The Travel System Is Severely Hurting The Gameplay!

Landara

No offense but if wasting 9 minutes is nothing to you, you got way too much free time. Not to mention obviously this isn't a one time thing.

The point was that people were completely over exaggerating when saying that it took them 35 minutes just to travel to a guildmate when most of the time it only takes a little over 5 minutes to get to another person when you use quick travel.

And that when comparing to other mmos, 5 minutes isn't that long.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point was that people were completely over exaggerating when saying that it took them 35 minutes just to travel to a guildmate when most of the time it only takes a little over 5 minutes to get to another person when you use quick travel.

And that when comparing to other mmos, 5 minutes isn't that long.

Yet you somehow feel those ill-spent 5 minutes much more. And that's what makes people complain about the travel time. Add to this the constant loading screens and you get a very jarring experience.

Yet you somehow feel those ill-spent 5 minutes much more. And that's what makes people complain about the travel time. Add to this the constant loading screens and you get a very jarring experience.

I don't. I have a hard time believing people are complaining because the five minutes "feels longer." Five minutes is five minutes. And it's not a long time to get from one planet to another.

I love the personal starship, the personalities of my companions on-board, and the feeling of the galaxy being big even though it really isn't. I agree with the OP, though. There's WAY too much "fat", and this isn't the only instance of it.

Look at solo questing. They went with the same idea there too. Make mobs hit stupid hard and have really high healthpools so the leveling experience feels more epic. What we actually get out of it? More time spent leveling than at 50 and there's still nothing to do except queue for Warzones.

Great game, massive potential, there's just fat in areas where it's not necessary.

The problem I have with the current system, yes there's a lot of load screens, but more importantly that the travelling is done in hubs that look exactly the same as the other. In the beautiful star wars universe, I wish more of this walking time could be transferred to perhaps on the actual planet where there's an environment to immerse yourself in. I definitely do not feel immersed in a space shuttle, I feel somewhat frustrated.

*sigh* So much this. I was actually disappointed when I found out that all the Flashpoints were accessed through just one big room. But I'm much more disappointed by the dead time getting back to the rest of the game from that room.

I don't mind traveling... when it's through a place that actually has meaning. When there are things I can do (and by that, I mostly mean kill things and take their stuff, especially if they're things that have harvestable bodies) along the way, or even the necessary maneuvering to dodge mobs, it doesn't feel quite as tedious.

The spaceports and especially the orbital stations don't have any of that appeal. They're pure, identical tedium, with nothing there except an explicit timesink. You can't even access a planet's fast travel network until you waddle out of the spaceport. (and I'm really not a fan of the 'invisible shuttle' nature of fast travel, but it's a convenience compromise)

I spend too much time 'immersed' in airports and parking garages in the real world to want to spend recreational time on them. If there's going to be an occasional shootout I have to wade through to get to my ship, sure, fine. But as it is, it's just the exact same, dull path that my character should be able to pull off while reading a book, fiddling with their lightsaber, or whatever. At least there's no waiting in line for patdowns, though I expect those customs droids tingle. Bottom line is, I really think that the 99% of the time that there's absolutely no point in traversing from your ship to the spaceport's antechamber (where there are often a few questgivers) your should have the option for your ship door to send you out there, and have scripted encounters be scripted encounters and that's it.

Edited by squidheadjax

my vote is to leave travel as it is. aint broken IMO.

I am for this. However, back during beta they played with a method of allowing players in a group to be called to your location IF you were already on the same planet. Worked well as I recall but was removed for some reason prior to the final beta before launch.

Why does everyone want instant travel so bad? Why not enjoy the landscape the devs worked so hard to lay out for everyone. I for one think ista-port to anywhere in WoW was ridiculous.

Landscape? The bulk of the travel time is loading screens and the inside of spaceports that are virtually identical across all planets.

I don't mind all the actual traveling. I do mind the load screens. They're excruciatingly long.

To be honest, I quite like travelling the way it is now. Yes it takes a while but going from one planet to another should take a bit longer then going from the forest to the nearby mountains.

They are already very generous with the quick travel options. Perhaps one concession would be the ability to quick travel to your class hanger for that planet, or inside the space port.

Severe hurting is a good way to put it. I'm leaning towards the travel system has already hurt the gameplay, and cause many to leave.

All Bioware had to do was get some people to moderate the forums properly, by interacting with the community.

People were pointing out this issue from day 1. Bioware didn't listen. Now they pay the price, just like all the other mistakes they made that are costing them subscriptions.

I agree 100% !!!

Immersion is all well and good, but this is way overboard.

The steps necessary to get from point A to point B are astonishing.

Just to add... questing is painful due to the topic at hand.

Edited by Malsidius

You kids never played FFXI obviously, and WoW is no better for travel time at all because you wil HAVE to fly and that takes time. Oh and Mages can only open portals to cities not anywhere in the world.

TBH I can get arround in this game faster than any other MMO I have played. If your that bothered get an authenticator and use the special vender to buy a 1,000 credit fleet pass that has a 1hr or 30 minute cool down (dunno don't have one or see the need for one).

PPl are soooo lazy

I figured thats what the drop pods were going to be for... Instead of doing all that stuff, you can just fly above the zone, and drop pod yourself to your guildmate. Now that i think of it... What the heck is the drop pod for anyways?

Getting rid of air locks would be a good start, or at least make it automated cinema of your character running through it.

I do not think travel should be too easy, but I think small steps to improve speed would help. Too easy would ruin the experience.

Edited by tylersavesworld

Well, I was reading some of this forum. I read some of the posts talking about how the WoW travel system is better. I read about some people not wanting to help guildmates because it takes them 45 min to travel from planet to planet...some people said 35 minutes some said 25.

I was bored and decided to time myself. I was doing dailies in Ilum and decided to run a little timed run. I decided to try out the 14 step process listed at the beginning of this thread because after all if it's a 14 step process which has to take 45 minutes.

I was at Coords (X,Y): 89, -14 on Ilum. My destination I decided on was Belsavis Frontline Camp.

I.....

1- Rode on mount to speeder guy from 89,-14

2- Clicked this speeder guy to go to spaceport/shuttle.

3- Ran to shuttle click on menu go to orbital spacedock.

4- Took shuttle to spacedock.

5- Entered an empty and completely pointless spacedock. Ran to other end.

6- Clicked on another door to get on my ship. (LOADING SCREEN ALERT)

7- Entered ship. Use Galaxy Map and more menus to select planet Belsavis.

8- Ship "traveled" to Belsavis.

9- Ran back down to the door of ship, click door.

10- NOT Four minute (LOADING SCREEN ALERT)

11- Oh great, ANOTHER Orbital Spacedock(!)

12- Ran to end of another empty and pointless hallway in space.

13- Clicked shuttle to go back down to planet.

14- Found speeder guy, took speeder to Belsavis Frontline Camp.

After I did this 14 step program I hit the STOP button on my stopwatch on my phone and looked down. To my surprise, it was only 8 min 48.41 seconds. Not 45 minutes, not 35, not even 25 minutes as some people suggested.

If you can't take a little under 9 minutes to travel to a guildmate, then you shouldn't be their guildmate.

And just to make things even more interesting, I timed myself taking the same trip in reverse (from Belsavis to Ilum), except this time I used Quick Travel. It only took 5 min 20.91 seconds.

If you can't take a little over 5 minutes to travel to a guildmate, then you shouldn't be their guildmate.

I'm not saying that the travel system is perfect with all the airlocks or anything like that. I just don't like seeing people COMPLETELY over exaggerate travel times....it doesn't take THAT long to get from point a to point b.

I'm all for improvement in the game however it may occur, but don't start whining about how WoW has 10 min flight paths and that's ok because I can go afk to go take one in the bathroom. BUT it's not ok to have 5-9 minutes in between travel times in SWtOR.

And I did these tests on my laptop with the following specs which aren't that great and barely pass the recommended settings although my video card doesn't pass lol. Also, I did it over a wireless network which was a MiFi wireless card from verizon.

My System

CPU: Intel Core i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz

RAM: 4 GB

Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

512 MB video RAM

Recommended Settings

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor 2.4GHz or better

RAM: 4GB RAM or higher

Video: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4850 or better

512MB minimum video RAM

Edited by Shaudellx

9 minutes is best case scenario. Last night, despite having every flight path in Voss, it took me nearly 15 minutes to get to a guildmate to help him, and he was on Voss as well! I was way down south, he was way up north. It took over 5 minutes of riding to get to a flight path, and then at least 5 minutes to fly, then another 5 to ride to where he was. I timed it, not stopping for anything at all it took like 13.5 minutes. So imagine if I also had to come from another planet. AND if it had taken me 10 minutes of running/flying to get off of that planet. Of course, Quick Travel may have been up and at the best it would have saved 5 minutes. You are still looking at 25 minutes one way and 20 the other. 45 minutes of traveling and 2 minutes of helping a guildmate kill one class boss is NOT ok.

It's the ridiculously pointless airlocks (the short linear corridors), followed by the running through a shuttlebay, that annoy me the most.

If you could run into a spaceport, click the elevator button, and then appear inside your ship (with a skippable cinematic showing this taking place for those that like watching that kinda thing over and over and over every time they change their location), that alone would make travel a whole lot nicer.

Likewise when you exit your ship - you should be dumped right into the spaceport, on the planet itself, outside of the class-specific elevator entrance, without having to run through an airlock and then a small orbital platform thing that requires a shuttle down.

I have to also add - WHY are there class-specific elevator entrances? Why isn't there a single entrance to go to your ship? This makes no sense at all as to why each of the 4 main classes gets their own shuttlebay at every single location and planet.

I don't think people would mind 10 to 15 minute journeys so much if they could afk through them, it's the fact that it requires constant interaction, and multiple loadscreens - the majority of those loading screens loading in blatantly pointless repetitive areas that don't even let you use a speeder.

I agree, the thing I like least about the game so far is the amount of time it takes to get from one world to another. The orbital spacedocks are a pure timesink; I can understand why they might exist in a couple situations, but all they do is add that much more running-around time. Couldn't we just have a cutscene showing us land at the orbital station and taking a shuttle to the planet instead of having to actually run all over the station over and over?

Even something as simple as allowing personal speeder transport through spacedocks and spaceports would speed things up.