there is a lore item you can find that explains the rank system and Seargent is an officer in this system. Not an NCO so they would be saluted and called Sir.

It is standard military protocol to address all officers, regardless of gender, as "Sir".

Not sure about the Navy but not in the Marines or Army. Air Force is alright... except you refer to women of higher rank as Ma'am.

Army and Marines want their NCOs referred by their rank more then just Sir or Ma'am. They can get really upset about it.

Edited by Kabloosh

Not sure about the Navy but not in the Marines or Army. Air Force is alright... except you refer to women of higher rank as Ma'am.

Army and Marines want their NCOs referred by their rank more then just Sir or Ma'am. They can get really upset about it.

Naval Officers are called Ma'am.

And yeah, trying calling a Sergeant Major "Sir" lol. They don't like having their hard work belittled.

In the Lore Codex that explains the Star Wars Republic Military Organization

Something like

"Because the Republic military is diverse with different species, holding rank all officers are called 'Sir' regardless of gender."

Indeed, how would you call someone from a genderless species if you don't use unified honorifics? People need to stop thinking the sw universe is the same as ours >< Neither the laws of physics are the same nor the cultural or moral values.

No it isn't.

You should serve in the military before you start talking about it like you know about it.

It annoyed me that the General was being called Sir, because I served in the Marine Corps, and we call NCOs and Officers Sir if they are male and Ma'am if they are female.

Edit: NCOs are called by their rank not sir or ma'am sorry mistype

Edited by Tortoises

No it isn't.

You should serve in the military before you start talking about it like you know about it.

It annoyed me that the General was being called Sir, because I served in the Marine Corps, and we call NCOs and Officers Sir if they are male and Ma'am if they are female.

No we don't. We call officers Sir or Ma'am and NCO's by their rank.

Flippin' boot :p

Edited by SamuraBob_Fl

people use to call women sir in the real world too. it was common practice in the old times to call the lady above you sir just like anyone else above you. it's not a matter of male or female, it's simply signifying that you acknowledge that the person is above you in rank and power. Edited by Kneemo

No it isn't.

When reporting, or crossing paths, we were expected to use ma'am, but in all the ftx we did the female co's made it a point to tell us to just use sir. It saved time and thought processes better used elsewhere.

However one of the other posters is right. Most if not all the branches during the 90's transitioned from using sir for both genders, to ma'am for the female co's. . That doesn't mean some units had already switched/preferred ma'am beforehand.